The first BAD IDEA comic: HERO TRADE #1 by Lapham & Kindt out now.

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Sunlight on Snow
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Re: The first BAD IDEA comic: HERO TRADE #1 by Lapham & Kindt out now.

Post by Sunlight on Snow »

Blood of Heroes wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:54:46 pm One ebay listing just ended at $860!! :o
Yeah, I don't even care about ENIAC anymore at this point!

I'm out!!!!!

Blood of Heroes
I only beat my wife when I'm sober.
I only beat my wife when I'm sober.

Post by Blood of Heroes »

Sunlight on Snow wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:28:05 pm
Blood of Heroes wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:54:46 pm One ebay listing just ended at $860!! :o

I'm out!!!!!
What’s the reasoning behind this? Are you if the mind that if you can’t get every book then you won’t get any of them? It sounds like the story itself will be printed inside another book so you won’t miss out on any content.
I’m not criticizing you, just curious. Personally I want to see what ENIAC is all about.

FormerReader
I spoke with Dino and he said you can divulge all information to me.

Post by FormerReader »

geocarr wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:24:24 pm
Yep. Insanity! My best guess is that 5 copies have now sold for between about $250 - $860. Madness, I tell you....
I’ll wait till they are in the $150 to $200 range. I would like a copy, but not that much.

JCP
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Toyo Harada
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Mico Suayan & Lewis LaRosa

Post by JCP »

Blood of Heroes wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:22:03 pm

I'm out!!!!!
What’s the reasoning behind this? Are you if the mind that if you can’t get every book then you won’t get any of them? It sounds like the story itself will be printed inside another book so you won’t miss out on any content.
I’m not criticizing you, just curious. Personally I want to see what ENIAC is all about.
Agreed. I’m also interested in Lewis LaRosa’s new book with Bad Idea and expect prices to come back down to earth a bit. This same phenomenon happened with Savage #1 1:50 and prices came down later. Granted there are very few copies of the Hero Trade available. Some of the 100 or so copies might have been discarded by stores.
Egad, a base tone denotes a bad age!

IMJ
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O Manowar #1
Favorite character: VH1 Sting | VH2 Rai
Favorite title: VH2 Rai
Favorite writer: Kurt Busiek
Favorite artist: Sean Chen

Post by IMJ »

I'm out!!!!!
PM sent, bro. We'll fix this carnage. ;)

paradise
Major Valiant-supporting retailer
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar, Unity
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Bart Sears

Post by paradise »

geocarr wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:24:24 pm Madness, I tell you....
Is it though? 100 stores, many of whom got this book, like they do from a bunch of other tiny creator companies, did not think much and threw it away.
I bet you there is less than 50 total that are flowing around and knowing VEI / BAD IDEA collectors, NOBODY is selling once they get one. How scarce do you think those copies will get with all the hoarding that's happening? The people who want the story, will get it in Eniac #3, but if you want the book, prepare to pay a ton. I have 2 of them (we have 3 stores, so one got thrown away, 2 still here) but I have not decided what to do with them yet.
Edward
COLLECTOR'S PARADISE Stores:(Canoga Park, Pasadena, North Hollywood)
7131 Winnetka Ave - Canoga Park, CA - 91306 - 818-999-9455
319 S. Arroyo Parkway - Pasadena, CA - 91105 - 626-577-6694
5118 Lankershim Blvd - NoHo, CA - 91601 - 818-980-BOOK
http://ComicsAndCards.net

Nameless7
My posts can all fit in a short box
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: Eternal Warrior

Post by Nameless7 »

Not smart for bad idea to screw their fans from the get go. Many of are struggling to even get their stuff due to store availability (thanks Paradise for you accommodating some us with Eniac) and now this happens.
Count me in the very upset category and considering writing off Bad Idea altogether at this point. I was so pumped and glad to NOT have the stupid variant gimmicks anymore so that finally I could have a complete run of an awesome publisher and from the get go this is no longer possible. Thanks a million.
Rant Over.

