another unseen VH1 item..

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

valiantdude
i was the one who posted this in 2013.omg wtf. i was smoking a lot of weed then. still do!!
i was the one who posted this in 2013.omg wtf. i was smoking a lot of weed then. still do!!
another unseen VH1 item..

Post by valiantdude »

wow...the years go by...little things keep popping up,
it's hard for me not to share, some part of me is hoping someone is archiving all these images

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ninjak-1-Origi ... Sw78xcrBkz

It would make sense that this is this price i think.. who knows maybe one of you will buy it..

IMJ
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O Manowar #1
Favorite character: VH1 Sting | VH2 Rai
Favorite title: VH2 Rai
Favorite writer: Kurt Busiek
Favorite artist: Sean Chen
Re: another unseen VH1 item..

Post by IMJ »

I've archived stuff in an Iron Man database I keep. I've done it for maybe 19 years now. You can start with Valiant stuff too!

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

It's pretty sweet, right! I've been watching it forever. I think it's been on eBay for over a year now, and nobody seems to be jumping at that price. I have the Rai 1 color cover art, and it was a fraction of this price, but still, I have been watching it for ages...

valiantdude

Post by valiantdude »

A one of a kind print..pretty epic..I don't think it's the actual color art from the issue.. cool vei borrowed it, how did they know it was out there?

tarheelmarine
Ask me about the Mellow Mushroom
Ask me about the Mellow Mushroom
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Magnus Robot Fighter
Favorite title: Shadowman
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Jim Calafiore

Post by tarheelmarine »

I've always been a big VH1 Ninjak fan. I remember getting excited about the series solely from the Quesada/Palmiotti advertisement artwork in Previews, Wizard, etc.

I guess we will see if there is a big Q/P fan out there.

valiantdude

Post by valiantdude »

Yeah it was the 1st time valiant had a 'big' artist, that wasn't valiant style, minus bart sears..even though joe started at valiant..Bob wasn't thinking when he essentially fired joe q for being late, but all the hype was for joe, he went from the massive xo#0 to ninjak, then fired? I didn't give a *SQUEE* if the book was late, I wanted joe q...haha..even as a kid i was like wtf was layton thinking.. then he took ninjak and made ash..
Looking back I think that was the nail in the coffin for vh1.5, there was literally nothing to care about after that

magnusr
I would hang a left...
I would hang a left...

Post by magnusr »

valiantdude wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:49:37 am wow...the years go by...little things keep popping up,
it's hard for me not to share, some part of me is hoping someone is archiving all these images

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ninjak-1-Origi ... Sw78xcrBkz

It would make sense that this is this price i think.. who knows maybe one of you will buy it..
Cool. Props to the seller for the honest and informative description. I wonder about it being reinked. That would make it extra unique. The recoloring did seem to be a normal occurance. Not sure how common or why it happened, but it is well known that one has to verify color art. Not only is there often different art for covers and cards based on the same cover, but also some non-published pieces have shown up. Maybe it was a way to train the knob row? There was also a rumor about a locker filled with color art. This art having been reused by VEI is a huge plus, but still I feel the price is too high. Maybe he simply loves the piece and only sells at a prime.

/Magnus

magnus20009
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by magnus20009 »

Forgive my ignorance but isn't this just a copy of the original art that has been recolored and signed? Am I missing something? I assume I must be as photostated art recolored and signed I would thing we be worth a few hundred at most not $2,600. Please enlighten me to what I am missing or not understanding.

valiantdude

Post by valiantdude »

Well here's the thing..its one of a kind,that was created as a gift to diamond, then given away.. so that aspect has value

It was then completely re inked, if you paid palmiotti to do that today, it would probably be around 2k
They need to get that in writing though.. if they get a confirming doc from palmiotti that would really add to the value

Then it was hand recolored..

So all of those things would put in the 1300 - 1500 range for me.. I believe what the seller is saying is true.. he probably has even more proof..

And somehow vei knew it existed..so there is that..

magnus20009
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by magnus20009 »

So I was mostly right. It is a copy that has been colored but before being colored it was reinked, which was the part I missed.

I am not involved in the original art world of comics but as this piece is not the original art doesn’t that diminish its value tremendously? I mean it’s great it has been inked again and colored but it is still a copy of the original art if I am following this correctly.

