Like old times...an Eternal Warrior question

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Oxmyx
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Blister
Favorite title: Rai and the Future Force
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Barry Wind-Smith
Like old times...an Eternal Warrior question

Post by Oxmyx »

Specifically, WRATH OF THE ETERNAL WARRIOR #1 ... isn't that included in the Risen TPB? If so, I own that and just have yet to read it. The trade may answer my questions.

But anyway, just finished a partial re-read of WRATH #1 (in which Gilad has "died" apparently and is making his way, or starting to, I think, back to the land of the living) and I saw an advertisement for Ninjak adventure OPERATION: DEADSIDE.

It got me thinking...is this place Gilad is visiting, with the hordes of demons, is this Deadside? Or a corner of Deadside? Or his own personal afterlife? Slather calls it the Ever After, which I suppose could be a descriptor for the Deadside.

I suppose my question can be considered spoilers, but I don't think it'll spoil that much.

I also think I might should just dig out Risen and find out
I've been looking everywhere for the ultra-rare Turok vs Blister issue. Anybody able to help me out?

Sunlight on Snow
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Re: Like old times...an Eternal Warrior question

Post by Sunlight on Snow »

Oxmyx wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:32:13 am Specifically, WRATH OF THE ETERNAL WARRIOR #1 ... isn't that included in the Risen TPB? If so, I own that and just have yet to read it. The trade may answer my questions.

But anyway, just finished a partial re-read of WRATH #1 (in which Gilad has "died" apparently and is making his way, or starting to, I think, back to the land of the living) and I saw an advertisement for Ninjak adventure OPERATION: DEADSIDE.

It got me thinking...is this place Gilad is visiting, with the hordes of demons, is this Deadside? Or a corner of Deadside? Or his own personal afterlife? Slather calls it the Ever After, which I suppose could be a descriptor for the Deadside.

I suppose my question can be considered spoilers, but I don't think it'll spoil that much.

I also think I might should just dig out Risen and find out
Then I'm gonna spoil a little (more) The Valiant, Book of Death, Wrath, and the Deadside portion of the Valiant Universe Handbooks (2016+).

If you (anyone) haven't already read these, then you may not want to continue reading this....

SPOILER ALERT!

Wrath is the direct continuation to Book of Death #4 in which you can already see a glimpse of Gilad's Afterlife. Also it's mentioned it's supposed to be his "final death," having sacrificed himself for the future of Earth and all mankind. Book of Death itself is a continuation from The Valiant and the dark future in The Valiant actually is what's foreshadowed in Book of Death. This is why it's meant to be his "final death" because he's already lived through the "dark path" that he just prevented by sending back Tama through time and space (from the dark future) and now he deserves to return to his first wife and family. Then, of course, comes The Dying One, forcing Gilad to return to Earth once again.

Gilad's Afterlife is his interpretation of the Deadside. It's said in Faith: Dreamside that everybody's Deadside looks different which makes sense. It's like faith and religion really. There's also the Valiant Universe Handbooks. Not sure if it was supposed for another comic book series or specifically made for the 2016 edition of said handbooks, but there's an exclusive image by Stephanie Hans showing the many nether realms incl. Polis, Deadside, Oldway and The Long Walks. I love this image and would love to have it as giant-size poster, by the way. It illustrates about everything: Heaven & Hell, the potential multiverses, that are interconnected somehow, Earth in which death lures behind each and every corner, and the many nether realms. And there's already a hint of Cthulhu.

Anyhow, Gilad's version of the "Afterlife" has got to be different from the one for dead souls of ordinary mortals who aren't supposed to come back. Only Shadowman's capable of going back and forth. Punk can do so by riding her Loa, Ayezan, and Shan Fong by magic. Then there's also Jessie who's aged several years while being in the Deadside where she didn't belong as she hadn't actually died; unlike Bloodshot and Bloodhound. Coming back to Stephanie Hans' illustration, maybe the Long Walks is actually meant to be Gilad's version of the Deadside and Oldway could be the Faraway which is some sort of Deadside, too. That's the only thing I don't really like about the illustration. There's no Faraway. Unless, of course, Oldway is meant to be the Faraway. I'd love to interview Warren Simons, Stephanie Hans, and whoever else was involved about the creation of this illustration. It's genius. It's also the only Valiant thing Stephanie Hans has ever done besides 3 covers.