ECCC & Coronavirus

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.
ECCC & Coronavirus

Post by nycjadie »

So, Emerald City Comic Con is next week, and numerous companies are cancelling due to concerns about the coronavirus. Valiant is out. Bad Idea is out and canceling their first panel. CGC is cancelling.

So far, ECCC is still on, but who will go now? I will!

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada
Re: ECCC & Coronavirus

Post by BugsySig »

Just saw Jim Lee cancelled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

Wow. I sort of just want to go to China and get it to get over it and be immune.

People are so ridiculous. And these same chicken littles are the Anti-vaxxers who don't want to get a flu vaccine. Idiots.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

My sister in law is a NPRN and just rolls her eyes at all the media coverage. It’s basically a common cold that, granted, is very dangerous for the elderly, very young, and immunocompromised...as is the flu. All the panic just makes things worse. Quarantining those poor people on that boat was one of the dumbest things I’ve seen in years...of course they all got sick! And they basically signed the death warrants for those people who passed away from it. Terrible and tragic. Now they’re cancelling sporting events and conventions like it’s the Spanish Flu!

nycjadie

Post by nycjadie »

I have an autoimmune disease, and I’m not overly concerned about ECCC. Now, my work conference that was canceled, I’m totally fine with that. People from all over the world kissing cheeks, hugs and handshakes. Totally different for me.

magnusr
I would hang a left...
I would hang a left...

Post by magnusr »

Mixed feelings. Currently it has the same death rate as the spanish flu (might however be revised if it turns out there are infected that has not been counted), and we have no vaccine, so it is worse than the flu. Might also be more contagious. But still the reactions seem exaggerated. One aspect could be that the governments still hope to stop a major outbreak and therefore take extreme measures while there's still some hope. The consensus of experts seems to be that the virus probably will end up as yet another seasonal sickness. Gotta admit for myself that I had plans to take a cruise but now I've put those plans on hold. For health reasons I should be careful with infections. Next question is what the risks will be when Bloodshot has its premiere.

/Magnus

nycjadie

Post by nycjadie »

magnusr wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:15:38 am Mixed feelings. Currently it has the same death rate as the spanish flu (might however be revised if it turns out there are infected that has not been counted), and we have no vaccine, so it is worse than the flu. Might also be more contagious. But still the reactions seem exaggerated. One aspect could be that the governments still hope to stop a major outbreak and therefore take extreme measures while there's still some hope. The consensus of experts seems to be that the virus probably will end up as yet another seasonal sickness. Gotta admit for myself that I had plans to take a cruise but now I've put those plans on hold. For health reasons I should be careful with infections. Next question is what the risks will be when Bloodshot has its premiere.

/Magnus
This is the most sensible summary of the virus I have seen yet! I’d be hesitant about a cruise as well. So far, I’m just living my life, but Amazon just asked its HQ employees to work from home for the entire month, so I expect more hysteria.

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

magnusr wrote:Mixed feelings. Currently it has the same death rate as the spanish flu (might however be revised if it turns out there are infected that has not been counted), and we have no vaccine, so it is worse than the flu. Might also be more contagious. But still the reactions seem exaggerated. One aspect could be that the governments still hope to stop a major outbreak and therefore take extreme measures while there's still some hope. The consensus of experts seems to be that the virus probably will end up as yet another seasonal sickness. Gotta admit for myself that I had plans to take a cruise but now I've put those plans on hold. For health reasons I should be careful with infections. Next question is what the risks will be when Bloodshot has its premiere.

/Magnus
We really have very little idea what the contagiousness or mortality rate is of this virus. It looks like it's slightly more contagious than influenza but much less than SARS or MERS. As for the mortality rate, it is definitely less than the current numbers because there is no way that denominator is right. Considering that most people have mild illness that wouldn't even get them tested, limited availability of access to testing, and the fact that 90%+ of the reported cases have been in a country with a police state that forces anyone positive to be held in a makeshift hospital with questionable care which would disincentivize citizens to come forward for testing if they have symptoms, I would wager that the denominator that we're working with is way underestimated which means the mortality rate is probably much less than the 3% reported.

*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

One of the issues with the mortality and infection numbers is people could have had the virus and not have known/reported it because it presents in most cases like a cold or the flu.

I’ll admit it makes me want to fly less than I was planning to, especially with a 10-month old baby.

I would agree that it’s better to over react than under react in a case like this, but it does seem to happen every year or two that there’s a new scary disease making headlines just to fade away again.

