Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Gilad Anni-Padda
Favorite title: Eternal Warrior
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Peter's Valiant Story

Post by Peter »

Hello, my name is Peter and I live in Brisbane Australia. I have always been an avid reader of comics and was fortunate enough to be exposed to both U.S. and UK publications growing up throughout the seventies. My early favourites were Planet of the Apes, Conan, Tomb of Dracula and many, many more titles that took me on the many adventures, the writers and artists would transport me through.
I was first exposed to Valiant through Eternal Warrior and that remains my favourite title, followed closely by X-O Manowar.

As I was a fan of Highlander franchise, the movie and the TV series that had just started at that time, the Eternal Warrior comic was a totally different premise, but they both had one thing in common besides the immortality, and that was the flashbacks, which I loved.
Well Eternal Warrior opened the door to other Valiant titles, and I was soon collecting X-O Manowar, Solar, Rai, Bloodshot, Shadowman, Turok, Ninjak, Timewalker, The Second life of Dr. Mirage, Geomancer and Armorines, with semi-regular forays into Magnus, Harbinger, Archer and Armstrong and Secret Weapons.

I guess from 1996 to 2000, I started to drop away from many of the titles as they disappeared, and then to me at the time, became more and more unreadable.
I was so happy to hear two years ago that Valiant were back and I must add I was a bit apprehensive, would they be able to continue with good story telling that I remembered so fondly. I have been with X-O Manowar and Archer and Armstrong right from the start (2012), always waiting for Eternal warrior to return, to which I was pleasantly surprised to see in the pages of Archer and Armstrong.

Bloodshot, Harbinger and Shadowman, for some strange reason, I was hesitant to pick up regularly, perhaps out of fear that they would stop again.
It wasn't until I started searching (after re-reading Eternal Warrior) to upgrade the condition of some of my original favourites, as they were very well read, and try to close some gaps of the later 90's issues, as well as find some rare X-O variants, that I eventually came into contact with Bruce, and it was a refreshing change to find someone who was very knowledgeable about all things Valiant.
He not only directed me here (thank you), but also during this time I decided to take my blinkers off and give Bloodshot, Shadowman and Harbinger another go, to which I have not been disappointed.

The VEI really a different twist to each of their stories from the originals, that I find very compelling and hard to put down, the characters have a much greater depth, the artwork is stunning and storytelling is again taking me on amazing adventures, so it looks like I am here again for the long haul. I can't predict the future but am jumping on the merry-go-round again with both feet.

I wish Valiant all the best for a long and continued success, and I hope to find myself throwing my two cents in on this fine forum from time to time, if you guys are happy to put up with a 50 year old Australian Valiant fan. :)

caniac
the hole just keeps getting deeper
the hole just keeps getting deeper
Favorite character: XO Manowar
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite writer: Robert Venditti
Re: Peter's Valiant Story

Post by caniac »

Welcome to the board :thumb:

Burrito Boy
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Favorite character: Gunny Lewis
Favorite title: Armorines
Favorite writer: Jorge Gonzalez

Post by Burrito Boy »

Welcome to the board.

Here, have a taco. :D

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
I could be talking poo-doo.
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

Welcome

:thumb:
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

brucehartshorn
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Valiant fan since: MRF #1
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: Shadowman

Post by brucehartshorn »

Peter,

You'll find this is one great bunch of people here. Veery informed, concerned, and willing always to help out a fellow Valiant collector.

I know there are may threads you will find interesting here so jump in and look around.

Man Of The Atom
Favorite artist: Ramon Villalobos

Post by Man Of The Atom »

Welcome to the board! :thumb:

kevinbastos
I felt 'used car salesman' kind of dirty.
I felt 'used car salesman' kind of dirty.
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody

Post by kevinbastos »

Welcome. It's fun here.
Hey, look! I have a podcast!
And a Website!
http://www.valiantnewuniverse.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If I win an argument, it doesn't mean I'm right. It means I'm a better arguer.

