New reader to Valiant

How did you become a VALIANT collector?

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

badlander86
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?
Valiant fan since: Harbinger Wars
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Various
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Stephen Segovia, Paolo Rivera
New reader to Valiant

Post by badlander86 »

Hi, I'm the new addict to the Valiant Universe. I've taken a break from the Big Two for a while now since the constant reboots and movie/TV tie-ins sort of left a bad taste in my mouth and have been only reading some indie stuff and TMNT from IDW.

I recently picked Harbinger War Deluxe Edition on a whim and I've been hooked since. The world, the characters, the writing and art...just feels so tight and well done without this stigma of needing to pander to the mainstream media. I immediately looked for Bloodshot Deluxe Edition 2 which was a direct continuation of Bloodshot and H.A.R.DCorps' storyline and was not disappointed.

Since Harbinger War, I've decided to stick to the Deluxe Edition hardcovers just for how nice the presentation is and value proposition is a lot better. I've bought Armor Hunters which really completes my Cosmic yearning left when Marvel's old DnA written Nova and Guardians series ended. And I also tried out Unity which is great but I did not realize that parts of the Armor Hunters book gets repeated in the Unity Deluxe Edition.

Now I am waiting on Imperium to be collected in Deluxe as well as Bloodshot Reborn.

Hope to have some great discussions here with the rest of the more knowledgeable Valiant fans. I can truly say that Valiant has rekindled my love for comics in a way I haven't felt since the early 2000s.

AnarchoMambo
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Jeff Lemire
Favorite artist: Trevor Hairsine
Re: New reader to Valiant

Post by AnarchoMambo »

Yours is a great story, and probably one that will get more common going forward. Valiant's talent pool is the absolute key to their success. They keep guys like Kindt, Lemire, Dysart, Van Lente, Venditti around, and can find great new talent like Roberts and Houser. This is to say nothing of the exclusive stable of artists on hand either. Allow me, another relatively new fan, to be the first to welcome you to the forum!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

badlander86

Post by badlander86 »

gasstaxx wrote:Yours is a great story, and probably one that will get more common going forward. Valiant's talent pool is the absolute key to their success. They keep guys like Kindt, Lemire, Dysart, Van Lente, Venditti around, and can find great new talent like Roberts and Houser. This is to say nothing of the exclusive stable of artists on hand either. Allow me, another relatively new fan, to be the first to welcome you to the forum!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks and I agree with very impressive talent that Valiant has on hand, especially with the titles I mentioned. Jeff Lemire's Bloodshot is probably one of my favorites especially how he links the H.A.R.DCorps mythos to the Bloodshot program. I am not sure if they were related in the old Valiant universe.

I I could make a single complaint, its Toyo Harada's current look. The goatee its...well...not very Japanese CEO image. I preferred the more straight look he had in the old Valiant universe with the graying temples. I get that his current image is just a projection of his power but...yeah I liked the old Toyo Harada look more. Character-wise this Harada is just excellent.

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

Welcome! You will dig Imperium.

badlander86

Post by badlander86 »

jmatt wrote:Welcome! You will dig Imperium.

Thanks.

I am also interested in reading about the Eternal Warrior, specifically any story that he and Harada first meet since in Unity, they seem to know each other for a long time. Anyone knows what title covers this relationship?

Keith
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Timewalker
Favorite title: FVLs Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: FVL

Post by Keith »

badlander86 wrote:

Thanks.

I am also interested in reading about the Eternal Warrior, specifically any story that he and Harada first meet since in Unity, they seem to know each other for a long time. Anyone knows what title covers this relationship?
We haven't seen that one yet, but never say never.

If you want to read more EW besides his role in Unity, check out The Valiant -> Book of Death -> Wrath of the Eternal Warrior. Unity basically ends with Book of Death.

He also had an an 8 issue run a couple years back that ended up being a source of controversy amongst the fandom (and, unfortunately, is missable), as well as a three issue mini-series that was ok.
Good Morning, that's a nice tnetennba.
The thing about Arsenal is they always try to walk it in...

badlander86

Post by badlander86 »

Keith wrote:
badlander86 wrote:

Thanks.

