Baltimore comic Con. Who's going to be there?

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Valiant OCD
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Baltimore comic Con. Who's going to be there?

Post by Valiant OCD »

Sept. 17 and 18, at the Balmore convention center (hun' :P ) Any one going to make the trip? I was wondering if anyone knew wether CGC was going to be there for onsite grading? Thier website info is a bit confusing.
When I was five, I dragged my dad into "Mike's Comic Hut"... If only I'd known..

Warrior-13
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)

Post by Warrior-13 »

:thumb: I'll be there this year, going to try and get some sketches and some of my want list at a reasonable price. Don't ever recall CGC being there, well at least not last year, could be wrong though.

tssgery
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.

Post by tssgery »

I was thinking about, my son has a couple of soccer games that weekend but it's only an hour drive for me...

Valiant OCD
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by Valiant OCD »

Tommorow is the big day! for this event. I'll be the only guy at 250lbs in a Turok T!!! Thanks Justin! If you see me there step up and say hello. I'll be there early (10am till 1:00pm) as I have a crab feast to attend in the afternoon. I'll check back if I find anything cool.
When I was five, I dragged my dad into "Mike's Comic Hut"... If only I'd known..

Valiant OCD
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by Valiant OCD »

Convention was pretty nice. I noticed quite a few dealers with Pre Unity stuff up on the wall. On guy in the front left corner was asking some absurd prices for valiants. for example, $50.00 for a Rai Blue TPB Variant. $80.00 bucks for a Harby #0 Pink in questionable shape. I found a handful of EW's 43 thru 48 and a #50 that i would have liked to buy from the guy, I offered him $15.00 as most of the stuff was $1.00 box fodder and only the #50 could be of any real value, and mister seller told me "I can't do that! The #50 is $15.00 on its own!" I told him thanks anyway. he's probably still waiting for me to change my mind. :lol:

The big find for me was at a booth in the middel of the hall. A dealer had a bunch of $2.00 boxes on the floor beneath his tables and I began rummaging through them. In the middle were a few long boxes without any $2.00 signs. It didn't take long for me to find unbagged copies of MRF #2 through 14+ #64, and Rai #0 through 8,........... as you can imagine I was pretty excited. Just about that time the dealer looks at what I'm pulling out of the boxes and says, "those boxes are from a new collection, and I haven't had a chance to price them yet....." :!: :!: I say thanks and keep digging. All in all I pull out the following:

MRF 2 - 14 (with coupons) + #64 final issue(beautiful shape)
Shadowman 1-4
Harbinger 2,4 with coupons
Solar 2,3,10 (2nd) print, and #60 final issue
XO Manowar 0,1-4 68 final issue #1 has the best spine I've seen
Rai 0 - 8 including a well centered #3, and a gorgeous copy of #2 and 4

Average grade is easily NM. Some slight rubbing and a hint of a spine curl on a book or two. Needless to say I am thrilled. Now picture me there on my knees with $300. to $400.00 worth on books in my hands and I have to go haggle with the dealer. ............ I stand up and approach the guy with a smile and I say

"41 books".

" Let me take a look at what you've got"

knowing full well what i've got! the guys been hawking me for ten minutes getting more and more agitated with each book I pull out.........
I can feel the tension as this guy flips throuh the books trying to decide whether or not i am going to hold him to the coals and argue about the $2.00 each section i found them in. He knows he's screwed up by not going through the boxes before he put them out. Question is, how am I going to take it when he tries to get top dollar out of me......

"Believe it or not, your already up to $280.00 and I'm not done with the stack" He says nervously

"well let me save you some time, I've got $100.00 in my pocket and thats it. If you can't let them go for that, I guess i did you a favor by digging them out and your welcome......."

Uncomfortable Silence........ I can see this guy is trying to be fair and not wanting to get totally screwed. I know a bunch of sellers who'd have said. "I cant do it for that" and put the books away. But After a minute i hear him say something about %50 off, and i jump on the thought faster than lightning.

"I'll tell you what, I'll go to an ATM and get $40.00 more and there's your half of $280.00,... Deal?..........."

The guy thinks for a minute and finnally gives in .

"OK fair enough. "

Long story short I come back with the cash and thank the guy for being so fair, and he thanks me for my honesty. I thought that was a fair deal all those key books for $3.33 each. A *SQUEE* mothers day miracle!!!

Anyway thats my story from the convention. I didn't run into any board members, but I hope I'll catch you next time.

Warrior-13

Post by Warrior-13 »

The dealer next to the concession stand (which would be on the far left from when you first enter) was pretty much going to other dealers asking for Valiants & Deadpools(among other titles). Overheard him a couple of times from other tables I was buying from, this guy is notorious for overpricing stuff in hopes that people would buy it for his stated price. He'll go lower if he has to, I'm sure today (last day of the con) he'll let it go for half price. Dealt with this guy only once a few years ago and that was enough for me.

Wasn't really looking for Valiants but I stumbled on to a Solar 1 & 6 in VF shape in the $1 box so I picked them up as readers/trade bait for the future.

Picked up 3/4 of the 1st Moon Knight run for like 10 bucks which I was pretty happy about (been wanting to reread these for a while now)

Really surprised how Liefeld was so popular, his line never really seemed to go down.

