Anybody experiencing slow shipping from CGC?

Discussion of all "slabbed comics" whether Valiant or not

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

nutflush76
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Rai
Favorite writer: Robert Venditti
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain
Anybody experiencing slow shipping from CGC?

Post by nutflush76 »

CGC mailed out my books on September 11th. Tomorrow will be 4 weeks since they were shipped and I have not received them. The USPS website only says that the package left their sorting facility in Sarasota on the 11th.

Getting kinda worried that my books are lost. CGC only can tell me what the post office tells them. I buy and sell on ebay all the time and this will be my first package lost in the mail and it was sent registered mail!

Ugh. Mostly just venting, but I was wondering if anyone else has experienced a slowdown?

SJS4
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Re: Anybody experiencing slow shipping from CGC?

Post by SJS4 »

nutflush76 wrote:CGC mailed out my books on September 11th. Tomorrow will be 4 weeks since they were shipped and I have not received them. The USPS website only says that the package left their sorting facility in Sarasota on the 11th.

Getting kinda worried that my books are lost. CGC only can tell me what the post office tells them. I buy and sell on ebay all the time and this will be my first package lost in the mail and it was sent registered mail!

Ugh. Mostly just venting, but I was wondering if anyone else has experienced a slowdown?
4 weeks definitely sounds like it might be a lost package...I can't imagine anything taking four weeks to ship. When we order an entire container of materials from Europe, shipped by boat, it usually takes less then 4 weeks to arrive at our warehouse.
Kurt Busiek wrote: Bull$#!t

nutflush76
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

Post by nutflush76 »

Yeah I am thinking the same. Unfortunately the post office won't even look at it until after four weeks. So I am calling them tomorrow if its not here by the time the mail gets here.

Shoot, some people ride across the country on their bicycles in less than four weeks! :!:

ckb
Psssst. Hey buddy, need another CGC fix?

Post by ckb »

CGC uses registered mail, and it is very unlikely for a registered mail package to be lost. Registered mail also moves more slowly through the mail system and there are not tracking updates on it until it is delivered. 30 days is cause for concern, though. I would be on the phone with the USPS day 31.

nutflush76
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

Post by nutflush76 »

ckb wrote:CGC uses registered mail, and it is very unlikely for a registered mail package to be lost. Registered mail also moves more slowly through the mail system and there are not tracking updates on it until it is delivered. 30 days is cause for concern, though. I would be on the phone with the USPS day 31.
Yeah I am calling them first thing in the morning. I have used CGC in the past and I know the registered mail is slow. The post office really irritates me though. Registered mail is one their most expensive ways of shipping and they can't bother to update the tracking like they do for $3.00 packages I send via first class mail?

I wonder if they reimburse you for the declared value, or what the graded value is?

I guess I will find out tomorrow.

drmirage
WOW! OMG BBQ! Thats crazy!
Valiant fan since: 1990
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: BWS

Post by drmirage »

Like what CKB said. Registered mail is the safest way to ship with USPS. The packages do ship slower with Registered Mail.

Just about a month ago I sent a Priority Mail Package to Guam. It took nearly 3 weeks, but the package did arrive. Sometimes, thats just how it works with the Post Office.

If you contact Consumer Affairs, they will start an investigation by day 31.

ckb

Post by ckb »

nutflush76 wrote:
ckb wrote:CGC uses registered mail, and it is very unlikely for a registered mail package to be lost. Registered mail also moves more slowly through the mail system and there are not tracking updates on it until it is delivered. 30 days is cause for concern, though. I would be on the phone with the USPS day 31.
Yeah I am calling them first thing in the morning. I have used CGC in the past and I know the registered mail is slow. The post office really irritates me though. Registered mail is one their most expensive ways of shipping and they can't bother to update the tracking like they do for $3.00 packages I send via first class mail?

I wonder if they reimburse you for the declared value, or what the graded value is?

It's escaping me at the moment but there is a good reason they do not publish the tracking until it is delivered. They have it, you just can't see it.

