RE: CBCS Verified Signature

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

battlepark
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: uh...All of them!
RE: CBCS Verified Signature

Post by battlepark »

I recently sold a Unity Platinum that was signed by BWS and Layton with the letter from Valiant for $111 on eBay.
That shocked me, I know that BWS doesn't do CGC signings, but I couldn't believe his unverified signature went for that much.

My question is, do people value books that are CBCS Verified Signature as much as they do a CGC Gold label
signature series?

These signatures were on the cover, but do any of you care if the signature is on the 1st page where you
cannot see it?
I hoard Newsstand Editions facepalm

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.
Re: RE: CBCS Verified Signature

Post by nycjadie »

I think the short answer is no. There was also some controversy about CBCS verifying fraudulent signatures which set them back.

Personally, I like them. It’s graded and verified. But I also attempt to verify any of my grades or non-graded items that I did not personally have signed. It’s like anything really. You view to view the book for condition even if it’s graded.

I was at a store recently and purchased a number of wall books. The owner wouldn’t let me open the books myself (which frankly is pretty rare for me), but he opened a few dozen books. I Check for tape, restoration and condition. I smell the book, check the centerfold and staples, it’s amazing how often I find a missing page, color touch, tape! Not disclosed. FWIW I hate hate hate tape.

In any event, I’m trying to demonstrate that it’s less about the condition of the book for me as opposed to certain defects. I’m not OK with tape. I’m OK with the signature if I believe it’s authentic.

jameskh
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?

Post by jameskh »

I am surprised that a raw Platinum Unity sold for that much. Maybe BWS and the letter added value to the buyers.

To answer your question. As a buyer I do not think CBCS verified signature adds much value. I think I have a couple of CBCS verified signatures. I didnt pay much for them. I dont think the CBCS fee ($15?) is worth it.

CGC witnessed sig > CBCS witnessed sig > CBCS verified sig > CGC Green label (name written on cover)

To me as a buyer a slab with signature on 1st page is only worth slightly more than same slab if it didnt have a signature.

bandbsdad
Working on the first full appearance of me
Working on the first full appearance of me
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Ninjak
Favorite title: Deathmate
Favorite writer: Kevin VanHook
Favorite artist: Jimmy Palmiotti

Post by bandbsdad »

The CBCS, and for that matter PGX/EGS, signature verification program is an adequate process if the books are mine and I witnessed the signing. Selling on ebay I would post where/when they were signed and that I am the witness. I would be hesitant to purchase one of these verified signature books off ebay (I would have to take other things into account, like feedback from seller, contacting seller, asking questions, COA's etc). In other words if someone has a signed Stan Lee book and has a low feedback and no COA I might want to take another look. As for placement of the signature, sure front of cover, so everyone can see, can't see the signature if it's on the front page when slabbed. I have noticed some companies actually printing the "name" written on front cover, instead of "writing on front cover" which makes no sense cause most of the time a non comic person couldn't tell who signed it unless you are familiar with their sigs. Last thought, when submitting these verified sig books, I always include a copy of a COA (if available), when and where it was signed and a picture of the artist holding the book that they signed (if available). Pretty hard to dispute a picture. Although these companies say not to send them any documentation, I find that to be unwise on their part. More documentation I can provide to the verifier the better. I have books that were signed in the early 90's, does anyone know of an artist whose signature has changed over the years? If there has been then it would be relative to know when the book was signed.