Our Relay for Life Team

Board member driven topics. Participation is completely voluntary.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Serpymatt
My posts can all fit in a short box
Our Relay for Life Team

Post by Serpymatt »

Hi everyone! Relay for Life is quickly appearing on the horizon this year and I wanted to try to reach out and do some online fundraising again. I would like to share with all of you the story behind my wife's team, the Garden Gremlins.

My wife's grandfather was an amazing man. He would always be there to help out anyone and beat prostate cancer, but it came back and took him from us in 2004. My wife started her team to honor his memory and the lives of all those we know who have been touched by cancer in some way.

The team gets it's name from a moniker given to her grandfather Carl by some church members. He would constantly work in the garden at church, so much so that when you were unsure of where he was, you could probably find him there. Well, one day one of the ladies found him face down in the bushes. She panicked, as would be the common sense thing to do, but he was ok - he was actually trimming the grass around the bushes with a pair of scissors! A few of the church members politely asked him to let younger members of the congregation take care of the gardening so he wouldn't scare the ladies any more :)

He reluctantly agreed, but SOMEHOW, the small things around the garden kept getting done with no one supposedly working on them. That's how we came to call him the Garden Gremlin and that's the name of our team :)

We're a small team in the grand scheme of things, but we try our hardest every year to bring any amount of money we can to help fund research, and hopefully a cure. I know I look forward to the day that we don't HAVE to relay because we've beaten cancer, but we will chose to CELEBRATE our victory every year so that no one will forget what we can all do when we pull together.

If any of you are able to make any donation, my wife and I would greatly appreciate it if you would check out her page and do so. Thank you so much for looking and if you have time, try to get involved in the Relay for Life... it is definitely worth it! :)

http://main.acsevents.org/site/TR/Relay ... r_id=38002" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SerpyMatt

Knightt
Master of the Dead Universes
Master of the Dead Universes
Re: Our Relay for Life Team

Post by Knightt »

Well then, lets get this party started !!!

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Serpymatt
Re: Our Relay for Life Team

Post by Serpymatt »

Knightt wrote:Well then, lets get this party started !!!

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
Any help is greatly appreciated! :)
SerpyMatt