Your question about insurance is a good one and one that crossed my mind the other night. CGC insures the return package for whatever you tell them to on the CGC sub form. I have been using the value *before* grading on these forms - if a package is lost this could be a wholly insufficient amount. I think we should be using the value after grading at the grade we expect to get. Something to think about.

Ricomortis
lookin pu nub in all da wong pwaces
lookin pu nub in all da wong pwaces
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Shadowman - Harada
Favorite title: Imperium
Favorite writer: Dysart & Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Larosa, Henry & CAFU

Post by Ricomortis »

ckb wrote:
nutflush76 wrote:

It's escaping me at the moment but there is a good reason they do not publish the tracking until it is delivered. They have it, you just can't see it.

Your question about insurance is a good one and one that crossed my mind the other night. CGC insures the return package for whatever you tell them to on the CGC sub form. I have been using the value *before* grading on these forms - if a package is lost this could be a wholly insufficient amount. I think we should be using the value after grading at the grade we expect to get. Something to think about.
Yea... I have always used the value of what I "thought" it would be graded at for insurance purposes when sending to CGC. I come by it honestly... I thought that was what you were supposed to do. :lol:

Check out my Gallery for this year: A year in the life of Ricomortis (2018) http://www.valiantfans.com/forum/viewto ... 35&t=50927" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Check out my Gallery for last year: "A year in the life of Ricomortis (2017)" http://www.valiantfans.com/forum/viewto ... 6#p1056798" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

drmirage

Post by drmirage »

Can you tell us how many books this package contains. Is it just a book at at least 20 books. Larger packages do not get lost easily. If the do, the will be returned to the sender which is in this case CGC.

nutflush76 wrote:CGC mailed out my books on September 11th. Tomorrow will be 4 weeks since they were shipped and I have not received them. The USPS website only says that the package left their sorting facility in Sarasota on the 11th.

nutflush76
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

Post by nutflush76 »

drmirage wrote:Can you tell us how many books this package contains. Is it just a book at at least 20 books. Larger packages do not get lost easily. If the do, the will be returned to the sender which is in this case CGC.

It's 4 books. I was redeeming my collector's society coupon. All Silver age Batmans! CGC sends them in a pretty good sized box since they have to accommodate the four slabs and then they put a bunch of packing peanuts in there. (although I guess this could have changed since it's been close to 2 years since I last submitted anything to them.)

I also realized that if I get what my books were declared at, I am out the grading fees. :!: Or in this case, the collector's society fees.

I never thought that Registered mail would get lost. I've got over 800 feedback on eBay and I have only ever had one package lost! That was an international package.

I guess there is always the chance that I can still get my books. :hope:

ckb

Post by ckb »

The chance is still better than good. Someone will lose their job if that package is lost. It is a pretty big package even with 4 slabs.

drmirage

Post by drmirage »

Its most likely just delayed. Have you contacted the USPS in Palm Desert?

I have lost 1 or maybe 2 package in the last 12 years in working with the USPS. I believe there can only be a few reasons on how a package gets lost.

#1 A plane going down or truck getting into an accident
#2 Wrong mailing address
#3 Someone purposely stole the package.

Registered mail is laguishing in a safe (called the cage) within the post office. It does need a signature. Like CKB stated... someone can lose their job by misplacing this pacakage.

If you are really worried about the package. Call 1-800-ASK-USPS and pursue until you get a live agent. Ask them to start a customer care ticket (eCC). You should hear from a supervisor from 20037 within 24 hours but do leave an email address as it is difficult to contact Hawaii by phone during normal working hours.

nutflush76
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

Post by nutflush76 »

drmirage wrote:Its most likely just delayed. Have you contacted the USPS in Palm Desert?

I have lost 1 or maybe 2 package in the last 12 years in working with the USPS. I believe there can only be a few reasons on how a package gets lost.

#1 A plane going down or truck getting into an accident
#2 Wrong mailing address
#3 Someone purposely stole the package.

Registered mail is laguishing in a safe (called the cage) within the post office. It does need a signature. Like CKB stated... someone can lose their job by misplacing this pacakage.

