Ebay alternative

VALIANT-related items for sale, trade, or wanted.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Ebay alternative

Post by jmatt »

Tried searching on those terms and just came up with a ton of posts with "alternative" but not "ebay". Adding a + or putting it in quotes didn't help.

Ebay fees are ridiculous. CL won't allow you to post to other cities with regularity.

Is there an app (phone or otherwise) anyone could recommend to sell comics and slabs?

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.
Re: Ebay alternative

Post by nycjadie »

I don’t have one, but I’m in the same boat. I’ll be selling a bunch of stuff, but plan on avoiding eBay for the most part.

Do people have a good experience with FB?

IMJ
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O Manowar #1
Favorite character: VH1 Sting | VH2 Rai
Favorite title: VH2 Rai
Favorite writer: Kurt Busiek
Favorite artist: Sean Chen

Post by IMJ »

I've been doing pretty well on eBay since setting up a valid store there about a year ago. Traffic is good and word of mouth has been terrific for me, which I'm thankful for. The best model? Don't feed anybody bull$#!( about how great they are or how great the fandom is or other nonsense about how you value the "fandom relationships". Simply deliver on what you expressed that a buyer would receive, and do it quickly and that's it. Depending on the item type, I sometimes throw in a fun "freebie" too (let's face it - enough time in this hobby and each and every one of us has enough stuff to be able to do that everytime). I often get stuff shipped out within an hour of payment being made and people love it. So far the eBay managed payments has been pretty good and it did cut back on my payment fees a bit. eBay's recent downturns though have been some pretty ridiculous listing detail requirements using their drop-down menus, and they've made listing non-sports cards incredibly difficult. For example, you can't list by card number anymore and you can't edit old listings for a fix. It's insanity.

I've sold some stuff on Facebook - sold a $5k slab through Facebook and it went fine. It helps to be in a variety of groups and also to have thick skin. No matter what you post for sale in a group and no matter what your asking price is you are going to have that guy with a laugh emoji and some opinionated words about your actions. And then a day later your item sells, so...... :lol:

Other forms of social media have been pretty helpful as well and I've netted a few $1,234 slab sales from those sources and several $123 card sales. Instagram has been pretty good for me too. I was going to try out Shortboxed, and while I like it as a resource, I'm not a fan of their "Amazon style" of inventory where you send them your books as a middle man. Someday maybe I'll change my mind, but I don't "need" the platform yet to really boost any numbers for me.

ckb
Psssst. Hey buddy, need another CGC fix?
Psssst. Hey buddy, need another CGC fix?

Post by ckb »

Check out "shortboxed.com". The downside is the $50 lower limit for slab price. And then there is always comiclink.com. Lower limit there too, and decently large fees. Upside is transactions are risk-free. Sales are double-blind.

IMJ

Post by IMJ »

I think the real downside to shortboxed is that you have to send them your slabs, almost like an amazon shipping partner/seller.

betterthanezra
Wanna see an unpublished Shadowman page?
Wanna see an unpublished Shadowman page?
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart

Post by betterthanezra »

ckb wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:24:13 pm Check out "shortboxed.com". The downside is the $50 lower limit for slab price. And then there is always comiclink.com. Lower limit there too, and decently large fees. Upside is transactions are risk-free. Sales are double-blind.
That is something they are changing soon
I’ve been writing a comic based article on that site that’s being published each week now
-Brian
I'm on Twitter follow me

https://twitter.com/#!/shadowsip" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My Valiant story here

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6932" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

IMJ wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 2:15:49 pm I think the real downside to shortboxed is that you have to send them your slabs, almost like an amazon shipping partner/seller.
And I think I read that there's a 10% fee on the gross sale. That's better than Ebay but not much. I remember back in the Ebay early days when they were content with a 50 cent listing fee.

Coffee
Working on the first full appearance of me
Working on the first full appearance of me

Post by Coffee »

I've had great experiences with reddit's /r/comicswap subreddit over the years.

GGSAE
Getting that sauce across the border ain't easy.

Post by GGSAE »

Over the past 20 months or so, I’ve sold more on eBay than all my previous 15 years, and by far! FB groups have been okay, but I only post stuff there that are big lots I’m looking to dump, or big runs that are cost prohibitive to ship, or big books with time payments attached. Despite its high fees and all the other *SQUEE* things about it, ebay is just the best platform for selling for me - it’s very efficient, I don’t have time to deal with wasting posts on fb that get instantly buried either on marketplace or within a group.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMJ

Post by IMJ »

GGSAE wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:40:33 pm Over the past 20 months or so, I’ve sold more on eBay than all my previous 15 years, and by far! FB groups have been okay, but I only post stuff there that are big lots I’m looking to dump, or big runs that are cost prohibitive to ship, or big books with time payments attached. Despite its high fees and all the other *SQUEE* things about it, ebay is just the best platform for selling for me - it’s very efficient, I don’t have time to deal with wasting posts on fb that get instantly buried either on marketplace or within a group.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I will say that I felt the same way about Facebook groups and the Marketplace, but you'd be really surprised how people manage to turn up those listings, man..... you'll get PM's practically out of nowhere from people that dug up your Marketplace listings from weeks back.

GGSAE

Post by GGSAE »

I post lots and runs (cost prohibitive to ship) on FB....I get a lot of people that waste my time, or low ball. I don't have to deal with time wasters or low ballers on ebay.....