The piece is neat and all but not being the original really hurts it in my opinion. If I wanted this piece wouldn’t I prefer to go after the original not the photostat?

dino
Nerd Boss
Nerd Boss
Valiant fan since: 1993

Post by dino »

valiantdude wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:36:54 pm A one of a kind print..pretty epic..I don't think it's the actual color art from the issue.. cool vei borrowed it, how did they know it was out there?
I have a database of where alot of the art I've ran across is. Believe this was originally created for the Valiant Era trading cards.

magnusr
I would hang a left...
I would hang a left...

Post by magnusr »

dino wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:44:06 pm
valiantdude wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:36:54 pm A one of a kind print..pretty epic..I don't think it's the actual color art from the issue.. cool vei borrowed it, how did they know it was out there?
I have a database of where alot of the art I've ran across is. Believe this was originally created for the Valiant Era trading cards.
The colors don't match. This is yet another piece. Had this been the one from Valiant Era card set, then that would have been proof that it was not reinked. As it is now the question is till open (though I find it a bit strange that it would be reinked on normal paper).

/Magnus

PS, that database sounds amazing.

dino
Nerd Boss
Nerd Boss
Valiant fan since: 1993

Post by dino »

magnusr wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:02:46 pm
dino wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:44:06 pm
The colors don't match. This is yet another piece. Had this been the one from Valiant Era card set, then that would have been proof that it was not reinked. As it is now the question is till open (though I find it a bit strange that it would be reinked on normal paper).

/Magnus

PS, that database sounds amazing.
The OS Cards i mean

magnusr
I would hang a left...
I would hang a left...

Post by magnusr »

dino wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:08:10 pm The OS Cards i mean
Ah, those cards are missing from my collection :cry:

Do you know if there was anything special in how they were made that could clarify whether the art was reinked or not?

/Magnus

ckb
Psssst. Hey buddy, need another CGC fix?
Psssst. Hey buddy, need another CGC fix?

Post by ckb »

magnusr wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:35:35 pm
dino wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:08:10 pm The OS Cards i mean
Ah, those cards are missing from my collection :cry:

Do you know if there was anything special in how they were made that could clarify whether the art was reinked or not?

/Magnus
This having been done for the OS card lines up well with what I know of the process. It is definitely a different color palette, which makes perfect sense for the tech they used on the OS card. For the original cover, the process was likely to ink over a projection of the pencils, or a HQ photocopy of the pencils. The watercolor process usually involved making a slightly reduced in size copy of the inks onto the watercolor-ready paper stock before coloring.

If the original inks were not available, going back to the pencils and re-doing that process seems like they way it would have been done. The question now becomes if they colored over the original inking this time, or if they did the photo-reduction before coloring. If its the latter you have straight "color art". If it was actually inked by hand by the artist it's a different thing altogether. It's an important question any smart buyer would need to resolve.

nycjadie
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

It seems to have been used for the Omnibus, so it is a published piece. For original color covers, I generally see sales prices at $100-500 (with the higher end being key issues only), but the vast majority are between $100-175. If this was the original colors for Ninjak 1, I could see a price over $1K and possibly even at the the seller's asking price. However, this piece has been offered for sale for ages, it is not the original colors, and there doesn't seem to be a lot of interest in the piece in this price range. I would appraise this in the $500 range. Even then, original inks for covers routinely go for this price, and I would probably opt for that. Inks are far less light-sensitive to display, and more collectible. But this piece is still valuable given the provenance, the "key issue" factor and this is a great second best option for owning the colors to Ninjak 1.

valiantdude

Post by valiantdude »

So then this version of the cover was made for this card?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NINJAK-on-Vali ... %7Ciid%3A1

Which was then given to diamond, who used it for a contest?

And it was a copy that was re inked, supposedly confirmed by palmiotti, and then recolored, but it's not clear whether the inks are copied or real on this print..

magnusr
I would hang a left...
I would hang a left...

Post by magnusr »

valiantdude wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:06:17 pm So then this version of the cover was made for this card?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NINJAK-on-Vali ... %7Ciid%3A1
This is getting confusing. This is yet another card, though at a quick glance I would say it has the same colors as the regular Valiant Era card. Dino refers to the oversized card that was a boxtopper and that was made in bit different way. I have not compared to that one.
Which was then given to diamond, who used it for a contest?

And it was a copy that was re inked, supposedly confirmed by palmiotti, and then recolored, but it's not clear whether the inks are copied or real on this print..
It does seem to be just that confusing. Also, I'm not sure how much of it that was reused for the omnibus...

EDIT: The comic itself (both US and Spanish editions) seems to have the same colors as the Valiant Era card (quick and somewhat uncertain comparison), but the omnibus looks redone, both compared to the original colors and compared to the ones discussed here.

/Magnus