If you are really worried about the package. Call 1-800-ASK-USPS and pursue until you get a live agent. Ask them to start a customer care ticket (eCC). You should hear from a supervisor from 20037 within 24 hours but do leave an email address as it is difficult to contact Hawaii by phone during normal working hours.
Yeah I called and got a case number for it. I just called today. I tried email but I haven't received a response yet, so that's why I called. I guess I should have just called them on Tuesday. Oh well. I have waited a month so far, I guess a few more days won't make much difference.

We will see what happens.

nutflush76
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

Post by nutflush76 »

Update:

I filed a claim with USPS last Friday. They gave me a claim# and told me they would call in 1 business day. I didn't receive a call so i called today. They told me that they had no information and that they could either file a new claim or i could call their consumer affairs which I guess is local to me. I didn't see the point in filing another claim so I got the number to consumer affairs. It's after 3:00pm my time so I have to wait until Monday to call them. :!:

I have used CGC a few times over the years and I have been pretty happy with their results. However, this situation is kind of irritating me. I called them twice to see if they had any info on the shipment, the first lady I spoke with seemed a little rude and the second lady was helpful, but pretty much told me I needed to file the claim with USPS myself. (though to be fair, she kind of seemed like she didn't know what to do with my situation.)

What is irritating me is I kind of feel like CGC should be doing the running around with USPS. If I sell anything on eBay I've gotta do all the USPS stuff. If I buy something on Amazon, or any other mail order retailer, they handle the shipping issues.

I understand that CGC didn't lose the books, but I just feel that there is a lack of customer service there.

ckb

Post by ckb »

nutflush76 wrote:Update:

I filed a claim with USPS last Friday. They gave me a claim# and told me they would call in 1 business day. I didn't receive a call so i called today. They told me that they had no information and that they could either file a new claim or i could call their consumer affairs which I guess is local to me. I didn't see the point in filing another claim so I got the number to consumer affairs. It's after 3:00pm my time so I have to wait until Monday to call them. :!:

I have used CGC a few times over the years and I have been pretty happy with their results. However, this situation is kind of irritating me. I called them twice to see if they had any info on the shipment, the first lady I spoke with seemed a little rude and the second lady was helpful, but pretty much told me I needed to file the claim with USPS myself. (though to be fair, she kind of seemed like she didn't know what to do with my situation.)

What is irritating me is I kind of feel like CGC should be doing the running around with USPS. If I sell anything on eBay I've gotta do all the USPS stuff. If I buy something on Amazon, or any other mail order retailer, they handle the shipping issues.

I understand that CGC didn't lose the books, but I just feel that there is a lack of customer service there.
You are maknig an interesting point, but I think the main difference is that CGC cannot replace the merchandise. When you deal with Amazon they can usually send you another one.

It is true that both sender and addressee can file a USPS claim. I don't think it is unreasonable that CGC gives you the tracking and lets you handle it from there.

By the way, are you saying they lost your claim number? Is it possible you wrote it down incorrectly or did you file online? You should use the online forms to make the claim and then follow up on the phone to avoid the translation issues.

nutflush76
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

Post by nutflush76 »

ckb wrote:
nutflush76 wrote:Update:

You are maknig an interesting point, but I think the main difference is that CGC cannot replace the merchandise. When you deal with Amazon they can usually send you another one.

It is true that both sender and addressee can file a USPS claim. I don't think it is unreasonable that CGC gives you the tracking and lets you handle it from there.

By the way, are you saying they lost your claim number? Is it possible you wrote it down incorrectly or did you file online? You should use the online forms to make the claim and then follow up on the phone to avoid the translation issues.
No, the claim info was right. They just told me nothing was in the system on it. I'm not really sure why she offered to file another claim.

I agree that CGC would not be able to replace the items. But, I could conceivably file a claim with my credit card company since I did not receive what I paid for. Even though they sent it, they could be out my grading fees. Although I couldn't really do that in this case since I used my collector's society coupons to pay for it.

drmirage

Post by drmirage »

Sorry to hear the bad news that you do not have your books yet. CGC just shipped a package to me last Friday and I received it the following Wednesday. They left a notice on my door, so I picked it up Thursday first thing in the morning. They use USPS Priority Mail (Registered). So the books came in quickly than I anticipated.