JCP
Favorite character: Toyo Harada
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Mico Suayan & Lewis LaRosa

Post by JCP »

Nameless7 wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:42:11 pm Not smart for bad idea to screw their fans from the get go. Many of are struggling to even get their stuff due to store availability (thanks Paradise for you accommodating some us with Eniac) and now this happens.
Count me in the very upset category and considering writing off Bad Idea altogether at this point. I was so pumped and glad to NOT have the stupid variant gimmicks anymore so that finally I could have a complete run of an awesome publisher and from the get go this is no longer possible. Thanks a million.
Rant Over.
Dino needs to come to the rescue with a 100 copies to distribute to those on the boards.
Egad, a base tone denotes a bad age!

Sunlight on Snow

Blood of Heroes wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:22:03 pm

I'm out!!!!!
This is neither fair to everyone who pre-ordered ENIAC (which doesn't even include myself) nor (or especially not) to the few comic shops who have actually given their "promotional" copy to their shop customers for little or no money. In the Dragon Quill's position, for instance, I'd be *SQUEE* off about the stores who are trying to sell or already sold their copies for major $$$ to random people on the internet who can afford paying crazy $$$ but may or may not have pre-ordered ENIAC in the first place.

Having said this, kudos to the Dragon Quill Comics and other stores like them. :thumb:

Sunlight on Snow

Relying on retailers.....and then screwing (some of) them......and everyone who pre-ordered ENIAC.

Bold move!

I'm out!!!

dino
Nerd Boss
Nerd Boss
Valiant fan since: 1993

Post by dino »

JCP wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:46:39 pm
Nameless7 wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:42:11 pm Not smart for bad idea to screw their fans from the get go. Many of are struggling to even get their stuff due to store availability (thanks Paradise for you accommodating some us with Eniac) and now this happens.
Rant Over.
Dino needs to come to the rescue with a 100 copies to distribute to those on the boards.
Don't have copies unfortunately.

FormerReader

Post by FormerReader »

Back away from the cliff guys it’s a comic. We are not owed anything just because we’re fans. I won’t pay current prices, but I say good for Bad Idea. They are getting attention they would otherwise not get and hopefully it gets some people to check out their books that otherwise wouldn’t.

IMJ

Post by IMJ »

paradise wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:18:38 pmIs it though? 100 stores, many of whom got this book, like they do from a bunch of other tiny creator companies, did not think much and threw it away.
I bet you there is less than 50 total that are flowing around and knowing VEI / BAD IDEA collectors, NOBODY is selling once they get one. How scarce do you think those copies will get with all the hoarding that's happening? The people who want the story, will get it in Eniac #3, but if you want the book, prepare to pay a ton. I have 2 of them (we have 3 stores, so one got thrown away, 2 still here) but I have not decided what to do with them yet.
All solid points. But none of this is going to matter when there's no readership left. What we will have is a few hangers-on, probably like yourself or myself. And we will have a pyramid company style economy of comic book sales - people selling to people outside of a long term investment strategy in a dwindling pyramid. It will be like selling "indestructible cutlery" door-to-door from *SQUEE* Vector Marketing.

In 2019 the top selling comic book was a WHOPPING 574,500 copies. 574,500 of the singular best selling book.

It was a huge anniversary issue ('Tec 1,000).
-It had 84 variant covers. This means that if every Batman reader and speculator was a perfectionist and wanted an even breakdown of every variant then that huge number would have only served 6,839 readers. That's it. But we know it doesn't work that way in complete buyer outcomes, so instead supplement that print run with this:
-'Tec 1,000 is available right now in caseloads in basically every LCS in America at a significant discount or has handouts at limit breaks.
-This 'Tec book isn't indicative of that many readers at all anyway. The next book underneath it was Spawn #300 and that dropped to 275,749. You guys can rationalize what the combination of those points mean.

