My Valiant Story

How did you become a VALIANT collector?

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Wodwulf Seaxaning
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
Valiant fan since: 2017
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Duane Swierczynski
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain
My Valiant Story

Post by Wodwulf Seaxaning »

I have to admit I am late to the game, as I just got into Valiant comics. I was mainly a independent comics & manga fan; when I did read super hero comics I was mainly into Marvel, DC & Image related comics. But frankly I got sick of the constant reboots & universe wide crossovers both Marvel & DC do - that doesn't even touch on the "lets-change-or-replace-core-characters-with-other-characters" thing they are doing (Don't get me on America & Squirrel Girls comics). So I was looking for new Super Hero comics & saw that my local library & they have a number of Valiant titles in GN form.

I picked up "The Valiant" following the advice on the Valiant site start here page, from there I moved to Bloodshot Reborn, the 2012 Bloodshot, Book of Death & now Ninjak. I'll be reading Rai, X-O Manowar & the Armor Hunters Deluxe collection. I did try Archer & Armstrong but wasn't interested at the time to continue. I'll likely go through the Shadowman saga if I get enough gift cards for Yule this year.

So far I am loving Bloodshot, I have high hopes for both Rai & Ninjak. I also am looking forward to reading the new X-O Manowar, Wrath of the Eternal Warrior & upcoming Shadowman reboot. The only book I'll likely not read is Faith & possibly Ivar, that is up in the air.

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Re: My Valiant Story

Post by jmatt »

Welcome to the board!

bobby97801
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Favorite character: X-O Manowar

Post by bobby97801 »

Welcome :thumb:

Summydad1
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: X-O/Bloodshot/Ninjak/Rai
Favorite title: X-O (2012)/Harby (2012)
Favorite writer: Kindt/Venditti/Dysart
Favorite artist: BWS/Braithwaite/Crain

Post by Summydad1 »

Welcome. You are gonna enjoy the 2012 X-O manowar. Also, give the 2012 Harbinger a try. Very well written.
"Do. Or do not. There is no try" -Yoda

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

Welcome! I like your user name. Very Anglo-Saxon.

Wodwulf Seaxaning

Thank you all. I'll try Harbinger soon & I am sure I'll like the 2012 X-O Manowar.

Yes the name is Anglo-Saxon, most of my Heritage from England (mainly southern England & lower central England) & I am studying Anglo-Saxon Heathenry; which is why I chose the nick.

TheeBaldMoose
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

You'll never be too late to the party, as long as you pick them up and read them! Welcome to the pages, this is a great community, one I cherish. I hope you do too!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Moose

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

Wodwulf Seaxaning wrote:Thank you all. I'll try Harbinger soon & I am sure I'll like the 2012 X-O Manowar.

Yes the name is Anglo-Saxon, most of my Heritage from England (mainly southern England & lower central England) & I am studying Anglo-Saxon Heathenry; which is why I chose the nick.
I have informally studied Anglo-Saxon. I took the name Wulfgar for myself and gave my wife the name Eadgyfu. She uses that as a username on some websites sometimes. My heritage comes from further north, in Northumbria. I understand that they traced my family name to a cottage near the English/Scottish border. I might like to go there someday. We have talked about going to Wales to take a short course on the Welsh language, that might be such an opportunity.

Wodwulf Seaxaning

I plan to study Anglo-Saxon language & would love to travel to England, especially the lands that used to be Sussex, Wessex & Mercia.

geocarr
Those responsible for those remarks have been sacked.
Those responsible for those remarks have been sacked.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Vincent the Goat!
Favorite title: All of them!

Post by geocarr »

Welcome to the board! Hopefully more people will tire of DC and Marvel for the same reasons and try Valiant. I was just talking to a VEI rep two days ago about pushing a starter set of trades in more public libraries. :thumb:
***Support your local farmers!***

Ricomortis
lookin pu nub in all da wong pwaces
lookin pu nub in all da wong pwaces
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Shadowman - Harada
Favorite title: Imperium
Favorite writer: Dysart & Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Larosa, Henry & CAFU

Post by Ricomortis »

Welcome... Glad you finally made it! Lol

Definitely give IVAR a shot... It was brilliant...

After 2012 Harbinger... Read Imperium... Very very good.

Enjoy!

Rico

Check out my Gallery for this year: A year in the life of Ricomortis (2018) http://www.valiantfans.com/forum/viewto ... 35&t=50927" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Check out my Gallery for last year: "A year in the life of Ricomortis (2017)" http://www.valiantfans.com/forum/viewto ... 6#p1056798" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Wodwulf Seaxaning

geocarr wrote:Welcome to the board! Hopefully more people will tire of DC and Marvel for the same reasons and try Valiant. I was just talking to a VEI rep two days ago about pushing a starter set of trades in more public libraries. :thumb:
Libraries are a boon, if it wasn't for them I'd not have started reading Valiant comics & definitely be ordering 4 trades I am from amazon, one being the pre-order for Bloodshot Salvation. DC & Marvel just annoy me. I wanted to give their reboots a try but just can't do it. I'd rather read Valiant or various independents & manga than the Big 2.

Wodwulf Seaxaning

Ricomortis wrote:Welcome... Glad you finally made it! Lol

Definitely give IVAR a shot... It was brilliant...

After 2012 Harbinger... Read Imperium... Very very good.

Enjoy!

Rico
Rico, I'll be starting Harbinger very soon, I got to wait till vol 2 of the GNs comes in when I send out my order this week. After that I'll read Imperium. I'll likely read Ivar & the eternal Warrior GNs as well. Again thank you all for the kind welcome.

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

Wodwulf Seaxaning wrote:
geocarr wrote:Welcome to the board! Hopefully more people will tire of DC and Marvel for the same reasons and try Valiant. I was just talking to a VEI rep two days ago about pushing a starter set of trades in more public libraries. :thumb:
Libraries are a boon, if it wasn't for them I'd not have started reading Valiant comics & definitely be ordering 4 trades I am from amazon, one being the pre-order for Bloodshot Salvation. DC & Marvel just annoy me. I wanted to give their reboots a try but just can't do it. I'd rather read Valiant or various independents & manga than the Big 2.
A little late, but welcome!

I had a stretch of time where I was really flat broke & barely affording the cost of living - finding comic book trades at a nearby library was a life saver for a couple years there!

I've been out on Marvel superhero stuff since they did the Marvel NOW marketing push (about 5 years ago), and nothing I've seen since has managed to convince me to go back to them. Other than the new Star Wars books for a while, & a copy of XMen #600 (which was not entertaining at all).

Valiant has been my go-to superhero universe to scratch that itch since they came back. I haven't entirely been enjoying this past year's worth of selections as much as previous years, but it's generally still a better choice than Marvel or DC!
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DirtbagSailor
I only know how to fish, f^%k, fight, and throw rocks
I only know how to fish, f^%k, fight, and throw rocks
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Harada
Favorite title: Imperium

Post by DirtbagSailor »

Welcome! Good to have you here. :clap: