Quick access to important topics since 2004

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.
Re: Key Valiant Entertainment Issues

Post by grendeljd »

greg wrote:
depluto wrote:Roger that. But it looks to me like that kid will be the current Geomancer going forward.
Yes, and who knows how long... that kid is from at least 1,000 years in the future... so the Earth has already chosen them for a future role, is this an "immortal" Geomancer?
*So* much potential storyline for this character - will she live out her time in the present day to save it? Will she stay only until another modern Geomancer is chosen again, however long that takes? (Buck was a very long-lived Geomancer, so while maybe not immortal, they can be around for a long stretch)

If she only stays until another is chosen, will she then be sent back to her time in the future to carry on her destined role there? Or will her presence in the here-and-now affect the future in a way as equally bad for it as would have happened now without her?

:hm:
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ricomortis
lookin pu nub in all da wong pwaces
Favorite character: Shadowman - Harada
Favorite title: Imperium
Favorite writer: Dysart & Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Larosa, Henry & CAFU

Post by Ricomortis »

grendeljd wrote:
greg wrote:
depluto wrote:Roger that. But it looks to me like that kid will be the current Geomancer going forward.
Yes, and who knows how long... that kid is from at least 1,000 years in the future... so the Earth has already chosen them for a future role, is this an "immortal" Geomancer?
*So* much potential storyline for this character - will she live out her time in the present day to save it? Will she stay only until another modern Geomancer is chosen again, however long that takes? (Buck was a very long-lived Geomancer, so while maybe not immortal, they can be around for a long stretch)

If she only stays until another is chosen, will she then be sent back to her time in the future to carry on her destined role there? Or will her presence in the here-and-now affect the future in a way as equally bad for it as would have happened now without her?

:hm:
Personally...

I don't think Kay is dead.

The Nanites are going to repair her.

Why didn't EW get another mark in some way if she died?

I know there is somewhere that Dino asked "are you sure Kay is dead?

:?

Check out my Gallery for this year: A year in the life of Ricomortis (2018) http://www.valiantfans.com/forum/viewto ... 35&t=50927" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Check out my Gallery for last year: "A year in the life of Ricomortis (2017)" http://www.valiantfans.com/forum/viewto ... 6#p1056798" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DirtbagSailor
I only know how to fish, f^%k, fight, and throw rocks
I only know how to fish, f^%k, fight, and throw rocks
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Harada

Post by DirtbagSailor »

Ricomortis wrote:Personally...

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

grendeljd wrote:
Elveen wrote:
depluto wrote:BTW, I have been loading up on books that have VEI first apps that weren't in VH1, especially Divinity, new Geomancers, Kay McHenry (doh!), Darpan and Gravedog. Do we have a good list of those somewhere?
I posted one somewhere.
I'd add livewire (the VEI version is totally different) and maybe Ion and Hidden moon.
Don't forget the Monk, the vine and Shan.
And most importantly, Cronos.

I think all of these will be movie characters.
Dude.

If your namesake character makes it to The Big Screen...

Move over 'Hollywood' Sean, "It's Hollywood Elveen, everybody!" :D

Not "if".

grendeljd
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

DirtbagSailor wrote:

DBS - :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ricomortis - great theory on a possible nanite resurrection. Not sure the lack of marking Gilad matters so much, but I like your thinking. :thumb:
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

Elveen wrote:
grendeljd wrote:
Elveen wrote:
depluto wrote:BTW, I have been loading up on books that have VEI first apps that weren't in VH1, especially Divinity, new Geomancers, Kay McHenry (doh!), Darpan and Gravedog. Do we have a good list of those somewhere?
I posted one somewhere.
I'd add livewire (the VEI version is totally different) and maybe Ion and Hidden moon.

Dude.

Not "if".
:lol: Dear lord, can OTV handle The Ego?! Can Valiant Fandom handle it?!! :o

:P :kidaround:

I'm totally kidding, man - it's going to be coolness to an epic degree to see Cronus on screen. And that's sooo awesome for you! :thumb: :clap:

Elveen
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

grendeljd wrote:
Elveen wrote:
grendeljd wrote:
Elveen wrote:
I posted one somewhere.

Dude.

Not "if".
:lol: Dear lord, can OTV handle The Ego?! Can Valiant Fandom handle it?!! :o

:P :kidaround:

I'm totally kidding, man - it's going to be coolness to an epic degree to see Cronus on screen. And that's sooo awesome for you! :thumb: :clap:

It will be mostly cool for all of us. Regardless of his name (or whatever), he is one of VEI's best original characters.

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]
Valiant fan since: Yes
Favorite character: Yes
Favorite title: Yes
Favorite writer: Yes

Post by depluto »

Can't wait for Elveen-Squirt.

Wait, that didn't sound right.

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

depluto wrote:Can't wait for Elveen-Squirt.

Wait, that didn't sound right.
Quoted - so you can't edit. :thumb:

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

grendeljd wrote:*So* much potential storyline for this character - will she live out her time in the present day to save it? Will she stay only until another modern Geomancer is chosen again, however long that takes?
My thinking is that VEI looked at fan reaction to the various incarnations of EW that we've seen, and decided that his issues with a young compatriot (Caroline, his granddaughter) were a good paradigm going forward, hence the new, young Geomancer.

It's a fitting relationship and a great story structure for the property: A timeless warrior who's seen it all mentoring a young, vulnerable sidekick with powers and abilities of her own.

I think this is his new gig.

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

jmatt wrote:
grendeljd wrote:*So* much potential storyline for this character - will she live out her time in the present day to save it? Will she stay only until another modern Geomancer is chosen again, however long that takes?
My thinking is that VEI looked at fan reaction to the various incarnations of EW that we've seen, and decided that his issues with a young compatriot (Caroline, his granddaughter) were a good paradigm going forward, hence the new, young Geomancer.

It's a fitting relationship and a great story structure for the property: A timeless warrior who's seen it all mentoring a young, vulnerable sidekick with powers and abilities of her own.

Agreed - it is a great story template. :thumb:

I'm very curious to see what impact all this will have on his role as a member of Unity...

Ricomortis
Favorite character: Shadowman - Harada
Favorite writer: Dysart & Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Larosa, Henry & CAFU

Post by Ricomortis »

DirtbagSailor wrote:

:lol:

DBS... That is awesome!

Check out my Gallery for this year: A year in the life of Ricomortis (2018) http://www.valiantfans.com/forum/viewto ... 35&t=50927" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Check out my Gallery for last year: "A year in the life of Ricomortis (2017)" http://www.valiantfans.com/forum/viewto ... 6#p1056798" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

grendeljd wrote:
jmatt wrote:

Agreed - it is a great story template. :thumb:
And let's not forget this angle: She's the boss. He does her bidding. So much interaction and character dynamic to be had there as they try to agree on goals and a course of action.

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

Alright, well I caved in and used to proceeds from my 4xDivinty auction to purchase the last 18 copies of Harby #3 and 20 copies of Shadowman #5 from Midtown.

I searched every single big online comics retailer I can think of, and Harbinger #3 is gone. I think there's a single copy at Westfield. I even plowed through a lot of Ebay stores for bigger resellers, couldn't find any.

Impulse Creations
DCBS
Midtown
MileHigh
Westfield
Graham Crackers
Eides
MyComicShop
Hastings
Scotts
Dreamland
Demolition
TFAW
G-Mart (this one's a laugh, the price goes UP with more issues; 1st is 3.99, 2nd is 8.00, third is... lol)
Metropolis
Newkadia
New England Comics (1 copy)
etc etc

kjjohanson
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1
Favorite character: Anon-Lurker
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente

Post by kjjohanson »

jmatt wrote:Alright, well I caved in and used to proceeds from my 4xDivinty auction to purchase the last 18 copies of Harby #3 and 20 copies of Shadowman #5 from Midtown.

