Mass layoffs leave a skeleton crew at Valiant Entertainment

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

sonicdan
Nice art! (I used to own that.)
Nice art! (I used to own that.)
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Lewis LaRosa
Mass layoffs leave a skeleton crew at Valiant Entertainment

Post by sonicdan »

Not a lot of new info but some additional coverage of the present situation at Valiant.
https://www.thepopverse.com/valiant-ent ... -bloodshot
Sonicdan's Comics and Original Art: http://www.sonicdan.com
My eBay Store (Comics, Art, Collectibles) https://www.ebay.com/str/sonicdanscomicsart

magnus20009
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Re: Mass layoffs leave a skeleton crew at Valiant Entertainment

Post by magnus20009 »

It's been time to pull the plug for a while now.

Hopefully the IP will wind up with someone (Dino :poke: ) who will relaunch it and treat it properly as opposed to languishing unused.

IMJ
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O Manowar #1
Favorite character: VH1 Sting | VH2 Rai
Favorite title: VH2 Rai
Favorite writer: Kurt Busiek
Favorite artist: Sean Chen

Post by IMJ »

Looks like they are trying to trickle out another X-O book.... saw the solicit for it on DCBS tonight.
What volume has X-O as a run been swiss cheesed into now?

I think the last Valiant anything I bought was the X-O trade that one of the guy's here solicited to the board - the one with the sidebar branding down the book. Haven't even read that one yet.

Many of the Valiant I.P.'s are great and story worthy, but the truth is that it's very hard to organically capture the feeling of what that first year of Valiant was and was doing in the 90's. The launch of a new title back then was a big deal and the build up once Unity was announced was the best marketing on the planet at the time. Back then the whole Unity thing felt so special as if we were all waiting ten years for a culminating Avengers Endgame but on the scale of High School and comic books.

TheFerg714
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: July 2014
Favorite character: Archer
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp

Post by TheFerg714 »

IMJ wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 9:38:02 pm Looks like they are trying to trickle out another X-O book.... saw the solicit for it on DCBS tonight.
What volume has X-O as a run been swiss cheesed into now?
Actually, the new artist, Liam Sharp, is kind of world class. I genuinely can't believe Valiant can afford him.
I think the last Valiant anything I bought was the X-O trade that one of the guy's here solicited to the board - the one with the sidebar branding down the book. Haven't even read that one yet.
Sidebar branding? Any other hints?
Many of the Valiant I.P.'s are great and story worthy, but the truth is that it's very hard to organically capture the feeling of what that first year of Valiant was and was doing in the 90's. The launch of a new title back then was a big deal and the build up once Unity was announced was the best marketing on the planet at the time. Back then the whole Unity thing felt so special as if we were all waiting ten years for a culminating Avengers Endgame but on the scale of High School and comic books.
Honestly, VEI captured that feeling for several years, and one single year is nothing to write home about. Don't get me wrong, Pre-Unity is the real deal, but at the end of the day, it was just a year.

Dallow Spicer1
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

TheFerg714 wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 12:39:31 pm Actually, the new artist, Liam Sharp, is kind of world class. I genuinely can't believe Valiant can afford him.
The more I see Sharp’s art the more I agree! His Green Lantern stuff was incredibly detailed and he’s a genuine A lister.

My only concern for the new XO is the Cloonan/Conrad writing, I haven’t read their stuff personally but not heard good things from reviewers.

iggy101us
I bought my first comics at Kwik-E-Mart
I bought my first comics at Kwik-E-Mart

Post by iggy101us »

Haven't been on for a while. Look like I missed a lot . . . or maybe not much . . . still reading through the threads.