Dino Looking to Buy Back Valiant? (Bleeding Cool)

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

TheFerg714
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: July 2014
Favorite character: Archer
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp
Dino Looking to Buy Back Valiant? (Bleeding Cool)

Post by TheFerg714 »

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/dinesh- ... k-valiant/
It appears the Non Disclosure Agreements are strong with Valiant Entertainment. Yesterday, Bleeding Cool reported on major issues concerning Valiant Comics, with multiple reports of layoffs and resignations at the publisher, and was unable to find anyone still working at there aside from freelance creators. Some employees posted that their employment status at Valiant as "Former", such as Lysa Hawkins and Cody White, but no one is willing to go further than that. We may have been too hasty with sending Valiant publisher Fred Pierce, the longest-standing Valiant employee of all, to the cornfield, purely based on his profile that states "worked at Valiant". While he too has not replied to Bleeding Cool enquiries, I am led to understand that he remains with the comic book publisher. So, that's one, then. Valiant is not over but it's going through a major transition. There are key people still in place and a plan to move forward. We just don't know who they are or what they are doing.

Former CEO Dinesh Shamdasani, who was forced out by the current owners was asked on Twitter, in response to this news, if he wanted to buy a comic book company on the cheap. Shamdasani replied "Been on it all week."

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]
Valiant fan since: Yes
Favorite character: Yes
Favorite title: Yes
Favorite writer: Yes
Re: Dino Looking to Buy Back Valiant? (Bleeding Cool)

Post by depluto »

Now that would be something!

kjjohanson
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1
Favorite character: Anon-Lurker
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente

Post by kjjohanson »

That would be awesome
If you're not a *SQUEE*, you're okay with me.

lobo

Post by lobo »

It would be a BAD IDEA!

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

lobo wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:26:21 pm It would be a BAD IDEA!
Better idea than Nicky B.

THEWGZK
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite artist: BWS

Post by THEWGZK »

Here's a screenshot of said tweet, couldn't fit the whole thread. There's not much.

THEWGZK
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite artist: BWS

Post by THEWGZK »

THEWGZK wrote:Here's a screenshot of said tweet, couldn't fit the whole thread. There's not much.
Forgot attachmentImage

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Dallow Spicer1
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

That would be immense!! :high-five:

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

If Dinesh does but back Valiant will it be at a lower price than he sold his shares for?

Also, he’s been oddly quiet so I think he’s working on this in the background.

What do you all think?

Chiclo

Post by Chiclo »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:50:32 am If Dinesh does but back Valiant will it be at a lower price than he sold his shares for?

What do you all think?
I think it is time to let Valiant rest for a while. Recover from the damage of the last few years.

The price for the IPs would go down since Dino sold because the value of the IP has declined.

Most of all, keep the IPs out of the hands of Nicky B. This is exactly the kind of bargain bin property that kind of bottom feeder likes to exploit. It is last call, Valiant is the girl at the bar bawling into her vodka and cranberry and Nicky B is the guy with greasy hair, a leather jacket and a bottle of artisinal ghb ready to take her home for a night she will never remember.

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Chiclo wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:00:13 am
Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:50:32 am If Dinesh does but back Valiant will it be at a lower price than he sold his shares for?

What do you all think?
I think it is time to let Valiant rest for a while. Recover from the damage of the last few years.

The price for the IPs would go down since Dino sold because the value of the IP has declined.

Most of all, keep the IPs out of the hands of Nicky B. This is exactly the kind of bargain bin property that kind of bottom feeder likes to exploit. It is last call, Valiant is the girl at the bar bawling into her vodka and cranberry and Nicky B is the guy with greasy hair, a leather jacket and a bottle of artisinal ghb ready to take her home for a night she will never remember.
:lol: Oddly specific analogy Chiclo!

I think it’s still salvageable from the damage done by DMG. I’d rather keep the current 2012 onwards continuity (obviously correct the recent garbage) then I think former readers will come back. Dino is the best hype man in comics so I think he’ll bring the VDittis, Dysart’s etc back.

Do we really want a reboot from scratch?

valiantdude
i was the one who posted this in 2013.omg wtf. i was smoking a lot of weed then. still do!!
i was the one who posted this in 2013.omg wtf. i was smoking a lot of weed then. still do!!

Post by valiantdude »

if BCB can rescue ips from CCP control, that would be a redemption for him.. he already burned the bridge with jim, so hes not coming back..
BUT START FROM SCRATCH!! KEEP PREUNITY CHARACTERIZATIONS THE SAME BUT ULTIMATE STYLE UPDATING, DONT FLIP GENDERS, FLIP NAMES, MAKE EVERYTHING OPPOSITE.. EVEN ULTIMATE STYLE UNITY CROSSOVER.. everyone seems to forget vei was in the toliet on many ways before CCP buyout..