I searched every single big online comics retailer I can think of, and Harbinger #3 is gone. I think there's a single copy at Westfield. I even plowed through a lot of Ebay stores for bigger resellers, couldn't find any.
One of the signs of an impending bubble burst is when new speculators enter the market. I know you're a comic fan, but your announcement regarding Divinity a while back is what caught my attention that maybe it's time to start selling. I sold an EW 4 & 5 last week. I think I'm going to slowly start rolling out some of the books that I was saving to sell. One of my Spider-Gwens is probably going up on eBay tomorrow. Infinity Whatevers as well. I may dump my Civil War minis as well and grab a TPB when/if I want to re-read.

I will admit there are still a few books that I've been eyeing which haven't been discussed at all.
If you're not a *SQUEE*, you're okay with me.

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

kjjohanson wrote:One of the signs of an impending bubble burst is when new speculators enter the market. I know you're a comic fan, but your announcement regarding Divinity a while back is what caught my attention that maybe it's time to start selling.
Well, let's acknowledge that today's market isn't one-one thousandth of what it was in the 90s.

Two, others have been buying slabbing and selling VEI stuff since day one. Did the bubble start in 2012? Dino bought like 20 copies of VH1 Harbinger #1 from another board member three months back. Speculator?

And C) The cash infusion and movie announcement make it much less speculative and more 'in the know'. True, speculation, none-the-less.

Ebay is stocked to the gills with people selling books, like say, slabbed copies of New Mutants 98 in anticipation of a Deadpool movie. :P

But I understand what you're saying and don't take offense. I'm excited and just having some fun. I have no doubt that the books will go up and down in price.

kjjohanson

Post by kjjohanson »

jmatt wrote:
kjjohanson wrote:One of the signs of an impending bubble burst is when new speculators enter the market. I know you're a comic fan, but your announcement regarding Divinity a while back is what caught my attention that maybe it's time to start selling.
Well, let's acknowledge that today's market isn't one-one thousandth of what it was in the 90s.

Two, others have been buying slabbing and selling VEI stuff since day one. Did the bubble start in 2012? Dino bought like 20 copies of VH1 Harbinger #1 from another board member three months back. Speculator?

And C) The cash infusion and movie announcement make it much less speculative and more 'in the know'. True, speculation, none-the-less.

Ebay is stocked to the gills with people selling books, like say, slabbed copies of New Mutants 98 in anticipation of a Deadpool movie. :P

But I understand what you're saying and don't take offense. I'm excited and just having some fun. I have no doubt that the books will go up and down in price.
I'm just saying that it's important to recognize the signs. And that I may let one of those Deadpool slabs go a little earlier than I would have just to lock in a profit (on the books and the entire CGC submission that they came from). Also figured I'd mention it for those that might be sitting on books anticipating a huge coming boom. If they're already creeping up, maybe sell enough to cover your costs.

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

kjjohanson wrote: Also figured I'd mention it for those that might be sitting on books anticipating a huge coming boom. If they're already creeping up, maybe sell enough to cover your costs.
That's what I've been doing with the Divinity issues; sold enough to cover my other purchases -- and I did it right away because in 30 days from now the luster will probably be gone until we see him in another book.

My apologies, I took your last post as a criticism of speculation in general. Anything beyond one copy of the regular issue is speculation of sorts. But it's part of what fun about the hobby.

kjjohanson

Post by kjjohanson »

jmatt wrote:
kjjohanson wrote: Also figured I'd mention it for those that might be sitting on books anticipating a huge coming boom. If they're already creeping up, maybe sell enough to cover your costs.
That's what I've been doing with the Divinity issues; sold enough to cover my other purchases -- and I did it right away because in 30 days from now the luster will probably be gone until we see him in another book.

