Boston Comic Con

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Bone-A-Fach-ee
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Valiant fan since: '92
Favorite character: Tony Harada
Favorite title: Harbinger/Imperium
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry
Boston Comic Con

Post by Bone-A-Fach-ee »

Anyone going to Boston Comic Con? What's the best/closest hotel to stay at? wanting to book ASAP before room rates skyrocket!
thanks!

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada
Re: Boston Comic Con

Post by BugsySig »

Bone-A-Fach-ee wrote:Anyone going to Boston Comic Con? What's the best/closest hotel to stay at? wanting to book ASAP before room rates skyrocket!
thanks!
I'm thinking of going this year, but only if VEI is there. I don't think they've announced anything about it yet.

Not sure on hotels. There's definitely no shortage of them nearby though.
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

Trenton Sy
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.

Post by Trenton Sy »

I'm going to Boston con. The closest is the Seaport - it's across a walking bridge to the convention center. I would stay at one of the other hotels on the block though- I have not had great experiences at the seaport.
"Life is one's oppurtunity to change that which aflicts them" ~ Dr. Doom

Bone-A-Fach-ee

Post by Bone-A-Fach-ee »

Is this even a good show? Was told no major publishers are exhibiting, and as a potential exhibitor myself, they won't provide a press list or even the exhibitor list before it's made public. Makes me think it might not be that great a show? Anyone go last year? Anything pro/con to report? Thanks!

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

Bone-A-Fach-ee wrote:Is this even a good show? Was told no major publishers are exhibiting, and as a potential exhibitor myself, they won't provide a press list or even the exhibitor list before it's made public. Makes me think it might not be that great a show? Anyone go last year? Anything pro/con to report? Thanks!
I know that Stan Lee is supposed to be there. They were selling special packages to meet and greet, get pics, etc.

Never been. I know it's not huge, but they usually have a few big names there.

Trenton Sy

Post by Trenton Sy »

I've heard good things but have not been until this year. They usually have a pretty stellar guest list. I know that Barry Kitson enjoys it and says the artist do well there.
"Life is one's oppurtunity to change that which aflicts them" ~ Dr. Doom

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

Thomas Jane and Haley Atwell are also going to be there, as is the guy who plays Grant Ward on AoS and Robin Lord Taylor (Penguin) from Gotham.

The artist list includes some pretty good names. Here's the list: http://www.bostoncomiccon.com/artists.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ming Doyle will be there...I wonder how much the OA of potato car goes for... :hm:

Bone-A-Fach-ee

Post by Bone-A-Fach-ee »

Well, I guess more on the comic side of things. Stan Lee and all the actors will appear anywhere if they're paid. Wondering what the publishers, comic community is like at the show. Not people wanting autographs and photos with celebs.
The creator guest list is very nice, but wondering if there's more of a draw?

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

Bone-A-Fach-ee wrote:Well, I guess more on the comic side of things. Stan Lee and all the actors will appear anywhere if they're paid. Wondering what the publishers, comic community is like at the show. Not people wanting autographs and photos with celebs.
I am curious too. They don't have much posted in terms of publishers. Under all the photos/links to the big name artists is a list which includes some small/Indy publishers. But no "name" publishers that I could find.

Bone-A-Fach-ee

Post by Bone-A-Fach-ee »

BugsySig wrote:
Bone-A-Fach-ee wrote:Well, I guess more on the comic side of things. Stan Lee and all the actors will appear anywhere if they're paid. Wondering what the publishers, comic community is like at the show. Not people wanting autographs and photos with celebs.
I am curious too. They don't have much posted in terms of publishers. Under all the photos/links to the big name artists is a list which includes some small/Indy publishers. But no "name" publishers that I could find.
Bugsy, do you go to Connecticut ComicCONN? any thoughts on that one, like 2 weeks later?

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

Bone-A-Fach-ee wrote:
BugsySig wrote:
Bugsy, do you go to Connecticut ComicCONN? any thoughts on that one, like 2 weeks later?
I've never been. It's always during the time between the end of summer school and the beginning of the new school year when all my vacations are planned. I've heard it's pretty decent, but fairly small (compared to other big city cons), though it has been growing quite a bit over the last two years or so.

wrunow
Where are you now?
Where are you now?
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: They killed her off!
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Nord

Post by wrunow »

I'll be there and I wouldn't be going if a certain comic company wasn't going to be there, take that for what it's worth I guess. I'll probably be at the Seaport for a couple of nights, although I might drive in and out of the city, we'll see.
I am selling "nothing" on ebay-yet.