Did you try to check with your local post office. Usually the mail carrier will leave you a Pick Up notice at your door. If you misplaced that notice, you can just go to your local USPS office to pick up the package with an ID.

Maybe the package is there all along and you just did not pick them up. Try that and see what happens.

CGC actually wrote the city incorrectly on the package. Southside instead of Southridge. But the zip code was correct and I received my books fine.

Good luck.

nutflush76
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

Post by nutflush76 »

So, I called the California consumer affairs today. They had no record of my package ever leaving Florida and told me that the shipper would need to file a claim. Which is kind of what I thought from the beginning.

Anyway, I called CGC and spoke to Kim in shipping. At first she told me that she needed some paperwork from the USPS and that she never filed a claim without one. I thought that was kind of odd. To be honest, in the back of my mind I was thinking that they should have been handling this from the beginning, but I digress.

After I told her what day my books were sent out, Sept. 11th, she said she knew what happened. She sent 7 packages to California that day and they are all currently missing. There is a USPS shipping container with 27 total packages that has gone missing and my books happen to be in that container. She says it has happened once in the last 11 years she has been doing the job. It was eventually found, it made its way into the empty container area and was finally found when they needed a new container.

She also told me the remains of a dead guy :o are also in the container so the postal inspector has his people hand opening containers at all the hubs between Florida and California looking for this container. I don't know how true that part is, but I don't see why she would make it up.

So, she told me I could file the claim and if they didn't find my package in the allotted time, they would pay me, based on the declared value, and the package would then become their property once it was finally found.

I will hold off a couple of weeks on having her file a claim since, I would be out a lot more than the declared value of the books if they paid me. But this whole scenario has made me rethink how I declare the value of my books. I currently declare the price I paid for the books. However, I lose the grading fees I paid, the shipping costs, and whatever additional value the books may have over what I paid for them. Especially when you consider the graded vs. raw value. If the books wind up lost, I may change what I do. But if they are found, I may keep doing it the way I am because I don't want to overpay for shipping insurance if they aren't going to lose my packages.

Although the entire notion of shipping insurance seems like a scam to me. You pay a company to do a job. But you pay them extra to make sure the job is done right.... :?

ckb

Post by ckb »

Astounding story. CGC is clearly so dreadfully busy that they can't even make that simple connection without a massive amount of prodding. Definitely hold off on filing a claim until the time to do so is going to expire, because it will likely be found. The ashes of someone's loved one in there doesn't hurt.

Your thought about the insurance amount appear to be correct. On return, you must add the grading cost to your insurance amount. I came to this conclusion just recently in another board discussion. It's complicated by a pre-screen, but needs to be done nonetheless.

nutflush76
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

Post by nutflush76 »

ckb wrote:CGC is clearly so dreadfully busy that they can't even make that simple connection without a massive amount of prodding.
Not only that, the shipping department clearly knew about this issue and they knew how many and which orders were affected. They could have called, or emailed, the 7 people and told them that there was an issue with their order and that the shipping is delayed.

I was told that I was the fourth person to call on this issue. In the interest of customer service, you would think that they would do what they could to let the others know what was going on. Again, I understand that it's not CGC's fault, but these types of situations reflect on them. It just makes it look as if they don't really care.

If they are really so busy that they can't make 7 phone calls, then maybe they need more help. It's glaring oversights like this that make a monopoly like CGC susceptible to any real competition, that's not PGX! I swear, if I had the resources, I would start my own grading company, because the demand is obviously there.

ckb

Post by ckb »

nutflush76 wrote:
ckb wrote:CGC is clearly so dreadfully busy that they can't even make that simple connection without a massive amount of prodding.
Not only that, the shipping department clearly knew about this issue and they knew how many and which orders were affected. They could have called, or emailed, the 7 people and told them that there was an issue with their order and that the shipping is delayed.

