Valiant Kickstarter….does anyone care?

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Dallow Spicer1
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa
Valiant Kickstarter….does anyone care?

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Some kind of game…here’s the blurb…but do you care enough? …..

MASTER DARQUE has assembled his army in Deadside. Only our heroes of the Valiant Universe stand a chance at stopping him from unleashing his horrors and destroying the world, but they need your help!
Valiant: FIGHT for DEADSIDE is a co-operative 1-4 player tabletop game coming soon to Kickstarter from designers Sen-Foong Lim (The Shining: Escape From The Overlook Hotel, Legend Of Korra: Pro-Bending Arena) Jon Cohn (Ghostbusters: Blackout, Munchkin: TMNT, Grindhouse) and plays in 45-60 minutes. Featuring flagship and fan-favorite characters of the Valiant Universe such as SHADOWMAN, NINJAK, PUNK MAMBO, DR. MIRAGE and more, it's up to these heroes of Deadside to take on MASTER DARQUE's army and stop them from invading our world.

The first 500 subscribers to the official Valiant Kickstarter newsletter will gain free access to an exclusive day one offer when the Kickstarter campaign goes live, giving fans a first look at digital content delving into the story behind the FIGHT for DEADSIDE!

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.
Re: Valiant Kickstarter….does anyone care?

Post by nycjadie »

Interesting...

Here is a link to Valiant's press release:
http://valiantentertainment.com/2021/09 ... -deadside/

I find it odd when companies of means put together a Kickstarter. It's almost like they don't have enough belief in their product to invest the time and money in their own product. For me, the spirit of Kickstarter is creator or inventor produced products that need funding and community support.

I would, however, be interested in a table top game. I quite enjoy playing games with my kids. It's a tradition we do a few times a month, and it would be fun to do that with some of my favorite comic characters.

SwiftMann
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: Solar
Favorite title: 90s Shadowman

Post by SwiftMann »

nycjadie wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:37:39 pmI find it odd when companies of means put together a Kickstarter. It's almost like they don't have enough belief in their product to invest the time and money in their own product. For me, the spirit of Kickstarter is creator or inventor produced products that need funding and community support.
This.

Although it's better than if they tried to raise for a comic or trade. That would be red flags all over. Maybe they didn't want/know how to gauge the market.

But, no, no interest here. Tabletop gaming isn't our jam.
"If you think any of these [older comics/shows/movies] do not carry a political content and is not using the medium of science fiction to explore real-world ideas, than you have not been paying attention." - Dan Abnett, VCR #246

Oxmyx
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Blister
Favorite title: Rai and the Future Force
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Barry Wind-Smith

Post by Oxmyx »

SwiftMann wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:35:34 pm
nycjadie wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:37:39 pm
1631841127418672398990413173803.jpg
For me, the spirit of Kickstarter is creator or inventor produced products that need funding and community support.
It is, however, mine. I might actually be interested in this, but I own enough games, some would say too many. I'm just gonna say enough.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I've been looking everywhere for the ultra-rare Turok vs Blister issue. Anybody able to help me out?

magnus20009
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by magnus20009 »

I'll definitely get it.

I got into Kickstarter games a few years ago and have back four projects. Two by IDW and two by CMON.

I would say it is a somewhat troubling sign when what should be more established companies decide to do something via Kickstarter. The TMNT game by IDW was only slightly behind schedule but the Batman Animated Series is already a year late and counting. IDW has closed their game division but supposedly it is still coming out. Looking at their public finacial records IDW isn't in the greatest of shape.

The other two games were Marvel United and X-Men United by CMON, who do everything on Kickstarter and it is night and day difference. Schedules are way shorter and more importantly met. I will likely back their Master of the Universe game.

I do not have the skill or time to paint so the more difficult part is finding someone to paint all the figures.

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

Oxmyx wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:13:39 pm
SwiftMann wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:35:34 pm
nycjadie wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:37:39 pm
1631841127418672398990413173803.jpgFor me, the spirit of Kickstarter is creator or inventor produced products that need funding and community support.
It is, however, mine. I might actually be interested in this, but I own enough games, some would say too many. I'm just gonna say enough.
Splendor, the game of kings!

IMJ
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O Manowar #1
Favorite character: VH1 Sting | VH2 Rai
Favorite title: VH2 Rai
Favorite writer: Kurt Busiek
Favorite artist: Sean Chen

Post by IMJ »

This is cool, but I'll never understand how the Valiant I.P. holders have failed time after time to deliver on a solid action figure line. It would be huge. Surprised we are doing a game over that.....

syzhang28

Post by syzhang28 »

I saw the article on CBR and thought exactly this, will enough people care to actually make this worth it for Valiant. They've really become a case study on how to destory a great line of comics

Oxmyx

Post by Oxmyx »

IMJ wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:59:06 am ... action figure line. It would be huge. Surprised we are doing a game over that.....
A big deal, yes, but how huge for sales profitability? I imagine Valiant action figures not selling well based on few kids knowing anything about the characters
I've been looking everywhere for the ultra-rare Turok vs Blister issue. Anybody able to help me out?

SwiftMann
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: Solar
Favorite title: 90s Shadowman

Post by SwiftMann »

Oxmyx wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:56:56 pm
IMJ wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:59:06 am ... action figure line. It would be huge. Surprised we are doing a game over that.....
A big deal, yes, but how huge for sales profitability? I imagine Valiant action figures not selling well based on few kids knowing anything about the characters
Action figures being for kids. :lol: :lol: :lol:
"If you think any of these [older comics/shows/movies] do not carry a political content and is not using the medium of science fiction to explore real-world ideas, than you have not been paying attention." - Dan Abnett, VCR #246

Oxmyx

Post by Oxmyx »

Chiclo wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:04:15 am
Oxmyx wrote:
Splendor, the game of kings!

Good eye, Chiclo. Good taste, too. I've got the Ninjak VS the VU game in there somewhere, too.

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

nycjadie wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:37:39 pmI find it odd when companies of means put together a Kickstarter. It's almost like they don't have enough belief in their product to invest the time and money in their own product. For me, the spirit of Kickstarter is creator or inventor produced products that need funding and community support.
I tend to agree with you in general on this point, as it really feels more appropriate to use Kickstarter as an indie crowd-source for funding.

But it has evolved a bit into a testing ground for more larger companies to gauge interest and basically guarantee if a project will get funded/paid for in advance. I can see the logic to that and it doesn’t generally trouble me.

Having said that, I doubt that I’ll get behind this one - I have backed one or two games on KS but I’m not a big collector of them. Even with a Valiant theme, this isn’t a big hook for me personally.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Chiclo

Post by Chiclo »

Oxmyx wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:43:47 am Good eye, Chiclo. Good taste, too. I've got the Ninjak VS the VU game in there somewhere, too.
Here is my shelf. We keep Splendor in a box with several other games - Ghost Blitz, Ghost Blitz Jr, Coup, the Resistance, Detective Club and TorahLine (maybe a couple of others?) - in the trunk of my wife’s car so we can have them on hand to play the games with assorted nieces and nephews. Splendor is well liked in that crowd.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

JCP
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Toyo Harada
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Mico Suayan & Lewis LaRosa

Post by JCP »

David Baron just announced he will have a Kickstarter project coming soon that will likely be a much better book.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/da ... abysitters
Egad, a base tone denotes a bad age!

nycjadie
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

JCP wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:31:45 am David Baron just announced he will have a Kickstarter project coming soon that will likely be a much better book.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/da ... abysitters
I’d get behind that!

Oxmyx

Post by Oxmyx »

Chiclo wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:24:50 am
Oxmyx wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:43:47 am Good eye, Chiclo. Good taste, too. I've got the Ninjak VS the VU game in there somewhere, too.
Here is my shelf. We keep Splendor in a box with several other games - Ghost Blitz, Ghost Blitz Jr, Coup, the Resistance, Detective Club and TorahLine (maybe a couple of others?) - in the trunk of my wife’s car so we can have them on hand to play the games with assorted nieces and nephews. Splendor is well liked in that crowd.
Nice collection. I recognize a few faces. Well, well, I learned something new about you, Chiclo. The beige-colored box....is that GUILLOTINE? Do you own any FLUXX? Have you played SENTINELS OF THE MULTIVERSE? If not, you need to. SENTINELS is a co-op game of superheroes. Which interestingly is what this Deadside Kickstarter wants to be.

Chiclo

Post by Chiclo »

Oxmyx wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:49:21 pm
Nice collection. I recognize a few faces. Well, well, I learned something new about you, Chiclo. The beige-colored box....is that GUILLOTINE? Do you own any FLUXX? Have you played SENTINELS OF THE MULTIVERSE? If not, you need to. SENTINELS is a co-op game of superheroes. Which interestingly is what this Deadside Kickstarter wants to be.
Not sure which beige box you are referring to. The one near the bottom shelf is Koridor. There are a couple of wood boxes near the top which are domino sets from… someone in my wife’s family?

Sunlight on Snow

Post by Sunlight on Snow »

GIPF & YINSH seem to be missing?!?

Oxmyx

Post by Oxmyx »

Chiclo wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:58:08 pm
Here is my shelf. ... Splendor is well liked in that crowd.
Not sure which beige box you are referring to. The one near the bottom shelf is Koridor. There are a couple of wood boxes near the top which are domino sets from… someone in my wife’s family?
I was looking at the box nestled next to Puerto Rico, with red lettering

Chiclo

Post by Chiclo »

Sunlight on Snow wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:27:17 am GIPF & YINSH seem to be missing?!?
They are at my sister-in-law’s house. :D

Chiclo

Post by Chiclo »

Oxmyx wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:24:30 pm
Chiclo wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:58:08 pm
Here is my shelf. ... Splendor is well liked in that crowd.
I was looking at the box nestled next to Puerto Rico, with red lettering
Kings of Mithril. I picked it up less than a month ago and haven’t gotten around to playing it yet. It is still in the plastic and that is why it is hard to see in this picture.