Silver Surfer vol 1 #3 CGC 8.0 | 1st Mephisto

Non-VALIANT items for sale, trade, or wanted.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

IMJ
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O Manowar #1
Favorite character: VH1 Sting | VH2 Rai
Favorite title: VH2 Rai
Favorite writer: Kurt Busiek
Favorite artist: Sean Chen
Silver Surfer vol 1 #3 CGC 8.0 | 1st Mephisto

Post by IMJ »

1st Mephisto!
Now listed in the W1C store - $2499.95
But if PM me here, it's cheaper......

IMJ
Re: Silver Surfer vol 1 #3 CGC 8.0 | 1st Mephisto

Post by IMJ »

Price reduced!

$2099.95 shipped OR $2049.95 with no-fee payment like PP F&F DM here if interested.

magnus20009
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by magnus20009 »

Wow :o

The first appearance of Mephisto goes for that in 8.0.

It wasn't that many years ago when I was selling off my Marvel slabs I sold my 9.2 for $253 :!: :censored: facepalm
(I just looked it up to see how badly I did).

IMJ

Post by IMJ »

magnus20009 wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:58:59 am Wow :o

The first appearance of Mephisto goes for that in 8.0.

It wasn't that many years ago when I was selling off my Marvel slabs I sold my 9.2 for $253 :!: :censored: facepalm
(I just looked it up to see how badly I did).
Books increase in price over the years. That's why the tried and true "buy what you love" thing never fails as opposed to speculator collecting. When you buy what you love, values just creep up on you and you don't watch it because you own what you love. When it's time to get rid of something you can sort of "just do it".

Many of you probably won't remember but I've had a small "Bring on the bad guys" collecting focus for years now. This was part of that some time back.

The problem nowadays is that everyone is too focused on screen appearances instead of looking at greater key books. This book is a greater Marvel key. But people simply follow the screen hype like it's the new Picks From the WIzard's Hat. It's like a heuristic for comics that is easier to do than using your brain to look at years of patterns and appearances.

magnus20009
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by magnus20009 »

I do buy what I love - that's why I have a complete run of VH1 raw and about 75% in CGC 9.8 and a crazy amount of VEI books raw and 600+ slabbed. I've never speculated in comics - if I was I certainly would not be so into Valiant.

I had a set of 1961-65 Mavels in CGC 8.0 and many 1966-69 in CGC 9.2. I sold them all off one day a few years ago as I decided they were just taking up space and I didn't love them. Yes I knew most would go up in value as they always have and many of the books appreciated in a fairly constant straight line like Hulk 1, ASM1, etc. A few books jumped spectacularly like FF52 but I never expected SS 3 would be one of them. Only books I slightly regret selling was ASM 1-50 and Avengers 1. The rest I do not miss.

Good luck with the sale. I assume it is hot right now because of Wandavision.

IMJ

Post by IMJ »

magnus20009 wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:20:28 pm Good luck with the sale. I assume it is hot right now because of Wandavision.
Exactly. Buy what you love, but sell during the speculation. ;)

IMJ

Post by IMJ »

IMJ

Post by IMJ »

This book has sold, but as a point of conversation there are two sides to the debate about this book that I'm seeing on social media and both are absolutely ridiculous.

The first is the over speculation and pouring in because of a possible on-screen appearance.
The second is slamming the people who poured in now that Mephisto never appeared. I saw one guy on social media commenting that "you did this to yourselves! HA!"

A lot of people in the hobby right now have lost sight of what the comics are. The universe building, the story history, the characters that have continued over time and shown temporal fortitude in reuse, reinvention or even in their base thesis. This book is a greater Marvel key forever, regardless of whether or not Mephisto appears on screen. It's absolutely ridiculous that something like Avengers West Coast #45 is actually looked upon like a better opportunity than a true, hobby-wide super key like Iron Man #55. And head's up to anyone who sees this as an opportunity to explain that "Thanos is dead and may not appear on screen again while there is hope for Mephisto" clearly doesn't understand and is part of the problem. :)

People have always made book picks based on some kind of hype of course. We all saw it once a month back in the day with the "Picks From the Wizards Hat" - but it was never this bad and never created such an obtuse fandom. Or maybe it did, but we didn't have social media to reflect the mentality through?

More and more I'm refining my own collection to go back to my earliest days of posting here where it's pure focus on what I love while reducing anything that falls more than 2 degrees outside of that range.

magnus20009
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by magnus20009 »

I think we are close to the peak bubble that sports card and comics experienced in the early 90's and we all know how that turned out. I collected West Coast Avengers as they came out, read them and still have my full fun run and I had to google to see what made issue 45 so special.

I think major keys will do well but I think the wheels will fall off most everything else just like they did 25 years ago. You can still find plenty of the Wizard top 10 books in dollar bins today. I am really curious to see how things are with Variant covers in 10-15 years time as there are way too many of them for people to keep track of today. I try and collect as many Valiant covers as I can but I can't imaging say in 2030 someone deciding to enter the hobby and get every different VEI cover for example.

IMJ

Post by IMJ »

magnus20009 wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:39:35 pm I think we are close to the peak bubble that sports card and comics experienced in the early 90's and we all know how that turned out. I collected West Coast Avengers as they came out, read them and still have my full fun run and I had to google to see what made issue 45 so special.

I think major keys will do well but I think the wheels will fall off most everything else just like they did 25 years ago. You can still find plenty of the Wizard top 10 books in dollar bins today. I am really curious to see how things are with Variant covers in 10-15 years time as there are way too many of them for people to keep track of today. I try and collect as many Valiant covers as I can but I can't imaging say in 2030 someone deciding to enter the hobby and get every different VEI cover for example.
I'm not sure if I've said this here on the forums before or not, but as far as variant covers go - I can see the ratio books having real legs somewhere down the road. It will be helpful if, by that time, the collecting population outnumbers the print runs of many of those ratio books. But on that note, print runs are down like crazy everywhere. And so that should paint a picture of what the ratio book market will show as far as availability.

I say this for a few reasons. Even if the collecting cohort continues to shrink, that only means that the remaining collectors will become more discerning, which means that low print run books of today will be available like regular back issues while quality ratio books will have a substantially reduced footprint. And this works even if, by some strange chance, pop culture turns towards comics again in twenty years and people pour in.

Basically ratio books are currently akin to what many of us say about the Savage Dragon. If attention ever turns towards those books, then watch out because everyone one of them is going through the roof, price-wise.