Comics are meant to be read, not entombed!

Discussion of all "slabbed comics" whether Valiant or not

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character
Re: Comics are meant to be read, not entombed!

Post by greg »

lorddunlow wrote:
greg wrote:Counterpoint to your counterpoint... If you own a comic, why would you crack open the slab on your second copy?
The creamy goodness in the center of a CGC 9.8 is the same as the creamy goodness in a raw copy that's 8.0.

Slab buyers who love comics aren't buying their first copy slabbed. They already own a copy to read... and re-read.
The slab is the time-capsule for "as close to the way it looked the day it was released as possible" for a book you already love.
So you have a non-slabbed AF 15 in addition to the two slabs?

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
Reprint, yes. https://www.amazon.com/Amazing-Fantasy- ... B003EW85SA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dr. Solar
Spanked like a 4 year old in K-Mart.
Spanked like a 4 year old in K-Mart.
Favorite character: Sven
Favorite title: Psi-Lords #2

Post by Dr. Solar »

greg wrote:
DirtbagSailor wrote:This. There is a lot of reality in this post that applies to a vast amount of life in general.

I won't go deep into it, but this concept affects our concepts of self-worth, relative net worth, perceived physical attraction, competitive athletic performance, and MUCH more.
Well, hello there, you sexy, sexy CGC 9.8 Harbinger #1. See anyone here who's man enough to take you home? What? Me? Well, OK, but I should tell you that your twin is already there.

:thumb:
I won't be able to look at my two Harby #1 9.8s in quite the same way after that.

agent_graves
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Valiant fan since: Since VEI(Turok #1?)
Favorite character: Divinity/Shadowman/LiveWire
Favorite title: Divinity/Imperium/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Dysart
Favorite artist: Mann/Cafu/De la Torre

Post by agent_graves »

Great Thread!.. Comics are meant to be read, and entombed! :P

I feel like all opinions are welcomed and valid, as long as your being respectful. But how someone chooses to spend their hard earned money on their hobby, is their business, now....

Me, personally, I love variants. I pick my favorite cover (A, B, C, or D) and that's my reader copy, which I still bag and board, lol. Then, I go for the incentive (1:10, 1:20, 1:50, 1:100 etc) variants that I like, which never come out the bag and board that it comes in, unless it's not a "current" bag and board, or if the flaps are damaged....

When it comes to my favorite Valiant characters, I really OD. Divinity, Bloodshot, Ninjak, Shadowman. Whenever they have a new #1, I try to snatch up every cover I can, that I like of course, I won't buy it if I don't like the art on the cover, it just depends...

Valiant Gold books, I buy them all (still missing a few, but..) regardless if I plan to actually follow the series (A&A, Q+W, Faith) or not...

And slabs, well, I haven't started yet. But I'm quietly working on that X-O 1:500, that'll be my first submission to CGC, (not counting that GI Joe #21 that came back 9.0 about 16 years ago facepalm) but it definitely won't be my last. I have a whole list of key issues from 90's Valiant, and VEI that I want in 9.8, so let the fun begin...

I Love my hobby. :cloud9: Buy what you want, read what you want. Enjoy Life!! :thumb:
#StayValiant

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

greg wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:
greg wrote:Counterpoint to your counterpoint... If you own a comic, why would you crack open the slab on your second copy?
The creamy goodness in the center of a CGC 9.8 is the same as the creamy goodness in a raw copy that's 8.0.

Slab buyers who love comics aren't buying their first copy slabbed. They already own a copy to read... and re-read.
The slab is the time-capsule for "as close to the way it looked the day it was released as possible" for a book you already love.

Reprint, yes. https://www.amazon.com/Amazing-Fantasy- ... B003EW85SA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
See, in my opinion it doesn't count. I Ike to experience the same comic that may have been read by a fan the day an important event like the first appearance of Spider-Man was first released. It's like participating in the history of the character. It's the same paper, same ink, etc. A reprint is the same as reading digitally (which is my preferred way to read), but when I'm collecting, I want a first print that I can leaf through the pages and become part of that history. A slab does not allow that connection for me.

I'm not knocking anyone who wants to entomb their books, but that's what it is. Entombing. It is put in suspended animation waiting for someone like me to crack it open and enjoy it fully.

*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

GGSAE
Getting that sauce across the border ain't easy.
Getting that sauce across the border ain't easy.

Post by GGSAE »

Dr. Solar wrote:
greg wrote:
DirtbagSailor wrote:This. There is a lot of reality in this post that applies to a vast amount of life in general.

I won't go deep into it, but this concept affects our concepts of self-worth, relative net worth, perceived physical attraction, competitive athletic performance, and MUCH more.
Well, hello there, you sexy, sexy CGC 9.8 Harbinger #1. See anyone here who's man enough to take you home? What? Me? Well, OK, but I should tell you that your twin is already there.

:thumb:
I won't be able to look at my two Harby #1 9.8s in quite the same way after that.
I know...Greg if you said this to a comic, with a straight face and creepy matter-of-fact speaking, and within earshot of a dealer at a con it would be priceless! Then pick up the book, pay the guy with a straight face and walk away...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

greg
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

lorddunlow wrote:
greg wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:

See, in my opinion it doesn't count. I Ike to experience the same comic that may have been read by a fan the day an important event like the first appearance of Spider-Man was first released. It's like participating in the history of the character. It's the same paper, same ink, etc. A reprint is the same as reading digitally (which is my preferred way to read), but when I'm collecting, I want a first print that I can leaf through the pages and become part of that history. A slab does not allow that connection for me.

I'm not knocking anyone who wants to entomb their books, but that's what it is. Entombing. It is put in suspended animation waiting for someone like me to crack it open and enjoy it fully.

I guess we have different definitions of "enjoy it fully". An original Amazing Fantasy #15 in pretty much any condition is a four-or-five figure book.
Deslabbing a book at that price makes it less "salable when I'm dead" which is the plan for all my "big big" comics, and causing that problem for my family isn't part of my plan.

So, apart from removing hundreds (or thousands) of dollars from the value of an Amazing Fantasy #15, I guess I might be curious what "five figure paper" feels and smells like 55 years later.
However, I have multiple "non-slabbed" three-figure copies of Amazing Adult Fantasy #14 that I can get up close and personal with, if necessary, to get a sense of the paper, ink, history...
and there are other Marvel comics from August 1962 printed on the same paper with the same ink as #15 that I could buy for $5.

Deslabbing a major key seems like a weird thing to want to do, but some guys might kick an original Ferrari into gulleys behind their glass garage. You and Cameron should do what feels right. :P

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

greg wrote:
Deslabbing a major key seems like a weird thing to want to do, but some guys might kick an original Ferrari into gulleys behind their glass garage. You and Cameron should do what feels right. :P
Hell yeah!

*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

Aram
I'm just glad it was pretty good, long and drawn out. (that's what she said.)
I'm just glad it was pretty good, long and drawn out. (that's what she said.)
Valiant fan since: Unity
Favorite character: Tie between Flo and Andy
Favorite title: Archer and Armstrong
Favorite writer: The ones that wrote 4 Valiant.

Post by Aram »

magnusr wrote:Agree with this thread. Comics can be enjoyed many ways (just that seing the title I first thought about the music group).
greg wrote:Comics are meant to be read!
Easy enough to rebuke. If that was true then there's no need to print them. Just read them through Comixology.

/Magnus
Can't get vh1 gk3 on comixology. :kidaround: :angel: :poke:
It's not that I don't have an avatar... I've just been working on it for the last few hundred years.