In addition, I'm right.

betterthanezra
Wanna see an unpublished Shadowman page?
Wanna see an unpublished Shadowman page?
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart

Post by betterthanezra »

Nice to have you here :thumb:

-Brian
I'm on Twitter follow me

https://twitter.com/#!/shadowsip" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My Valiant story here

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6932" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

caxiotis
Wang, Wang, Wang, I want all of your books.
Wang, Wang, Wang, I want all of your books.
Valiant fan since: 1991

Post by caxiotis »

Welcome
Pull List: I only buy TPB's, HC's and Hellboy comics

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

Welcome to the boards. It's fun here. I'm so glad you're not a Canadian. We're overrun with them. They are not to be trusted. :kidaround:
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

MarkRoseHFX
smother you to death with a big pile of poutine
Favorite character: Chiclo
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart,V-ditti,Kindt,Lemire
Favorite artist: Cary Nord

Post by MarkRoseHFX »

Welcome to the board Peter!

I've actually been to Brisbane it's an awesome place
Hell Yeah Valiant Comics! Tumblr - http://bit.ly/16xoK8x" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://about.me/markrosehfx

PSN- gorakthebunny

Dynamite can suck my balls

String
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago

Post by String »

Peter wrote:Hello, my name is Peter and I live in Brisbane Australia. I have always been an avid reader of comics and was fortunate enough to be exposed to both U.S. and UK publications growing up throughout the seventies. My early favourites were Planet of the Apes, Conan, Tomb of Dracula and many, many more titles that took me on the many adventures, the writers and artists would transport me through.
I was first exposed to Valiant through Eternal Warrior and that remains my favourite title, followed closely by X-O Manowar.

As I was a fan of Highlander franchise, the movie and the TV series that had just started at that time, the Eternal Warrior comic was a totally different premise, but they both had one thing in common besides the immortality, and that was the flashbacks, which I loved.
Well Eternal Warrior opened the door to other Valiant titles, and I was soon collecting X-O Manowar, Solar, Rai, Bloodshot, Shadowman, Turok, Ninjak, Timewalker, The Second life of Dr. Mirage, Geomancer and Armorines, with semi-regular forays into Magnus, Harbinger, Archer and Armstrong and Secret Weapons.

I guess from 1996 to 2000, I started to drop away from many of the titles as they disappeared, and then to me at the time, became more and more unreadable.
I was so happy to hear two years ago that Valiant were back and I must add I was a bit apprehensive, would they be able to continue with good story telling that I remembered so fondly. I have been with X-O Manowar and Archer and Armstrong right from the start (2012), always waiting for Eternal warrior to return, to which I was pleasantly surprised to see in the pages of Archer and Armstrong.

Bloodshot, Harbinger and Shadowman, for some strange reason, I was hesitant to pick up regularly, perhaps out of fear that they would stop again.
It wasn't until I started searching (after re-reading Eternal Warrior) to upgrade the condition of some of my original favourites, as they were very well read, and try to close some gaps of the later 90's issues, as well as find some rare X-O variants, that I eventually came into contact with Bruce, and it was a refreshing change to find someone who was very knowledgeable about all things Valiant.
He not only directed me here (thank you), but also during this time I decided to take my blinkers off and give Bloodshot, Shadowman and Harbinger another go, to which I have not been disappointed.

The VEI really a different twist to each of their stories from the originals, that I find very compelling and hard to put down, the characters have a much greater depth, the artwork is stunning and storytelling is again taking me on amazing adventures, so it looks like I am here again for the long haul. I can't predict the future but am jumping on the merry-go-round again with both feet.

I wish Valiant all the best for a long and continued success, and I hope to find myself throwing my two cents in on this fine forum from time to time, if you guys are happy to put up with a 50 year old Australian Valiant fan. :)
Gilad is the character that intially drew me into Valiant as well, a concept I love along with Highlander. Nice to know he had the same effect for you as well.

Howdy and welcome to the boards! :thumb:

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

Highlander is just awesome.

comicsyte95
It's Porktastic!!!
It's Porktastic!!!

