Unity and Original Unpublished X-O Manowar #1 art (SOLD)

VALIANT-related items for sale, trade, or wanted.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Crow331
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Unity and Original Unpublished X-O Manowar #1 art (SOLD)

Post by Crow331 »

Hey guys, long time no see. I'm trying to raise some funds for another purchase so I'm putting a few Valiant art pieces up for sale. Might add a few more ...

Barry Windsor Smith Unity #0 page
http://www.ebay.com/itm/162350224755?ss ... 1555.l2649" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Original unpublished cover to X-O_Manowar #1 by Bob Layton
http://www.ebay.com/itm/162350226455?ss ... 1555.l2649" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.
Re: Unity and original Valiant X-O Manowar #1 art for sale.

Post by nycjadie »

Those are bananas!

Crow331
Re: Unity and Original Unpublished X-O Manowar #1 art for sa

Post by Crow331 »

Heh ... thank you sir.

I also have some Shadowman pages from Bob Hall and an un-produced Shadowman King project. I think a few other things might be hitting the auction block

sonicdan
Nice art! (I used to own that.)
Nice art! (I used to own that.)
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Lewis LaRosa

Post by sonicdan »

Great stuff!
Sonicdan's Comics and Original Art: http://www.sonicdan.com
My eBay Store (Comics, Art, Collectibles) https://www.ebay.com/str/sonicdanscomicsart

777Peralta
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)

Post by 777Peralta »

I like the unpublished art more than the published xomanowar

unityshadowman
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Shadowman (V1)
Favorite title: Divinity/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire
Favorite artist: Cowan/Larosa

Post by unityshadowman »

Dang, that unpublished cover would have been stellar as a variant for the X-O Manowar #1 relaunch.
Help us build the X-O Micro Print Gallery:
http://www.valiantfans.com/forum/viewto ... =1&t=48431

nycjadie

Post by nycjadie »

Seriously. The unpublished cover is dynamic compared to the original, which I always thought was a bit wooden and a let down compared to other pre-Unity covers. I mean, Shadowman 1, Harbinger 1, even Bloodshot 1.

Crow331

Post by Crow331 »

I totally agree.

iggy101us
I bought my first comics at Kwik-E-Mart

Post by iggy101us »

Great stuff :thumb:

paradise
Major Valiant-supporting retailer
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar, Unity
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Bart Sears

Post by paradise »

nycjadie wrote:Seriously. The unpublished cover is dynamic compared to the original, which I always thought was a bit wooden and a let down compared to other pre-Unity covers. I mean, Shadowman 1, Harbinger 1, even Bloodshot 1.
Agree on the pose but the helmet and his expression make him look like a villain so I get why it was changed. I just don't understand why it was redrawn completely, this is a much better pose. Talking about it with Bob right now, want to get his recall of it. Still interested like I was last time we talked, just got to figure it out with the spouse. Specially considering what I just spent on my exclusive XO #1 cover by Bradshaw. :!:
Edward
COLLECTOR'S PARADISE Stores:(Canoga Park, Pasadena, North Hollywood)
7131 Winnetka Ave - Canoga Park, CA - 91306 - 818-999-9455
319 S. Arroyo Parkway - Pasadena, CA - 91105 - 626-577-6694
5118 Lankershim Blvd - NoHo, CA - 91601 - 818-980-BOOK
http://ComicsAndCards.net

Crow331

Post by Crow331 »

If anyone here is interested I'll go $1,800 on this if we do a gift through paypal so I can avoid all paypal/ebay fees. Just FYI, I have 2 other parties who contacted me through EBAY, also trying to work out a deal, that I am talking to right now.

PARADISE - If interested I would make a personal drop off of this at your Pasadena store to avoid any chance of shipping destruction :D

paradise

Post by paradise »

Crow331 wrote:If anyone here is interested I'll go $1,800 on this if we do a gift through paypal so I can avoid all paypal/ebay fees. Just FYI, I have 2 other parties who contacted me through EBAY, also trying to work out a deal, that I am talking to right now.

