Dino Looking to Buy Back Valiant? (Bleeding Cool)

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Dallow Spicer1
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa
Re: Dino Looking to Buy Back Valiant? (Bleeding Cool)

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

armlessphelan wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 6:17:53 pm arsed
Are you british? :hm:

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

His profile says he's from Ohio. Not British, but dangerously close to Canada...
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

lorddunlow wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 9:32:49 pm His profile says he's from Ohio. Not British, but dangerously close to Canada...
Canadian/Ohio people say ‘arse’? :lol: :clap: Glad to hear it!
I don’t know who you people think you are changing our words to things like ‘*SQUEE*’ and butchering our spelling. We gave you a perfectly good language so you all should revert back to the original (ie better) version as it was intended. :P

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote:
lorddunlow wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 9:32:49 pm His profile says he's from Ohio. Not British, but dangerously close to Canada...
Canadian/Ohio people say ‘arse’? Image :clap: Glad to hear it!
I don’t know who you people think you are changing our words to things like ‘*SQUEE*’ and butchering our spelling. We gave you a perfectly good language so you all should revert back to the original (ie better) version as it was intended. :P
Not that I know of. Anyway, Brits talk funny.

I'm finally going to the honky motherland in October!
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

lorddunlow wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 7:36:01 am I'm finally going to the honky motherland in October!
:lol:

And you’ll be welcomed with open arms!
ps no guns allowed

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 2:16:49 am
As much as I’d prefer that to be the case, I am afraid the English have lost control of their own language.

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 7:40:59 am ps no guns allowed
It is hard for me not to take this one personally.

NO YORKSHIRE TEA IN AMERICA, HOW IS THAT? We’ll throw it in the harbour! Burnt biscuit colour or not!

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Chiclo wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 8:01:27 am
Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 2:16:49 am
As much as I’d prefer that to be the case, I am afraid the English have lost control of their own language.
This is sadly true, to quote Morrissey “we look to Los Angeles for the language we use, London is dead”.

But, I firmly believe we can turn the tide starting with this site! Remember …a journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step!

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Chiclo wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 8:03:19 am
Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 7:40:59 am ps no guns allowed
It is hard for me not to take this one personally.

NO YORKSHIRE TEA IN AMERICA, HOW IS THAT? We’ll throw it in the harbour! Burnt biscuit colour or not!
I don’t make the rules Chiclo :lol: And Yorkshire tea should be thrown into the nearest harbour, it’s far too strong !!

markie7235
My posts can all fit in a short box

Post by markie7235 »

Did anything ever develop from this?

I know there are people on this site that were/are quite close to Dinesh, so just wondering if the tweet was just a tease or if there was actually something in the works

As to whether Dinesh buying Valiant back is a good idea....

Can Valiant be salvaged at this point? I think so. There's a couple approaches, from Retconning, starting over, or just rebuilding from where things currently are

Should Valiant be salvaged? This is a harder question. Valiant has some iconic characters at this point, but has struggled (even with Dinesh) to translate many of them into interesting stories...

One of the largest struggles I feel Valiant has is while they have some great heroes, they lack interesting/standing villains. This was true of old Valiant to some extent also. They have Darque and Harada....that's about it. Anyone else of any potential promise seems to be introduced in a 4 part series and killed off by the end. While good heroes these days can develop into good stories with mainstay villains, part of comics is conflict/struggle, and you can only play the "internal struggles" card so many times. You need a roster of interesting Villains to challenge your heroes in new ways. Marvel and DC have no lack of these to draw on and even still come out with some new and great ones every couple years

Another issue I feel Dinesh needs to address is knock it off with the 4 issue mini-series. It seems like that's all Valiant is anymore...just an endless stream of mini-series. And with the 4 issue ones, the formula is the same...Issue 1 & 2 setup for a major problem, issue 3 is a montage with narration of how bad things have become and the need for heroes to rise up, and issue 4 is a rushed mess to kill off the new big bad introduced in issue 1. It's so predictable and rote at this point

Issue 3; enough with the re-invention of Bloodshot, Shadowman, and X-O Manowar. Leave the poor *SQUEE* alone. Seems every year we get a new series re-defining their story/origin/powers. Again, challenging your heroes through internal struggle stories aren't bad, unless they are done to death...and in the case of these 2 characters, it's been bludgeoned beyond recognition. I can't even get excited anymore for a new series on either of these characters. While some may view these stories as a creative new take, to me they just emphasize the lack of creativity on what to do with their IPs.

