An old dude discovers Valiant comics- and he's lovin it!

How did you become a VALIANT collector?

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

ShadowTuga
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.
Valiant fan since: 2012
An old dude discovers Valiant comics- and he's lovin it!

Post by ShadowTuga »

First post, so I'll have on of these If you good people don't mind it :

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Thank, thank you, Ladies and Gents.
Well, the name is Marco and I'm a Portuguese on his mid-30's who has never heard of Valiant Comics until this Summer.

I used to collect (90% Marvel, with the occasional Batman or Teen Titans book) in the 80s, but as soon as I stated playing the guitar at age 14, comics and action figures were a thing of the past.

6 Years later i went to colege and a friend of mine started to borrow me some of his 2000+ comic army. This was my first look at what I missed in the 90s Marvel and Image- not much, from what i was shown. And that is also when I discover the grim world of Post-DKR Batman, my all-time favourite hero (i usually say i'm a Batman fan, but not quite a DC one)

Then, a couple years later i decide to read EVERY X-MEN (MAH TEAM, Marvel-wise) book that was printed between 1963 AND 2007, in order to get up to date with the then current storylines. A DAUNTING TASK, but i managed to relive some of my favourite stories as a child. I stopped around 1986, when X-Factor came around, and i started to lose interest again. The X-Men were TOO DARN "messy" even for someone who read every single issue at that point. And they only had like, 3 ongoing titles.

5 years passed and I decide to try this New52- but 99% of my pull list is ONLY Batman titles. The "odd" ball is JL.
I read about Shism, Regenesis and I decide to try the two flag X-BOOKS- and they're both excellent. Then, I try Uncanny X-FORCE- and I think it's the best Marvel book i remember reading in a long time.
Aside some issues with some of the books, my pull list was actually nice. Nice.

That was until Marvel NOW! facepalm and the crack's in NU52 continuity starting to show, in a big way. Things we're about to get crappy. Again.

Then I hear about this publisher who's coming back with covers that talk, and a mythical aura from days gone by. I'm curious. I research what I can about this VALIANT thing, and I end up reading X-O Manowar 1.
I loved it. Felt fresh, beautiful and unlike anything I was reading.

Then I tried Harbinger 1, 2, X-0 2 AND Bloodshot 1.
I have no words for now. But I assure you, if you keep giving us precious gems like those, you HAVE MY MONEY.

This is my public thanking to Valiant, for keeping the flame of good story-telling, and - it seems to me - for RESPECTING their fanbase/customers.

Thank you. You made my monthly comic reading a VERY fun time, again. :)

Peace

(and please excuse my occasional slip- Shakespeare's language is not my first :oops: )
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that
Re: An old dude discovers Valiant comics- and he's lovin it!

Post by Elveen »

Hola compadre. Welcome aboard.

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

Elveen wrote:Hola compadre. Welcome aboard.
Thanks.
And I'm a new- but already big- fan of OTV's podcast, btw. :D
Keep those podcasts coming, they're awesome and informative and i don't mind the off-topic sessions at all. : :thumb:
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

caniac
the hole just keeps getting deeper
the hole just keeps getting deeper
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: XO Manowar
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite writer: Robert Venditti

Post by caniac »

Welcome :thumb:

iwantvaliant
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance

Post by iwantvaliant »

Welcome to the boards and to Valiant. :thumb:
My podcast reviews the Valiant trades: http://vepodcast.wordpress.com/
And my timeline on the original Valiant Universe: http://valiantfans.com/vctimeline/

kevinbastos
I felt 'used car salesman' kind of dirty.
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody

Post by kevinbastos »

Welcome, fellow pork chop!

Enjoy - I'm in the process of reading Silver Marvel stuff (and New Universe) on the side - but Valiant - especially the OLD stuff - and now again on the new - are great fun.

Do you live in Portugal? I spent a week there last summer. Heaven.
Hey, look! I have a podcast!
And a Website!
http://www.valiantnewuniverse.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If I win an argument, it doesn't mean I'm right. It means I'm a better arguer.

In addition, I'm right.

MarrowMan
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: ShadowMan
Favorite title: ShadowMan
Favorite writer: Dysart, Jordan

Post by MarrowMan »

Bom Dia!

nice story dude, but you're not old.