If you want to read more EW besides his role in Unity, check out The Valiant -> Book of Death -> Wrath of the Eternal Warrior. Unity basically ends with Book of Death.

He also had an an 8 issue run a couple years back that ended up being a source of controversy amongst the fandom (and, unfortunately, is missable), as well as a three issue mini-series that was ok.
Thanks for the recommendations. I saw Book of Death at my LCS but on first reading I thought it was like Marvel's "The End" titles which were out of continuity. Will pick it up next month if budget permits.

If say I wanted to start on a new monthly series, which would be best to jump on? I'm thinking Bloodshot but I am holding out for a possible H.A.R.DCorps monthly. Also I notice that Shadowman seems fairly removed from the larger Valiant Universe. Is it a separate universe or is the isolation intentional?

Keith

Post by Keith »

badlander86 wrote:
Keith wrote:
badlander86 wrote:

Thanks.

Thanks for the recommendations. I saw Book of Death at my LCS but on first reading I thought it was like Marvel's "The End" titles which were out of continuity. Will pick it up next month if budget permits.

If say I wanted to start on a new monthly series, which would be best to jump on? I'm thinking Bloodshot but I am holding out for a possible H.A.R.DCorps monthly. Also I notice that Shadowman seems fairly removed from the larger Valiant Universe. Is it a separate universe or is the isolation intentional?
The current Bloodshot series, Bloodshot Reborn, would be a great choice. Jeff Lemire has been killing it, and the series is finishing up its third arc this month. If you wanted to jump on that series, I'd recommend reading The Valiant first. It was a central story for the Valiant Universe and launched several stories like Book of Death and Bloodshot Reborn.

You could also consider Wrath of the Eternal for a monthly ongoing. It's just about to start its second arc after a two issue prelude which was really great. I'd again recommend the reading order in my previous post... oh, and, while we may have some questions about the events foretold in Book of Death, Valiant has assured us that the stories are in continuity. We've already started seeing glimpses of that in the past year.

Unfortunately, I don't think Valiant has any plans for a H.A.R.D. Corps ongoing, but they are playing back up roles in the current (and just about to end) Imperium series. Still, if you want to get a couple of deluxe editions, the two Harbinger editions are worth your coin, and Imperium bridges out of Harbinger.

Lastly (and sorry for writing so much), Shadowman is definitely part of the Valiant Universe, though the more supernatural aspects are usually off on their own. He currently isn't in a series, and the attempt at an ongoing from several years back is another part living in Valiant infamy, especially how it ended. After being MIA for a long time, however, the character just appeared in the previous Ninjak arc, and the teaser from Free Comic Book Day indicates more Shadowman is on the way... someday.

Daniel Jackson
A toast to the return of Valiant!
A toast to the return of Valiant!

Post by Daniel Jackson »

Welcome.

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

Daniel Jackson wrote:Welcome.
+1 :thumb:

betterthanezra
Wanna see an unpublished Shadowman page?
Wanna see an unpublished Shadowman page?
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart

Post by betterthanezra »

greg wrote:
Daniel Jackson wrote:Welcome.
+1 :thumb:
+1 :thumb: :thumb:

-Brian
I'm on Twitter follow me

https://twitter.com/#!/shadowsip" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My Valiant story here

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6932" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

JCP
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Favorite character: Toyo Harada
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Mico Suayan & Lewis LaRosa

Post by JCP »

Welcome to the board and the Valiant universe! Once you've made the plunge away from the big two, you'll be hooked on Valiant and never look back. I haven't read a Marvel title in a looooong time now and I don't miss it.
Egad, a base tone denotes a bad age!

badlander86

Post by badlander86 »

Thanks for all the welcomes guys/gals. Yes, its been awhile since I've given the Big 2 a look. I'm not saying that their putting out crap, but I have to admit I think Valiant's editorial has a much better direction than what Marvel or DC has.

And thanks for all the recommendations!

badlander86

Post by badlander86 »

So I plonked down my hard-earned cash for Book of Death and The Valiant. First let me say this:
Paolo Rivera, where have you been all my life? I love his art, how he draws his expressions and how exceptionally crisp his artwork is. The subdued colors of the book made me feel I was reading an old Eurocentric graphic novel. I hope Valiant gets him to work on a major ongoing.