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

wrunow wrote:I'll be there and I wouldn't be going if a certain comic company wasn't going to be there, take that for what it's worth I guess. I'll probably be at the Seaport for a couple of nights, although I might drive in and out of the city, we'll see.
Glad to hear you are going then :thumb:

Pretty sure I will go, but likely only for one day...if only I knew which day would be the best day to go... :hm: :? :wink: :hope: :thumb:

wrunow
Where are you now?
Where are you now?

Post by wrunow »

BugsySig wrote:
wrunow wrote:I'll be there and I wouldn't be going if a certain comic company wasn't going to be there, take that for what it's worth I guess. I'll probably be at the Seaport for a couple of nights, although I might drive in and out of the city, we'll see.

Pretty sure I will go, but likely only for one day...if only I knew which day would be the best day to go... :hm: :? :wink: :hope: :thumb:
Can't help you with that yet, last year Sunday was the day, but that means nothing this year. Last year's con was good, but not organized very well by the people who were in charge, hopefully it'll be better this year.

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

wrunow wrote:
BugsySig wrote:

Can't help you with that yet, last year Sunday was the day, but that means nothing this year. Last year's con was good, but not organized very well by the people who were in charge, hopefully it'll be better this year.
Any assistance is appreciated :D

My girlfriend's brother just took a job in Boston, so we'll probably drive up, crash there for a night and hit the con the next day.

wrunow
Where are you now?
Where are you now?

Post by wrunow »

BugsySig wrote:
wrunow wrote:
BugsySig wrote:

My girlfriend's brother just took a job in Boston, so we'll probably drive up, crash there for a night and hit the con the next day.
My attendance looks doubtful based on my earlier posts with information I received this week.

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

wrunow wrote:
BugsySig wrote:
wrunow wrote:
BugsySig wrote:

My attendance looks doubtful based on my earlier posts with information I received this week.
Message received :thumb:

ckb
Psssst. Hey buddy, need another CGC fix?
Psssst. Hey buddy, need another CGC fix?

Post by ckb »

Anyone end up going? I was working the Toon Tumbler booth all day Sunday with my son. Saw one well-dressed individual with a VEI unity T-shirt...and I was so busy I did not get a chance to say hello! I got one chance to walk around and did not see VEI so I assume they were not there. David Peterson was there, and he did a great sketch and signature in the Mouse Guard hardcover my son bought.

A few comic retailers in the room who know I am a Valiant guy commented to me that there is definitely a pickup in the VH1 stuff, and VEI Divinity and Ninjak remain hot.

edit:

By the way...seen at the show sitting on the CGC table.... CGC 8.0 GREEN LABEL Solar 2... INCOMPLETE.... I was like WTF? I assume someone subbed one that the 4 page insert had been removed from. Anyone know the story on that one?

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

Incomplete Solar 2? It's gotta be either the Alpha & Omega insert or the subscription form.

wrunow
Where are you now?
Where are you now?

Post by wrunow »

ckb wrote:Anyone end up going? I was working the Toon Tumbler booth all day Sunday with my son. Saw one well-dressed individual with a VEI unity T-shirt...and I was so busy I did not get a chance to say hello! I got one chance to walk around and did not see VEI so I assume they were not there. David Peterson was there, and he did a great sketch and signature in the Mouse Guard hardcover my son bought.

A few comic retailers in the room who know I am a Valiant guy commented to me that there is definitely a pickup in the VH1 stuff, and VEI Divinity and Ninjak remain hot.

edit:

By the way...seen at the show sitting on the CGC table.... CGC 8.0 GREEN LABEL Solar 2... INCOMPLETE.... I was like WTF? I assume someone subbed one that the 4 page insert had been removed from. Anyone know the story on that one?
I was at the ,VEI offices with Dinesh during NY Spec Ed in June and we made a plan for the Boston con, a couple of weeks before the con they changed their minds. Maybe next year.