29 years of collecting Valiant...

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

JonesyAZ
Valiant...it moved.
Valiant...it moved.
Valiant fan since: VH1 Ninjak #1!
Favorite character: Ninjak
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Robert Venditti
Favorite artist: Emanuela Lupacchino
Re: 29 years of collecting Valiant...

Post by JonesyAZ »

Greg, you started a great thread here. After reading it and others' responses and pondering this for a bit, I wanted to share where I'm at with Valiant.

I started as a casual fan of Valiant before finding this website and making many great connections with folks here around 2010 and went all-in with collecting a reading set of VH1, most of Acclaim, and then going all-in with collecting the new VEI books in 2012 and beyond. Most of my collection again is a reading set of standard covers and the like, but I occasionally would double-dip with more than one cover (or in the case of Unity #1...12 or more covers, ha!). I was a super-fan for awhile in early VEI times and had the pleasure of being a co-host and theme song composer for "Only The Valiant" for a few years too. It was a great ride.

When DMG bought VEI, my interest slowly waned...but i've since purchased almost everything I missed since then and I plan to continue buying and reading VEI until they close shop or change hands, etc. I personally enjoy the new books as I love these characters, and quite honestly, buying a new copy of a Valiant comic as they are slowly released during these crazy pandemic times is a little bit of light that I need to keep going :)

Yes, these are challenging times. Yes, the boards here are equally challenging; reading through recent vitriolic discussions. But we're fans...Valiant fans...comic fans...fellow human beings...and we need to do what we can to support one another through these dark times.

My personal favorite new Valiant is the Rai run by Abnett and Ryp, and I also did enjoy the last Quantum and Woody run, but i've always liked the cheesy take on Q&W that VEI has published. I hope someday to see the conclusion to "The Visitor" and also hope that "Final Witness" is released as they look and are great to me.

Stay Valiant everyone, as best as you can!
The "Unity Suite" ... in progress ...

SouthernComicGeek
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: X-O Manowar Volume 3
Favorite writer: Robert Venditti
Favorite artist: Barry Windsor-Smith
Re: 29 years of collecting Valiant...

Post by SouthernComicGeek »

Valiant has a great library of characters. They were well use in the early days and then for a several years after the reboot. That was good stuff and that's what I'll focus on. I'll pick up current runs that interest me (like Rai) and wait and hope there will be another renaissance.