Now to the books themselves. The Valiant is a fun Bloodshot/Eternal Warrior-centric crossover with a great if a little simple storyline. I was expecting a little more backstory on the "Immortal Enemy" or Mr.Flay but I guess the ambiguity lends to his character. My only gripe is what happens after The Valiant...

...Is why The Immortal Enemy doesn't show up in Book of Death. Yes, I get that maybe its internal logic got screwed since it already killed Kay McHenry, the Geomancer of her time. But because we don't have an understanding of when or why the Immortal Enemy suddenly pops up to kill Geomancers at seemingly random intervals, I expected the Immortal Enemy to suddenly show up for David or Tama. the Darque reveal was great but I think he went down a little too easy.

So for guys like me who don't read single issues (yet) is the sequence of events:

Bloodshot and H.A.R.D Corps/Unity->Armor Hunters-> The Valiant->Bloodshot Reborn/Book of Death->Wrath of the Eternal Warrior?

While I'm starting to get really invested in a lot of these characters, financially I don't see myself picking up all the titles. Bloodshot and Eternal Warrior seem to appeal to me the most but I am really torn with continuing with Unity and still wanting to pick up Imperium.

Deep this Rabbit Hole is facepalm

DirtbagSailor
I only know how to fish, f^%k, fight, and throw rocks
Favorite character: Harada
Favorite title: Imperium

Post by DirtbagSailor »

Welcome! I've spent a bit of time in Singapore and greatly enjoyed the time there. :)

badlander86

Post by badlander86 »

DirtbagSailor wrote:Welcome! I've spent a bit of time in Singapore and greatly enjoyed the time there. :)

Thanks! US Navy?

DirtbagSailor
Favorite character: Harada
Favorite title: Imperium

Post by DirtbagSailor »

badlander86 wrote:
DirtbagSailor wrote:Welcome! I've spent a bit of time in Singapore and greatly enjoyed the time there. :)

Thanks! US Navy?
I am, spend the past 10 years in the region.

bobby97801
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Favorite character: X-O Manowar

Post by bobby97801 »

Welcome :thumb:

Keith

Post by Keith »

badlander86 wrote:So I plonked down my hard-earned cash for Book of Death and The Valiant. First let me say this:
Paolo Rivera, where have you been all my life? I love his art, how he draws his expressions and how exceptionally crisp his artwork is. The subdued colors of the book made me feel I was reading an old Eurocentric graphic novel. I hope Valiant gets him to work on a major ongoing.

Now to the books themselves. The Valiant is a fun Bloodshot/Eternal Warrior-centric crossover with a great if a little simple storyline. I was expecting a little more backstory on the "Immortal Enemy" or Mr.Flay but I guess the ambiguity lends to his character. My only gripe is what happens after The Valiant...

...Is why The Immortal Enemy doesn't show up in Book of Death. Yes, I get that maybe its internal logic got screwed since it already killed Kay McHenry, the Geomancer of her time. But because we don't have an understanding of when or why the Immortal Enemy suddenly pops up to kill Geomancers at seemingly random intervals, I expected the Immortal Enemy to suddenly show up for David or Tama. the Darque reveal was great but I think he went down a little too easy.

So for guys like me who don't read single issues (yet) is the sequence of events:

Bloodshot and H.A.R.D Corps/Unity->Armor Hunters-> The Valiant->Bloodshot Reborn/Book of Death->Wrath of the Eternal Warrior?

While I'm starting to get really invested in a lot of these characters, financially I don't see myself picking up all the titles. Bloodshot and Eternal Warrior seem to appeal to me the most but I am really torn with continuing with Unity and still wanting to pick up Imperium.