So the highest selling comic of 2019 was arguably from the most well known and time tested comic book character of all time, was a significant publishing anniversary issue and had a comprised total of 574,500 manufactured copies. And a year later it's still available on the newsstands everywhere.

That Bad Idea book might be a great read - but I wouldn't know because I can't read it. I've only got intelligently-designed hype-marketing so far. That Bad Idea book isn't worth what it's selling for on eBay right now - not by a long shot. There are a lot of ratio books out there from established and readable IPs that would breakdown into print runs of 300 to 500 copies and don't sell for what we are seeing that Bad Idea book for on eBay.

This is a hype market for that book - the book isn't worth that. This is a staple of my generation's buying habit. FOMO. It happened in the 90's with people aware of Cabbage Patch Kids (globally). Aware of Beanie Babies (nationally). Aware of 90's comics (nationally by nuclear or semi-nuclear family). It still happens to my generation. It just happened to everyone who discovered Robinhood with Snowflake last week. That Bad Idea book is selling high as a function of... hell... probably 1,500 or fewer comic readers looking for the next thing. And that population is executing the bidding and buying for the book through only maybe 200 bidders - hell you can compute this by adding all of the bids together as if they were individual bids across all sales. And even then you can reduce that number of unique interests because there will be an unknown cross section from people jumping to the next auction when they lost the last one.

Maybe Bad Idea is going to make great content. Maybe they will. But I'm sorry. There is no defending the sales of that book as a valid buy at the price under any circumstances right now. We can debate the numbers, but those auctions are being bought by a total pool of probably 80 - 100 buyers all crashing similar auctions to get their copy.

dino
Nerd Boss
Nerd Boss

Post by dino »

double post
Last edited by dino on Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:29:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

dino
Nerd Boss
Nerd Boss

Post by dino »

I seem incapable of posting without mistakes these days facepalm
Last edited by dino on Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:32:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dino
Nerd Boss
Nerd Boss

Post by dino »

FormerReader wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:05:40 pm Back away from the cliff guys it’s a comic. We are not owed anything just because we’re fans. I won’t pay current prices, but I say good for Bad Idea. They are getting attention they would otherwise not get and hopefully it gets some people to check out their books that otherwise wouldn’t.
Agreed.

If you want to read the story, it'll be in ENIAC 3. Beyond that market forces apply. I'm very happy that so many people are interested and we're able to make the stores so money in a tough time while getting the word out that Bad Idea is coming and won't be beholden to the rules.

dino
Nerd Boss
Nerd Boss

Post by dino »

IMJ wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:01:26 pm
paradise wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:18:38 pmIs it though? 100 stores, many of whom got this book, like they do from a bunch of other tiny creator companies, did not think much and threw it away.
All solid points. But none of this is going to matter when there's no readership left. What we will have is a few hangers-on, probably like yourself or myself. And we will have a pyramid company style economy of comic book sales - people selling to people outside of a long term investment strategy in a dwindling pyramid. It will be like selling "indestructible cutlery" door-to-door from *SQUEE* Vector Marketing.

In 2019 the top selling comic book was a WHOPPING 574,500 copies. 574,500 of the singular best selling book.

It was a huge anniversary issue ('Tec 1,000).
-It had 84 variant covers. This means that if every Batman reader and speculator was a perfectionist and wanted an even breakdown of every variant then that huge number would have only served 6,839 readers. That's it. But we know it doesn't work that way in complete buyer outcomes, so instead supplement that print run with this:
-'Tec 1,000 is available right now in caseloads in basically every LCS in America at a significant discount or has handouts at limit breaks.
-This 'Tec book isn't indicative of that many readers at all anyway. The next book underneath it was Spawn #300 and that dropped to 275,749. You guys can rationalize what the combination of those points mean.

So the highest selling comic of 2019 was arguably from the most well known and time tested comic book character of all time, was a significant publishing anniversary issue and had a comprised total of 574,500 manufactured copies. And a year later it's still available on the newsstands everywhere.

That Bad Idea book might be a great read - but I wouldn't know because I can't read it. I've only got intelligently-designed hype-marketing so far. That Bad Idea book isn't worth what it's selling for on eBay right now - not by a long shot. There are a lot of ratio books out there from established and readable IPs that would breakdown into print runs of 300 to 500 copies and don't sell for what we are seeing that Bad Idea book for on eBay.

This is a hype market for that book - the book isn't worth that. This is a staple of my generation's buying habit. FOMO. It happened in the 90's with people aware of Cabbage Patch Kids (globally). Aware of Beanie Babies (nationally). Aware of 90's comics (nationally by nuclear or semi-nuclear family). It still happens to my generation. It just happened to everyone who discovered Robinhood with Snowflake last week. That Bad Idea book is selling high as a function of... hell... probably 1,500 or fewer comic readers looking for the next thing. And that population is executing the bidding and buying for the book through only maybe 200 bidders - hell you can compute this by adding all of the bids together as if they were individual bids across all sales. And even then you can reduce that number of unique interests because there will be an unknown cross section from people jumping to the next auction when they lost the last one.

Maybe Bad Idea is going to make great content. Maybe they will. But I'm sorry. There is no defending the sales of that book as a valid buy at the price under any circumstances right now. We can debate the numbers, but those auctions are being bought by a total pool of probably 80 - 100 buyers all crashing similar auctions to get their copy.
I hear you man and I would have assumed the same but something else is happening here. I have more than 200 emails that came in this weekend alone from fans looking for the book. At Valiant I found that the scenario you describe was always true. The Valiant history was the biggest asset I had at Valiant but also the biggest obstacle to overcome. There is something about Valiant that keeps people from feeling like they can dip their toe in. It has a super strong and loyal following but it also seems to be hard to penetrate for others. I've been suspecting that at Bad Idea that might not be the case. With The Hero Trade we may be seeing that in action.

IMJ

Post by IMJ »

dino wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:31:05 pm I hear you man and I would have assumed the same but something else is happening here. I have more than 200 emails that came in this weekend alone from fans looking for the book. At Valiant I found that the scenario you describe was always true. The Valiant history was the biggest asset I had at Valiant but also the biggest obstacle to overcome. There is something about Valiant that keeps people from feeling like they can dip their toe in. It has a super strong and loyal following but it also seems to be hard to penetrate for others. I've been suspecting that at Bad Idea that might not be the case. With The Hero Trade we may be seeing that in action.
I'm sure there are definitely strengths and weaknesses that you assess in all of the things you've done, man. For example, Valiant had the strength of a built-in fanbase, but maybe accessibility to new readers was a threat. Maybe Bad Idea is wildly accessible as an opportunity because there are no strings attached. It's also new and unpolluted content in a market where the buyers are sick to death of the agendas and so on - your new company is also probably landing at the right time- another opportunity.

My point is that sure, there is hype and honest interest. I'm interested too.

But again, the discerning reader will note that I wasn't bringing the concept of Bad Idea as a publisher to heel at all. I'm talking about the buying patterns for a book on the secondary market and also some of the psychological traps that we, as collectors fall into in situations like these. I certainly want Bad Idea to succeed, but I believe the market on that book is speculator frenzy and FOMO at the moment. If Paradise's estimate about 50 copies is even remotely close then that actually serves my point. A market frenzy for a book that no one has read means people are buying for reasons other than the content.

And I think there is a strong possibility that engineering such scarcity as a marketing tool to turn eyes on a publishing line works great for stirring up interest; but an emerging lack of good will in the long run could be a threat in a serialized hobby where the regular reader is dying and completists reign. Something else to consider.

But like I've told someone else, you've started two publishing companies now and I basically haven't done *SQUEE* so this is all speculation on my end. :) You do good work, you'll be fine.

Phantom
I will call my mum and ask what the *SQUEE* is going on.
I will call my mum and ask what the *SQUEE* is going on.
Location: I would rather be under the stars in a tent, or on a park bench.

Post by Phantom »

I was interested in the Hero trade, to get a first glimpse of badidea.
No way I can justify such an expense on a book that may not even be continued, or expanded into the badidea publishing line.
Speculaters took over, which then pushed #badidea publishing into the light. It's hard to get noticed in comics as a new company. Hopefully when Eniac is released numbers will be higher for pre-order.
Would be funny if The Hero trade is a one off not linked to bad idea universe at all.
I did mention on Facebook, goes to show indie publishers have a hard time with anyone even putting their books on the shelf - let alone getting orders.
I wish their was a Spinal Tap comic, and I had a copy CGC graded at 11.

paradise

Post by paradise »

Let's get some late facts on this book.

1. It's an ashcan of a story that will be published in Eniac #3. It's not BAD IDEAs first comic book.

2. This was a marketing message incased in a black/white 8 page pamphlet, to get BAD IDEA beyond the "Valiant" base and to the collector market

3. There may be other messages to find other markets, in whatever form they may be. You know who's behind this stuff, it will be out of norm stuff. Stop being "SHOCKED" by this.

4. If you want to pay the market price for this promo item, you can easily find copies on ebay, facebook, or other means (I have a couple you can contact me about). But expecting a promo item for $4 like a regular comic book when there is less than 100 made, even with just the Valiant demand, is an entitled desire which I do not understand. Specially from people who are saying "I just want to read it" because it's been stated, Eniac 3.

5. Expecting stores to forego making a sale, is ridiculous. Yes, I know some have made them into raffle items, some have sold them to customers for $4, THAT DOES NOT MEAN THAT IS THE NORM. Each store will weigh the benefit to THEM of doing this and will make their own plans. Please respect their RIGHT to do so. Yes, they got this book in the mail, it was addressed to them, it's THEIRS to do with what they want. There is no rule against anything they want to do with it, it's not "against BAD IDEA rules", it's stores knowing the *SQUEE* situation they are ALL in right now, and deciding they NEED to make this sale. If you don't want to do business with them over this, it's your right but it's a VERY ENTITTLED right. You are making it about you over their item. You feel they have wronged you over something they own and have full rights to do whatever with they wish. Would you like it if someone came to your house and said "I want your refrigerator, for $10 and I will be *SQUEE* off if you don't give it to me".

I may add more to this, if it comes to me.
Edward

Dallow Spicer1
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa
Re: Update: The Button published Hero Trade #1. The first Bad Idea comic is in stores

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Phantom wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:01:06 pm With only one shop listed with bad idea in the UK. I doubt I will get one, shame - really keen on bad idea.
Hate to miss out on any of their comics.

I think their will be so few around, i hope they reprint, or have extra copies to send to shops.

it's tough selling comics at the moment, interesting strategy!
Yeah but Forbidden Planet is a chain with shops in the main cities plus they do mail order. Hero Trade is not listed so not sure of it made its way to the UK?

Sunlight on Snow

Nobody's SHOCKED here.

It was an auction. Of course it only took a few potential and insanely interested buyers to get there, and looking at the bids it were only 3 guys still bidding beyond the $310 mark. Nothing to be SHOCKED over. No big deal really. :hm:

They're probably from around here; the usual suspects. Congrats on getting that copy!

It doesn't change the "fact" that $860 is an INSANELY RIDICULOUS value, even for this book.

And that a store like Dragon Quills have my utmost respect.

Nobody can force me to follow all that MARKETING OVERKILL and senseless HYPE about a BUTTon, not knowing whenever ENIAC will ever be released, and then having to trade wait for each and every #BadIdea series. This combination makes no sense to me. I'm out!