Post by comicsyte95 »

Welcome!I am a big Highlander fan as well.I remember watching the series with my grandma.The early 90's were some good years. :thumb:
If I just can't be me ,and the Arrow isn't enough.. then maybe I should be Ra's al Ghul

Peter

Post by Peter »

Thank you everyone for your warm welcomes, I'm sure I am going to really enjoy it here.

I'm loving the U.S/Canada rivalry already, we have the same thing here between Aussies and Kiwis (New Zealanders), but on that note, I notice it was said that there is too many Canadians on this forum. Does that mean then that on average, Canadians have very good taste :) . Just putting it out there.

Yes I have a very soft spot for the Highlander Franchise, some of the movies not so much, but I have always wondered how it would play out if Gilad were to face off against Conner Macleod. I think that the mongrel in Gilad would prevail. I'm really looking forward to seeing how Gilad goes against Aric with the X-O suit, this is going to be so great.

Cheers again for the good wishes, I'm really looking forward to going through the topics in this forum and to getting to know you all, which will take me a while, but it will be fun.

comicsyte95
It's Porktastic!!!
It's Porktastic!!!

Post by comicsyte95 »

If I was a betting man, I would bet that one of the movies you dislike is Highlander 2.That movie to me didn't make much sense.
Last edited by comicsyte95 on Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:19:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
If I just can't be me ,and the Arrow isn't enough.. then maybe I should be Ra's al Ghul

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

comicsyte95 wrote:If I was a betting man, I would bet that one of the movies you dislike is Highlander 2.That movie to me didn't make much sense.
Everyone needs to see the Renegade Version. It's not bad.

comicsyte95
It's Porktastic!!!
It's Porktastic!!!

Post by comicsyte95 »

Me and friends when I went to school thought it was a dream scene, his reaction to Kurgan's powerful quickening.

Peter

Post by Peter »

comicsyte95 wrote:If I was a betting man, I would bet that one of the movies you dislike is Highlander 2.That movie to me didn't make much sense.

Yes well the 2nd, 4th and 5th movies, I have never thought we needed to know the origins, sometimes things just are.

MarkRoseHFX

Post by MarkRoseHFX »

Peter wrote:Canadians have very good taste :) . Just putting it out there.
Aussie Aussie Aussie!

Oi Oi Oi!

I like this guy already :thumb:
Hell Yeah Valiant Comics! Tumblr - http://bit.ly/16xoK8x" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PSN- gorakthebunny

MarkRoseHFX

Post by MarkRoseHFX »

lorddunlow wrote:
The Renegade Version is decent, so much better than the original piece of *SQUEE*

PSN- gorakthebunny

comicsyte95
It's Porktastic!!!
It's Porktastic!!!

Post by comicsyte95 »

MarkRoseHFX wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:
The Renegade Version is decent, so much better than the original piece of *SQUEE*
Is that the directors cut?

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

comicsyte95 wrote:
MarkRoseHFX wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:
Yes. Although I think there is a "Director's Cut" version that isn't really that good. I could be remembering wrong, though. The "Renegade Version" is the one to watch. Removes all mention of being aliens from another planet.

comicsyte95
It's Porktastic!!!
It's Porktastic!!!

Post by comicsyte95 »

lorddunlow wrote:
comicsyte95 wrote:
MarkRoseHFX wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:
Yes. Although I think there is a "Director's Cut" version that isn't really that good. I could be remembering wrong, though. The "Renegade Version" is the one to watch. Removes all mention of being aliens from another planet.
Ill have to watch it.Just by taking that out would probably make the movie completely different.

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

comicsyte95 wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:
comicsyte95 wrote:
MarkRoseHFX wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:
Ill have to watch it.Just by taking that out would probably make the movie completely different.
I remember watching Highlander 2 in the theatre. I had just watched Highlander on video a few months before. When I started seeing ads for this movie, I was unbelievably excited. I remember thinking (at 10 years old) - what kind of crap is this? They are aliens. Many years later, I watched the Renegade Version (I really need an upgrade of my VHS copy), and thought, "now that's more like it".