I'll do you one better and try to break down that reading order by events and story arcs:

Bold = Events, Italics = story arc

Bloodshot "Setting the World on Fire" vol 1 & "The Rise and The Fall" vol 2 (and Harbinger "The Omega Age" vol 1 & "Renegades" vol. 2)

Harbinger Wars w/ Bloodshot vol 3 (and Harbinger vol 3) as tie in
Bloodshot & H.A.R.D. Corps "H.A.R.D. Corps" vol. 4
Unity "To Kill the King" vol. 1, crosses over w/ X-O "At War with Unity" vol. 5
Bloodshot & H.A.R.D. Corps "Get Some" 1/2 of vol. 5
Unity "Trapped By WEBNET" vol. 2
Bloodshot & H.A.R.D. Corps "Mission Improbable" cross over with Archer & Armstrong - A&A vol. 5
Bloodshot & H.A.R.D. Corps "vs. H.A.R.D. Corps" other half of vol. 5

Armor Hunters w/ Unity vol. 3 and Armor Hunters: Bloodshot as tie in
Unity "The United" vol. 4
Personally, I think Divinity fits in well here, and since Unity shows up, maybe you want to check it out

The Valiant - underlined to suggest a mini-event just because it's a big turning point for the Valiant U.
Bloodshot Reborn - ongoing... Bloodshot is pretty much off the grid with the rest of the Valiant U at this point, though the Fall of Bloodshot tie in w/ Book of Death reads better after the Colorado vol. 1 story arc
Unity "Homefront" vol. 5
Unity "Warmonger vol. 6
Unity "Revenge of the Armor Hunters" vol. 7

Book of Death
Unity issue #25
Wrath of the Eternal Warrior ongoing... Gilad has been off grid...

4001 AD and if you want to read that one, the three vol. of Rai collected in the Rai Deluxe are suggested pre-reading.

badlander86

Post by badlander86 »

Keith wrote:
badlander86 wrote:So I plonked down my hard-earned cash for Book of Death and The Valiant. First let me say this:

I'll do you one better and try to break down that reading order by events and story arcs:

Bold = Events, Italics = story arc

Bloodshot "Setting the World on Fire" vol 1 & "The Rise and The Fall" vol 2 (and Harbinger "The Omega Age" vol 1 & "Renegades" vol. 2)

Harbinger Wars w/ Bloodshot vol 3 (and Harbinger vol 3) as tie in
Bloodshot & H.A.R.D. Corps "H.A.R.D. Corps" vol. 4
Unity "To Kill the King" vol. 1, crosses over w/ X-O "At War with Unity" vol. 5
Bloodshot & H.A.R.D. Corps "Get Some" 1/2 of vol. 5
Unity "Trapped By WEBNET" vol. 2
Bloodshot & H.A.R.D. Corps "Mission Improbable" cross over with Archer & Armstrong - A&A vol. 5
Bloodshot & H.A.R.D. Corps "vs. H.A.R.D. Corps" other half of vol. 5

Armor Hunters w/ Unity vol. 3 and Armor Hunters: Bloodshot as tie in
Unity "The United" vol. 4
Personally, I think Divinity fits in well here, and since Unity shows up, maybe you want to check it out

The Valiant - underlined to suggest a mini-event just because it's a big turning point for the Valiant U.
Bloodshot Reborn - ongoing... Bloodshot is pretty much off the grid with the rest of the Valiant U at this point, though the Fall of Bloodshot tie in w/ Book of Death reads better after the Colorado vol. 1 story arc
Unity "Homefront" vol. 5
Unity "Warmonger vol. 6
Unity "Revenge of the Armor Hunters" vol. 7

Book of Death
Unity issue #25
Wrath of the Eternal Warrior ongoing... Gilad has been off grid...

4001 AD and if you want to read that one, the three vol. of Rai collected in the Rai Deluxe are suggested pre-reading.
Thanks Keith. I think unless Valiant intends to do some massive reboot, keeping a timeline like this is actually way better for continuity or reading up on backstories. I remember back in the day Dark Horse would actually have a timeline for their Star Wars comics so you'd know roughly which era/timeline the comic series/story takes place. I wish more publishers practiced that and made it part of their official site or something.

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

Welcome!

I share your enthusiasm for Paolo Rivera (and his dad Joe is a fantastic colourist) - I actually just re-read The Valiant the other day, I love that mini series! Would be awesome to get him back on another title. He has done some great variant covers for VEI as well.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;