Valiant appoints a THIRD senior editor!!

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Dallow Spicer1
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa
Valiant appoints a THIRD senior editor!!

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Newsarama announce that David Wohl is to become yet another senior editor at Valiant. Apparently he co-created Witchblade and the Darkness as has been an editor at Marvel. He’s been in the industry 35 years so at least he’s paid his dues.

He can’t do any worse than the last 2 years and if he waters down Heather Antos’ influence then even better. Potentially he is more of the same but let’s see.

TheFerg714
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: July 2014
Favorite character: Archer
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp
Re: Valiant appoints a THIRD senior editor!!

Post by TheFerg714 »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:11:02 pm Newsarama announce that David Wohl is to become yet another senior editor at Valiant. Apparently he co-created Witchblade and the Darkness as has been an editor at Marvel. He’s been in the industry 35 years so at least he’s paid his dues.

He can’t do any worse than the last 2 years and if he waters down Heather Antos’ influence then even better. Potentially he is more of the same but let’s see.
Three senior editors and two books per month. Makes complete sense.

geocarr
Those responsible for those remarks have been sacked.
Those responsible for those remarks have been sacked.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Vincent the Goat!
Favorite title: All of them!

Post by geocarr »

Maybe his experience with Witchblade could be useful in Aric's relationship with the armor.
***Support your local farmers!***

kjjohanson
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1
Favorite character: Anon-Lurker
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente

Post by kjjohanson »

TheFerg714 wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:32:59 pm
Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:11:02 pm Newsarama announce that David Wohl is to become yet another senior editor at Valiant. Apparently he co-created Witchblade and the Darkness as has been an editor at Marvel. He’s been in the industry 35 years so at least he’s paid his dues.

Well, we're in the middle of pandemic, during which the city where they're based has been shut down for a good portion of the time. They've hinted at a bunch if new projects coming.
If you're not a *SQUEE*, you're okay with me.

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

kjjohanson wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:38:17 pm

Well, we're in the middle of pandemic, during which the city where they're based has been shut down for a good portion of the time. They've hinted at a bunch if new projects coming.
Anyone know the usual ratio at Marvel/DC for senior editors versus number of books? Can’t see Valiant’s output exceeding 6 books per month any time soon.

TheFerg714

Post by TheFerg714 »

Why do you have such low standards for Valiant? They should have been using this time off to build up a backlog of comics to publish once the pandemic's over. It only takes a few people to make a comic, and they can all do it from their own homes.

DC and Boom have been going strong, publishing their complete lineups, since June. Meanwhile, Valiant will have published 9 whole issues within the span of 7 months.

magnus20009
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by magnus20009 »

TheFerg714 wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:21:11 pm
DC and Boom have been going strong, publishing their complete lineups, since June. Meanwhile, Valiant will have published 9 whole issues within the span of 7 months.
I am actually enjoying the pause. With so many different covers that had been coming out it is nice for a bit of a break to catch my breath and focus on everything I had missed.

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

Does the “new normal” interfere with comic production? What aspect of comic production is made that much more difficult as to stop the whole process? Or has Valiant moved beyond the need to generate income by creating comics?

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Chiclo wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:55:44 am

Does the “new normal” interfere with comic production? What aspect of comic production is made that much more difficult as to stop the whole process? Or has Valiant moved beyond the need to generate income by creating comics?
I don’t think generating an income has been a requirement since the 2018 takeover, they’ve consistently made decisions to drive lower sales and have stuck to their guns. How they explain the sales drop to DMG I’ve got no idea?

Sunlight on Snow

Post by Sunlight on Snow »

geocarr wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:36:56 pm Maybe his experience with Witchblade could be useful in Aric's relationship with the armor.
My first thought exactly!