TheFerg714

Post by TheFerg714 »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:50:32 am Also, [dino]’s been oddly quiet so I think he’s working on this in the background.

What do you all think?
This *SQUEE* is giving me anxiety. I've been checking this site, r/Valiant, the Discord groups, and Dino's Twitter like five times per day since the initial news dropped last week. At this point, I just want to know what's going on. Is it even worth having hope or not?
Chiclo wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:00:13 am I think it is time to let Valiant rest for a while. Recover from the damage of the last few years.
What damage? They could easily continue right where they left off, and probably even incorporate the DMG stories without a problem. I, for one, wouldn't want Bunn's Shadowman/Punk Mambo, or Abnett's Rai, to go to waste. Those were some great stories that added to the overall Valiant mythos in positive ways.
Who the hell is Nicky B?
Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:05:05 amDo we really want a reboot from scratch?
Hell no. However, I would very much welcome a Crisis-esque event that brought the Gold Key characters into Valiant.
valiantdude wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:15:49 am everyone seems to forget vei was in the toliet on many ways before CCP buyout..
I'm sorry, what? :roll: 2017-2018 Valiant put out some absolute bangers like Secret Weapons, Ninja-K, Kindt's X-O, Diggle's Shadowman, Brittania 2 & 3. It was definitely weaker than 2012-2015, but "in the toilet"? Come the f*ck on.

Also, who's BCB?

FormerReader
I spoke with Dino and he said you can divulge all information to me.
I spoke with Dino and he said you can divulge all information to me.

Post by FormerReader »

What do you all think?
I think while the valuation of Valiant has dropped since Dinesh was forced out, I would be surprised if he is able to buy it back. Didn’t DMG make a nine figure investment when they bought part of the company? So is it safe to safe Valiant is worth somewhere in the $100Mil range?

valiantdude

Post by valiantdude »

birthday cake boy

Also, the sales figures were terrible and constantly descending which with each new title, new book, the story lines would Meander and drift into nothingness and there were hardcore vei fans that were just not on board with the books at that point, I personally never liked them after the first year, some of the books flat out sucked from day one, and among other personal issues. So this is bcb's chance to write the wrong that he perpetuated, and then turned over to the CCP

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

valiantdude wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:03:48 pm birthday cake boy

Also, the sales figures were terrible and constantly descending which with each new title, new book, the story lines would Meander and drift into nothingness and there were hardcore vei fans that were just not on board with the books at that point, I personally never liked them after the first year, some of the books flat out sucked from day one, and among other personal issues. So this is bcb's chance to write the wrong that he perpetuated, and then turned over to the CCP
Nah this is crazy talk. The best of VEI was superior to pre-unity albeit you have to recognise that VEI built upon the creativity of Shooter, BWS etc. VH1 was a very short period and of it’s time.

Dysart’s Harbinger culminating in LADOTH is as good as comics get. Vditti’s XO took the character to new heights as did Kindt on Rai and Ninjak and Lemire on Bloodshot.

Yes there were duds such A&A, Shadowman but the hit rate was high.

As the Ferg said Abnett’s Rai has that character in a good place continuity wise and Shadowman too (I haven’t read Bunn’s version). The other characters are easily fixable by decent writers.

The timing of Dinesh being forced out was criminal, I’m certain he’d have brought in new readers on the back of the Bloodshot movie (I know it wasn’t the best film ever but it was respectable and certainly better than many Marvel/DC efforts with higher budgets.

If Valiant is worth a £100 mil then I reckon with Dinesh’s patter he can get new investors to raise that kind of money.

TheFerg714

Post by TheFerg714 »

People really forget that Pre-Unity only lasted like a year. VEI eclipsed VH1 around the time of Valiant Next, when they proved that they could still be great after a soft reboot.

TheFerg714

Post by TheFerg714 »

valiantdude wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:03:48 pm Also, the sales figures were terrible and constantly descending which with each new title
First of all, were sales figures really that bad? I'm pretty sure Kindt's X-O performed great, and Ninja-K did about as well as Ninjak. Diggle's Shadowman outperformed the previous Shadowman series by quite a bit. Secret Weapons was a (relative) hit. I could be talking out of my *SQUEE* though. I believe the sales were generally lower simply because they were publishing less content.
the story lines would Meander and drift into nothingness
Please provide evidence. Even the series that were cut short by DMG had satisfying conclusions.
I personally never liked them after the first year,
Seriously? Imperium? The Valiant? Armor Hunters? Bloodshot Reborn? Life and Death of Toyo Harada? Rai and 4001 A.D.? Valiant released some of their best stories after 2012-13.
some of the books flat out sucked from day one, and among other personal issues. So this is bcb's chance to write the wrong that he perpetuated, and then turned over to the CCP
Which ones "flat out sucked" exactly? I can name a few... Roberts' A+A and Dead Drop come to mind, but not much else.