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

lorddunlow wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:14:29 pm Wow. I sort of just want to go to China and get it to get over it and be immune.

People are so ridiculous. And these same chicken littles are the Anti-vaxxers who don't want to get a flu vaccine. Idiots.

My sister asked my wife (her job title is medical technologist, she is a lab tech at the local hospital) if a zombie virus was a real thing, and then asked if my wife could tell her the truth if there really were a zombie virus.

That same day, my sister also described her... mystical/religious beliefs? I think she really believes in the Force, she just doesn't call it the Force?

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

BugsySig wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:47:15 am One of the issues with the mortality and infection numbers is people could have had the virus and not have known/reported it because it presents in most cases like a cold or the flu.

I’ll admit it makes me want to fly less than I was planning to, especially with a 10-month old baby.

I would agree that it’s better to over react than under react in a case like this, but it does seem to happen every year or two that there’s a new scary disease making headlines just to fade away again.

We still stan the Hanta virus in this house!

nycjadie

Post by nycjadie »

I think I might be out. All the companies and dealers I normally see are out. Much of my favorite creators are out. Super bummer.

Only highlight is I get to go to the Wednesday pre-screening of Bloodshot thanks to Chris! Should be super fun. I'll probably bring my poster for Kevin to sign, if he makes it!

TheeBaldMoose
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

nycjadie wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:45:30 pm I think I might be out. All the companies and dealers I normally see are out. Much of my favorite creators are out. Super bummer.

Only highlight is I get to go to the Wednesday pre-screening of Bloodshot thanks to Chris! Should be super fun. I'll probably bring my poster for Kevin to sign, if he makes it!
Hooser and I are just about out. Joshua (Get Valiant) canceled, so that makes it a little easier. Eating the hotel bill is the only thing holding me back, as $660 is a lot to walk away from. For some damn reason, Westin Seattle has a "no refund" clause during the Con season. Kinda shady. They've been holding still and not budging one bit. Kind of frustrating.

BTW, not scared of the virus, just doesn't seem like there's enough there to justify the $155 for four days. Thinking of sending my tix back, and just doing a one day thing.
Moose

nycjadie

Post by nycjadie »

TheeBaldMoose wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:59:45 am
nycjadie wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:45:30 pm I think I might be out. All the companies and dealers I normally see are out. Much of my favorite creators are out. Super bummer.

Hooser and I are just about out. Joshua (Get Valiant) canceled, so that makes it a little easier. Eating the hotel bill is the only thing holding me back, as $660 is a lot to walk away from. For some damn reason, Westin Seattle has a "no refund" clause during the Con season. Kinda shady. They've been holding still and not budging one bit. Kind of frustrating.

BTW, not scared of the virus, just doesn't seem like there's enough there to justify the $155 for four days. Thinking of sending my tix back, and just doing a one day thing.
That's kind of where I'm at. I'm not overly concerned about the virus. It's the lack of artists and exhibitors that is killing it for me.

The hotel thing is crap. Maybe you can just use the hotel and have a "tourist" weekend in Seattle. I hear restaurants are incredibly empty, as are most things. I'm back in town on Monday night, and expect to come back to a ghost town.

nycjadie

Post by nycjadie »

And it's postponed. Tickets will be refunded. I hope everyone can get refunds on their lodging and airfare.

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

I just saw Oni Press will be selling their ECCC exclusives online if anyone is interested.

nycjadie

Post by nycjadie »

SXSW was just cancelled.

Blood of Heroes
I only beat my wife when I'm sober.
I only beat my wife when I'm sober.

Post by Blood of Heroes »

This bs better not be going on during SDCC!! :sumo:

R Daneel
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Solar, Magnus
Favorite title: VEI Harbinger

Post by R Daneel »

I was supposed to be in Vegas all week for Worldwide Sales Kickoff 2020 ... they canceled it Friday night before I was supposed to travel on Saturday. :(

I don't think companies want the liability. Some major stuff getting canned right now!

nycjadie

Post by nycjadie »

Really hoping SDCC does not get cancelled. I've been trying to get tickets for over a decade, and this is my year!

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

nycjadie wrote:Really hoping SDCC does not get cancelled. I've been trying to get tickets for over a decade, and this is my year!
I think the hope is that by summer the worst will have passed. December-March is usually the peak time for Flu. I also suspect all the attention and panic will lead to a vaccination sooner rather than later.