VALIANT(DMG) APRIL 2022 SALES CHART!

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

armlessphelan
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill
Re: VALIANT(DMG) APRIL 2022 SALES CHART!

Post by armlessphelan »

I think the only publisher intent on solely publishing comics these days is Image. Mostly because of how the business model is set up. Everyone else either has a shared universe they wanna license to TV and film studios, or they publish licensed comics to pay for the creator-owned stuff they publish that they have a financial stake in licensing to TV and film studios. I know that's the Boom and IDW model, though Dynamite seems to be the only one succeeding at it.
Manga, comics, who cares? They're pretty much the same thing.

possumgrease
I had the 1,000,000th post on this board and all I got was this lousy custom ranking.
I had the 1,000,000th post on this board and all I got was this lousy custom ranking.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by possumgrease »

Ryan wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 1:10:01 pm
depluto wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 9:31:25 am Looks like some Armorines 4s in there ...
But will there be any completionists left to hunt them down? I think all the variant covers also hurt the completionist mentality long term. It just gets to be too much.
I agree about the variants. As much as I loved the VEI stories, the variants pulled me out of the completionist mentality because it made it an impossibility.

As to these numbers, how do you pay for overhead with only that?

The Harbinger
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago

Post by The Harbinger »

This is an interesting thread. Not surprising in anyway, but bummer about Life and Death of Toyo Harada. Harbinger's recent run is as bad as comics get, but Life and Death was good the whole way through. I wished they got more exposure, but I get there was a lot of garbage out there to sift through, even at Valiant.

Ryan
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Clinkin' bottles with Aram

Post by Ryan »

armlessphelan wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:17:58 pm I think the only publisher intent on solely publishing comics these days is Image. Mostly because of how the business model is set up. Everyone else either has a shared universe they wanna license to TV and film studios, or they publish licensed comics to pay for the creator-owned stuff they publish that they have a financial stake in licensing to TV and film studios. I know that's the Boom and IDW model, though Dynamite seems to be the only one succeeding at it.
The question is, is there even a comics-only business model that would work these days? I would argue yes there is, but certainly very difficult to pull off. You would have to keep overhead as low as possible in the beginning, no offices in NY/LA, no redundant editorial positions, no marketing or social media people, those jobs are extraneous and mostly irrelevant to the final product IMO.

There's still a venue for American comics, 2,000 or so comic shops across N. America and W. Europe that have regular readers hungry for reading material. I think it's still possible but it would take a lot of the right circumstances falling into place. I think VEI is a little different since they had to have some kind of big investment from the beginning in order to secure the characters. Then the focus becomes positioning the IPs for movies etc. instead of solely making it about the comic book business, and that changes how decisions are made. :twocents: