WTS: Spawn #222 CGC 9.4 Kudranski Variant -$1000.00

Non-VALIANT items for sale, trade, or wanted.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

longshot975
Working on the first full appearance of me
Working on the first full appearance of me
WTS: Spawn #222 CGC 9.4 Kudranski Variant -$1000.00

Post by longshot975 »

This is a copy of the Ultra Rare variant that supposedly only has a print run of 400 copies in existence. I would not be selling but have had some major car repairs that have had to be done so am going to have to part with some of the stuff from my personal collections. If you do a search on Ebay you will see that only two copies of this book have shown up and sold in the past 90 days on Ebay and they were 9.8 copies ranging from $1999.00 to $1500.00 so this should show you how a rare of a gem this would be for any collection, including a non spawn collector.

Item ships securely and via priority mail with extra insurance as well as signature delivery required. If you have any questions please feel free to Email me.(Currently only shipping to US Addresses)

possumgrease
I had the 1,000,000th post on this board and all I got was this lousy custom ranking.
I had the 1,000,000th post on this board and all I got was this lousy custom ranking.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Re: WTS: Spawn #222 CGC 9.4 Kudranski Variant -$1000.00

Post by possumgrease »

I'm curious to know whether you were able to sell this and, if so, for what price.

I coincidentally picked up a copy of this variant at a comic shop located in the riverside mall in New Orleans. Just sitting in a rack all by itself. It was already pretty bang up when I got it and then it spent an afternoon of NOLA debauchery before I finally got it back to the hotel room. Yes. I am still talking about the variant comic.

Anyway, if it is truly as rare as they say, I may still send it in for grading. Surely Spawn will have a rebirth some day although I think we are blowing past the 25 year rule for nostalgia.

greatbrandino11
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Favorite character: Peter Stanchek (Sting)
Favorite title: Harbinger

Post by greatbrandino11 »

possumgrease wrote:I'm curious to know whether you were able to sell this and, if so, for what price.

I coincidentally picked up a copy of this variant at a comic shop located in the riverside mall in New Orleans. Just sitting in a rack all by itself. It was already pretty bang up when I got it and then it spent an afternoon of NOLA debauchery before I finally got it back to the hotel room. Yes. I am still talking about the variant comic.

Anyway, if it is truly as rare as they say, I may still send it in for grading. Surely Spawn will have a rebirth some day although I think we are blowing past the 25 year rule for nostalgia.
The answer to your question is, yes, it is as rare as they say. I'm not sure on the exact amount produced but I have seen the number 400 come up consistently when this book has been discussed. If it's as beat up as you say, I'm not sure it is worth your time submitting for grading. If you are looking to sell, it may actually hurt your chances on maximizing your profit. It may be in your best interest to take detailed pictures of the book, let others decide on the grade, and place on the auction block. FYI...a CGC 9.6 is on the auction block right now on eBay and ends in a few days. It will give you an idea on what the book is worth.
"When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth."

vikingspawn
Clinkin' bottles with Aram

Post by vikingspawn »

I picked a copy weeks after it was released from my comic shop years back. It was a friday night and I saw 1 lone copy of sitting on the shelf of the previous month's releases. Nobody noticed it. I calmly picked it up and took it to the girl cashier who I knew had no idea what it was. I put the comic in between 2 spawn books which were also 2.99 cover price as I was next in line. She rang up my stack fast. I quietly walked to my car and pulled out the comic from the bag and couldn't believe it. :D

What makes that purchase especially great was I had actually asked for this variant issue the previous month before and one of the snooty twink employees there said it was sold out at the time for 80 bucks at the time. He was one of the most obnoxious comic people i've seen and always gave me snarky attitude every time I would ask for a variant or whenever I would buy doubles of a book. I think in a way he gave me luck in finding it though for cheap. :clap:

greatbrandino11
Favorite character: Peter Stanchek (Sting)
Favorite title: Harbinger

Post by greatbrandino11 »

vikingspawn wrote:I picked a copy weeks after it was released from my comic shop years back. It was a friday night and I saw 1 lone copy of sitting on the shelf of the previous month's releases. Nobody noticed it. I calmly picked it up and took it to the girl cashier who I knew had no idea what it was. I put the comic in between 2 spawn books which were also 2.99 cover price as I was next in line. She rang up my stack fast. I quietly walked to my car and pulled out the comic from the bag and couldn't believe it. :D

What makes that purchase especially great was I had actually asked for this variant issue the previous month before and one of the snooty twink employees there said it was sold out at the time for 80 bucks at the time. He was one of the most obnoxious comic people i've seen and always gave me snarky attitude every time I would ask for a variant or whenever I would buy doubles of a book. I think in a way he gave me luck in finding it though for cheap. :clap:
Nice pick up...especially for $2.99. If you want to be banned from the store, you should take it back in there and see how much they'd offer for it. Whatever they offer, decline it, and say you'll hang on to it for that price. End it with, after all, I got it in here for $2.99.
"When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth."

vikingspawn

Post by vikingspawn »

greatbrandino11 wrote:
vikingspawn wrote:I picked a copy weeks after it was released from my comic shop years back. It was a friday night and I saw 1 lone copy of sitting on the shelf of the previous month's releases. Nobody noticed it. I calmly picked it up and took it to the girl cashier who I knew had no idea what it was. I put the comic in between 2 spawn books which were also 2.99 cover price as I was next in line. She rang up my stack fast. I quietly walked to my car and pulled out the comic from the bag and couldn't believe it. :D

Nice pick up...especially for $2.99. If you want to be banned from the store, you should take it back in there and see how much they'd offer for it. Whatever they offer, decline it, and say you'll hang on to it for that price. End it with, after all, I got it in here for $2.99.
Even though it would be fun to rub it into one particular employee's face there, I wouldn't waste my time trying to sell to them or other comic shops in my area. One time I took a huge heavy stack of DC hardcovers to sell/trade to them and it was at least $350 by cover price alone. The store employee of the morning there offered to buy my stack for $20 bucks. Or $25 store credit. That was insulting enough to hear so I kept the books. I know shops are hurting but my local ones just lowball people about as bad as a pawn shop. Or they wait for stuff that's unloaded to them for free. Even the process of explaining how rare a book or variant to them is wasting breath. I think I got lucky because not many people are buying Spawn. Whoever restocked books that night must have looked at how high the issue number was, it wasn't a variant sketch cover, so they treated it as a regular monthly issue. I forgot what the ratio per store this variant was.