I was told that I was the fourth person to call on this issue. In the interest of customer service, you would think that they would do what they could to let the others know what was going on. Again, I understand that it's not CGC's fault, but these types of situations reflect on them. It just makes it look as if they don't really care.

If they are really so busy that they can't make 7 phone calls, then maybe they need more help. It's glaring oversights like this that make a monopoly like CGC susceptible to any real competition, that's not PGX! I swear, if I had the resources, I would start my own grading company, because the demand is obviously there.
I hope that they are not exactly sure if all of them are on the lost container. But, if I was in charge I would have called every customer who had a package go out that day. So you have a valid point.

Chuck
Spartan s-p-i-r-i-t spirit, Go Spartans!
Spartan s-p-i-r-i-t spirit, Go Spartans!

Post by Chuck »

Just read the thread.

So did they find the packages?

What happened?

betterthanezra
Wanna see an unpublished Shadowman page?
Wanna see an unpublished Shadowman page?
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart

Post by betterthanezra »

Chuck wrote:Just read the thread.

What happened?
Yeah I just caught up and would love to know what got resolved with this...

-Brian
I'm on Twitter follow me

https://twitter.com/#!/shadowsip" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My Valiant story here

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6932" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

nutflush76
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

Post by nutflush76 »

betterthanezra wrote:
Chuck wrote:Just read the thread.

What happened?
Yeah I just caught up and would love to know what got resolved with this...

-Brian
So far, no packages.

I called CGC the other day to try and speak with Kim in shipping again. You have to talk to someone in customer service to get through to Kim. Well, I wasn't allowed to talk to her. The customer service rep (I think they only have one since I have talked to the same lady each time I have called there.) just said that Kim says the post office needs to send her paperwork to fill out.

I went to file the claim yesterday and low and behold, the only way to file a real claim for registered mail is via a paper form. You can file a claim for first class mail online, but not registered mail. :?

Anyway, as I was filling out the claim form there was a bunch of information on there that CGC would have and not me. Things like the total amount paid for shipping, shipping weight, etc. So I called CGC again and spoke to the CSR and she told me that she didn't have any of the info either. She also told me that 3 other people who had shipments that were lost with mine had already filed claims as well.

I didn't exactly know what to do so I went to my local post office and this close to Christmas, that was a mistake. But I digress, the lady at the counter had no idea what I needed to do and the supervisor that helped us was kind of surprised that the shipper was not filing the claim (me too facepalm ) So, they took the paperwork that I had and said they would send it in. They also don't actually file the claim at the local post office so I didn't get any kind of confirmation or anything and I just have to hope that my claim doesn't magically disappear.

So I am still waiting. :cry:

One other thing about a postal claim. They wanted receipts of the items in the package. Now, I have had the books I sent in for quite some time. I think I have had one of them for close to 10 years! There is no way I have receipts for those. There was a spot where I could indicate that the items were collectibles, but what is some guy at the post office going to know about the value of some silver age comic books?

Luckily, the books aren't that expensive (the most expensive book was a Batman #200) But there is at least $300.00 at stake for me which is no small hit to take. If I had an Amazing Spider-Man #1 or something like that graded, I may just drive to Florida myself and pick it up.

I really am just hoping that they find my books.

ckb

Post by ckb »

I'm not sure I agree that you cannot fill out the form online. Did you go here?

https://www.usps.com/ship/file-insurance-claims.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As far as evidence, you need the following:
2 - Evidence of Insurance
A mailing receipt, online label record, or shipment packaging can show the item was sent with insurance or Express Mail.

3 - Evidence of Value
You’ll also need to show the item’s value or estimated repair costs, with sales receipts or invoices.
I have been successful in using the CGC invoice where you have everything itemized and set an insurance amount for each item as evidence of value. I have also submitted screenshots and scans of the Overstreet or other online price guide for substantiation. Really, for something THEY lost, it is unlikely they will take anything more than a cursory look at it. How can you scam them?

I also think it may be time for you to go to the CGC boards and make a stink about the poor service CGc gave you on this. There is no reason they should not be filing these claims or at least coordinating them with their customers.