Glass Variants - CBCS says they wont slab them anymore

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

3qu1tu5
Magnus, Solar, and Turok
Magnus, Solar, and Turok
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Aram
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Bart Sears
Glass Variants - CBCS says they wont slab them anymore

Post by 3qu1tu5 »

Hey All,

I recently completed my acquisition of all the glass variants and shipped them to CBCS for grading. CBCS emailed me today saying they cannot encapsulate them and will be shipping them back to me ungraded :cry: . I specifically sent them to CBCS after seeing the glass variants in CBCS slabs on Ebay and checking the CGC message boards where its recommended to send them to CBCS.
I responded with asking them to let me know when this had changed. Any body else know anything? :?

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.
Re: Glass Variants - CBCS says they wont slab them anymore

Post by nycjadie »

That is really disappointing. I’m not sure if I have graded them all in 9.8 with CBCS, but it was a huge benefit. That being said, the cases really aren’t strong enough for the books. I kind of get it. Still, the about face is really disappointing, but that has been my experience with CBCS for the most part.

dino
Nerd Boss
Nerd Boss
Valiant fan since: 1993

Post by dino »

3qu1tu5 wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:12:45 pm Hey All,

I recently completed my acquisition of all the glass variants and shipped them to CBCS for grading. CBCS emailed me today saying they cannot encapsulate them and will be shipping them back to me ungraded :cry: . I specifically sent them to CBCS after seeing the glass variants in CBCS slabs on Ebay and checking the CGC message boards where its recommended to send them to CBCS.
I responded with asking them to let me know when this had changed. Any body else know anything? :?
That's a bummer man. Have you tried PGX? Are you slabbing them for display? The old showcase sealers may be a good option. It's tricky business building these kinds of covers. We always made sure to chat with CGC before we announced or released them to make sure we were able to incorporate any notes they had to ensure they were able to grade and encapsulate them. Are the glass covers too thick? I haven't seen one in person.

magnus20009
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by magnus20009 »

3qu1tu5 wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:12:45 pm Hey All,

That is super annoying. I've been trying to get all the 1:50 (heck most 1:25) and rarer VEI variants graded in CGC 9.8. I have every 1:200 or rarer books graded in CGC 9.8 except the 4 glass covers. For them I needed to make an exception and go with CBCS. For the glass covers I only have 3 of 4 books graded. I still need a Fallen World #1 in CBCS 9.8. I will be very disappointed if I cannot find one to match the other glass covers. And thanks to CBCS not even having a census one doesn't know how many have already been graded.

Juki
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Divinity
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Adam Gorham

Post by Juki »

I sent 2 LandDofTH glass variants to CBCS five months ago. I will be very disappointed if they don’t grade them after all this time.

3qu1tu5
Magnus, Solar, and Turok
Magnus, Solar, and Turok

Post by 3qu1tu5 »

Hopefully I get a response from customer service, I'm pretty bummed. Just want an explanation on what changed. Thanks for the recommendations too, I'll look into those.

3qu1tu5
Magnus, Solar, and Turok
Magnus, Solar, and Turok

Post by 3qu1tu5 »

Hey all,
Word back from CBCS Regional Sales Manager via email was that they have changed over to new cases, and the new cases cannot hold the glass variants.
I responded with understanding as that's a very straight forward answer, but also encouraged them to look into getting a case specific for glass or metal variants as it would be a differentiator in the market (vs CGC and PGX :hm: ), and I would gladly pay extra for the larger case. :hope:

Thoughts?

nycjadie
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

I went back and looked at what I have slabbed by CBCS:

Fallen World - 9.8 regular
Life and Death of Toyo 1 - 9.8 regular
Livewire 1 - 9.8 regular
Livewire 1 - 9.8 verified signature Vita Ayala
Bloodshot Rising Spirit 1 - 9.8 verified signature first double signed

I would have liked to have had a BRS 9.8 regular. No such luck I guess.

Juki
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Divinity
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Adam Gorham

Post by Juki »

Juki wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:48:17 pm I sent 2 LandDofTH glass variants to CBCS five months ago. I will be very disappointed if they don’t grade them after all this time.
...and after receiving my submission on May 30th (over 6 months ago) I just got this email in my inbox:

“Hello,
Just wanted to let you know that this invoice has two glass covers that we cannot encapsulate, and we will need to send these back RAW and ungraded.
MY apologies for any issues this may have caused you, and if you have any questions please let me know!

Darryl Hayden
Regional Sales Manager
CBCS Comics
4635 McEwen Road
Dallas, Texas 75244”