You gotta have Faith!
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Divinity
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Adam Gorham
CGC White "THE FUTURE OF VALIANT" Custom Label

Post by Juki »

What do y’all think about the white "THE FUTURE OF VALIANT" Custom CGC Labels?

It costs an extra $5 bucks to get when submitting and I thought that I read that the labels were going to be limited to a number of 500 case applications when they first came out 2 or 3 years ago. Like a “limited edition” kind of thing although I can’t find any current info. However, it seems like either they have not reached the 500 limit.... or there isn’t really a limit (and I am mistaken) as new submissions seem to be still getting the white label at times.

I personally have 3 of them. 2 are on VEI books which I think look nice. However, the 3rd white label I have is on a VH1 book (Solar #10 CGC 9.6) that I bought off EBay which is kind of weird. The reason I say that is because the label has VEI characters....while the book itself contains VH1 characters. I didn’t think much about it during the purchase....but I would not have selected a white label for a VH1 book if I had submitted myself. Does this scenario bother anyone else?

If these labels are truly limited and run out.... do you think they will be more desirable and command a premium down the line?

I was also wondering if a book with a white label is “reholdered” after CGC has stopped allowing new white label submissions.... will it retain the white label status? In other words, will they print a new white label to replace the old one? And if so, is it an additional charge a second time? :hm:

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.
Re: CGC White "THE FUTURE OF VALIANT" Custom Label

Post by nycjadie »

It was initially supposed to be limited, which is why I slabbed a ton of them in the beginning. They lied, scrubbed the references online, and now it’s unlimited. Sometimes I regret having them as they look so inconsistent in my large collection, but they are fun and I have them for books that cam out around that time, which is kind of fun.

Juki
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by Juki »

Haha.... I guess that is why I can’t find any information about them being limited. I was starting to believe that I actually didn’t read that they were going to be limited to 500. I hate when companies do this.

Aport
My posts can all fit in a short box
Valiant fan since: 1995
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Bob Layton
Favorite artist: Bob Layton

Post by Aport »

No X-O.... pass, lol.

nonplayer
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: back in the day xo#9
Favorite character: Momo, xo turok
Favorite title: Wrath of the eternal warrior
Favorite writer: Joshua dysart
Favorite artist: Robert Gill

Post by nonplayer »

So these arnt limited any more?
I Miss the good old days.

Juki
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by Juki »

nonplayer wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 10:10:48 am So these arnt limited any more?
Well...it has been 3-4 years since they came out with the white label. If they were limited the labels, it would seem,would have run out and ended a long time ago. It seems that they reneged and are doing it “unlimited.”

TheeBaldMoose
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

I actually enjoy them, think they look sharp. I know that they can't be used on Signature Series (wish that label was yellow, like regular sig series), but vs the blue, I think they look really sharp, and catch the eye.
Moose

agent_graves
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Valiant fan since: Since VEI(Turok #1?)
Favorite character: Divinity/Shadowman/LiveWire
Favorite title: Divinity/Imperium/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Dysart
Favorite artist: Mann/Cafu/De la Torre

Post by agent_graves »

They were supposed to be limited at first, which was cool, but I love em, so I’m glad that they’re still available.
#StayValiant

Nameless7
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: Eternal Warrior

Post by Nameless7 »

Juki wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 10:16:34 pm It costs an extra $5 bucks to get when submitting and I thought that I read that the labels were going to be limited to a number of 500 case applications when they first came out 2 or 3 years ago. Like a “limited edition” kind of thing although I can’t find any current info. However, it seems like either they have not reached the 500 limit.... or there isn’t really a limit (and I am mistaken) as new submissions seem to be still getting the white label at times.
What do you mean "at times"?? So does that not mean that you cannot get the label for every submission to make of a valiant comic? I am not sure I understand.

