Setting up at shows

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

GGSAE
Getting that sauce across the border ain't easy.
Setting up at shows

Post by GGSAE »

For the dealers and guys that do shows and conventions, what do you do use to setup wall books?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that
Re: Setting up at shows

Post by Elveen »

GGSAE wrote:For the dealers and guys that do shows and conventions, what do you do use to setup wall books?

Check out my insta-

elveens_comics

you will see all the pics you could want.

GGSAE

Post by GGSAE »

Didn't find it on pinterest.....I did see lots of good setups, but I don't want to be storing a massive structure I made for myself. Since this might only be a one-time deal I'm looking at different grid walls, as well as cardboard bin displays which are quite cheap.

Elveen

Post by Elveen »

GGSAE wrote:Didn't find it on pinterest.....I did see lots of good setups, but I don't want to be storing a massive structure I made for myself. Since this might only be a one-time deal I'm looking at different grid walls, as well as cardboard bin displays which are quite cheap.

Not Pinterest.

Instagram.

maraxusofkeld
I was young and silly and only read Marvel books.
I was young and silly and only read Marvel books.
Valiant fan since: UNITY
Favorite character: Magnus
Favorite title: Magnus
Favorite artist: Bob Layton

Post by maraxusofkeld »

I live in suburbia and have had great luck with weekend yard sales, getting great money for books or doing local swap meets. With advertising on craigslist and Facebook, I have had no need to do a show.

betterthanezra
Wanna see an unpublished Shadowman page?
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart

Post by betterthanezra »

in addition to Elveens instagram you can check out mine as well

shadowsip

it's not massive like E's but you get the point :thumb:

-Brian
I'm on Twitter follow me

https://twitter.com/#!/shadowsip" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My Valiant story here

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6932" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

GGSAE

Post by GGSAE »

Thanks, I see it now...technology :P

You guys have both good setups, Brian's is more what I'm looking for - smaller scale. Is this something that's built the day of the show, it looks like you have a base with the grids that screw into the wood on the end? How long does it take to setup/tear down?

betterthanezra

Post by betterthanezra »

GGSAE wrote:Thanks, I see it now...technology :P

You guys have both good setups, Brian's is more what I'm looking for - smaller scale. Is this something that's built the day of the show, it looks like you have a base with the grids that screw into the wood on the end? How long does it take to setup/tear down?

It takes me like 5 minutes from pulling the ends out of my van to putting the racks on the hooks that's it... :thumb:

-Brian
I'm on Twitter follow me

My Valiant story here

betterthanezra

Post by betterthanezra »

GGSAE wrote: Brian's is more what I'm looking for - smaller scale.
That's about to change I'm building three more over the next month!!!!

-Brian
I'm on Twitter follow me

My Valiant story here

GGSAE

Post by GGSAE »

betterthanezra wrote:
GGSAE wrote:Thanks, I see it now...technology :P

It takes me like 5 minutes from pulling the ends out of my van to putting the racks on the hooks that's it... :thumb:

-Brian
Pics plus a how-to youtube video, or it didn't happen! :D

GGSAE

Post by GGSAE »

Hey guys,
Today was the day of my first ever show, I came ready to move bulk and was wondering what I would do to pass the time (seemed like it would be a slow day). I had a spot outside the main room, and quickly got to chatting with another young guy setup beside me who came from Montreal...
As I had some dealers go through my bulk boxes before the start, there's this one greasy big dealer that comes over with a sandwich in his hand and nearly knocks over my wall books on the top shelf! Image

If I wasn't so quick with my hands a number of big keys would have tumbled to the floor!! I realized these books aren't secure here (during my setup I forgot to get string/rope to tie around the shelves to hold the books). So I remove them and prop them up on the stand sitting in the lids of longboxes.Image

GGSAE

Post by GGSAE »

I also moved some short boxes to the table and let people flip through them...I had some lesser keys (none high grade) that I left on the second shelf and they did tumble to the ground! :/

GGSAE

Post by GGSAE »

In terms of sales everyone was griping about how it's the slowest show of the year - great time to start I joke! I also had several people ask how my day was, well it's the worst or best day!! I would joke this was my first attempt and had no basis for comparison...

GGSAE

Post by GGSAE »

GGSAE wrote:In terms of sales everyone was griping about how it's the slowest show of the year - great time to start I joke! I also had several people ask how my day was, well it's the worst or best day!! I would joke this was my first attempt and had no basis for comparison...
I also made many jokes about the real reason I was there - my girlfriend was making me sell my comics :/.

Anyways, the brass tacks: I ended up selling 9 times the cost of my table which to me is incredible. I went in with a purpose - to move bulk - and I did, and also sold a number of individually priced books and many people asking me if I would come back. I think having prices better than most dealers helped me turn stuff over, so I was very happy with that.

A couple learning points (aside from the obvious wall setup) I shouldn't have brought books with no prices, I sold a couple books cheap because I had an old sticker on it simply because it was in a box of my collection that I didn't take out. I wasn't going to not honour the sales because that's bad form and this is my first impression with these buyers. Also, I had stickers on the back but I should have put them on the front so people can see right away what I was asking.

All-in-all, despite it being consider very slow I was quite busy. I'm a pretty social guy so I was chatting with everyone that came to my table, and the day just flew by! Favourite moment of the day: so I had a batch of bronze/silver books for $2/flat, I moved about half the box which I'm happy. Anyways, in the box were a bunch of mister miracles, then this guy walks by with a mister miracle shirt!! Hey I have some mister miracles first series for two bucks, "ya it's a great series" and keeps on walking! I turn to guy setup to my right, this is fate the guy is wearing a mister miracle shirt I was gonna jack up the price of those books to him for $5 but he didn't even stop, lol. We all had a good laugh...ImageImageImage

GGSAE

Post by GGSAE »

Oh ya, I saw this cool antique comic/magazine rack for $20 yesterday on kijiji. I even had the seller agree to deliver it to me...whether for shoe or at home, pretty cool item for $20 CAD!

GGSAE

Post by GGSAE »

Elveen

Post by Elveen »

Congrats on the first show.

Big step.

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

Looks like fun. With the hockey in the background, it's so Canada;)

GGSAE

Post by GGSAE »

nycjadie wrote:Looks like fun. With the hockey in the background, it's so Canada;)
Haha, ya...I've been told winters are good for the card guys, especially if they get kids playing hockey looking for cards. I had a dad buy some of my $2 comics and told him each lad could grab a free $1 comic. It would be great if more boys and girls came in to get them exposed to more comics....

GGSAE

Post by GGSAE »

ImageImage

Here's a couple photos of the main hall, not sure if you can tell by the pics but about 35-40% of the show are card guys/sports memorabilia.

GGSAE

Post by GGSAE »

Just an update, last weekend I was a bit more prepared. I brought more books (restocked the cheap boxes and the $2 boxes), as well as had a bit better setup. Despite being told it's the slowest show of the year I moved a ton of books, both volume and dollar by selling a few keys and semi keys. I'm enjoying this a lot so far, and have already started developing some repeat buyers which is pretty cool. Until my schedule permits, I will continue to attend since the distance and cost to the show are both minimal.

GGSAE

Post by GGSAE »

Just did show #3, quite the success....Total dollar amount sold was high, 24+ times cost a lot of this was due to selling a bunch of keys/higher ticket books. I also made a group sales to a friend of mine after I told him I can accept credit :)

I meant to take pics but was rushed at the beginning, because I was stationed in the hall early-birds were already there and there were additional dealers that had populated the space even more. I managed to snag a great hard-plastic folding utility table for $10 and dumped my cheap long boxes across from me on the wall. I plan on using my main table to bring more boxes of just individually-priced books as I still need more inventory at the show and have a lot left to bring. Last point, I snagged some cheap preacher books from the dealer beside me....I'm starting to see the business that takes place between other dealers....

TheeBaldMoose
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

sounds like you're starting to find a bit of a groove! NOICE!!
Moose

Elveen

Post by Elveen »

GGSAE wrote:Just did show #3, quite the success....Total dollar amount sold was high, 24+ times cost a lot of this was due to selling a bunch of keys/higher ticket books. I also made a group sales to a friend of mine after I told him I can accept credit :)

I meant to take pics but was rushed at the beginning, because I was stationed in the hall early-birds were already there and there were additional dealers that had populated the space even more. I managed to snag a great hard-plastic folding utility table for $10 and dumped my cheap long boxes across from me on the wall. I plan on using my main table to bring more boxes of just individually-priced books as I still need more inventory at the show and have a lot left to bring. Last point, I snagged some cheap preacher books from the dealer beside me....I'm starting to see the business that takes place between other dealers....
That is often the BIGGEST business.

GGSAE

Post by GGSAE »

Elveen wrote:
GGSAE wrote:Just did show #3, quite the success....Total dollar amount sold was high, 24+ times cost a lot of this was due to selling a bunch of keys/higher ticket books. I also made a group sales to a friend of mine after I told him I can accept credit :)

That is often the BIGGEST business.
You've probably seen this, but I've heard of dealers buying-out others completely. I know there's one guy down the hall from me that's selling his collection and told me he will need to make a decision shortly, either dump everything at $1 or buy more inventory. I guess that's the catch, you need to always be buying. It will be awhile before I need to make that decision, for now I'm just looking to move some stuff and try to learn something new each month.