Greensboro, NC Convention on October 8-9

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Todd Luck
Doomed to forever roam the black halls
Greensboro, NC Convention on October 8-9

Post by Todd Luck »

I just wanted to remind everyone in and around NC of the Part Unknown convention in Greensboro, NC on October 8-9. It's not that big but I usually find a lot of great comics there at a good price. Some very cool guests are coming too:

http://www.partsunknown.net/con_200510.html

I go there every year. But money may be tight this time since I just lost my very short lived job. However since I just moved, it's literally now right down the street from me, so I'll try to make there regardless.

Todd Luck

Post by Todd Luck »

I've got a temp job and some money flowing in, so I'll definately be there next Saturday (for most of the day, probably). If anyone else can make it, let me know.

Manowar Class
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill

Post by Manowar Class »

Hey there,

I live in Charlotte, but I'd like to get up there adn I think I can make it. I like meeting people from the boards too. I've already met Slym2none and schmakt and I thought that was cool. I know winston better than I do Greensboro tho. I only know where four seasons mall is. Let me know what day you want to go and I can prolly meet up with you.

Later Todd,

MC
I feel like I've been caught with my hand in the tofu."

slym2none
a typical message board assassin

Post by slym2none »

:think:

-slym
Some people spend their whole lives believing in fairy tales, usually because they don't want to give up the fabulous prizes.

Todd Luck

Post by Todd Luck »

The convention center is pretty much in the parking lot of Four Seasons Mall, so if you know how to get to Four Seasons you know where Koury Convention Center is.

I'll be there Saturday. I'll probably be wearing my green Darth Maul T-shirt (I'll definately be wearing my glasses :) ), if anyone wants to say "hi" to me.

slym2none

Post by slym2none »

...maybe Sunday, as I have a pig-pickin' to go to on Saturday!

Mmm, BBQ pork........ :cloud9:

-slym
Some people spend their whole lives believing in fairy tales, usually because they don't want to give up the fabulous prizes.

Todd Luck

Post by Todd Luck »

Here's an article about the convention and the guy who runs it...

http://www.news-record.com/apps/pbcs.dl ... SREC020401

The descriptives are hillarious. I think his hands are a bit smaller than a catcher's mit :) .

Todd Luck

Post by Todd Luck »

Just got back. I got 75 comics for $25! The selection on the discounts bins was overwhelming!

If you go and you want comics published between 1980-2000 go to the vendor in the back left corner first! He has 5 for a dollar boxes with the best selection I've ever seen. Tons of Post -Unity Valiants (and we're not just talking about the ones with the high print ones). Tons of Marvel, DC, New Universe, First, Eclipse, you name it.

After that there are some 3 for a dollar boxes on the floor along the back and a vendor with 50 cent boxes by the door, all of which have a nice mix (including some Valiants). Amoung all the vendors there's a very nice mix from all the major companies and ages.

Tommy Lee Edwards is there. He did a few issues of Secret Weapons and, no, he didn't keep the orginal art (he didn't think his work on the comic was very good). But he does have a very nice, thick studio sketch book with art by himself, Benard Chang, Sean Chen, and other at his table. They sell it at conventions for $20.

No one said "hi." But it was very crowded in there so if anyone went and missed me I understand.
Last edited by Todd Luck on Sat Oct 08, 2005 7:45:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Daniel Jackson
A toast to the return of Valiant!

Post by Daniel Jackson »

Nice to hear you got some deals.

Todd Luck

Post by Todd Luck »

Yeah it was the best haul I've ever come out of a convention with and I still left a lot of stuff behind that I wanted.

Daniel Jackson

Post by Daniel Jackson »

Todd Luck wrote:Yeah it was the best haul I've ever come out of a convention with and I still left a lot of stuff behind that I wanted.
Sounds like you better take a wheelbarrow with you next time. (That would sure turn some heads wouldn't it?)

Todd Luck

Post by Todd Luck »

Daniel Jackson wrote:
Todd Luck wrote:Yeah it was the best haul I've ever come out of a convention with and I still left a lot of stuff behind that I wanted.
Sounds like you better take a wheelbarrow with you next time. (That would sure turn some heads wouldn't it?)
Actually one of the retailers, after seeing that I was carrying a plastic bag in each hand with 30+ comics a piece in them, gave me a free paper grocery bag to carry them in (they were offering to charge 50 dollars for all the comics you could fit into a grocery bag, since 75 comics filled half of it, that would've been a pretty good deal :) ). You should've seen my wife asking me what I was doing coming home from a comic convention with a bag that big :) .

I take it no one else made it?

Rai-fan
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons
!

Post by Rai-fan »

Sorry, didn't make it.

But Greensboro REPRESENT!!

I went to undergrad there (Guilford) & enjoyed the local store (on Battleground) very much...

Todd Luck
Re: !

Post by Todd Luck »

Rai-fan wrote:Sorry, didn't make it.

But Greensboro REPRESENT!!

I went to undergrad there (Guilford) & enjoyed the local store (on Battleground) very much...
Are you talking about Acme? if you had to do business with them, my condolences :lol: .

Sorry I just like cracking on Acme :) . They're one shop I tend to avoid because their back issues are so jacked up. They'll put issues that are worthless in there and then charge cover price plus fifty cent just for bagging and boarding it. I'm sure it's a great shop other than that with a decent pull service and cool guys running it and all.