Wizard World Raleigh NC March 13-15

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

String
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Wizard World Raleigh NC March 13-15

Post by String »

I saw a TV commercial for this upcoming con this past weekend and to my knowledge, this is the first time I've heard of a Wizard World Con in Raleigh. I've never been to one of their cons and while there are quite a few notable comic pros scheduled for an appearance, the major focus is on pop celebrities.

Of course, the major draw for this event is David Tennant, the 10th Doctor (from what I gather, his first US appearance at such an event). Second on my list is William Shatner, given the absolute lack of major Star Trek conventions in this area over the years, this may be my only chance to ever see him.

I'm bummed though, online ticket sales for photo ops and autographs for Tennant are already sold out so I'm hoping to perhaps score an autograph on-site (I'm carrying the fee just in case). He's scheduled for an audience panel so I hope to edge into the room at some point. VIP admission sales are still available for close to 400 bucks but that only covers 1 person from what I can tell and I don't have the money to cover both myself and the wife (who REALLY wants to see him).

I'm more used to comic-focused cons like HeroesCon so this will be a brand-new experience for me. Anyone else in the area thinking of going?

geocarr
Those responsible for those remarks have been sacked.
Those responsible for those remarks have been sacked.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Vincent the Goat!
Favorite title: All of them!
Re: Wizard World Raleigh NC March 13-15

Post by geocarr »

I saw it and live an hour away and my son's 12th birthday is this month but I can't drop $400 much less $800 to see David Tennant no matter how badly we'd love to.
***Support your local farmers!***

Tim
Confession... I liked Psi-Lords.
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by Tim »

I live 45 minutes away and you couldn't pay me to go to this. Actual comic creator presence is depressing and I'm not interested in the least in paying to meet some celebrity no matter who it is. I'm into comics, not all the crossover pop culture trappings that they expect all comic fans to embrace as part of some kind of perceived "geek culture" community.

:rant:

slym2none
a typical message board assassin

Post by slym2none »

#porchdick

-slym
Some people spend their whole lives believing in fairy tales, usually because they don't want to give up the fabulous prizes.

String

Post by String »

Wow, now that was fun.

I didn't buy a VIP admission for Tennant but I was able to see him, take some long-distance photos, and see his Q & A panel, in all, just really cool to see him there in person. With Shatner, my wife and I had our picture taken with him and I got his autograph on certain ST memorabilia, in all, he was very nice and happy to see all the fans, it was a real pleasure meeting him. Other stars that I made sure to see was Bo Duke, Elivra, Kevin Sorbo and Steve Gonsales from SyFy's Ghost Hunters.

There were some comic dealers, but not many. From what I perused, I saw hardly any Valiant books or issues (though I did represent by wearing my Unity t-shirt). Of the pros in attendance, I saw Peter David and my brother wanted to see Tom DeFalco, both of whom were very cordial. I didn't buy any comics nor trades, most booths had a ton of other memorabilia for sale, ranging from shirts to figures to prints and so on (There was an official Lego booth and one booth selling custom-made Lego figures, both of which had large crowds the entire time I was there). I bought a couple of new t-shirts and some small DW memorabilia.

It appeared as if everyone in attendance was having a good time, some great cosplay costumes on hand (there was a couple of gentlemen, one of whom was dressed as Deathstroke as he appeared as Arrow, one dressed as the Arrow, and one dressed as Red Hood that looked quite impressive. Quite a few Harley Quinns with big hammers and seemingly a Deadpool around every aisle). My one nitpick would be the concession area. The stand looked to be smaller than the one at HeroesCon and the line for it most of the day was almost as long as the photo lines so none of us ate or drank anything while we were there.

So overall, it was really quite the experience. :thumb:

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

Wizard shows are different from most other shows I do.
But I really like them. The Wizard people really know how to organize and run a show.
I love wizard shows.
Also, I've done real well at everyone I've done.

String

Post by String »

Elveen wrote:Wizard shows are different from most other shows I do.
But I really like them. The Wizard people really know how to organize and run a show.
I love wizard shows.
Also, I've done real well at everyone I've done.
Agreed. They were very well organized and efficient, they kept the lines concise and flowing well, it really helped make the overall experience so much better.

Elveen
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

I'm thinking that the WW Vegas show the end of April is going to be massive.
I had 2 non west coast comic dealers/peeps in the industry tell me to make sure I was going, they have heard tons of great things about the show.

And I can tell you that last year's WW Sac was MASSIVE!
Honestly the crowds in the walkways were SDCC level packed!

betterthanezra
Wanna see an unpublished Shadowman page?
Wanna see an unpublished Shadowman page?
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart

Post by betterthanezra »

Elveen wrote:And I can tell you that last year's WW Sac was MASSIVE!
Honestly the crowds in the walkways were SDCC level packed!
QFT!!!

-Brian
I'm on Twitter follow me

https://twitter.com/#!/shadowsip" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My Valiant story here

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6932" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

slym2none

Post by slym2none »

Did anyone go to this? This thread was the first I heard of it, and I live 20 minutes from downtown Raleigh.

On an aside - I might be going to HeroesCon this year...

:)

-slym
Some people spend their whole lives believing in fairy tales, usually because they don't want to give up the fabulous prizes.

Tim
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by Tim »

slym2none wrote:Did anyone go to this? This thread was the first I heard of it, and I live 20 minutes from downtown Raleigh.

You've said that for the last 9 years. :lol:

slym2none

Post by slym2none »

Tim wrote:
slym2none wrote:Did anyone go to this? This thread was the first I heard of it, and I live 20 minutes from downtown Raleigh.

You've said that for the last 9 years. :lol:
I have not. I might have said it once or twice... but those three years in NYC, I know I never said such a thing!

:P

No, I have a real reason to go this year, and might actually have someone funding at least part of my trip. Bidness is bidness!

-slym