My apologies, I took your last post as a criticism of speculation in general. Anything beyond one copy of the regular issue is speculation of sorts. But it's part of what fun about the hobby.
I think one should respect certain limits. There are people on the CGC boards who will try to go out and grab every copy of a new issue. Doing it that way is similar to ticket scalpers, I think; buying the merchandise before others who want it can get it, and then trying to sell it to them at marked-up prices. Buying back issues that have been available to everyone for some time because you see potential is a different situation.

superman-prime
scratch 1 for the coog guys
scratch 1 for the coog guys

Post by superman-prime »

nice bloodshot :clap: :clap: :clap:

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

kjjohanson wrote:I think one should respect certain limits. There are people on the CGC boards who will try to go out and grab every copy of a new issue. Doing it that way is similar to ticket scalpers, I think; buying the merchandise before others who want it can get it, and then trying to sell it to them at marked-up prices. Buying back issues that have been available to everyone for some time because you see potential is a different situation.
A notion I concur with. On FCBD, my LCS would let me walk out with every Valiant copy if I wanted to (and paid). But I'm more interested in new people getting a chance to taste the magic. So much so, that one more than one occasion I have purchased 20 copies of the $1 Debuts and asked him to put one in the bag of his best customers.

Who would be crazy enough to try to corner the market on a book just hitting the shelf? I mean, it's not possible.

agent_graves
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Valiant fan since: Since VEI(Turok #1?)
Favorite character: Divinity/Shadowman/LiveWire
Favorite title: Divinity/Imperium/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Dysart
Favorite artist: Mann/Cafu/De la Torre

Post by agent_graves »

kjjohanson wrote:
jmatt wrote:

I think one should respect certain limits. There are people on the CGC boards who will try to go out and grab every copy of a new issue. Doing it that way is similar to ticket scalpers, I think; buying the merchandise before others who want it can get it, and then trying to sell it to them at marked-up prices. Buying back issues that have been available to everyone for some time because you see potential is a different situation.
The recent Divinity craze, comes to mind.
#StayValiant

kjjohanson

Post by kjjohanson »

agent_graves wrote:
kjjohanson wrote:
jmatt wrote:

I don't see that that happened. Sure, it's tough now to find one, but at least a few copies made it to the back issue bin at Midtown Times Square. Sure, Midtown orders large volumes of books, but they definitely do sell out of some of the really hot books, and when something gathers steam, they start limiting purchases to a single copy. Divinity didn't really heat up until issue 2 was on the shelf. Whether that was because of the quality, or the movie news drawing in speculators, or some combination (most likely), I can't say, but it was out there to be had (in places where Valiant is easier to find).

agent_graves
Valiant fan since: Since VEI(Turok #1?)
Favorite character: Divinity/Shadowman/LiveWire
Favorite title: Divinity/Imperium/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Dysart
Favorite artist: Mann/Cafu/De la Torre

Post by agent_graves »

kjjohanson wrote:
agent_graves wrote:
kjjohanson wrote:
jmatt wrote:

I don't see that that happened. Sure, it's tough now to find one, but at least a few copies made it to the back issue bin at Midtown Times Square. Sure, Midtown orders large volumes of books, but they definitely do sell out of some of the really hot books, and when something gathers steam, they start limiting purchases to a single copy. Divinity didn't really heat up until issue 2 was on the shelf. Whether that was because of the quality, or the movie news drawing in speculators, or some combination (most likely), I can't say, but it was out there to be had (in places where Valiant is easier to find).
Imo, the quality of the book, it's low print run, and additional printings on #1, is what's got this book hot as fish grease, the book isn't connected to any of the movie news, it's hot on the strength of itself. And while stores like Midtown might of had some issue's to be had early on, that hasn't been the case since issue #2 dropped, the only positive for new readers is, some of them might not care about having a first print, which is good, that way they don't have to pay out the *SQUEE*, on EBay.
#StayValiant

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

agent_graves wrote:Imo, the quality of the book, it's low print run, and additional printings on #1, is what's got this book hot as fish grease, the book isn't connected to any of the movie news, it's hot on the strength of itself.
Two thoughts: One, it's Valiant's first offering with a new title character. Everything else has been a name associated with something from the nineties.

Two, my guess is that many people feel that this will be the 'Solar' style character for the VEI universe... and Solar was one of the VH1 pillars.