TheRomaineKing
Working on the first full appearance of me
Valiant fan since: 2021
Favorite character: Undecided
Favorite title: Been liking Magnus sofar
My Valiant Comics Origin

Post by TheRomaineKing »

Hello there, this is a bit overdue. I'm newish here, I actually made this account a few months back. Life though has been ups and downs so I didn't have the time to post, but it's a bit more settled now so here goes.

I've always been a comic reader since I was a kid in the 90s. I've absorbed Marvel (Mostly Spider-Man, Daredevil, Defenders, X-Men, and Wolverine), DC (Mostly all Batman, and a smattering of other characters here and there), Image Comics (Not everything, there is just too much stuff with varying levels of quality) and loads of stand alone graphic novels over the years. It was always on my to do list to look into the Valiant line of comics, but I had no clue what to start with as this company is seemingly always being rebooted, and I kept having differing opinions all over the internet saying what was the best starting point so I just decided not to bother.

Then last year I was at a flea market and came across a booth selling basically junk of all varying quality, but one thing in particular caught my eye and that was a beat up dirty box under a tacky gold vase. It read "Old Comics 30 dollars", I opened and there was loads of stuff stacks on stacks of titles, lots of it was really worse for wear so I haggled and got the whole thing for like 22 dollars I think.

Anyway when I got it back home under the initial smattering of 90s Wizard mags, DC comics, and Image stuff. I saw the first issue of Solar, and just wow did the cover look dope in person. Like even with the rips and the questionable stains on it, the cover got me (Love me some Barry Windsor-Smith). I dug deeper and found more Solar, Magnus, Turok, X-O Manowar, Shadowman, Rai, and Bloodshot. (All of these titles had multiple issues, and I just had single issues of Harbinger, Ninjak, Eternal Warrior, and Archer & Armstrong in the box). It's like the world was telling me "This is where you start", since then I've been reading loads of Solar, and Magnus. I've really been loving them, from the story work to the dialogue, to the amazing connectedness of it all. I genuinely can't sing the praises of Magnus enough, the attention to detail in it to make it feel like a proper follow up to its old original series (Which I am reading bits of online, along with a few issues of Magnus and Solar I'm missing from what I have here). Just this stuff is great, and all kind of makes sense why knowing Jim Shooter helped start all this. Given what I've read about him over the years and his work ethic, it's honestly made for so far a great reading experience. Not that it's all just him I'm sure, but his name I recognize most writer wise so far (I'm also trash with names though, and memory so yeah). Seriously can't get enough of this world though, and I had to find a place to talk about it as I read along so here I am happily.

All that said I have lots of questions for you all being a newbie to this hidden gem of a comic universe. Like is there an exact proper reading order for this universe? What's all the VH1, VH2, and V other talk? Are there trades of works, cuz I'd love to have quality collections as opposed to these sub par dirty back issues? Also when do I read the #0 issues? Turok is a comic, I thought it was just a video game my cousin played on N64? haha I have tons more, but I don't want to bog down this post too much. If any of you wanna message me answers or like link me topics that answer my queries I'm here for it, just my time is limited (Factory Work life) so I lack the ability to spend hours hunting through forum backlogs properly. I wish I had the time I did when I was in high school.

This is all mad exciting, and I can't wait to talk with you all as I get deeper into this all. Thanks for having this forum exist, and see you all around the forum! :)

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.
Re: My Valiant Comics Origin

Post by nycjadie »

Welcome to the club!

magnusr
I would hang a left...
I would hang a left...

Post by magnusr »

Welcome!
TheRomaineKing wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 6:12:02 pm is there an exact proper reading order for this universe?
I think it's easiest to read by publishing date, but others have suggested for instance chronological order. Search for "reading order" and you find some good posts without having to go through too much.
What's all the VH1, VH2, and V other talk?
Simply put VH1 is early 90s Valiant, VH2 is most of Acclaim, VH3 is the last few Acclaim issues and VEI is modern Valiant.
Are there trades of works, cuz I'd love to have quality collections as opposed to these sub par dirty back issues?
Sure someone will dig up a complete list. First Valiant published a few trades. VEI published trades for pretty much everything and also deluxe collections of comics both from their own period and from the old periods.
Also when do I read the #0 issues?
Not an easy question, actually...
Turok is a comic, I thought it was just a video game my cousin played on N64?
And now you got into the Gold Key comics. Turok, Solar and Magnus used to be published by Gold Key and were licenced by Valiant. Turok first appeared in Four Color Comics issues 596 and 656, so his first own comic was Turok, Son of Stone 3.

/Magnus

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

If you can decipher what's going on with the format, this will print on just one page of paper, and it provides the order the books were released (and a few other details).

http://valiant101.com/valiant1991to2002.pdf

greg
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

greg wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 9:05:59 am If you can decipher what's going on with the format, this will print on just one page of paper, and it provides the order the books were released (and a few other details).

...and if you print it out, grab some scissors, and line up the gray bar with dates, you can get this...
valiant1990s_timeline_long.png
valiant1990s_timeline_long.png (147.8 KiB) Viewed 912 times

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

Welcome to the boards!
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

TheRomaineKing

Post by TheRomaineKing »

nycjadie wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:41:03 am Welcome to the club!
Thanks, I'm super happy to be apart of the Valiant Club!
greg wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 9:05:59 am If you can decipher what's going on with the format, this will print on just one page of paper, and it provides the order the books were released (and a few other details).

Oh man, thank you very much. This is super helpful, saves me time looking each issue up for release dates proper. I'll give this a download and print it off after work. So big ups to you sir!!
lorddunlow wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 6:54:22 pm Welcome to the boards!
Thank you, glad to be here!

TheRomaineKing

Post by TheRomaineKing »

magnusr wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 4:48:07 am Welcome!

Thank you for the welcome Magnus, digging your series at the moment by the way. :D

Big thank you for answering every single one of my questions individually, I appreciate it. I think I'll stick with Publishing date for reading order, but I'll for sure take a look into Chronological Order for a possible reread just for the fun of reading the titles like that to see how consistent they are with each other overtime.

Also good to now know what all the VH stuff is. So I'm assuming then all the VH worlds bleed into each other, or are they just slightly connected? Or should I just stop asking and get to reading and find out for myself? haha

I'll look into the old Valiant trades to see what I can find, I read somewhere about some trades existing with short story material from old Valiant included in. I believe it was just for X-O, Harbinger, and now I'm blanking on the third. Would those be a good get? I will also look at the old collections that have been released. I don't want to touch the VEI stuff until I've gone through all classic material, so I can compare to what they have done better or worse. I'm assuming the VEI stuff is like a reboot.

I shall read the 0 issues by pub date then. haha

I'm loving Magnus and Solar, haven't touched Turok yet but I will soon. Appreciate the insight. Also even the classic Magnus stuff has been great for it's time, if a bit repetitive but really not to bad at all.

Again thanks for the reply and answers bro!

magnusr
I would hang a left...
I would hang a left...

Post by magnusr »

TheRomaineKing wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:03:56 am Thank you for the welcome Magnus, digging your series at the moment by the way. :D
:lol: :thumb:
Big thank you for answering every single one of my questions individually, I appreciate it.
My pleasure. And here I go again :)
So I'm assuming then all the VH worlds bleed into each other, or are they just slightly connected?
VH2 was quite different from VH1. VEI kind of combined the best from both.
I read somewhere about some trades existing with short story material from old Valiant included in. I believe it was just for X-O, Harbinger, and now I'm blanking on the third.
Harbinger: The Beginning, X-O Manowar: Birth and Archer & Armstrong: First Impressions. Those were a bit special. They were VEI reprinting some of the very best from old VH1 (with added new short stories) before the new VEI universe was launched.
I'm assuming the VEI stuff is like a reboot.
Yes, it is.

