Valiant NY Offices are Permanently Closed

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

betterthanezra
Wanna see an unpublished Shadowman page?
Wanna see an unpublished Shadowman page?
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart
Valiant NY Offices are Permanently Closed

Post by betterthanezra »

I found out today and confirmed that Monday August 3rd was the first day Valiant didn't have a physical address. Keep in mind this is the same place Dinesh and Jason signed the first lease.

350 Seventh Street
Suite #300
New York NY 10001

So not just closed because everyone is working from home or just remotely but for good the Office that stood there is now empty.
I went as far to confirm with the Real Estate Agent in charge of the listing and asked specifically on suite #300

He said that if I wanted could meet me to look at it this afternoon.

I'm not saying sell sell sell your books. It's just to me a physical address was/is important.

It's just continuing a pattern that's very scary and going down a path that might put the characters we love so much back into hibernation.

-Brian
I'm on Twitter follow me

https://twitter.com/#!/shadowsip" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My Valiant story here

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6932" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

possumgrease
I had the 1,000,000th post on this board and all I got was this lousy custom ranking.
I had the 1,000,000th post on this board and all I got was this lousy custom ranking.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Re: Valiant NY Offices are Permanatly Closed

Post by possumgrease »

Well that’s certainly interesting.

Ramses818
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: X-O Manowar 14
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: X-o but maybe soon to be Rai
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Ramses818 »

Amazing how no one commented on this so far seeing as how it blew up on Facebook group. I know there are very differing opinions, but I am on the side of this is awful news. I think this is a bad look for DMG. I said a lot of what I had to say about it on the Facebook group. I hope the employees are taking this better than we are and they are secure in their jobs. Too much bad news there lately.

Dallow Spicer1
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Another bad sign about the health of company. The last 2 years have been one constant slippery slope since Dinesh was ousted.

Is it conceivable that the current version of Valiant goes out of business which opens the door for a Dinesh return?

Juki
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Favorite character: Divinity
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Adam Gorham

Post by Juki »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:29:18 am Another bad sign about the health of company. The last 2 years have been one constant slippery slope since Dinesh was ousted.

Is it conceivable that the current version of Valiant goes out of business which opens the door for a Dinesh return?
IDK.... I hope Valiant Comics doesn’t “go under” ‘cause I am not so sure Dinesh would even be interested in buying it back unless it was really dirt cheap. I’m sure he still loves the Valiant IPs, especially after putting years of hard work into them (thank you), but after having to start a whole new comic company (bad Idea) to get back to doing what he likes.... I am not sure he would want the headache of running 2 comic companies. In this scenario I think a lot would depend on how successful the launch of the new comic company goes. If Bad Idea takes off... why would he look back?

Juki
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Favorite character: Divinity
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Adam Gorham

Post by Juki »

double post
Last edited by Juki on Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:28:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

Maybe it is a sign of my age or my way of thinking but this strikes me as grim, grim, grim.

I can see ways that Valiant could continue in some sort of “post-office paradigm” or some other hippy-dippy millennial techie gobbledygook, but for this old fuddy duddy it just looks bad for a company not to have an office.

kjjohanson
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1
Favorite character: Anon-Lurker
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente

Post by kjjohanson »

I mentioned this over on the Facebook group, but I don't think this is necessary as big a deal as people seem to think. My studio started work from home in March. The owner broke the lease in June, as we're going to be continuing to work from home for the foreseeable future, office rent in Manhattan is super expensive, and the lease was up next June anyway.

Note this isn't the first of the Valiant offices for VEI. The previous one was on 33rd St., I believe, between 9th and 10th. The one that just closed was on 7th Ave., between 29th and 30th St. I think they moved into this most recent one in 2015. 5-year leases are common in NYC for businesses. (The two most recent leases for the studio I work for were both 5-year leases.) It's also common for the rent to go up significantly when a lease is up, as landlords bet that companies don't want to pack up and find a new space. I know is true especially in the area of the Valiant office that just closed, as I used to work just around the corner (on 29th, between 7th and 8th), and when the lease was up in 2016, the rent was going to be jacked up something like 50%. So it could just be they packed up for now, and will find new space when the virus becomes more manageable. Or when they find a place with reasonable rent, which is probably a smart move, as many places are moving to work-from-home, so there might be a drop in rent for business leases coming.
If you're not a *SQUEE*, you're okay with me.

magnus20009
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by magnus20009 »

Closing a physical office in normal times would be bad but these are unique circumstances and when things start to go back to normal they might get an office again. Plus looking at the price per square foot that office is asking for - that is waaaay more than a publishing company needs to pay. Great location no doubt but hefty rent for a business that doesn’t need to be in such a prime location.

Dallow Spicer1
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Juki wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:24:05 am
Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:29:18 am Another bad sign about the health of company. The last 2 years have been one constant slippery slope since Dinesh was ousted.

IDK.... I hope Valiant Comics doesn’t “go under” ‘cause I am not so sure Dinesh would even be interested in buying it back unless it was really dirt cheap. I’m sure he still loves the Valiant IPs, especially after putting years of hard work into them (thank you), but after having to start a whole new comic company (bad Idea) to get back to doing what he likes.... I am not sure he would want the headache of running 2 comic companies. In this scenario I think a lot would depend on how successful the launch of the new comic company goes. If Bad Idea takes off... why would he look back?
I think of the price was right Dinesh would jump back in in a heartbeat. If Bad Idea was a success then he could run it as an imprint to Valiant (like Windjammer back in the day).

Probably wishful thinking on my part but time will tell.

Chiclo

Post by Chiclo »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:30:36 pm
Juki wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:24:05 am

I think of the price was right Dinesh would jump back in in a heartbeat. If Bad Idea was a success then he could run it as an imprint to Valiant (like Windjammer back in the day).

Probably wishful thinking on my part but time will tell.
You think Walter would come back? :twisted:

FormerReader
I spoke with Dino and he said you can divulge all information to me.
I spoke with Dino and he said you can divulge all information to me.
Re: Valiant NY Offices are Permanently Closed

Post by FormerReader »

We will know soon enough if this is another step towards the end of Valiant or just a matter of changing offices soon enough I’m sure.

nonplayer
Valiant fan since: back in the day xo#9
Favorite character: Momo, xo turok
Favorite title: Wrath of the eternal warrior
Favorite writer: Joshua dysart
Favorite artist: Robert Gill

Post by nonplayer »

Unfortunately dmg(sucks) would sell of the charaters to make their investments back.
I Miss the good old days.

nonplayer
Valiant fan since: back in the day xo#9
Favorite character: Momo, xo turok
Favorite title: Wrath of the eternal warrior
Favorite writer: Joshua dysart
Favorite artist: Robert Gill

Post by nonplayer »

Unfortunately dmg(sucks) would sell of the charaters to make their investments back.
I Miss the good old days.

Sunlight on Snow

Post by Sunlight on Snow »

Seriously, I wanna know how DocTom is going to end. I'm so *SQUEE* scared right now!

Chiclo

Post by Chiclo »

Sunlight on Snow wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:03:56 pm Seriously, I wanna know how DocTom is going to end. I'm so *SQUEE* scared right now!
I can’t tell if you are serious or not. Germans are not known for their comedy.

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

kjjohanson wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:02:30 am I mentioned this over on the Facebook group, but I don't think this is necessary as big a deal as people seem to think. My studio started work from home in March. The owner broke the lease in June, as we're going to be continuing to work from home for the foreseeable future, office rent in Manhattan is super expensive, and the lease was up next June anyway.

Note this isn't the first of the Valiant offices for VEI. The previous one was on 33rd St., I believe, between 9th and 10th. The one that just closed was on 7th Ave., between 29th and 30th St. I think they moved into this most recent one in 2015. 5-year leases are common in NYC for businesses. (The two most recent leases for the studio I work for were both 5-year leases.) It's also common for the rent to go up significantly when a lease is up, as landlords bet that companies don't want to pack up and find a new space. I know is true especially in the area of the Valiant office that just closed, as I used to work just around the corner (on 29th, between 7th and 8th), and when the lease was up in 2016, the rent was going to be jacked up something like 50%. So it could just be they packed up for now, and will find new space when the virus becomes more manageable. Or when they find a place with reasonable rent, which is probably a smart move, as many places are moving to work-from-home, so there might be a drop in rent for business leases coming.
I launched a virtual law firm 1 year ago this month. It's been amazing, and I have a team of 4 right now, with another coming on shortly. Several of my clients broke leases in March and April. The smart ones did anyway, especially the start ups. Why pay for rent that they won't use? People here in Seattle aren't going to the office for the remainder of the year, at the very least.

That being said, it won't work forever or for everyone. Publishers mail stuff to people everyday. That will need a physical location.

possumgrease
Valiant fan since: 1992

Post by possumgrease »

I know a lot of people who are virtually practicing law, but probably shouldn't. :)

Sunlight on Snow

Chiclo wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:09:13 pm
Sunlight on Snow wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:03:56 pm Seriously, I wanna know how DocTom is going to end. I'm so *SQUEE* scared right now!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aKzpGYUo-0

I will never understand why we have these....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGpuvPidF-8

...and I always have to flush twice. Must be the vegan diet. :lol:

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

While it has ominous overtones with the demise of Valiant's publishing numbers under Heather Antos, I agree with Ken that there's no way they needed to be at such a ritzy address. After my first tour of the office five or six years ago, I was already wondering if they really needed to be there, when they could just as easily operate from a location 30 minutes away at one-fifth the price.

CylonSteve
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: Armstrong
Favorite title: Archer and Armstrong
Favorite writer: Van Lente

Post by CylonSteve »

It has been a while since I have posted here. I admit I am a little behind on Valiant Comics. However, I just re-read Harbinger vol. 1 by Josh Dysart. (Trades I thought I had lent out and never gotten back but found over the weekend) Anywho, what happened to Valiant? I picked up some issues from time to time to catch up somewhat. (I really enjoyed Bloodshot: Reborn by Jeff Lemire) But, then realized they haven't been putting out much stuff. I just checked the Valiant website and I saw that the solicitations they are only releasing 2-3 books a month. I understand that COVID-19 certainly put a wrench into things in 2020, but has it been this bad for a while?

Like I said it been a while since I posted, and went back to my lurking ways. However, the lack of an office isn't good. Is this a sky is falling moment for Valiant?

syzhang28

Post by syzhang28 »

CylonSteve wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:32:10 pm It has been a while since I have posted here. I admit I am a little behind on Valiant Comics. However, I just re-read Harbinger vol. 1 by Josh Dysart. (Trades I thought I had lent out and never gotten back but found over the weekend) Anywho, what happened to Valiant? I picked up some issues from time to time to catch up somewhat. (I really enjoyed Bloodshot: Reborn by Jeff Lemire) But, then realized they haven't been putting out much stuff. I just checked the Valiant website and I saw that the solicitations they are only releasing 2-3 books a month. I understand that COVID-19 certainly put a wrench into things in 2020, but has it been this bad for a while?

Like I said it been a while since I posted, and went back to my lurking ways. However, the lack of an office isn't good. Is this a sky is falling moment for Valiant?
One persons view here

It's shooter and acclaim all over again. Dinesh was pushed out in a investor coup. The chinese took over. All the good writers and artists left to follow Dinesh to a new company called Bad Idea. Bad Idea hired a lot of the best staff from Valiant. After dinesh, sales at Valiant started to drop and are no way down, Valiant ignored continuity, are publishing less books and interest is mostly down. All the movies fell apart except for Bloodshot which Dinesh produced for Sony. He also produced the Witcher after valiant. There's been a revolving door of editor in chiefs at valiant. oh and they gave bloodshot wings for some reason and made livewire a mass, mass, mass murderer...

Chiclo

Post by Chiclo »

Sunlight on Snow wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:56:08 pm

It makes sense that a German comedian would be from Bavaria. They are the fun-loving Germans. A comedy club in Bremen would be more depressing than NPR on a Saturday afternoon.

CylonSteve
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: Armstrong
Favorite title: Archer and Armstrong
Favorite writer: Van Lente

Post by CylonSteve »

syzhang28 wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:30:57 am
CylonSteve wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:32:10 pm It has been a while since I have posted here. I admit I am a little behind on Valiant Comics. However, I just re-read Harbinger vol. 1 by Josh Dysart. (Trades I thought I had lent out and never gotten back but found over the weekend) Anywho, what happened to Valiant? I picked up some issues from time to time to catch up somewhat. (I really enjoyed Bloodshot: Reborn by Jeff Lemire) But, then realized they haven't been putting out much stuff. I just checked the Valiant website and I saw that the solicitations they are only releasing 2-3 books a month. I understand that COVID-19 certainly put a wrench into things in 2020, but has it been this bad for a while?

One persons view here

It's shooter and acclaim all over again. Dinesh was pushed out in a investor coup. The chinese took over. All the good writers and artists left to follow Dinesh to a new company called Bad Idea. Bad Idea hired a lot of the best staff from Valiant. After dinesh, sales at Valiant started to drop and are no way down, Valiant ignored continuity, are publishing less books and interest is mostly down. All the movies fell apart except for Bloodshot which Dinesh produced for Sony. He also produced the Witcher after valiant. There's been a revolving door of editor in chiefs at valiant. oh and they gave bloodshot wings for some reason and made livewire a mass, mass, mass murderer...
I knew about coup. About the Chinese taking over and when Dinesh was out it made me sad. Only because I had met him 3 times, he was always approachable and friendly. It seems like this company has no interest in comics they just want to use the characters for movies to make the next Marvel Cinematic Universe. (countless companies tried to match them and failed, but you never know) I think what you had said about Shooter it seems like history is repeating. (Rhyming rather Mark Twain would say)

I see that the Bad Idea has all of the original VEI creators, I do want to buy the first issue of his new business venture. Curious to see how it will go,as I am a fan of Matt Kindt.

I guess at the end of the day what was cool was Jeff Lemire's desire to write Bloodshot and getting to do it was badass. Those stories are kind of self contained.

I also seethis forum as a ghost town :( At this rate it wouldn't blow me away if VEI goes belly up and the characters are cheap enough and Disney (Or AT&T Time Warner) buys them. So then all the Valiant Characters go into the Disney Vault with Malibu and Crossgen characters.

I can understand the frustration of Valiant Fans. Seems like we had a couple of winning seasons only to be going 2-14 or 3-13 every season.

Man the exciting 2012 Valiant I do have found memories of it. I shall miss it and hope for its return.

Sunlight on Snow

Chiclo wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:37:02 am
Sunlight on Snow wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:56:08 pm

It makes sense that a German comedian would be from Bavaria. They are the fun-loving Germans. A comedy club in Bremen would be more depressing than NPR on a Saturday afternoon.
Hmm. He's hardly a real Bavarian (almost typed barbarian). The villages he was born and raised in are very close to Hesse and he certainly doesn't have a Bavarian accent when he's talking German. Based on where he's from--a rather small village in the middle of nowhere--and keeping in mind he's a physician he really isn't supposed to be funny. :lol:
Last edited by Sunlight on Snow on Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:00:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.