Pittsburgh Toy and Comic Show

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

GJB
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Pittsburgh Toy and Comic Show

Post by GJB »

I had the pleasure of attending this event today and figured I'd throw some info out regarding the state of Valiant in western PA.

More often then not, most vendors told me they had "tons" of Valiants back at the store, but didn't bring any to the show. There were three or four guys who had some Valiants reasonably priced. Each dealer did know about Valiants' rise in popularity.

One guy, whom I made my biggest purchase with, said the mother of the guy that owns Wizard magazine bought a previously unknown wharehouse full of Valiant comics and they were making a comeback. I thought that was interesting, true or not.

All in all, the word is out, but many dealers are still willing to give you a good deal, which is refreshing. They know there is interest, but they are still unsure of pricing, IMO.

My purchases:

Deathmates (couldn't pass them up) Black, Yellow x2, Blue Golds .50 a piece.

Solar 2, 6, 11 $1.00 each
Magnus 2 $2.00
Magnus Invasion TPB .50

And the deals I'm still excited about:

Unity Red $25 (My first copy, I've never even come close to sniffing one of these beauties!)
Eternal Warrior Gold Embossed $10 (Again, beautiful condition and the first I've seen)

There were other pre unity issues for 30-40% below Gregs' guide prices and variant books below guide and additionaly 50% off.

I hope this was atleast slightly interesting. :wink:

G-

Daniel Jackson
A toast to the return of Valiant!
A toast to the return of Valiant!
Re: Pittsburgh Toy and Comic Show

Post by Daniel Jackson »

GJB wrote:I had the pleasure of attending this event today and figured I'd throw some info out regarding the state of Valiant in western PA.

More often then not, most vendors told me they had "tons" of Valiants back at the store, but didn't bring any to the show. There were three or four guys who had some Valiants reasonably priced. Each dealer did know about Valiants' rise in popularity.

One guy, whom I made my biggest purchase with, said the mother of the guy that owns Wizard magazine bought a previously unknown wharehouse full of Valiant comics and they were making a comeback. I thought that was interesting, true or not.

All in all, the word is out, but many dealers are still willing to give you a good deal, which is refreshing. They know there is interest, but they are still unsure of pricing, IMO.

My purchases:

Deathmates (couldn't pass them up) Black, Yellow x2, Blue Golds .50 a piece.

Solar 2, 6, 11 $1.00 each
Magnus 2 $2.00
Magnus Invasion TPB .50

And the deals I'm still excited about:

Unity Red $25 (My first copy, I've never even come close to sniffing one of these beauties!)
Eternal Warrior Gold Embossed $10 (Again, beautiful condition and the first I've seen)

There were other pre unity issues for 30-40% below Gregs' guide prices and variant books below guide and additionaly 50% off.

I hope this was atleast slightly interesting. :wink:

G-
Cool, glad to see you finally got your Unity Red (good price too). As far as the unknown warehouse full of Valiant comics, it's probably all Turok #1s and other common fodder.

GJB
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Re: Pittsburgh Toy and Comic Show

Post by GJB »

Daniel Jackson wrote: Cool, glad to see you finally got your Unity Red (good price too). As far as the unknown warehouse full of Valiant comics, it's probably all Turok #1s and other common fodder.
Thanks DJ, when he pulled it from behind his table, I about *SQUEE*. Agreed on the warehouse talk. I can't see why Garebs'? mom would buy a warehouse full of comics. Gareb yes, his mom....whatever.

shaxper
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago

Post by shaxper »

I could kick myself. I decided not to go because I didn't think there'd be many comic vendors there. Man, I really need a Unity Red and EW Gold too!

GJB
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

Post by GJB »

shaxper wrote:I could kick myself. I decided not to go because I didn't think there'd be many comic vendors there. Man, I really need a Unity Red and EW Gold too!
I almost didn't go myself shaxper, for the reason you noted. The reason I did was to make up for my inability to make it to a once a year comic sale up in Erie PA. The shop was openning their "spiders web", which is an attic, containing 250,000 comics to the public. I believe they only do this once a year. Otherwise, you need to send them a want list and they do the searching.

I wanted to check it out because last time I was there, I asked the owner if I could take a peek upstairs, but was declined. She was nice enough to take a quick look for me and she came down with some pre unity solar, magnus and harbinger books. Here's the kicker, they were all 50 cents a piece. Everything in the attic is 50 cents. So who knows what hidden gems are up there.

Anyway it turned out the trip up didn't fit into my schedule so I hit the toy show instead. I bought the early shoppers pass and the rest is history. Going forward, I think I'll keep going back because it seems each time I go, more vendors have Valiant comics. The key is to ask because they may not have them displayed as is the case with my Unity Red and EW Gold purchase.

I'd say there was 15-20 comic vendors there.

shaxper

Post by shaxper »

GJB wrote: I'd say there was 15-20 comic vendors there.

You did that well with only 15-20 vendors. Damn, I'm impressed.

Can you give me more info on this Spider's Web attic sale? It sounds like something I might want to look into.

GJB
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

Post by GJB »

shaxper wrote:Can you give me more info on this Spider's Web attic sale? It sounds like something I might want to look into.
Here's the link to the store's web site. Click "Bargain Comics". You'll see a picture of "Spidey's Web". Scroll to the bottom and click the link that says, "Next Members Only Club Sale", and you'll get the details.

Good luck!

G-

http://www.geocities.com/eriebooksgalore/