CBCS grading of the Deathmate Orange Variant

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

bandbsdad
Working on the first full appearance of me
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Ninjak
Favorite title: Deathmate
Favorite writer: Kevin VanHook
Favorite artist: Jimmy Palmiotti
CBCS grading of the Deathmate Orange Variant

Post by bandbsdad »

I was shocked to see a CBCS graded Orange Variant in 9.8 with the spine torn up and trimmed. This book is currently on ebay and from the CBCS census there are five more like it from the same submission. I assume that Mr Borock (President of CBCS) believes that all Orange variants were glued into the previews magazine and therefore the spine gets a pass and he grades the rest of the book. Any Thoughts??? I currently have a CGC and a PGX graded 9.8 unglued copies on ebay so that you can compare the books. I also have a copy at CBCS ready for grading (received Dec 8th), so should be interesting to see what that book is graded at.

ckb
Psssst. Hey buddy, need another CGC fix?
Psssst. Hey buddy, need another CGC fix?
Re: CBCS grading of the Deathmate Orange Variant

Post by ckb »

I took a look at big mess of graded DM orange currently listed on eBay. My honest opinion is that the 9.8 was a mistake by CBCS. It looks like MCS sent in a pile of them and CBCS just screwed up the grade on one of them. Ironically the PGX 9.8 looks like a real unbound copy. Who'da thunk it?

Yours is hands down the best of the bunch. I say that with some authority. :-)

jameskh
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?

Post by jameskh »

I didnt realize there is a variant of Deathmate Orange that was not in a Previews Magazine. This situation is similar to the Defiant Plasm 0 as there are Plasm 0 variants that were not from a Preview Magazine. I have seen CBCS 9.8 with the glued Plasm 0; so CBCS purposely graded multiple (glued spine) Deathmate Orange as 9.8. IMO it shouldnt be graded that highly especially with variants without glued spines.
Last edited by jameskh on Sat Apr 09, 2022 2:57:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jameskh

Post by jameskh »

Doh, sorry posting error. But now that I know, I want one too ;)

bandbsdad
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Ninjak
Favorite title: Deathmate
Favorite writer: Kevin VanHook
Favorite artist: Jimmy Palmiotti

Post by bandbsdad »

The PGX 9.8 that is currently on ebay is my copy that came from the same batch as the first 10 CGC 9.8's. I just wanted to have a "second opinion" as to their grade and PGX was kind enuf to do that. Also, these unglued orange copies are the same copies that would have been glued into the previews magazine, it just so happens these were sitting out at the Diamond Comics retailers sale in Batavia, IL in the Summer of 1993 where I obtained "several". I think the notation "variant" comes from the two different colors (pink and orange) and the Comic Defense System/Advance comics editions (four in all that are the same book just different covers). My question to the Valiant world is: will CBCS find themselves painted into a corner issuing 9.8's to those glued/trimmed books and issue my unglued/not trimmed book a 9.9 or will they just issue my books a 9.8 like CGC and PGX did? I should be receiving those books from CBCS in mid May. So stay tuned.