Harbinger #1 CGC 9.8s on eBay (past and current auctions)

VALIANT-related items for sale, trade, or wanted.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

BloodShot
Guess I'll have ta' start bein' on here 25 hours a day
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Dude, seriously?
Favorite title: Yer kiddin', right?
Favorite artist: BWS
Harbinger #1 CGC 9.8s on eBay (past and current auctions)

Post by BloodShot »

Anybody notice anything peculiar about this "9.8" copy?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291143688865?ss ... 1423.l2649" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If guns kill people, then spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat :roll: .

mkb28
Honey, it's time to spawn!
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Venditti and Dysart
Re: Harbinger #1 CGC 9.8s on eBay (past and current auctions

Post by mkb28 »

BloodShot wrote:Anybody notice anything peculiar about this "9.8" copy?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291143688865?ss ... 1423.l2649" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It is laying inside a CGC case. Is that what you are referring to?

mkb28

BloodShot
Harbinger #1 CGC 9.8s on eBay (past and current auctions

Post by BloodShot »

mkb28 wrote:

mkb28
Yeah, exactly.

And, so, I shot them a Message as soon as I saw it, thinking it might actually be a CGC 9.8, but not correctly advertised as one.

To wit:

"I hate to admit it, but I'm just a little confused by your listing.
You describe this Harbinger #1 book as being "BAGGED AND BOARDED SINCE PURCHASE", yet the one you have two pictures of is not only not bagged and boarded, but in what appears to be a CGC acrylic case. Is this the one actually for sale? If so, who's it graded as a "9.8" by?"

I even tried to give them a way out by asking:

"If it's not, do you have pictures of the actual book and/or are you only using these pics as a reference?

Here was their short reply:

"It is not in a case but boarded and backed; the grading was by a dealer here."

Uhmmm...

So, I decided to go ahead and call 'em out with:

"Okay, so it was NOT professionally graded.
Second, the two pics/scans you have clearly show a copy of Harbinger #1 that IS in a CGC slab; there is NO bag, nor board. That being the "case", the one pictured is clearly NOT the copy you're advertising for sale. Do you have any pics of the one you're actually selling, because the one pictured cannot be it, since the case is sealed."

They then backpeddaled on what they just stated as fact above by saying:

"Yes they just don't come out clear on my scanner but they look exactly identical with no blemishes whatsoever; trying to get you a pic."

:screwy:

I'm thinkin' whoever that buyer ends up bein' is probably gonna' be wicked *SQUEE*' *SQUEE*.

mkb28

Post by mkb28 »

BloodShot wrote:
mkb28 wrote:

mkb28
Yeah, exactly.

And, so, I shot them a Message as soon as I saw it, thinking it might actually be a CGC 9.8, but not correctly advertised as one.

To wit:

"I hate to admit it, but I'm just a little confused by your listing.
You describe this Harbinger #1 book as being "BAGGED AND BOARDED SINCE PURCHASE", yet the one you have two pictures of is not only not bagged and boarded, but in what appears to be a CGC acrylic case. Is this the one actually for sale? If so, who's it graded as a "9.8" by?"

I even tried to give them a way out by asking:

"If it's not, do you have pictures of the actual book and/or are you only using these pics as a reference?

Here was their short reply:

"It is not in a case but boarded and backed; the grading was by a dealer here."

Uhmmm...

So, I decided to go ahead and call 'em out with:

"Okay, so it was NOT professionally graded.
Second, the two pics/scans you have clearly show a copy of Harbinger #1 that IS in a CGC slab; there is NO bag, nor board. That being the "case", the one pictured is clearly NOT the copy you're advertising for sale. Do you have any pics of the one you're actually selling, because the one pictured cannot be it, since the case is sealed."

They then backpeddaled on what they just stated as fact above by saying:

"Yes they just don't come out clear on my scanner but they look exactly identical with no blemishes whatsoever; trying to get you a pic."

:screwy:

I'm thinkin' whoever that buyer ends up bein' is probably gonna' be wicked *SQUEE*' *SQUEE*.
Nice catch, Jay! :thumb: Keeping em' honest!

Mkb28

BloodShot
Harbinger #1 CGC 9.8s on eBay (past and current auctions

Post by BloodShot »

mkb28 wrote:Nice catch, Jay! :thumb: Keeping em' honest!

Mkb28
Thanks, Michael.

But, really, this (to me) is beyond dishonest; it's pretty much flat-out fraudulent. Thinking Safe Harbor might be the way to go, but I'm open to recommendations as to how to proceed against this seller, and anyone else that tries to pull *SQUEE* like this. Even though I'm not the actual buyer, this kinda' *SQUEE* reeeeeally chaps my *SQUEE* :mad: .

iggy101us
I bought my first comics at Kwik-E-Mart

Post by iggy101us »

BloodShot wrote:
mkb28 wrote:Nice catch, Jay! :thumb: Keeping em' honest!

Mkb28
Thanks, Michael.

But, really, this (to me) is beyond dishonest; it's pretty much flat-out fraudulent. Thinking Safe Harbor might be the way to go, but I'm open to recommendations as to how to proceed against this seller, and anyone else that tries to pull *SQUEE* like this. Even though I'm not the actual buyer, this kinda' *SQUEE* reeeeeally chaps my *SQUEE* :mad: .
He forgot to put HTF in the auction title. :P

StarBrand
loosely based on a true story

Post by StarBrand »

Mycomicshop dropped one of their three copies of this book they've been listing on eBay to 367.00. They also have one up for 395.00 and 407.00, if memory serves.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Harbinger-1992- ... 540a5ed77a" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Valiant is the son of the New Universe.