You have lots of good reading in front of you. Enjoy!

/Magnus

Ryan
Clinkin' bottles with Aram

Post by Ryan »

TheRomaineKing wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 6:12:02 pmsince then I've been reading loads of Solar, and Magnus. I've really been loving them, from the story work to the dialogue, to the amazing connectedness of it all. I genuinely can't sing the praises of Magnus enough, the attention to detail in it to make it feel like a proper follow up to its old original series
Welcome, those early issues are excellent and one of the main reasons the fandom still exists. Since you mention the early Magnus and Solar issues and the attention to detail as something you like, it's only fair to warn you that it doesn't stay consistent throughout the entire run of Valiant.

To keep the explanation simple, a year and a half after the start of Valiant there's a line-wide crossover Unity you've probably heard. That's the point when Shooter leaves the company and for most fans this separates the original Valiant run of comics into pre-Unity and post-Unity. There are many good and great comics made after Unity (post-Unity), but the tight writing and attention to detail is most prevelant in those early 1991 and 92 comics.

The farther you get from 91 the less Valiant like a well written sci-fi universe and more like typical Marvel and Image comics of the times. Not necessarily bad, just different from where they started.

Since the entire Valiant line ended in 96 there have been various attempts to revive the characters, usually not using the continuity from the original Valiant line, thus the various VH2, VH3, etc.
TheRomaineKing wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 6:12:02 pm All that said I have lots of questions for you all being a newbie to this hidden gem of a comic universe. Like is there an exact proper reading order for this universe? What's all the VH1, VH2, and V other talk? Are there trades of works, cuz I'd love to have quality collections as opposed to these sub par dirty back issues? Also when do I read the #0 issues?
Personally, I think the original comic issues are the best way to read them. The colors and the paper are the best. Ebay lots are usually pretty cheap, but of course the earliest and best issues can still be pricey I think.

Harbinger: Children of the Eighth Day tpb from 1992 can be found for very cheap online and collects Harbinger 1-4, some of the best and most expensive Valiant issues that exist. I would stay away from the newer collections, the blurry scans and bad digital recoloring really butcher the art (IMO) and the new short stories don't add much.

TheRomaineKing

Post by TheRomaineKing »

magnusr wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 1:03:53 pm You have lots of good reading in front of you. Enjoy!

/Magnus
So VH2 is like a semi reboot, and VEI is like a proper years later rebooted blended concoction? Got it, I'll read all the VH stuff then dive in for the VEI stuff later to see how well it mixes and matches. Luckily my local library has a few trades of those characters, so once I get through the VHs whenever that may be I'll check those out and read them. I'm assuming that will be publish date order for it too? haha

Well I think I'll try hunting those three Paperbacks down, for the little bit extra of this VH1 universe goodness. Also just to have something like that as a piece of history, reprints by a new company of old material before that company even makes new material. It all just sounds cool even talking about it.

I will enjoy this reading for sure, thanks again Magnus. See you round the board I'm sure!!

TheRomaineKing

Post by TheRomaineKing »

Ryan wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 1:56:54 pm Welcome, those early issues are excellent and one of the main reasons the fandom still exists. Since you mention the early Magnus and Solar issues and the attention to detail as something you like, it's only fair to warn you that it doesn't stay consistent throughout the entire run of Valiant.

To keep the explanation simple, a year and a half after the start of Valiant there's a line-wide crossover Unity you've probably heard. That's the point when Shooter leaves the company and for most fans this separates the original Valiant run of comics into pre-Unity and post-Unity. There are many good and great comics made after Unity (post-Unity), but the tight writing and attention to detail is most prevelant in those early 1991 and 92 comics.

The farther you get from 91 the less Valiant like a well written sci-fi universe and more like typical Marvel and Image comics of the times. Not necessarily bad, just different from where they started.

Since the entire Valiant line ended in 96 there have been various attempts to revive the characters, usually not using the continuity from the original Valiant line, thus the various VH2, VH3, etc.
Thanks for the welcome Ryan the Fanzine master!