Juki
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by Juki »

Nameless7 wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:41:06 am
Juki wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 10:16:34 pm It costs an extra $5 bucks to get when submitting and I thought that I read that the labels were going to be limited to a number of 500 case applications when they first came out 2 or 3 years ago. Like a “limited edition” kind of thing although I can’t find any current info. However, it seems like either they have not reached the 500 limit.... or there isn’t really a limit (and I am mistaken) as new submissions seem to be still getting the white label at times.
What do you mean "at times"?? So does that not mean that you cannot get the label for every submission to make of a valiant comic? I am not sure I understand.
There isn’t any limit to the custom Valiant “white labels.” So, if you pay the extra $5.00 per submission you can get them on all your Valiant comic books. Apparently GCG advertised that these labels were going to be limited to 500. But, then changed their stance and have allowed them to be “limitless.” I suppose CGC could “ close” the window on this label in the future if they choose to do so.

Nameless7
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: Eternal Warrior

Post by Nameless7 »

Juki wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:57:01 pm
There isn’t any limit to the custom Valiant “white labels.” So, if you pay the extra $5.00 per submission you can get them on all your Valiant comic books. Apparently GCG advertised that these labels were going to be limited to 500. But, then changed their stance and have allowed them to be “limitless.” I suppose CGC could “ close” the window on this label in the future if they choose to do so.
so as I was getting ready for my first ever submissions to CGC, I was unable to see where the white label option should be. I decided to call the customer care number and they informed me that the Valiant label was no longer available. The rep said even if the option were to show up on "some of the submissions" that I would not get the valiant label. They receive notification of this sometime late July this year.

TheeBaldMoose
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

Nameless7 wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:24:14 pm
so as I was getting ready for my first ever submissions to CGC, I was unable to see where the white label option should be. I decided to call the customer care number and they informed me that the Valiant label was no longer available. The rep said even if the option were to show up on "some of the submissions" that I would not get the valiant label. They receive notification of this sometime late July this year.
I too just completed a group for CGC, and they weren't available. Saddened some, but oh well. Maybe they have something different up their sleeves? Probably not, but one can wish
Moose

geocarr
Those responsible for those remarks have been sacked.
Those responsible for those remarks have been sacked.
Favorite character: Vincent the Goat!
Favorite title: All of them!

Post by geocarr »

Seems kinda weird and somewhat bad business for a company that has already reneged on its original "limited" claim to then stop selling something as simple as a printed label that customers are still asking for and that is profitable to the company. I don't understand businesses sometimes.
***Support your local farmers!***

Juki
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by Juki »

TheeBaldMoose wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:34:24 am
I too just completed a group for CGC, and they weren't available. Saddened some, but oh well. Maybe they have something different up their sleeves? Probably not, but one can wish
So... if the white labels are “closed.” Does anyone know what would happen to “existing white labels” if you:
1) got comic pressed and regraded?
2) just got “reholdered” ?
Should CGC print you a “new white label” in the above cases when reslabbing to replace the previous white label?

nycjadie

Post by nycjadie »

I’m guessing that further relabeling would not be possible.

I wasn’t happy with the fact they reneged on the limited part, as I ordered a bunch at the beginning. At $5 a pop, they aren’t cheap.

I then liked the fact that they were available all the time, and just changed when I ordered (ie key books only).

Now I’m back to being disappointed that they are gone as I do not recall being given notice. I would have immediately requested several batches of books that I just haven’t gotten around to ordering (for various reasons).

Ordering them has always been confusing until most recently when they updated their website.

It has kind of been a *SQUEE* show from the start.

Juki
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by Juki »

nycjadie wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:24:43 am I’m guessing that further relabeling would not be possible.

I wasn’t happy with the fact they reneged on the limited part, as I ordered a bunch at the beginning. At $5 a pop, they aren’t cheap.

I then liked the fact that they were available all the time, and just changed when I ordered (ie key books only).

Now I’m back to being disappointed that they are gone as I do not recall being given notice. I would have immediately requested several batches of books that I just haven’t gotten around to ordering (for various reasons).

Ordering them has always been confusing until most recently when they updated their website.

Doesn’t CGC recommend that you change the CGC case on your comics about every 5 years? That seems like an expensive proposition.... and I don’t think that most people change CGC cases unless they are cracked or want the latest case.... but, if CGC expects you to change the case after a certain time frame it seems as though most of the custom “white labels” would disappear over time if CGC does not interchange when reslabbed/reholdered. Any thoughts or insights?

Juki
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by Juki »

Juki wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:56:03 pm
nycjadie wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:24:43 am I’m guessing that further relabeling would not be possible.

Doesn’t CGC recommend that you change the CGC case on your comics about every 5 years? That seems like an expensive proposition.... and I don’t think that most people change CGC cases unless they are cracked or want the latest case.... but, if CGC expects you to change the case after a certain time frame it seems as though most of the custom “white labels” would disappear over time if CGC does not interchange when reslabbed/reholdered. Any thoughts or insights?
I’m still wondering about reslabbing/reholdering and trying to keep the “custom Valiant white label.” Is that possible?... or do you lose the white label?

IMJ
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O Manowar #1
Favorite character: VH1 Sting | VH2 Rai
Favorite title: VH2 Rai
Favorite writer: Kurt Busiek
Favorite artist: Sean Chen

Post by IMJ »

I think the custom labeling systems are great for CGC business and terrible for the hobby at large. The short of this is that people need to remember that they are buying the book, but the CGC brand has surpassed this by special labels and slab updates over time. I have nothing against the slab updates - that kind of thing should happen, but the collecting community holds a lot of people that succumb to addiction judgement in this hobby.

I had a negotiation for a book going with a guy who's price justification was that he could have it re-slabbed with a new label and ask for more (or something like that). I don't know what was more frustrating about that - the fact that it's completely analytical B.S. because that doesn't change the book you are buying at all, or the fact that to some extent he was right - because that's how poorly some people judge these transactions.

Now of course, an argument can be made about CGC well quality changes, or grading harshness adaptations over the years, but in the end none of that matters because you are supposed to be buying the book. How about back in the day when CGC went on about Microchamber paper to keep contaminants siphoned from the paper? But now you have a book cracked and re-slabbed and you get a grade drop because a grader will state outright that the paper quality went down "since they last graded it"? Or another argument can be made about label data - it drives me nuts when I have a book with some 1sts or noteworthy thing and CGC doesn't do their diligence and you get an empty label. Yet in the same breath they'll pimp a label with a picture of Iron Man on it as added value. Picture of Iron Man or accurate content data?

You are buying the book, not the label or the slab. Or are you? It's actually ridiculous. I stay away from pimp labels as much as I can. If I have a choice on the aftermarket I'll take the standard label over the pimp label because I hate that stuff so much.

Juki
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by Juki »

IMJ wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:55:49 pm I think the custom labeling systems are great for CGC business and terrible for the hobby at large. The short of this is that people need to remember that they are buying the book, but the CGC brand has surpassed this by special labels and slab updates over time. I have nothing against the slab updates - that kind of thing should happen, but the collecting community holds a lot of people that succumb to addiction judgement in this hobby.

I had a negotiation for a book going with a guy who's price justification was that he could have it re-slabbed with a new label and ask for more (or something like that). I don't know what was more frustrating about that - the fact that it's completely analytical B.S. because that doesn't change the book you are buying at all, or the fact that to some extent he was right - because that's how poorly some people judge these transactions.

Now of course, an argument can be made about CGC well quality changes, or grading harshness adaptations over the years, but in the end none of that matters because you are supposed to be buying the book. How about back in the day when CGC went on about Microchamber paper to keep contaminants siphoned from the paper? But now you have a book cracked and re-slabbed and you get a grade drop because a grader will state outright that the paper quality went down "since they last graded it"? Or another argument can be made about label data - it drives me nuts when I have a book with some 1sts or noteworthy thing and CGC doesn't do their diligence and you get an empty label. Yet in the same breath they'll pimp a label with a picture of Iron Man on it as added value. Picture of Iron Man or accurate content data?

You are buying the book, not the label or the slab. Or are you? It's actually ridiculous. I stay away from pimp labels as much as I can. If I have a choice on the aftermarket I'll take the standard label over the pimp label because I hate that stuff so much.
IMJ,
You make some interesting points about how collector’s value CGC comics. For Valiant, I don’t really consider paying a premium for a CGC comic that has a custom white Valiant label. It is more of a novelty. But, I am happy that I have a couple of white labels since CGC is not placing them anymore. If just seems fruitless if CGC doesn’t replace (by having the capability to reprint) them when reslabbed. Because, eventually, most comics of high value will at least have the case changed.
Last edited by Juki on Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:22:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Juki
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by Juki »

double post

nycjadie

Post by nycjadie »

It's a total novelty, which by having it limited was having a more rare perceived value, and then they changed course. It was all very confusing, and now I'm left with labels that I wish I hadn't paid extra for. It was all a very confusing and unsatisfying customer experience.

IMJ

Post by IMJ »

nycjadie wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:08:29 pm It's a total novelty, which by having it limited was having a more rare perceived value, and then they changed course. It was all very confusing, and now I'm left with labels that I wish I hadn't paid extra for. It was all a very confusing and unsatisfying customer experience.
See? This exactly.
Don't get me wrong nycjadie, I'm not glad that you have that disappointment and the costs, but yeah there you go. Pimp labels are just not worth it for so many reasons. Just don't support them and weed them out of the future market.
nycjadie wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:08:29 pmIt's a total novelty, which by having it limited was having a more rare perceived value
nycjadie wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:08:29 pmIt's a total novelty,

Ramses818
Valiant fan since: X-O Manowar 14
Favorite title: X-o but maybe soon to be Rai
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Ramses818 »

I have to say that I loved the specialty labels...not everyone but definitely Valiants. I only have a couple hundred Cgc books so I don’t worry about them all looking the same, and in the meantime it makes them stand out.

IMJ

Post by IMJ »

Ramses818 wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:12:23 pm I have to say that I loved the specialty labels...not everyone but definitely Valiants. I only have a couple hundred Cgc books so I don’t worry about them all looking the same, and in the meantime it makes them stand out.
Oh man if the label variation drove someone nuts... hahahah OMG. Better not look at my collection - labels from early CGC all the way up into this year's large label. :lol: To have the label variation bother you? LOL Whoever that collector is, is in deep *SQUEE* with his emotions! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Juki
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by Juki »

I don’t understand CGC and their handling of the CGC CUSTOM VALIANT WHITE LABELS. Here is my history and accounting of CGC and the WHITE VALIANT CUSTOM LABELS:

1) When they were first introduced they were advertised in 2016 as being “strictly limited to the first 500 labels.” That means (to me) that only 500 will ever be made.
2) Then CGC unexpectedly produced them for 4 years in an “unlimited” fashion (well exceeding 500 labels). That means (to me) that they are not limited in any fashion and are now considered “open-ended until closed.”
3) In 2020 CGC, without warning, stopped allowing White Labels as an option which insinuated that they would NO LONGER be available. That means (to me) that they are closed out and no longer available… as in never-EVER.
4) There currently are 4 Ninjak #1 Variant comics (07/2021) with CUSTOM VALIANT WHITE LABELS for sale on eBay. THESE COMICS WERE RECENTLY SLABBED HAVING CUSTOM LABELS. What the heck? This mean (to me) :? . I don’t know what to think. What does this mean?
5) Are the WHITE LABELS back again? If so, for how long? And….Why did they stop in 2020?
Last edited by Juki on Sat Feb 26, 2022 9:59:14 am, edited 7 times in total.