Any $50-100 slabs you’d suggest investing in right now?

Discussion of all "slabbed comics" whether Valiant or not

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

StarBrand
loosely based on a true story

Post by StarBrand »

Valiant is the son of the New Universe.

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character
Re: Any $50-100 slabs you’d suggest investing in right now?

Post by greg »

I don't see how books like this one could ever be a bad idea: https://www.ebay.com/itm/332755592491" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

CGC 4.0 Dr. Solar, Man of the Atom #1 (1962), $83 shipped

markie7235
My posts can all fit in a short box

Post by markie7235 »

Others may disagree, but I still think picking up a VH1 Shadowman #8 9.8 for around $60-$80 is a wise pick up. I really do believe if and when a Shadowman movie materializes, Darque's 1st appearance will have legs. Look at EW#4, and it also had a fairly large print run. I've also heard with the darker cover, this is one given time that 9.8's could be less common. It's a pretty key book that can be had at a fairly reasonable cost, especially when you consider obtaining an ungraded NM+ could run you $5-$10 plus $30 for grading...For only $20-$30 more, you could just eliminate chance and just buy a 9.8 copy.

I also think of it along the lines that if a Valiant media universe actually kicks off with movies, right now, Darque is probably the only villain in Valiant (aside from Harada) that actually works for a massive team up movie (similar to the Avengers) to pit a unified cast of characters against.

Lot of people talk about Harbinger 10 (1st HARD Corps) and Harbinger 15 (1st VH1 Livewire), but I just see Darque as being a much more key character and SM #8 I believe had a lower print than either of these....Then again, I also consider VEI Livewire as first appearing in Harbinger Vol 2 #3 since she is so different from the VH1 Livewire

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

markie7235 wrote:Others may disagree, but I still think picking up a VH1 Shadowman #8 9.8 for around $60-$80 is a wise pick up. I really do believe if and when a Shadowman movie materializes, Darque's 1st appearance will have legs. Look at EW#4, and it also had a fairly large print run. I've also heard with the darker cover, this is one given time that 9.8's could be less common. It's a pretty key book that can be had at a fairly reasonable cost, especially when you consider obtaining an ungraded NM+ could run you $5-$10 plus $30 for grading...For only $20-$30 more, you could just eliminate chance and just buy a 9.8 copy.

I also think of it along the lines that if a Valiant media universe actually kicks off with movies, right now, Darque is probably the only villain in Valiant (aside from Harada) that actually works for a massive team up movie (similar to the Avengers) to pit a unified cast of characters against.

Lot of people talk about Harbinger 10 (1st HARD Corps) and Harbinger 15 (1st VH1 Livewire), but I just see Darque as being a much more key character and SM #8 I believe had a lower print than either of these....Then again, I also consider VEI Livewire as first appearing in Harbinger Vol 2 #3 since she is so different from the VH1 Livewire
I can dig it...!!!
Valiant is the son of the New Universe.

apacseller
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: Harbinger #1
Favorite character: Magnus
Favorite title: Warriors of Plasm

Post by apacseller »

I think this would be a long term play, with high risk/reward, but I think the Magnus 0 (Mail Away) versions have some long term legs. There are less than 200 of them in 9.6 or 9.8, and it sports an iconic cover that screams 90s Valiant. I also would suspect that a lot of the gradeable copies have been taken out of the current supply as this was a hot book ten years, so it's not like there are thousands sitting in a box somewhere looking to get graded.

Once again, this prospect is based on Valiant becoming more mainstream. I like it as a long term spec, and they are pretty cheap right now.

I also think Magnus could lend himself to a potential movie someday (this is the loftiest scenario, btw), as the tension between man and robot could be interesting to modern audiences.

markie7235

Post by markie7235 »

StarBrand wrote:
markie7235 wrote:Others may disagree, but I still think picking up a VH1 Shadowman #8 9.8 for around $60-$80 is a wise pick up. I really do believe if and when a Shadowman movie materializes, Darque's 1st appearance will have legs. Look at EW#4, and it also had a fairly large print run. I've also heard with the darker cover, this is one given time that 9.8's could be less common. It's a pretty key book that can be had at a fairly reasonable cost, especially when you consider obtaining an ungraded NM+ could run you $5-$10 plus $30 for grading...For only $20-$30 more, you could just eliminate chance and just buy a 9.8 copy.

I can dig it...!!!
Lol, course using the same argument I made for SM#8, I could also see picking up Harbinger #10 and Harbinger #15 in 9.8. I know #10 has been moving upwards, and seems like finding a 9.8 candidate is not as easy as you'd think. I probably have picked up 7 or 8 copies of this book, but have sent any off for grading as all of them seems to have small issues that would drop them into the 9.2-9.6 range instead. I've also become wary of this book on eBay with people claiming condition is in NM...If I buy another one, it will be an already graded 9.8....Currently those don't show up very often though, and I want to say they have been pushing $100