That would make me old, and I'm not having that for one second. :lol:

welcome to the boards

betterthanezra
Wanna see an unpublished Shadowman page?
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart

Post by betterthanezra »

Nice story Welcome :thumb:

-Brian
I'm on Twitter follow me

https://twitter.com/#!/shadowsip" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My Valiant story here

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6932" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Daniel Jackson
A toast to the return of Valiant!
A toast to the return of Valiant!

Post by Daniel Jackson »

Welcome to the board.

dhudson1
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: duh, X-O
Favorite writer: ditti
Favorite artist: all of them

Post by dhudson1 »

Old, you're just a young pup!

Welcome
'Cause I'm a man with
A whole lot on his mind
Just out there somewhere
Traveling in time

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

Thanks, everyone. It does look like this is a really friendly community. :)
kevinbastos wrote:Welcome, fellow pork chop!

Enjoy - I'm in the process of reading Silver Marvel stuff (and New Universe) on the side - but Valiant - especially the OLD stuff - and now again on the new - are great fun.

Thanks. I assume from your username that you have a portuguese background? :wink:
As for old Valiant, I've thought about hunting some of that stuff, mostly those pre-Unity titles that everyone praises.
But I think it won't be easy at all to find the books outside the U.S. :(

And yup, I live in Lisboa/Lisbon.
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

comicsyte95
It's Porktastic!!!
It's Porktastic!!!

Post by comicsyte95 »

Welcome! :thumb:
If I just can't be me ,and the Arrow isn't enough.. then maybe I should be Ra's al Ghul

kevinbastos

Post by kevinbastos »

ShadowTuga wrote:Thanks, everyone. It does look like this is a really friendly community. :)
kevinbastos wrote:Welcome, fellow pork chop!

Thanks. I assume from your username that you have a portuguese background? :wink:
As for old Valiant, I've thought about hunting some of that stuff, mostly those pre-Unity titles that everyone praises.
But I think it won't be easy at all to find the books outside the U.S. :(

And yup, I live in Lisboa/Lisbon.
Yes, my Dad's family all were from Porto (Gaia, actually). My Dad and his wife took a trip to Portugal for twenty days - he called it the trip of his lifetime. The following Christmas, he was diagnosed with lung cancer, and died nine months later. The following summer (2011), my stepmother took me and all of my siblings on a whirlwind tour of Portugal. We stayed for three days in Lisbon, and saw Coimbra and Evora. Marvao was my favorite.

Nice to hear someone who recognizes the Portuguese in me. Most people think I'm Greek...

Look for a giant set of the books. Send em all over. They are lovely. Or - digital. SOLAR, Magnus, and X-O are all very good. Harbinger as a story is good - but look for the TPB to save money.
And a Website!
http://www.valiantnewuniverse.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In addition, I'm right.

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

kevinbastos wrote: Yes, my Dad's family all were from Porto (Gaia, actually). My Dad and his wife took a trip to Portugal for twenty days - he called it the trip of his lifetime. The following Christmas, he was diagnosed with lung cancer, and died nine months later. The following summer (2011), my stepmother took me and all of my siblings on a whirlwind tour of Portugal. We stayed for three days in Lisbon, and saw Coimbra and Evora. Marvao was my favorite.
I'm sorry to hear about your father. I lost my Dad last year, also, and it's still very hard for me to deal with it.
It's life, I guess...

On a more positive note, Marvão is beautiful, indeed. I guess that you visited the castle and all the medieval roads and buildings. It is like going back in time, it really is.
kevinbastos wrote:Nice to hear someone who recognizes the Portuguese in me. Most people think I'm Greek...

Look for a giant set of the books. Send em all over. They are lovely. Or - digital. SOLAR, Magnus, and X-O are all very good. Harbinger as a story is good - but look for the TPB to save money.
Lolol, yeah, we have a bit of that mediterranean look about us.

As for the old Valiant books, from what I gathered, I guess my best bet is to wait for the collections from VEI. I'm not a big fan of digital, but sometimes it's the only way to read a comic, particularly for out-of-print stuff.

If I can find a European Union (UK, maybe?) store that ships them to Portugal, I will definitely buy some of the old Valiant in floppies (I'd really like to collect both Shadowman and X-O, at least. Maybe Harbinger, also).
I don't have much faith that I will find one, but...
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

kevinbastos

Post by kevinbastos »

ShadowTuga wrote:
kevinbastos wrote:
kevinbastos wrote:Nice to hear someone who recognizes the Portuguese in me. Most people think I'm Greek...

Lolol, yeah, we have a bit of that mediterranean look about us.

As for the old Valiant books, from what I gathered, I guess my best bet is to wait for the collections from VEI. I'm not a big fan of digital, but sometimes it's the only way to read a comic, particularly for out-of-print stuff.

If I can find a European Union (UK, maybe?) store that ships them to Portugal, I will definitely buy some of the old Valiant in floppies (I'd really like to collect both Shadowman and X-O, at least. Maybe Harbinger, also).
I don't have much faith that I will find one, but...
The name Bastos - ending in the S - most people - especially Greek people - assume that means I am Portuguese. While I have that Mediterranean look, as well...

Many of the books get available on the floppies on eBay, I wold say relatively often. While I don't usually see a FULL set, I have often seen NEARLY complete sets. Or, look or some of the OLD TPBs. The Shadowman one can be found inexpensively, as can the Valiant Era one. The SOLAR and Magnus both sem to trade higher, which is too bad. They are the brilliant sections.

I keep thinking a Unity TPB would be amazing again. Especially if Valiant eventually came around to the mega crossover days... I am certain that some sort of accord could be found...

Anyho, enough off topic for tonight!
And a Website!

In addition, I'm right.

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

ShadowTuga wrote:That was until Marvel NOW! facepalm and the crack's in NU52 continuity starting to show, in a big way. Things we're about to get crappy. Again.
Proving, once again, the futility of constantly rebooting stuff that's been done to death.

Welcome, friend.

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

jmatt wrote:
ShadowTuga wrote:That was until Marvel NOW! facepalm and the crack's in NU52 continuity starting to show, in a big way. Things we're about to get crappy. Again.
Proving, once again, the futility of constantly rebooting stuff that's been done to death.

Welcome, friend.
:rant:
Ah, you know my trouble with DC is quite different: I thought that the Nu52 would be a real nice way to bring new readers to the hobby. I was one of them, because even if I was huge Batman fan, it was not until last August that I stated collecting the monthlies again. DC contiinuity was ALWAYS a huge mess and i genuinely believed that this initiative would solve it all - and the fact that Morrison's run, along most of Batman history was intact, save for poor Batgirls, was nothing but perfect; i'd still get my bat-continuity AND a fresh look at characters I never cared BEFORE like Aquaman or Wonder Woman.
Until 2 or 3 months ago when we started to see that the plan, was nothing but a despair move to gain immediate sale boosts and publicity- and it worked, good for them. So now you got things like Bruce operating for five years, with a son of 10 (who supposedly was conceived after he was Batman), and 4 Robins under his wing, already.
And Oracle is Batgirl again. And now, it seems Timmy Drake was never a Robin.
Plan my :censored:

As for Marvel, after investing so many time and money into this franchise over the last years, i feel robbed for what they're doing with the X-Men after AvX and Marvel Now!
I hope the get those famous "lapsed readers". I was a lapsed reader and Joe Quesada s*** on my fav comics.

Anyways, Thanks for the welcoming. :thumb:
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

Welcome!!

I can't imagine what it must be like to be discovering Valiant for the first time with this epic relaunch, but I think it's great you are getting the vibe from them of deep respect for their past, their fans & the importance of telling GOOD stories...

I have recently stopped all the DCn52 titles I was reading, and once MarvelNOW starts rolling I will be dropping my last holdover (iron man) from the comic universe I grew up with. I hope to be reading Valiant for many many many many years to come.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MoonChild
I HAVE NO INTENT ON BEING PATIENT!
I HAVE NO INTENT ON BEING PATIENT!
Favorite character: BloodShot
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart

Post by MoonChild »

Welcome!
Click the Sig, Hear Something Different!
http://www.reverbnation.com/lexmoon
Also, Check my reverbnation page^

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

grendeljd wrote:Welcome!!

