Will CGC regrade if they reholder

Discussion of all "slabbed comics" whether Valiant or not

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Exquisimagic
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Rai
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Campbell
Will CGC regrade if they reholder

Post by Exquisimagic »

Does anyone know if I send a cracked CGC 9.8 SS with the crack behind the label not on the actual book has a possibility they would regrade it? It's kinda of rare and I don't really want to take a chance of a regrade but don't want the crack to spread to the comic. :?

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.
Re: Will CGC regrade if they reholder

Post by nycjadie »

I have heard only 2nd hand, but yes, they do change grades from time to time. The slab doesn't protect against water, smoke or fading.

Exquisimagic
Favorite title: Rai
Favorite artist: Campbell

Post by Exquisimagic »

nycjadie wrote:I have heard only 2nd hand, but yes, they do change grades from time to time. The slab doesn't protect against water, smoke or fading.
That scares me, i would be like :!:

IMJ
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O Manowar #1
Favorite character: VH1 Sting | VH2 Rai
Favorite title: VH2 Rai
Favorite writer: Kurt Busiek
Favorite artist: Sean Chen

Post by IMJ »

Exquisimagic wrote:
nycjadie wrote:I have heard only 2nd hand, but yes, they do change grades from time to time. The slab doesn't protect against water, smoke or fading.
That scares me, i would be like :!:
I went through this last year with a TOS #39 that was nearly a complete disaster. I had it re-holdered because I felt my 4.0 was a great pressing candidate. CGC claimed they pressed it (I found NO difference in the return) and it came back a 3.5 which is a huge hit on a book like T.O.S #39.

I got it remedied by discussing the serial numbers with CGC, and then having a few CGC graders look over the book again for consensus. But it just goes to show you that even professional grading is in effect, a ballpark estimate. Sometimes, ironically, I think it's more accurate to stick with the old nomenclature "F, VF, etc..." rather than numbers which may be more precise, but are also more debatable.

Consider this - I spoke with a dealer once about a Superman Annual that I had graded at a 9.6. This dealer is a big convention CGC guy, and I believed that the Annual had a legit shot at landing a 9.8. He said to me "well crack it out of the case gently and resubmit it until you get the grades you want...".

"Get the grades I want".

Think about those words. I probably own, right at this moment, Iron Man 9.8 slabs that could be submitted again and come back as a 9.6, but then return a third time in a 9.8 label again (I'm making a point here, so no "excess handling can diminish a grade" commentary applies).

nycjadie
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

I agree that in the upper grades, they can get very subjective. That being said, I'm also astonished at how consistent the grading companies really are. I've noticed slight changes over time, but the changes seem to be pretty consistent across the board. Do I submit things that I'm certain are 9.8, only to get 9.6? Absolutely. I also get them the other way as well.

I've graded 40+ Eternal Warrior 4 9.8s. Each time I get one, I've compared all of these to my best copy, and I still see minor differences in all of them. My preferred 9.8 I think is superior to all the 40+ other copies I've owned. However, the differences are so minor.

I've had a ton of the death of superman issues graded at 9.8 over the years. These are money books I use to pay for collections I buy. Like with EW4, I've chosen the best copies to set aside of each book. Again, I've found extremely minor differences in the 9.8s, but they are all pretty consistent.

That being said, I've had some 9.6s that I just cannot fathom. I mean, some of these look beyond reproach. I've also had a few books with a clear spine split come in at 9.8. I can't believe those either, but perhaps there are things I don't know about, like interior defects that I can no longer see now that they've been entombed.

kjjohanson
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1
Favorite character: Anon-Lurker
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente

Post by kjjohanson »

nycjadie wrote:I agree that in the upper grades, they can get very subjective. That being said, I'm also astonished at how consistent the grading companies really are. I've noticed slight changes over time, but the changes seem to be pretty consistent across the board. Do I submit things that I'm certain are 9.8, only to get 9.6? Absolutely. I also get them the other way as well.

I've graded 40+ Eternal Warrior 4 9.8s. Each time I get one, I've compared all of these to my best copy, and I still see minor differences in all of them. My preferred 9.8 I think is superior to all the 40+ other copies I've owned. However, the differences are so minor.

I've had a ton of the death of superman issues graded at 9.8 over the years. These are money books I use to pay for collections I buy. Like with EW4, I've chosen the best copies to set aside of each book. Again, I've found extremely minor differences in the 9.8s, but they are all pretty consistent.

That being said, I've had some 9.6s that I just cannot fathom. I mean, some of these look beyond reproach. I've also had a few books with a clear spine split come in at 9.8. I can't believe those either, but perhaps there are things I don't know about, like interior defects that I can no longer see now that they've been entombed.
I submitted an absolutely pristine New X-men 128 with my first submission. I could see absolutely nothing wrong with it at all, and it came back a 9.8. (I didn't necessarily expect higher, but I thought it had a real shot.) I've also had books that I figured were 9.6s come back 9.8.
If you're not a *SQUEE*, you're okay with me.

chadpdodge
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
Valiant fan since: Valiant 2014/Acclaim 1999
Favorite character: Ninjak/Shadowman
Favorite title: Ninjak
Favorite writer: Cullen Bunn
Favorite artist: Ben Templesmith/Joseph Schmalk

Post by chadpdodge »

I also know that the grading standards do change. Says reholder an old CGC slab to a newer version grades can change. I read it on their site a while back.

Aport
My posts can all fit in a short box
Valiant fan since: 1995
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Bob Layton
Favorite artist: Bob Layton

Post by Aport »

Basically, cgc will never say they won’t regrade a book. In other words, to protect themselves, if they are in possession of a slab they have the right and can regrade any slab. So, if you send it in for a service that doesn’t require grading like; cracked case, or even something they made a mistake on, like a spelling error on the label they may regrade it.

If your sending it in for something new like adding a signature, they will definitely regrade it.

So, if you hand it back to them, you never know what you will get back, grade wise. That’s why they make you sign the invoice form. It’s all in the fine print.

GGSAE
Getting that sauce across the border ain't easy.
Getting that sauce across the border ain't easy.

Post by GGSAE »

Groan. I have an Xmen 1 CGC purple/yellow label 3.0 that has a crack and needs a new slab...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Funcha
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Bob Layton
Favorite artist: Barry Windsor Smith

Post by Funcha »

What I'm curious to know is if you just want to get a graded comic reholdered in the new case and the current case is just fine would they regrade when cracking out? I've got some key issues I'd love to get in the new holders but not worth the risk of a bump down if someone suddenly decides to regrade the comic for *SQUEE* and giggles.