New Ninjak series by Jeff Parker and Javier Pulido

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

TheFerg714
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: July 2014
Favorite character: Archer
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp
New Ninjak series by Jeff Parker and Javier Pulido

Post by TheFerg714 »

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.
Re: New Ninjak series by Jeff Parker and Javier Pulido

Post by nycjadie »

It's not looking good for Valiant these days.

Dallow Spicer1
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Not sure what to make of this. The writing concept sounds decent, not sure about the art. If the story is good then I can probably get on board.

SwiftMann
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: Solar
Favorite title: 90s Shadowman

Post by SwiftMann »

I havent seen much of his recent work but I usually dig Pulido's work. Need to see this stuff colored though. Seems... odd in these black and white previews.

Jeff Parker is usually a solid writer. Interman was a pretty good read, but that was a long time ago now.
"If you think any of these [older comics/shows/movies] do not carry a political content and is not using the medium of science fiction to explore real-world ideas, than you have not been paying attention." - Dan Abnett, VCR #246

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

Jeff Parker’s Agents of Atlas series was one of my all time favorites. He does some good superhero/spy stuff.

The art looks... :/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

Ryan
Clinkin' bottles with Aram

Post by Ryan »

Wow this actually looks interesting. Kudos to Valiant for trying something different.

Might be tough to swallow for people used to photorealistic art styles, but Pulido is a master storyteller in the tradition of David Mazzucchelli and Frank Miller. Don't let the seeming simplicity fool you. I remember he did a great run on Human Target a long time ago, he's excellent at urban espionage stories. Here's hoping for a 12+ issue run :thumb:

syzhang28

Post by syzhang28 »

A solid team but presented in the announcement with zero awareness of the contrast between this and literally every other major appearance of Ninjak. No thought put towards making sure the first reaction of Ninjak fans (who along with many die hard Valiant readers have openly talked about the preference for photo real art) isn't confusion or negativity. Honestly, I think they would have done better to make this an additional take on Ninjak to a more traditional book or even a story within a longer series with more traditional art. I mean just look at the contrast (no comment on the art itself here just the contrast and the lack of acknowledgment of it):

geocarr
Those responsible for those remarks have been sacked.
Favorite character: Vincent the Goat!
Favorite title: All of them!

Post by geocarr »

I'm willing to try it and will assume it will be good until proven otherwise.
***Support your local farmers!***

nycjadie

Post by nycjadie »

As I wrote on FB. I consume all types of comics in all different styles. In fact, I prefer less realistic work. However, this is such a departure from the last few volumes, I think I’m going to have a hard time with it. It seems, based on the cover and interior work that has been leaked, to be an even more major departure from vol 1 to 2, the Acclaim years.

Not sure about this one, but the cover A is definitely not a Mazzuchelli or a Miller.

darkwingdan
Working on the first full appearance of me
Working on the first full appearance of me
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: Ninjak
Favorite title: The Valiant
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Tomas Giorello

Post by darkwingdan »

It's such a departure from past Ninjak series, that I was very thrown off initially by this announcement. However, Pulido's art reminds me a lot of Stan Sakai's style, which I can definitely get behind.

I'm honestly more excited by Jeff Parker coming on to write. He took over Aquaman after Geoff Johns left, and I found his work to be even better than Johns. His Batman '66 work is phenomenal too, as is his Agents of Atlas at Marvel.

IMJ
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O Manowar #1
Favorite character: VH1 Sting | VH2 Rai
Favorite title: VH2 Rai
Favorite writer: Kurt Busiek
Favorite artist: Sean Chen

Post by IMJ »

nycjadie wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:18:15 pm It's not looking good for Valiant these days.
Its like they are trying to be the kind of comic company that liberal arts college freshman talk about with the one or two seniors who still hang out in the campus coffee house.

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

syzhang28 wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:25:17 pm A solid team but presented in the announcement with zero awareness of the contrast between this and literally every other major appearance of Ninjak. No thought put towards making sure the first reaction of Ninjak fans (who along with many die hard Valiant readers have openly talked about the preference for photo real art) isn't confusion or negativity. Honestly, I think they would have done better to make this an additional take on Ninjak to a more traditional book or even a story within a longer series with more traditional art. I mean just look at the contrast (no comment on the art itself here just the contrast and the lack of acknowledgment of it):
Valid points. If anything VEI in the past has leaned more into photo real art styles than other companies. They seemed to even prefer the 'pencil rendering with painterly colors' style that looks more like than photos as opposed to traditional 'cartoons' with their bold ink lines.
nycjadie wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:58:04 am As I wrote on FB. I consume all types of comics in all different styles. In fact, I prefer less realistic work. However, this is such a departure from the last few volumes, I think I’m going to have a hard time with it. It seems, based on the cover and interior work that has been leaked, to be an even more major departure from vol 1 to 2, the Acclaim years.

Not sure about this one, but the cover A is definitely not a Mazzuchelli or a Miller.
To be clear, I'm not talking about Batman: Year One but the later era Mazzuchelli and Miller when they both simplified their styles down to the essentials. for example:

To me this Ninjak preview even has a bit of a Herge Tintin in it.

But yeah it couldn't be more of a departure from the previous volumes. I also think this should either be a reboot or alternate universe kind of thing. The people who like this take and want to get the back story of the character aren't going to like the previous volumes, and vice versa people who are fans of VEI Ninjak are going to find this hard to swallow as part of the same story. The styles are just extremely opposite.

syzhang28

Post by syzhang28 »

Ryan wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:48:42 am
syzhang28 wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:25:17 pm A solid team but presented in the announcement with zero awareness of the contrast between this and literally every other major appearance of Ninjak. No thought put towards making sure the first reaction of Ninjak fans (who along with many die hard Valiant readers have openly talked about the preference for photo real art) isn't confusion or negativity. Honestly, I think they would have done better to make this an additional take on Ninjak to a more traditional book or even a story within a longer series with more traditional art. I mean just look at the contrast (no comment on the art itself here just the contrast and the lack of acknowledgment of it):
Valid points. If anything VEI in the past has leaned more into photo real art styles than other companies. They seemed to even prefer the 'pencil rendering with painterly colors' style that looks more like than photos as opposed to traditional 'cartoons' with their bold ink lines.
I think it feels that way because they did a really good job of setting expectations with the books. They had plenty of art that wasn't 'pencil rendering with painterly colors' but they set them up to do well like The Valiant and Paolo Rivera which didn't make anyone feel like it was taking away from a character or book they wanted but instead gave them something in addition. Same with Raul Allen on Secret Weapons. Tom Fowler on Quantum and Woody. Roberto De La Torre on Doctor Mirage or when Jeff Lemire or Matt Kindt with draw like Bloodsquirt. Just compare any of these to Clay Mann and Tomas Giorello above. Even though we think of Valiant as the style these two use under Dinesh it was very smartly diverse in art and even smarter in easing into the new styles.

Not to disagree just excited to post more art

BugsySig
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

IMJ wrote:
nycjadie wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:18:15 pm It's not looking good for Valiant these days.
Its like they are trying to be the kind of comic company that liberal arts college freshman talk about with the one or two seniors who still hang out in the campus coffee house.
Dude, could you sound more deuchey?

Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

agent_graves
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Valiant fan since: Since VEI(Turok #1?)
Favorite character: Divinity/Shadowman/LiveWire
Favorite title: Divinity/Imperium/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Dysart
Favorite artist: Mann/Cafu/De la Torre

Post by agent_graves »

:| :| :|
#StayValiant

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

BugsySig wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:35:45 pm
IMJ wrote:

Yes. He could be the seniors from the analogy.

I am having a hard time getting a clear picture from that analogy, but it carries the ring of truth to it.

nycjadie

Post by nycjadie »

Ryan wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:48:42 am
nycjadie wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:58:04 am As I wrote on FB. I consume all types of comics in all different styles. In fact, I prefer less realistic work. However, this is such a departure from the last few volumes, I think I’m going to have a hard time with it. It seems, based on the cover and interior work that has been leaked, to be an even more major departure from vol 1 to 2, the Acclaim years.

To be clear, I'm not talking about Batman: Year One but the later era Mazzuchelli and Miller when they both simplified their styles down to the essentials. for example:

To me this Ninjak preview even has a bit of a Herge Tintin in it.

But yeah it couldn't be more of a departure from the previous volumes. I also think this should either be a reboot or alternate universe kind of thing. The people who like this take and want to get the back story of the character aren't going to like the previous volumes, and vice versa people who are fans of VEI Ninjak are going to find this hard to swallow as part of the same story. The styles are just extremely opposite.
I love the Wolverine!

Have you seen the newish Absolute Batman: Year one? It's awesome! It has Mazzuchelli's artwork for the various collected editions over the years, along with his thoughts and process on them. It's my favorite part of the new set, besides of course the new colouring.

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

syzhang28 wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:59:02 am I think it feels that way because they did a really good job of setting expectations with the books. They had plenty of art that wasn't 'pencil rendering with painterly colors' but they set them up to do well like The Valiant and Paolo Rivera which didn't make anyone feel like it was taking away from a character or book they wanted but instead gave them something in addition. Same with Raul Allen on Secret Weapons. Tom Fowler on Quantum and Woody. Roberto De La Torre on Doctor Mirage or when Jeff Lemire or Matt Kindt with draw like Bloodsquirt. Just compare any of these to Clay Mann and Tomas Giorello above. Even though we think of Valiant as the style these two use under Dinesh it was very smartly diverse in art and even smarter in easing into the new styles.
That's true, over the years they had a lot of variety and mostly did a good job of matching style to project. I was thinking about painted pencil style more since it was used in X-O a lot. It does give a certain cinematic quality, even though I usually prefer old school inky styles. VEI didn't have a house style, but if you could pick one book or style that you think typifies VEI, what would it be? off the top of my head Giorello, Nord, Braithwaite, and Ryp all used the used the un-inked painted pencils approach, which seemed like a bulk of the action (non-humor) books. My personal favorite was Paolo Rivera but that was only one mini so can't really count as the dominant style. Interesting that I think one of the early designers (or maybe he only did a few covers?) was David Aja whose style is quite similar to Javier Pulido. :hm:
nycjadie wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:29:43 pm I love the Wolverine!

Have you seen the newish Absolute Batman: Year one? It's awesome! It has Mazzuchelli's artwork for the various collected editions over the years, along with his thoughts and process on them. It's my favorite part of the new set, besides of course the new colouring.
No, I need to check that out. I recently got the Born Again Artisan edition which is really fun since it's actually a readable version of the Artists edition and you can still see a lot of the details of the original art. and only 32 bucks instead of 200 haha

TheFerg714

Post by TheFerg714 »

geocarr wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:33:22 pm I'm willing to try it and will assume it will be good until proven otherwise.
lol why?

TheFerg714

Post by TheFerg714 »

oops
Last edited by TheFerg714 on Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:53:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

IMJ
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O Manowar #1
Favorite character: VH1 Sting | VH2 Rai
Favorite title: VH2 Rai
Favorite writer: Kurt Busiek
Favorite artist: Sean Chen

Post by IMJ »

BugsySig wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:35:45 pm
IMJ wrote:

Yup. Definitely could. :roll:

geocarr
Favorite character: Vincent the Goat!
Favorite title: All of them!

Post by geocarr »

TheFerg714 wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:37:11 pm
geocarr wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:33:22 pm I'm willing to try it and will assume it will be good until proven otherwise.
lol why?
Just my affection for and attachment to the VALIANT Universe characters and my belief that these characters and VALIANT universe have a similar potential to Marvel and DC characters and universes. I really just don't want to give up and almost refuse to do so. I also allow for the possibility that the passage of time will change how I feel about some of the post-Dinesh material. I've been VALIANT since 1991 and along the way my feelings about the bulk of post-Unity VH1 have worsened. My feelings about roughly half the Acclaim output have improved a lot from what they were years ago. Of course I love almost everything VEI produced under Dinesh and my opinions of the first Eternal Warrior and Shadowman series have improved with re-reads. Maybe post-Dinesh VEI will get better and/or maybe my opinions of their creative output will. I'm not helping my cause any by assuming VEI is producing garbage with characters I love, so I choose to give them the benefit of a doubt until proven otherwise. I'm setting up myself and VEI to win. I know I'll do my part as a fan and I certainly hope they [VEI] do theirs.
***Support your local farmers!***

Juki
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Divinity
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Adam Gorham

Post by Juki »

geocarr wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:40:30 am
TheFerg714 wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:37:11 pm
lol why?
Just my affection for and attachment to the VALIANT Universe characters and my belief that these characters and VALIANT universe have a similar potential to Marvel and DC characters and universes. I really just don't want to give up and almost refuse to do so. I also allow for the possibility that the passage of time will change how I feel about some of the post-Dinesh material. I've been VALIANT since 1991 and along the way my feelings about the bulk of post-Unity VH1 have worsened. My feelings about roughly half the Acclaim output have improved a lot from what they were years ago. Of course I love almost everything VEI produced under Dinesh and my opinions of the first Eternal Warrior and Shadowman series have improved with re-reads. Maybe post-Dinesh VEI will get better and/or maybe my opinions of their creative output will. I'm not helping my cause any by assuming VEI is producing garbage with characters I love, so I choose to give them the benefit of a doubt until proven otherwise. I'm setting up myself and VEI to win. I know I'll do my part as a fan and I certainly hope they [VEI] do theirs.
:thumb: Well said.

GammaJosh
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Barry Kitson

Post by GammaJosh »

Wow, I just don't understand how they could shake up such a perennial household name like Ninjak! Doesn't Valiant realize that hordes of die-hard Ninjak fans from all walks of life, all across the globe will descend on their offices with pitchforks and torches if they don't treat this, the gold standard of Batman and James Bond ripoffs, with the respect that it's poor-to-middling sales history demands?!?!

I don't know guys, I think if you wanted Valiant editorial to pander to your tastes you should have had a lot more kids and forced them to buy all the same comics you do. Clearly there's not enough of you to have a tantrum and get your way. What does Valiant have to lose by changing things up? Almost nothing. They have everything to gain by trying something different.

Pullido's art is not my exact cup of tea, but I betcha the layouts read as smooth as silk, and if Parker's scripts are any good this will be an enjoyable series.

The Chosen 1
My posts can all fit in a short box
My posts can all fit in a short box
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Ninjak
Favorite title: Ninjak
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart
Favorite artist: Lewis Larosa

Post by The Chosen 1 »

GammaJosh wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:41:48 pm Wow, I just don't understand how they could shake up such a perennial household name like Ninjak! Doesn't Valiant realize that hordes of die-hard Ninjak fans from all walks of life, all across the globe will descend on their offices with pitchforks and torches if they don't treat this, the gold standard of Batman and James Bond ripoffs, with the respect that it's poor-to-middling sales history demands?!?!

I don't know guys, I think if you wanted Valiant editorial to pander to your tastes you should have had a lot more kids and forced them to buy all the same comics you do. Clearly there's not enough of you to have a tantrum and get your way. What does Valiant have to lose by changing things up? Almost nothing. They have everything to gain by trying something different.

Pullido's art is not my exact cup of tea, but I betcha the layouts read as smooth as silk, and if Parker's scripts are any good this will be an enjoyable series.
Well said. With readership around 5000, maybe less if people are getting variants, they need to broaden their appeal. I hear good things about the writer and artist, and im looking forward to giving it a chance.
The Force is with Me, I am One with the Force