I can't imagine what it must be like to be discovering Valiant for the first time with this epic relaunch, but I think it's great you are getting the vibe from them of deep respect for their past, their fans & the importance of telling GOOD stories...
You know, if I think about it, it almost sounds TOO good to be true: they've published only 9 comics (as of today) and EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM WAS MORE THAN WORTH THE MONEY. Every one. And they are all so different from each other, being amazing in very different ways. Like "sci-fi Epic adventure of the Summer" in X-O, "noirish, gruesome, bada**, mercenary action" in Bloodshot, "psychological urban thriller meets superheroes" in Harbinger... and the crazy world-wide ride and box of surprises that A&A promises to be. Then they give us goodies like awesome Variants, that we can get at cover price (even I, who usually hates these things, have been collecting'em all- every money they can get now, is important, i think).

But much more important, is the feeling that i get from the interviews with the people involved that they are really passionate about their jobs, they truly love these characters and are commited to provide them with the best stories they can get.

As their Fan and Customer, I can not ask for more. And as I said before, as long as they keep doing what they have been doing, my money is on them. That's a guarantee.
grendeljd wrote:I hope to be reading Valiant for many many many many years to come.
Same here, man, and Amen to that. 8-)
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

ShadowTuga wrote:First post, so I'll have on of these If you good people don't mind it :

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Thank, thank you, Ladies and Gents.
Well, the name is Marco and I'm a Portuguese on his mid-30's who has never heard of Valiant Comics until this Summer.

I used to collect (90% Marvel, with the occasional Batman or Teen Titans book) in the 80s, but as soon as I stated playing the guitar at age 14, comics and action figures were a thing of the past.

6 Years later i went to colege and a friend of mine started to borrow me some of his 2000+ comic army. This was my first look at what I missed in the 90s Marvel and Image- not much, from what i was shown. And that is also when I discover the grim world of Post-DKR Batman, my all-time favourite hero (i usually say i'm a Batman fan, but not quite a DC one)

Then, a couple years later i decide to read EVERY X-MEN (MAH TEAM, Marvel-wise) book that was printed between 1963 AND 2007, in order to get up to date with the then current storylines. A DAUNTING TASK, but i managed to relive some of my favourite stories as a child. I stopped around 1986, when X-Factor came around, and i started to lose interest again. The X-Men were TOO DARN "messy" even for someone who read every single issue at that point. And they only had like, 3 ongoing titles.

5 years passed and I decide to try this New52- but 99% of my pull list is ONLY Batman titles. The "odd" ball is JL.
I read about Shism, Regenesis and I decide to try the two flag X-BOOKS- and they're both excellent. Then, I try Uncanny X-FORCE- and I think it's the best Marvel book i remember reading in a long time.
Aside some issues with some of the books, my pull list was actually nice. Nice.

That was until Marvel NOW! facepalm and the crack's in NU52 continuity starting to show, in a big way. Things we're about to get crappy. Again.

Then I hear about this publisher who's coming back with covers that talk, and a mythical aura from days gone by. I'm curious. I research what I can about this VALIANT thing, and I end up reading X-O Manowar 1.
I loved it. Felt fresh, beautiful and unlike anything I was reading.

Then I tried Harbinger 1, 2, X-0 2 AND Bloodshot 1.
I have no words for now. But I assure you, if you keep giving us precious gems like those, you HAVE MY MONEY.

This is my public thanking to Valiant, for keeping the flame of good story-telling, and - it seems to me - for RESPECTING their fanbase/customers.

Thank you. You made my monthly comic reading a VERY fun time, again. :)

Peace

(and please excuse my occasional slip- Shakespeare's language is not my first :oops: )
Hey, 35 yo tuga- you are an even older dude now, and your english still sucks. And 5 years from your time, you'll be reading Marvel again you freaking hypocrite.
But Happy 5th Anniversary on these boards you stupid *SQUEE*. :thumb:
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

kinggirlfriend
Valiant fan since: 2016
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Wrath
Favorite writer: Venditti
Favorite artist: CAFU

Post by kinggirlfriend »

Happy anniversary Tuga! :D

betterthanezra
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart

Post by betterthanezra »

:lol: Happy Anniversary

-Brian
I'm on Twitter follow me

https://twitter.com/#!/shadowsip" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My Valiant story here

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6932" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;