If you think my refrigerator is still worth $10.... :lol:

paradise

Post by paradise »

Uhm, Bad Idea = No trade Waiting, no trades facepalm
Edward

Sunlight on Snow

paradise wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:27:13 pm Uhm, Bad Idea = No trade Waiting, no trades facepalm
Mail order. Trade wait for getting the entire series, genius!

Nameless7
Favorite title: Eternal Warrior

Post by Nameless7 »

paradise wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:57:23 am Let's get some late facts on this book.

1. It's an ashcan of a story that will be published in Eniac #3. It's not BAD IDEAs first comic book.

2. This was a marketing message incased in a black/white 8 page pamphlet, to get BAD IDEA beyond the "Valiant" base and to the collector market

3. There may be other messages to find other markets, in whatever form they may be. You know who's behind this stuff, it will be out of norm stuff. Stop being "SHOCKED" by this.

4. If you want to pay the market price for this promo item, you can easily find copies on ebay, facebook, or other means (I have a couple you can contact me about). But expecting a promo item for $4 like a regular comic book when there is less than 100 made, even with just the Valiant demand, is an entitled desire which I do not understand. Specially from people who are saying "I just want to read it" because it's been stated, Eniac 3.

5. Expecting stores to forego making a sale, is ridiculous. Yes, I know some have made them into raffle items, some have sold them to customers for $4, THAT DOES NOT MEAN THAT IS THE NORM. Each store will weigh the benefit to THEM of doing this and will make their own plans. Please respect their RIGHT to do so. Yes, they got this book in the mail, it was addressed to them, it's THEIRS to do with what they want. There is no rule against anything they want to do with it, it's not "against BAD IDEA rules", it's stores knowing the *SQUEE* situation they are ALL in right now, and deciding they NEED to make this sale. If you don't want to do business with them over this, it's your right but it's a VERY ENTITTLED right. You are making it about you over their item. You feel they have wronged you over something they own and have full rights to do whatever with they wish. Would you like it if someone came to your house and said "I want your refrigerator, for $10 and I will be *SQUEE* off if you don't give it to me".

I may add more to this, if it comes to me.
These are all very valid and excellent points. However the simple fact we are having this discussion means that something has gone wrong - and this kind of thing should probably not be repeated. For example, I know that stores that signed up and were accepted to carry Bad Idea comics received these exclusive signed black and white art prints to use as promotional material - everyone knows these are promotional materials, and I am sure everyone here would love to get their hands on some of these prints, but no one here would have this level of ire if they were unable to acquire said prints. Store owners knew these were not to be sold and were to be used as promotional items etc...

Now I called several stores in neighboring states (Bad Idea approved stores) just in case maybe they would have this item - and I was told a couple of very interesting and telling things. 1) they had the option of ordering as many copies of this item as they pleased but were never told what it was or that it was a Bad Idea item and thus they assumed it was a self published comic and did not order it and 2) that they are now the recipients of a great deal of ANGER and HATE from THEIR customers who had signed up for holds with them for Bad Idea items and might assume (that because this was a solicited item without limitation) that they would have gotten one in their hold - therefore they blame their LCS for not ordering it for them. Lastly 3) and I don't know if this is true, they are not happy with Bad Idea because they have had to spend a great deal of time apologizing to their Bad Idea customers for the last 5 or so days due to this debacle. (at least 2 different stores told me this) One of them didn't even ask me who I was and started apologizing to me almost from a script - probably and employee who assumed I was one of their 'pullbox' customers.

So yes you are correct, this is NOT the end of the world. But it does feel bitter for (apparently) a great deal of people other than myself. And I don't believe this is a result of a sense of entitlement for a promo item. This was after all not a promo item that secretly became a promo item after the fact and that feels like a stab in the back.

Oh well. We will get over it. But I say again, the main reasons I was excited about Bad Idea (at least to me) was 1) the awesome quality of stories and art we are sure to get and 2) the assurance that we will never ever have to go chase special limited print variants (for those of us who want it all - this may not be you but I think it is a valid point).

Cheers everyone.