PARADISE - If interested I would make a personal drop off of this at your Pasadena store to avoid any chance of shipping destruction :D
Pm'ed you, lmk
Edward

Crow331

Post by Crow331 »

SOLD to Mr. Ed! (no relation)

Thanks you sir. See you Friday. Enjoy!

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

Wow, nice stuff! Glad they found a good home.

nycjadie

Post by nycjadie »

Oh, man! Great buy, Ed. Glad it's staying with a mega fan.

Crow331

Post by Crow331 »

Unity page SOLD to Greg .....

Thanks guys! Glad these are staying here with people on the board!

nycjadie

Post by nycjadie »

Congrats to the winners, but bummed as I was interested in bidding!

777Peralta

Post by 777Peralta »

I was waiting for auction also. Gratz on the sale ;)
Last edited by 777Peralta on Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:36:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

paradise

Post by paradise »

To be honest, we discussed the sale of the xo cover to me about a year ago, and it just did not work out. It helps that I am local and he can just drop it off and not pay shipping, and not worry about it being lost/stolen in the mail.

Also, I sell a lot on ebay and people ask to remove stuff all the time. it's not a big deal and i don't mind doing it as it saves me on fees. he posted it here, anyone could have PM'ed and closed the deal.
Edward

Crow331

Post by Crow331 »

Ed that was 3 years ago now! Time flies!

Sorry guys! I have to admit it *SQUEE* me off sometimes when an item I'm interested in is closed early because someone swiped it out from underneath me. But I've also been the guy asking a seller to close an auction down, so it goes both ways.

Sometimes as a seller it makes more sense to close it early because even though I had 14 watchers of the auction, I have no idea who is bidding or not, but I do know that I have at least 1 solid interested party. If I have someone willing to give me my asking or close to it and it saves me a couple hundred dollars in fees then it's worth the risk of closing it early. I would need to sell it for $1,650 before fees in order to make my $1,500 asking, so there is no guarantee it's going to reach that amount. Or I can just sell it to the guy offering me $1,500 and no fees. If you decide to let the auction finish and you get no bidders then you risk not making a sale at all. Maybe the guy who was going to buy it before suddenly says, "well there were no other bidders, so maybe it's over-priced or maybe I can talk him down even more since I'm the only interested party"

Also just 2 days ago I mentioned that other people were emailing me through EBAY trying to work out a deal so you had to know that it might close early

Bottom line is I came here and posted these for a reason. To keep them in the family. Ed is right, anyone could have emailed to try and make a deal or at the very least said "love the page, I'll be bidding!" ... in a case like that I would keep the auction going. I even offered a trade/cash option to these guys, as well as payment plans if needed. This has always been a place of like-minded collectors willing to help each other out and it's full of people you can trust. That's why we come here. I haven't been on these boards for 3 years but I knew right where to come when I wanted to sell these pages. Home. :thumb:

On a side note, I ran about 20 auctions a few weeks before Christmas with hundreds of watchers and only 2 sold. So yeah, sometimes closing an auction early and getting a guaranteed sale is worth it.

nycjadie

Post by nycjadie »

I like a fair fight. By placing the items up for auction, instead of a make an offer, you set seller expectations and rules. Negotiating with select individuals without offering that same level of negotiation to all others is not a level playing field. It's not a customer friendly approach when you change the rules of the game midway. Here's what eBay states about ending auctions early:

"When you choose to end a listing early, buyers may be disappointed. If you regularly end listings early, your account may be subject to account restrictions and other consequences. However, we understand that sometimes you may have a good reason to end a listing early." In other words, lost or broken items, or listings with a mistake - things that relate to truth in advertising.

Imagine Amazon has a unique one of a kind item listed in its art category that you are very interested in, and it states that is going to be offered tomorrow to the first person who buys it for $1K. However, the next day, they pull the listing early, noting that they sold it their friend Google and was able to work out a deal, suggesting that it may have been for a sum less than $1K. As a customer, you won't be happy.

