Wizard World Chicago...7 days away.......Who's Comin'????

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Mr.V
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Wizard World Chicago...7 days away.......Who's Comin'????

Post by Mr.V »

So I am sitting here in my office today, finishing up the last of my grading/pricing for the upcoming con and wondered who all is gonna make it to Chicago this year? Anyone? :D :? :D

Mr.V
"Its only a movie"

tcolli
Forget Col Sanders - I'm the Chicken Man

Post by tcolli »

Sorry, I was going to go but decided I would rather go to the Big Apple to meet some posters and attend the Valiant meeting. I am whipped and can only go to one of the two. :!:
I do chicken right!

daydreamscomics
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla

Post by daydreamscomics »

i will be there selling for our shop. if i'm lucky they may even cut me loose so i can go look at comics :P

Christopher Martin
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill

Post by Christopher Martin »

I will be there!

ckb
Psssst. Hey buddy, need another CGC fix?

Post by ckb »

I'm in booth 2564, over next to Artist's Alley, where no one will find me.

:-)

x-omatic
Did someone call for a Hired Gun?

Post by x-omatic »

Since this is connected to Wizard and hell hasn't frozen over, I will not be attending.
http://chrismorrillart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mr.V

Post by Mr.V »

x-omatic wrote:Since this is connected to Wizard and hell hasn't frozen over, I will not be attending.
Aww :( , ignore all the Wizard stuff and come to enjoy everything else it has to offer :thumb:

Mr.V
"Its only a movie"

Brother J
Just trying to be self-deprecating
Just trying to be self-deprecating

Post by Brother J »

x-omatic wrote:Since this is connected to Wizard and hell hasn't frozen over, I will not be attending.
Even though I'm not a Wizard fan myself, this show is about as good as it gets for us out here in the Midwest. Just curious, are you saying that if the San Diego Comic Con was run by Wizard, you wouldn't go to that, either?

xoken
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance

Post by xoken »

I don't have the time to go to conventions but if I did I would stay away from the Wizard ones. Wizard are destroying comics with all thier price fixing and hype. I don't buy the magazine and I don't buy thier incentives so I won't go to the shows. I know they arent the only ones but I do my best to vote with my dollar whenever I can. I won't be buying the Solar litho or statue because I feel the same way about Dynamic Forces.

Mr.V

Post by Mr.V »

xoken wrote:I don't have the time to go to conventions but if I did I would stay away from the Wizard ones. Wizard are destroying comics with all thier price fixing and hype. I don't buy the magazine and I don't buy thier incentives so I won't go to the shows. I know they arent the only ones but I do my best to vote with my dollar whenever I can. I won't be buying the Solar litho or statue because I feel the same way about Dynamic Forces.
ok.

Mr.V
"Its only a movie"

dellamorte
Zombies and nightstand nightmares
Zombies and nightstand nightmares

Post by dellamorte »

Good thing I read this, I had forgotten when the show was. I'm gonna try and dig up some cash and go.

tcolli

Post by tcolli »

xoken wrote:I don't have the time to go to conventions but if I did I would stay away from the Wizard ones. Wizard are destroying comics with all thier price fixing and hype. I don't buy the magazine and I don't buy thier incentives so I won't go to the shows. I know they arent the only ones but I do my best to vote with my dollar whenever I can. I won't be buying the Solar litho or statue because I feel the same way about Dynamic Forces.
But let me guess, you are totally into CGC? :!:
I do chicken right!

xoken

Post by xoken »

tcolli wrote:
nope :sumo:

x-omatic

Post by x-omatic »

Brother J wrote:
Even though I'm not a Wizard fan myself, this show is about as good as it gets for us out here in the Midwest. Just curious, are you saying that if the San Diego Comic Con was run by Wizard, you wouldn't go to that, either?
Yes. Since Wizard started in the early 1990's comics have been more about money and less about story. Too much credit is given to what they think is "hot" and that can make or break a small press publisher. Too much speculation and focus on making money by selling for me.

No soup for you Wizard. Next!

ckb

Post by ckb »

Anyone who wants to go, pm or email me, and I may be able to get you in for free, at least for a day. If you are going to come for thw whole 3-days, buy a pass. :-)

tcolli

Post by tcolli »

xoken wrote:
tcolli wrote:
nope :sumo:
Thats cool then :thumb:
I do chicken right!

Christopher Martin

Post by Christopher Martin »

I already advance ordered a ticket in order to get the Spider-man comic. My strategy is going to be to hit all the company tables to score copies of the exclusive convention editions they are peddling, then raid all the dealer bins for bargains. It looks like I will also have my 8-month old son in tow, but I will use his stroller to help carry all the books I plan on buying.

slym2none
a typical message board assassin

Post by slym2none »

Christopher Martin wrote:I already advance ordered a ticket in order to get the Spider-man comic. My strategy is going to be to hit all the company tables to score copies of the exclusive convention editions they are peddling, then raid all the dealer bins for bargains. It looks like I will also have my 8-month old son in tow, but I will use his stroller to help carry all the books I plan on buying.
Now THAT'S efficient space-usage! Now let's hope the little guy doesn't have an "accident" on them... :bigeyes:

-slym
Some people spend their whole lives believing in fairy tales, usually because they don't want to give up the fabulous prizes.

x-omatic

Post by x-omatic »

Knightt_333 wrote:
x-omatic wrote:Yes. Since Wizard started in the early 1990's comics have been more about money and less about story. Too much credit is given to what they think is "hot" and that can make or break a small press publisher.
Valiant's success is due in many parts to Wizard. Hate to say it, but it's true.
If you mean success by selling 1.7 million copies of Turok you are right. Wizard brought in card dealers that specualted leading to the downfall of Valiant.

For me Valiant was a success because of great characters, well written stories, and great artwork. Wizard came along and noticed is all.

slym2none

Post by slym2none »

What is this "Wizard" you speak of? They must be a powerful mage indeed...

-slym *ducks and covers*
Some people spend their whole lives believing in fairy tales, usually because they don't want to give up the fabulous prizes.

Daniel Jackson
A toast to the return of Valiant!

Post by Daniel Jackson »

Knightt_333 wrote:Ignores slym, breaks wind and leaves the room.
Ha,ha,ha...what's that smell?

slym2none

Post by slym2none »

*waves hand in front of face*

Dang, K... what did you have for dinner, corned beef and cabbage?

-slym

Daniel Jackson

Post by Daniel Jackson »

Knightt_333 wrote:Nope... a midget.... carnie folk... smell like cabbage.
Nomads, you know. Small hands.

ckb

Post by ckb »

I'm all set up in Chicago. My CGC set has turned a few heads. Pictures when I get back. Met Mr. V and we cleaned out everyone else of good Valiants already... :-)

Mr.V

Post by Mr.V »

ckb wrote:I'm all set up in Chicago. My CGC set has turned a few heads. Pictures when I get back. Met Mr. V and we cleaned out everyone else of good Valiants already... :-)
That is correct Chris :thumb:. After hours of deliberating, I FINALLY managed to get my board books up :!: , but according to fellow dealers, it has turned out to be a nice selection :thumb:

I covered about 90% of the booths today, and from what I saw on the floor, CKB and I pretty much have the market cornered :D . Although I am not stocked with slabbed books like Chris :P , we together have more in raw quantity than the rest of the dealers COMBINED. This should be an interesting weekend.......

I'll post my purchases tomorrow evening after the annual poker tournament.

Mr.V

ps. Anyone attending should stop by and visit me at booth 2009, 2011: C&C Collectibles; located next to Motor City, right across from Moondog :thumb:
"Its only a movie"