TheFerg714

Post by TheFerg714 »

magnus20009 wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:52:09 am
I am actually enjoying the pause. With so many different covers that had been coming out it is nice for a bit of a break to catch my breath and focus on everything I had missed.
So because you personally are excited to not be buying as many covers as usual, you're okay with dooming the line to two books a month, and mediocre storytelling?

How does collecting a bunch of crappy covers take precedence over making a few good stories and a cohesive universe to you? :?

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

TheFerg714 wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:36:58 am How does collecting a bunch of crappy covers take precedence over making a few good stories and a cohesive universe to you? :?
I know the answer to this one! Dynamite

magnus20009
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by magnus20009 »

TheFerg714 wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:36:58 am
magnus20009 wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:52:09 am
So because you personally are excited to not be buying as many covers as usual, you're okay with dooming the line to two books a month, and mediocre storytelling?

How does collecting a bunch of crappy covers take precedence over making a few good stories and a cohesive universe to you? :?
I said I was enjoying the pause not that I was excited (Many things are paused in the world right now). I have been using the time to focus on what I missed 2012 to date. Not sure how that equates to I want to doom the line to 2 books a month long term or to mediocre story telling.

kjjohanson
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1
Favorite character: Anon-Lurker
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente

Post by kjjohanson »

Why do you have such low standards for Valiant? They should have been using this time off to build up a backlog of comics to publish once the pandemic's over. It only takes a few people to make a comic, and they can all do it from their own homes.

1. We're in the middle of a historic pandemic. I'd say that there are no standards for how a non-essential company should operate right now. Each company is going to have their own set of challenges. Unless you're intimately familiar with the operations for each company, you really don't know their specific challenges.
2. Neither Boom nor DC is located in what was the center of the pandemic. California cases may be up now, but the Cali population is also not as concentrated as NYC.
3. As far as the comparison to DC is concerned, fans are already familiar with their titles. They can sell without much of a problem with people placing online sales. I imagine that a greater percentage of Valiant's sales depends on shelf presence in stores; that they need eyeballs on them, and that doesn't happen with stores closed.
If you're not a *SQUEE*, you're okay with me.

TheFerg714

Post by TheFerg714 »

magnus20009 wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:13:11 am I said I was enjoying the pause not that I was excited (Many things are paused in the world right now). I have been using the time to focus on what I missed 2012 to date. Not sure how that equates to I want to doom the line to 2 books a month long term or to mediocre story telling.
Sorry, I was being hyperbolic, I'm just not sure what collecting covers has to do with the future of Valiant.
kjjohanson wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:49:45 am 1. We're in the middle of a historic pandemic. I'd say that there are no standards for how a non-essential company should operate right now. Each company is going to have their own set of challenges. Unless you're intimately familiar with the operations for each company, you really don't know their specific challenges.
Okay, well forget DC or Boom, I'm fairly certain most comic companies are back up and running now, and they'll definitely have more than TWO comics come out in September and October.
2. Neither Boom nor DC is located in what was the center of the pandemic. California cases may be up now, but the Cali population is also not as concentrated as NYC.
Comics can be made from home. You might need an office to actually get things published, but there's no reason why Valiant hasn't gotten back up to at least four books a month, by September. That seems totally reasonable.
3. As far as the comparison to DC is concerned, fans are already familiar with their titles. They can sell without much of a problem with people placing online sales. I imagine that a greater percentage of Valiant's sales depends on shelf presence in stores; that they need eyeballs on them, and that doesn't happen with stores closed.
So the answer is to release two issues a month? Is that really the most logical response? Whatever happened to Shadowman, Final Witness, Savage, or The Visitor? Shouldn't we be seeing new release dates for those? It seems like DMG is doing the absolute minimum amount of work possible.
Last edited by TheFerg714 on Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:21:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheFerg714

Post by TheFerg714 »

God :censored: it, doublepost. My wifi is :censored: up.
Last edited by TheFerg714 on Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:22:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheFerg714

Post by TheFerg714 »

God :censored: it, doublepost. My wifi is :censored: up.