When people ask me to end an auction early, I know that I have a hot item that the buyer doesn't want to risk not getting. I've always just let it ride, and I've always done much better than I would have by accepting the offer. I'm pretty certain you would have done better than the minimum bids you set in the auctions. Perhaps much more.

I like Ed and Greg. They are good people, and I'm glad that all parties are super happy with the deals they made. However, as a potential customer, I'm not very happy, and I imagine several others are not as well. It's no hard feelings, but I don't want anyone to be under the illusion that this was a level playing field, and that it is unreasonable that some might feel disappointed that they didn't have the same opportunity.

iggy101us

Post by iggy101us »

Thanks greg for saving me money and congrats. :thumb:

Crow331

Post by Crow331 »

nycjadie wrote:I like a fair fight. By placing the items up for auction, instead of a make an offer, you set seller expectations and rules. Negotiating with select individuals without offering that same level of negotiation to all others is not a level playing field. It's not a customer friendly approach when you change the rules of the game midway. Here's what eBay states about ending auctions early:

"When you choose to end a listing early, buyers may be disappointed. If you regularly end listings early, your account may be subject to account restrictions and other consequences. However, we understand that sometimes you may have a good reason to end a listing early." In other words, lost or broken items, or listings with a mistake - things that relate to truth in advertising.

Imagine Amazon has a unique one of a kind item listed in its art category that you are very interested in, and it states that is going to be offered tomorrow to the first person who buys it for $1K. However, the next day, they pull the listing early, noting that they sold it their friend Google and was able to work out a deal, suggesting that it may have been for a sum less than $1K. As a customer, you won't be happy.

When people ask me to end an auction early, I know that I have a hot item that the buyer doesn't want to risk not getting. I've always just let it ride, and I've always done much better than I would have by accepting the offer. I'm pretty certain you would have done better than the minimum bids you set in the auctions. Perhaps much more.

I like Ed and Greg. They are good people, and I'm glad that all parties are super happy with the deals they made. However, as a potential customer, I'm not very happy, and I imagine several others are not as well. It's no hard feelings, but I don't want anyone to be under the illusion that this was a level playing field, and that it is unreasonable that some might feel disappointed that they didn't have the same opportunity.

I totally get your side of it. I've also been on your side of it :thumb: Nobody has been on EBAY longer than me ... November 1997! :o So I've seen everything! I would have to get $1,750 to make just $75 more than I did on this deal, so even getting $250 more than my asking wasn't going to net me much more. The 2 guys who emailed me from EBAY gave me the "what's the best you can do on this?", so they most likely weren't going to go higher than my asking. Nobody here said they were going to bid.

Anywaysssssssssssssssssss. I apologize that everyone who was interested didn't get a fair shot. If I had even 1 bid on it I would have let the auction go. That's one thing I have never done, close an auction that had a bid, but I get that people like to swoop in last minute to keep from getting in a bidding war. As a seller you WANT a bidding war!

As far as EBAY goes I'm not worried about being kicked off for closing 2 items early. One of the reasons you can give for closing an auction early is that "the item is no longer for sale". That's the case here. I did that with these 2 and I actually did it with a third item that I decided I no longer wanted to sell because of the money raised on these other 2 items. I might close a 4th auction as well for the same reason. My other auctions will close with EBAY.

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

For the record, I only approached Crow331 about buying the Unity page for two reasons that were specific to this particular sale:
1) He had already done a deal on the board for the X-O cover to save himself fees on Ebay.
2) I own the original color art for this Unity page.

Generally speaking, I don't suggest someone end an auction early unless they first make some effort to offer that option to everyone.
Secondly, I don't have any other Unity color art, as far as I can remember, so I wouldn't have done the same for any other Unity page.
Thirdly, only in case it does matter to anyone... I did pay $1,500 and the fees required to make sure Crow331 got the full $1,500.

Sorry for disappointing anyone who also wanted the page --- I didn't know, so please don't take it personally. :hope:

P.S. I have been on Ebay longer than Crow331, who said "nobody has". I'm September 1997. :P

iggy101us

Post by iggy101us »

That's awesome that you have the matching colors. :clap: