Two more things I learned about jim shooter

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

valiantdude
i was the one who posted this in 2013.omg wtf. i was smoking a lot of weed then. still do!!
i was the one who posted this in 2013.omg wtf. i was smoking a lot of weed then. still do!!
Two more things I learned about jim shooter

Post by valiantdude »

1) he wrote all the back story for transformers, character names, etc..

2)he told the toy company that was making gi Joes in the 80s to keep the name gijoe, they were going to call it something else, also he told them to make them the same size as the star wars toys, they were going to revive them as doll sized..and he wrote all the backstory for the toys with Larry hama

Jim shooter pretty much created the american childhood if you were an 80s child..

It's crazy how much impact he had..

Also, I've been super busy, but I will comment on the counterfeit valiant situation....
It's still undecided

reddog
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: chu chuck
Favorite title: solar
Favorite writer: shooter
Favorite artist: lapham
Re: Two more things I learned about jim shooter

Post by reddog »

never mind

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

Did he do any writing for Dino Riders or Ninja Turtles? I never really got into Transformers or GI Joes.

SwiftMann
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: Solar
Favorite title: 90s Shadowman

Post by SwiftMann »

Chiclo wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:00:48 pm Did he do any writing for Dino Riders or Ninja Turtles? I never really got into Transformers or GI Joes.
Those were Rob Liefeld.

Pretty sure Jim wrote the bible for M.A.S.K. and named each Care Bear though.
"If you think any of these [older comics/shows/movies] do not carry a political content and is not using the medium of science fiction to explore real-world ideas, than you have not been paying attention." - Dan Abnett, VCR #246

SwiftMann
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: Solar
Favorite title: 90s Shadowman

Post by SwiftMann »

Shooter's involvement in these franchises was detailed a decade ago by Jim himself on jimshooter.com. Not sure where your version is coming from but they are grossly exaggerated.

Transformers - Yes, he wrote the initial treatment and provided the framework for the back story. Yes, that treatment names maybe four specific characters, but says Optimus was Denny O'Neil. He then gave the assignment to Bob Budiansky, who "was pressed into service creating names and dossiers for the robots and he did a terrific job."

G.I. Joe - Jim Shooter's own post about this in 2011 says the company was going to do the toys like Star Wars, so not his idea. There was no thought of changing the name of the brand, Shooter suggested making it the group codename instead of one soldier. And again, from Shooter, "it was really all Larry from that point."
"If you think any of these [older comics/shows/movies] do not carry a political content and is not using the medium of science fiction to explore real-world ideas, than you have not been paying attention." - Dan Abnett, VCR #246

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

SwiftMann wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:44:32 pm Shooter's involvement in these franchises was detailed a decade ago by Jim himself on jimshooter.com. Not sure where your version is coming from but they are grossly exaggerated.

Transformers - Yes, he wrote the initial treatment and provided the framework for the back story. Yes, that treatment names maybe four specific characters, but says Optimus was Denny O'Neil. He then gave the assignment to Bob Budiansky, who "was pressed into service creating names and dossiers for the robots and he did a terrific job."

G.I. Joe - Jim Shooter's own post about this in 2011 says the company was going to do the toys like Star Wars, so not his idea. There was no thought of changing the name of the brand, Shooter suggested making it the group codename instead of one soldier. And again, from Shooter, "it was really all Larry from that point."
Red alert, 999!