Overall had a really good time, hope to go again next year.

xoken
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance

Post by xoken »

Valiant OCD wrote:Convention was pretty nice. I noticed quite a few dealers with Pre Unity stuff up on the wall. On guy in the front left corner was asking some absurd prices for valiants. for example, $50.00 for a Rai Blue TPB Variant. $80.00 bucks for a Harby #0 Pink in questionable shape. I found a handful of EW's 43 thru 48 and a #50 that i would have liked to buy from the guy, I offered him $15.00 as most of the stuff was $1.00 box fodder and only the #50 could be of any real value, and mister seller told me "I can't do that! The #50 is $15.00 on its own!" I told him thanks anyway. he's probably still waiting for me to change my mind. :lol:

The big find for me was at a booth in the middel of the hall. A dealer had a bunch of $2.00 boxes on the floor beneath his tables and I began rummaging through them. In the middle were a few long boxes without any $2.00 signs. It didn't take long for me to find unbagged copies of MRF #2 through 14+ #64, and Rai #0 through 8,........... as you can imagine I was pretty excited. Just about that time the dealer looks at what I'm pulling out of the boxes and says, "those boxes are from a new collection, and I haven't had a chance to price them yet....." :!: :!: I say thanks and keep digging. All in all I pull out the following:

MRF 2 - 14 (with coupons) + #64 final issue(beautiful shape)
Shadowman 1-4
Harbinger 2,4 with coupons
Solar 2,3,10 (2nd) print, and #60 final issue
XO Manowar 0,1-4 68 final issue #1 has the best spine I've seen
Rai 0 - 8 including a well centered #3, and a gorgeous copy of #2 and 4

Average grade is easily NM. Some slight rubbing and a hint of a spine curl on a book or two. Needless to say I am thrilled. Now picture me there on my knees with $300. to $400.00 worth on books in my hands and I have to go haggle with the dealer. ............ I stand up and approach the guy with a smile and I say

"41 books".

" Let me take a look at what you've got"

knowing full well what i've got! the guys been hawking me for ten minutes getting more and more agitated with each book I pull out.........
I can feel the tension as this guy flips throuh the books trying to decide whether or not i am going to hold him to the coals and argue about the $2.00 each section i found them in. He knows he's screwed up by not going through the boxes before he put them out. Question is, how am I going to take it when he tries to get top dollar out of me......

"Believe it or not, your already up to $280.00 and I'm not done with the stack" He says nervously

"well let me save you some time, I've got $100.00 in my pocket and thats it. If you can't let them go for that, I guess i did you a favor by digging them out and your welcome......."

Uncomfortable Silence........ I can see this guy is trying to be fair and not wanting to get totally screwed. I know a bunch of sellers who'd have said. "I cant do it for that" and put the books away. But After a minute i hear him say something about %50 off, and i jump on the thought faster than lightning.

"I'll tell you what, I'll go to an ATM and get $40.00 more and there's your half of $280.00,... Deal?..........."

The guy thinks for a minute and finnally gives in .

"OK fair enough. "

Long story short I come back with the cash and thank the guy for being so fair, and he thanks me for my honesty. I thought that was a fair deal all those key books for $3.33 each. A *SKREE* mothers day miracle!!!

Anyway thats my story from the convention. I didn't run into any board members, but I hope I'll catch you next time.
Nice story, great score. Congrats.

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

Valiant OCD wrote:I found a handful of EW's 43 thru 48 and a #50 that i would have liked to buy from the guy, I offered him $15.00 as most of the stuff was $1.00 box fodder and only the #50 could be of any real value, and mister seller told me "I can't do that! The #50 is $15.00 on its own!" I told him thanks anyway. he's probably still waiting for me to change my mind. :lol:
This sounds like the guy from San Diego that Justin spent $0 with. :thumb:

Brother J
Just trying to be self-deprecating
Just trying to be self-deprecating

Post by Brother J »

greg wrote:
Valiant OCD wrote:I found a handful of EW's 43 thru 48 and a #50 that i would have liked to buy from the guy, I offered him $15.00 as most of the stuff was $1.00 box fodder and only the #50 could be of any real value, and mister seller told me "I can't do that! The #50 is $15.00 on its own!" I told him thanks anyway. he's probably still waiting for me to change my mind. :lol:
funny, I've been finding quite a few guys with Valiants lately that I end up spending $0 with... :lol:

I'm talking about at shows, why the heck is it these guys hear Valiants are making a comeback and decide they're going to price them out of this world?

Valiant OCD
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by Valiant OCD »

greg wrote:
Here's an interesting tidbit, according to the map of the convention, Mr. overpriced dealer's booth was rented by none other than "neatstuff collectibles". I seem to remember some board members complaining about this guy awhile back.

shadowmite
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons

Post by shadowmite »

Valiant OCD wrote:
greg wrote:
Here's an interesting tidbit, according to the map of the convention, Mr. overpriced dealer's booth was rented by none other than "neatstuff collectibles". I seem to remember some board members complaining about this guy awhile back.
I was sure it was him. The $50 blue trade gave it away. He's pricey on VH1 but he doesn't know his VH2 at all. I think it was svair who got a good/bad/ugly from him for $10 two weeks ago. Neatstuff does suprisingly well with his books. Im betting he sold that EW 50 for $15 in the end. I guess his customers are just used to paying too much for thier books :lol:
Actually, I've been noticing that alot of the valiant books I'm turning down because they are overpriced (more than you would find them on ebay) end up selling by the end of a con.

ckb
Psssst. Hey buddy, need another CGC fix?
Psssst. Hey buddy, need another CGC fix?

Post by ckb »

I don't consider the post chaos effect books (maybe a little later than that) dollar bin fodder any more. I use mile high as a benchmark. He just got some BS 51's in that will set you back over $40. But even the very late runs are in the $3-$7 range.

Valiant OCD
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by Valiant OCD »

ckb wrote:I don't consider the post chaos effect books (maybe a little later than that) dollar bin fodder any more. I use mile high as a benchmark. He just got some BS 51's in that will set you back over $40. But even the very late runs are in the $3-$7 range.
I guess I'd have to aggree. especially considering how much trouble I've had finding that little run of EWs. The convention on Sat was the first time I'd seen the books let alone had a chance to buy them. I guess I'll have to raise my offering price a bit.....