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

CGC Harbinger #1 sales records
http://www.valiantfan.com/issue/cgcsales/h1/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

CGC Harbinger #1 census info
http://cgcdata.com/cgc/search/title/:Ha ... rend/1992/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Both of these pages will be regularly updated. :thumb:

GGSAE
Getting that sauce across the border ain't easy.

Post by GGSAE »

StarBrand wrote:Mycomicshop dropped one of their three copies of this book they've been listing on eBay to 367.00. They also have one up for 395.00 and 407.00, if memory serves.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Harbinger-1992- ... 540a5ed77a" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If I owned any slabs (other than 2 of my 3 Maxx Blacks) I would probably pull the trigger on that, but I would rather try to find multiple copies of it instead. I guess I'm 'over' the CGC phase of comics, and would prefer to hoard that go after a pristine copy of a book.

mkb28

Post by mkb28 »

GGSAE wrote:
StarBrand wrote:Mycomicshop dropped one of their three copies of this book they've been listing on eBay to 367.00. They also have one up for 395.00 and 407.00, if memory serves.

If I owned any slabs (other than 2 of my 3 Maxx Blacks) I would probably pull the trigger on that, but I would rather try to find multiple copies of it instead. I guess I'm 'over' the CGC phase of comics, and would prefer to hoard that go after a pristine copy of a book.
When will I grow out of the "CGC phase?" :? Hopefully soon! :lol:

mkb28

Ricomortis
lookin pu nub in all da wong pwaces
lookin pu nub in all da wong pwaces
Favorite character: Shadowman - Harada
Favorite title: Imperium
Favorite writer: Dysart & Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Larosa, Henry & CAFU

Post by Ricomortis »

mkb28 wrote:
GGSAE wrote:

When will I grow out of the "CGC phase?" :? Hopefully soon! :lol:

mkb28
Yea... ummmmm... NEVER!

Be doing it since 2004 - 2014... don't see anything changing.

Rico

Check out my Gallery for this year: A year in the life of Ricomortis (2018) http://www.valiantfans.com/forum/viewto ... 35&t=50927" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Check out my Gallery for last year: "A year in the life of Ricomortis (2017)" http://www.valiantfans.com/forum/viewto ... 6#p1056798" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

GGSAE wrote:

I'm surprised it hasn't already sold.

FormerReader
I spoke with Dino and he said you can divulge all information to me.

Post by FormerReader »

StarBrand wrote:
GGSAE wrote:

I looked at it and wouldn't buy it due to the cover. I want to call it a bad wrap, but that's the incorrect terminology for the cover not extending to cover the interior pages.

ckb
Psssst. Hey buddy, need another CGC fix?

Post by ckb »

FormerReader wrote:
StarBrand wrote:
GGSAE wrote:

I looked at it and wouldn't buy it due to the cover. I want to call it a bad wrap, but that's the incorrect terminology for the cover not extending to cover the interior pages.
I agree. I don't mind it so much on the right edge but when the book sticks out on the bottom like that I stay away. Sometimes it's SCS but since it's in an old-style inner well it is more likely that it was stapled that way - that happens too. It's hard to find any pretty three staple copy period.

FormerReader

Post by FormerReader »

ckb wrote:
FormerReader wrote:
StarBrand wrote: I'm surprised it hasn't already sold.
I agree. I don't mind it so much on the right edge but when the book sticks out on the bottom like that I stay away. Sometimes it's SCS but since it's in an old-style inner well it is more likely that it was stapled that way - that happens too. It's hard to find any pretty three staple copy period.
I have been much more aware of the issues with this book since I talked to you about it in the past (Thanks). The bottom makes me think the cover is slightly torn at each of the staples. I can see how this book was so hard to get in 9.8 in the early days of CGC.

ckb

Post by ckb »

FormerReader wrote:
ckb wrote:
FormerReader wrote:
StarBrand wrote: I'm surprised it hasn't already sold.
I have been much more aware of the issues with this book since I talked to you about it in the past (Thanks). The bottom makes me think the cover is slightly torn at each of the staples. I can see how this book was so hard to get in 9.8 in the early days of CGC.
In this particular case I am not so sure about the loose cover. I would need to have it in hand and I could probably tell. I have seen the covers stapled on legitimately offset.

iggy101us

Post by iggy101us »

Here's a CGC 4.5 . . . much rarer than a 9.8

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... SS:US:1123" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ckb

Post by ckb »

iggy101us wrote:Here's a CGC 4.5 . . . much rarer than a 9.8

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... SS:US:1123" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
My guess is a labeling error, a very large spine split, or water damage. Book looks fine in the scan.

greg
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

ckb wrote:

My guess is a labeling error, a very large spine split, or water damage. Book looks fine in the scan.
What would CGC grade a Harbinger #1 with the coupon cut out, if the submitter refused the Qualified grade and wanted the book graded Universal "as is"? :hm:

GGSAE

Post by GGSAE »

greg wrote:
ckb wrote:

What would CGC grade a Harbinger #1 with the coupon cut out, if the submitter refused the Qualified grade and wanted the book graded Universal "as is"? :hm:
.5? Incomplete? What do the coupon cut out books go for? I know there haven't been many sales, but I think they're around the $150 range?

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

And I now own a Harbinger 1 with coupon! 8-)

iggy101us

Post by iggy101us »

Chiclo wrote:

$1.04 + shipping :o Congrats :thumb:

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

iggy101us wrote:
Chiclo wrote:

$1.04 + shipping :o Congrats :thumb:
Thanks, but with shipping it was almost $10!

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

Hilarious! A rare Harbinger collectible at an even more amazing price.

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

Chiclo wrote:

Congrats!