Issue 4; lack of characters - Wait, what?!? Didn't I say they had a ton of iconic characters? Yes, they do, but beyond X-O, Eternal Warrior, Shadowman, and Bloodshot, most go untouched. Again, part of what keeps Marvel and DC strong is a constant introduction of new characters. Some work, some don't. The last big character Valiant introduced was Divinity, which they had some great stories around even through the Eternity series, and then....nothing. Just abandoned. He was extremely popular, and then gone. There have been some other interesting characters introduced along the way that if fleshed out further had potential, like War Mother (NOT Savage). There's just an overall lack of content and variety...and with less staff, that means less content, which means again swilling the barrel of Bloodshot and Shadowman....again

Issue 5, and this is one some comic fans bristle at - New characters/Introductions equals potential for investment. Potential for investment equals more copies sold. More copies sold grabs the attention of people not currently reading, which leads to more issues sold. More issues sold equals more revenue and thus ability to expand. I know some fans hate the fact that comic books have become an investment media....Truth, they always were. You can't sacrifice story for it, but comic books are a collectors item. Collectors are investors hoping their collection becomes worth something in time. First appearances and iconic covers attract collectors. Love him or hate him, it's a truth Donny Cates knows all too well, and he's created some of the most interesting new characters for Marvel during his runs (Cosmic Ghost Rider, Knull the Symbiote King, Dylan Brock, God of Hammers, Black Winter, Titan Hulk, etc). If you want a marvel series to invest in, find whatever Donny Cates is currently doing, because he intentionally for this reason creates new stories that introduce new characters, because he gets it. If you want to grow your base and operations, you need investor appeal. Valiant lacks that currently because of the many issues I already mentioned. Also, iconic covers...I'm sorry, but when your cover is always just your main character in a new pose, that's boring. Spider-man got that way for awhile where I couldn't even tell the difference between one issue to the next because all the covers were just a big old spider-man in a new pose...I miss covers that at least somewhat reflected the characters and stories inside.

Side Note to 3 &4; X-men still are incredibly popular in Marvel...I mean, coming up with new mutants and abilities can be endless. Valiant has their own spin on this with Harbinger, but since the original run, has been terrible due to some character development decisions. And frankly, the original Dinesh run of Harbingers was really just a re-spin of the original Harbinger series by Shooter. Harbinger and Unity books in the 90's put Valiant on the map to begin with. Honestly, Harbingers should not that hard of a book to write. First, introduce some more Harbinger characters...again, these are your "mutants", you have an endless stream of abilities you could make. Next, while real world characters are something Valiant focuses on, some actually "cool" looking or mutated looking characters would help. Not everyone should look like normal street clothes McGee. This series for Valiant should be one of their bedrocks, but between neglect, lack of new & interesting characters, and poor writing, Harbinger has been thrown on the trash bin of Valiant.

Last side note, personal pain point for me; I loved the character of Eternal Warrior...I still "like him" now. But since reintroduced in VEI, he feels like a dumbed down barbarian. Part of what Gilad interesting was his longevity, and also his skills in numerous fighting styles, his calm, cool, and collected approach, etc. I mean, dude's lived for over 4000 years, and been in more wars than anyone could count, he's not going to go in all hot and reckless. His experience makes him a brilliant strategist and unparalleled fighter. But the thing that truly made the original EW interesting was his insertion into various times and events in history. The old Valiant books often started with a story in the past set in some historic moment with Gilad that then translated into a story in current events. It was a cool approach that has been abandoned with the current dumbed down version of Gilad.

I don't know, just some thoughts. Dinesh had a good start with VEI, and it all went to *SQUEE* when DMG took over. But if Valiant is going to change hands and be relevant again, there are definitely some core problems that need to be addressed and you're going to need to create new reasons for veteran fans and new fans alike to be drawn in. Another take on Bloodshot, Shadowman, or X-O Manowar is not going to do it. They've been over-done. And until that all changes, I'll stick to my Marvel books.

betterthanezra
Wanna see an unpublished Shadowman page?
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart

Post by betterthanezra »

My feeling is Dinesh has moved on. While I know he (like all of us) still loves the characters, it’s not something he is focused on right now. If and when DMG is tapped out and the one book a month is finished it could be revisited but not until then.

-Brian
I'm on Twitter follow me

https://twitter.com/#!/shadowsip" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My Valiant story here

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6932" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

betterthanezra wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 3:17:58 pm My feeling is Dinesh has moved on. While I know he (like all of us) still loves the characters, it’s not something he is focused on right now. If and when DMG is tapped out and the one book a month is finished it could be revisited but not until then.

-Brian
What a comeback story it’d be though if he did eventually re-purchase the company and make it a huge success!

TheFerg714
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: July 2014
Favorite character: Archer
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp

Post by TheFerg714 »

I choose to continue to have completely unfounded hope.

betterthanezra
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart

Post by betterthanezra »

Dinesh knew exactly what one tweet would do…

Free publicity it’s that simple

-Brian
I'm on Twitter follow me

https://twitter.com/#!/shadowsip" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My Valiant story here

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6932" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

It would be pretty sweet though if Dinesh & co bought the company back and managed to turn things around - it would flip the script on the strangely similar pattern of what has happened to Valiant during both the VH1 & VEI eras.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

possumgrease
I had the 1,000,000th post on this board and all I got was this lousy custom ranking.
I had the 1,000,000th post on this board and all I got was this lousy custom ranking.
Valiant fan since: 1992

Post by possumgrease »

My hot take is that Bad Idea is putting out better books than VEI and it would be going backwards to try to bring Valiant back from the brink.

I loved the characters as a kid and VEI gave me the nostalgia high that I needed to fuel another 20 years. Let's push things forward now (says the guy posting on the Valiant Fans message board).