That's a shame to hear the consistency doesn't stick around for long, because it is really damn good so far. Like I don't think I've ever read interconnecting titles that were this consistent with one another ever. Even some novel series I've read from one individual haven't been as consistent with each other like these comics have with one another. I guess that is a true testament to Jim I suppose. I won't mind the Marvel/Image comics feel too much, but it will be a bit of a step down in some ways to what I'm getting currently from the comics now.

Also thank you, now I properly understand the pre and post Unity thing I saw cropping up on a lot of Google searches I did prior to joining this forum. Also that is a solid explanation of all the VH stuff, so I appreciate that. Knowledge is power, and this thread is giving me loads of knowledge thanks to all you lot posting.
Ryan wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 1:56:54 pm Personally, I think the original comic issues are the best way to read them. The colors and the paper are the best. Ebay lots are usually pretty cheap, but of course the earliest and best issues can still be pricey I think.

Harbinger: Children of the Eighth Day tpb from 1992 can be found for very cheap online and collects Harbinger 1-4, some of the best and most expensive Valiant issues that exist. I would stay away from the newer collections, the blurry scans and bad digital recoloring really butcher the art (IMO) and the new short stories don't add much.
I'll try hunting down and collecting some better single issues and maybe build a long box collection, but I do also like the ease of having trades. I don't know though. I'm sure single issue collection would be best given what I've seen some topics say about issues from multiple titles bleeding into one another. So maybe I'll get some trades, and single issues as well.

Also big ups for the warning of the newer collections. I didn't even think to worry about them being blurry scans with poor recoloring, but like I mean if Marvel and DC do it like that why would I expect a smaller company to not do the same. I really hate cheap reprinting and digital coloring ignoring the original printings color greatness. Stuff like that is what pushed me to start buying old Marvel issues from way back to actually see what colors they were, and now I've built an okay collection. The issues aren't great quality, because I don't have loads of money but at least I've got some issues I like with their original looks intact.

All and all thanks Ryan!! 🙂

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

TheRomaineKing wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 4:45:40 pm I'll try hunting down and collecting some better single issues and maybe build a long box collection, but I do also like the ease of having trades. I don't know though. I'm sure single issue collection would be best given what I've seen some topics say about issues from multiple titles bleeding into one another. So maybe I'll get some trades, and single issues as well.

Also big ups for the warning of the newer collections. I didn't even think to worry about them being blurry scans with poor recoloring, but like I mean if Marvel and DC do it like that why would I expect a smaller company to not do the same. I really hate cheap reprinting and digital coloring ignoring the original printings color greatness. Stuff like that is what pushed me to start buying old Marvel issues from way back to actually see what colors they were, and now I've built an okay collection. The issues aren't great quality, because I don't have loads of money but at least I've got some issues I like with their original looks intact.

All and all thanks Ryan!! 🙂
No problem, a few quick caveats, these are of course just my opinions and everyone on here came into Valiant at different times and might have very different feelings about the different eras.

I don't want to dissuade you from reading post-Unity, there's still a lot of really good stuff. The way that I think of it is that pre-Unity (and Unity) is like a very well written sci-fi superhero novel, it tells a very coherent and excellent, exciting story. Post-Unity becomes like a really good action movie or action tv series. There are some plot holes and not everything makes total sense if you think about it too much, but still very enjoyable for the most part. Then the later part of post-Unity (1995-96) is when it becomes more like Image or a bad action movie. Huge plot holes, some total silliness and sloppiness, but also enjoyable if you love the characters and turn your brain off sometimes.

One more thing, the recolored hardcover collections that I'm talking about came out in like 2010, those are the ones I would avoid. There might have been some more recent collections that do a better job at reprinting the older comics without altering them, maybe someone else would know more details.

Just keep reading and posting your thoughts, the Valiant fans on here are the best. New fans are the lifeblood of any fandom, glad you've discovered it!