Also, who is BCB?

Blood of Heroes
I only beat my wife when I'm sober.
I only beat my wife when I'm sober.

Post by Blood of Heroes »

VD is talking about Dinesh. He hates Dinesh and tries to put him down every chance he gets.
I’m sure the comic book company that VD starts will be waay better than VEI. I can’t wait for those books to drop so I can start counterfeiting them.

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

"VD"

:spit take:
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

Chiclo

Post by Chiclo »

TheFerg714 wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:50:34 am
Chiclo wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:00:13 am Most of all, keep the IPs out of the hands of Nicky B. This is exactly the kind of bargain bin property that kind of bottom feeder likes to exploit. It is last call, Valiant is the girl at the bar bawling into her vodka and cranberry and Nicky B is the guy with greasy hair, a leather jacket and a bottle of artisinal ghb ready to take her home for a night she will never remember.
Who the hell is Nicky B?
Nick Barucci, owner of Dynamite comics (which still sucks) and self-styled VIP.

Ryan
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Clinkin' bottles with Aram

Post by Ryan »

VDude, it's pointless to argue against VEI since the people who are still posting here are here BECAUSE they like VEI. Anybody who wasn't as crazy about it probably stopped posting and lost interest in Valiant long ago.

It basically comes down to personal preference, VEI had a specific style of story and art. If you liked that, then you like VEI. The bigger question is how do they (or whoever does Valiant next) build more reader interest. For all the hype which led to good initial sales, how do they get sales to actually go up during a book's run?

Initial hype is good and can be generated a lot of ways, but they need the reader-generated hype that comes organically from people really enjoying a run and word spreading around.

VH1 did that. There was initial hype with the old Gold Key characters coming back and a new comic line launching but when that faded the sales dipped down like they always do. The difference with VH1 is that month after month lots of people were enjoying the books and word slowly spread around that there was something special going on, which led to all sales climbing and the explosion of interest when Unity launched.

Is that repeatable? Who knows. But the only way for Valiant to become a thing again is if someone can find that magic :?

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

Chiclo wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:44:22 am
TheFerg714 wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:50:34 am
Chiclo wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:00:13 am Most of all, keep the IPs out of the hands of Nicky B. This is exactly the kind of bargain bin property that kind of bottom feeder likes to exploit. It is last call, Valiant is the girl at the bar bawling into her vodka and cranberry and Nicky B is the guy with greasy hair, a leather jacket and a bottle of artisinal ghb ready to take her home for a night she will never remember.
Who the hell is Nicky B?
Nick Barucci, owner of Dynamite comics (which still sucks) and self-styled VIP.
You're giving Barucci too much credit. He's below "bottom feeder" because the auction for the Acclaim properties started at $250,000 and he didn't bother showing up. Nicky B is the guy who jumps in the Uber that the actual last guy at the bar called for the last girl at the bar and then he pretends he was with her all night. (Drive! Just drive!)

IMJ
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O Manowar #1
Favorite character: VH1 Sting | VH2 Rai
Favorite title: VH2 Rai
Favorite writer: Kurt Busiek
Favorite artist: Sean Chen

Post by IMJ »

greg wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:32:13 pm You're giving Barucci too much credit. He's below "bottom feeder" because the auction for the Acclaim properties started at $250,000 and he didn't bother showing up. Nicky B is the guy who jumps in the Uber that the actual last guy at the bar called for the last girl at the bar and then he pretends he was with her all night. (Drive! Just drive!)
I feel like this level of alacrity and depth of description of the topic reflects something I would normally write more than something you would normally write. Nice work! I didn't know who Barucci is, but now I feel like I do.

armlessphelan
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill

Post by armlessphelan »

I can't speak for Nicky B's ethics, but dude has published some great comics. Priest's run on Vampirella is one of the best books every month. But I don't love Dynamite the way I did VEI and VH1 (until Birthquake). While I would love for Dinesh to buy Valiant and make the books great, I haven't been arsed to read anything from the company in months. And being down to only one book is just weird.
Manga, comics, who cares? They're pretty much the same thing.