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Putting out better books than VEI isn’t a high bar. The advantage VEI has is it’s an ongoing coherent universe. As good as some of the Bad Idea books are, I prefer to have an ongoing set of titles.

syzhang28

Post by syzhang28 »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:19:18 am Putting out better books than VEI isn’t a high bar. The advantage VEI has is it’s an ongoing coherent universe. As good as some of the Bad Idea books are, I prefer to have an ongoing set of titles.
I think he means better than Dinesh's VEI. Which is a big statement but if you've read Orc Island is hard to argue. Feels like Bad Idea is continuing the upward trend of quality VEI had from 2012-2017 or whenever Dinesh left.

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

syzhang28 wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:54:39 pm
Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:19:18 am Putting out better books than VEI isn’t a high bar. The advantage VEI has is it’s an ongoing coherent universe. As good as some of the Bad Idea books are, I prefer to have an ongoing set of titles.
I think he means better than Dinesh's VEI. Which is a big statement but if you've read Orc Island is hard to argue. Feels like Bad Idea is continuing the upward trend of quality VEI had from 2012-2017 or whenever Dinesh left.
I think saying Bad Idea is better than VDitti XO, Dysart Harby, Kindt Rai etc is a stretch. I’ve read 3 issues of Orc Island and it’s very good. Bad Idea 1 was a mixed bag though so let’s not go crazy!

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]
Valiant fan since: Yes
Favorite character: Yes
Favorite title: Yes
Favorite writer: Yes

Post by depluto »

What do you supposed DMG management does on a daily basis? Do they show up to work somewhere with a briefcase in hand?

TheFerg714

Post by TheFerg714 »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:44:35 pm I think saying Bad Idea is better than VDitti XO, Dysart Harby, Kindt Rai etc is a stretch. I’ve read 3 issues of Orc Island and it’s very good. Bad Idea 1 was a mixed bag though so let’s not go crazy!
Bad Idea definitely isn't "better" than VEI, but it's basically on par imo. It's unfortunate that Dinesh and co. don't have access to a big superhero universe anymore, but Bad Idea has turned out great so far. There's really only been one series that was a letdown for me (The Lot), and even that redeemed itself with a baller finale. Similarly, VEI published a dud every once in a while (Dead Drop, Roberts' A+A).

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

TheFerg714 wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:54:09 pm
Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:44:35 pm I think saying Bad Idea is better than VDitti XO, Dysart Harby, Kindt Rai etc is a stretch. I’ve read 3 issues of Orc Island and it’s very good. Bad Idea 1 was a mixed bag though so let’s not go crazy!
Bad Idea definitely isn't "better" than VEI, but it's basically on par imo. It's unfortunate that Dinesh and co. don't have access to a big superhero universe anymore, but Bad Idea has turned out great so far. There's really only been one series that was a letdown for me (The Lot), and even that redeemed itself with a baller finale. Similarly, VEI published a dud every once in a while (Dead Drop, Roberts' A+A).
They’ve had a few more duds than ‘The Lot’, the ‘Monster Kill Squad’ wasn’t very disappointing. What would you put on par with Dysart’s Harbinger, LADOTH etc run or Vditti’s XO run or Lemire’s Bloodshot?

markie7235

Post by markie7235 »

This isn't a criticism per se as we don't know at this point where things would have gone under Dinesh, but the problem with VEI was after essentially re-telling the original Valiant origin stories with some twists there needed to be more original works.

Harbinger Wars was good, I loved Divinity and Eternity. The Armor Hunters was also great with its long lasting real world consequences.

But VEI, kind of like the original Valiant went through the re-intros, built to a big event, and then was unclear where it wanted to go. Original Valiant suffered some of the same after Unity, though that could be blamed on the loss of Shooter.

Whatever happens with VEI, it needs to stop trying to find a new origin story angle for their characters as the next story arc. It's been done and re-done way too many times, especially with Bloodshot. I can't remember the series name, but.after the arc with Bloodshots daughter and Rampage(?), which I liked, I couldn't bring myself to pick up another Bloodshot reboot book.

Also disappointing to see VEIs issues have put book values in the toilet. Great time to buy on the cheap, but horrible time to sell. Not even worth the cost of grading anymore :(

TheFerg714

Post by TheFerg714 »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:36:15 amWhat would you put on par with Dysart’s Harbinger, LADOTH etc run or Vditti’s XO run or Lemire’s Bloodshot?
Well... you may have a point there... Although I will say that titles like ENIAC, Refuse x Last Resorts, and Odinn's Eye are top-tier, and would probably give the series you mentioned a run for their money, if they contained the same amount of issues.

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

TheFerg714 wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:15:30 pm
Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:36:15 amWhat would you put on par with Dysart’s Harbinger, LADOTH etc run or Vditti’s XO run or Lemire’s Bloodshot?
Well... you may have a point there... Although I will say that titles like ENIAC, Refuse x Last Resorts, and Odinn's Eye are top-tier, and would probably give the series you mentioned a run for their money, if they contained the same amount of issues.
Yes I’d probably agree. But I think that’s the drawback to the Bad Idea model of short stories v the ongoing universe.