Which members of this board read Crossgen comics?

Comic universes no longer active, Bravura, Continuity, CrossGen, Future, Malibu, Ultraverse... and others that are 'no longer with us' today (or only recently brought back).

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

buff-beardo
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Solar
Favorite title: Solar
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: BWS
Which members of this board read Crossgen comics?

Post by buff-beardo »

I was curious as to how many members of this board collect and read Crossgen comics? I've been picking up numerous issues from their various titles and have been enjoying them quite a bit. So far, my favorite titles are Scion and Sigil. I just picked up a large lot on ebay that I will post when I receive it in the mail. :thumb:

slym2none
a typical message board assassin
a typical message board assassin

Post by slym2none »

Sojourn and Brath were the two that caught my eye, although Ruse was rather good reading.

-slym (has complete runs of those two titles)
Some people spend their whole lives believing in fairy tales, usually because they don't want to give up the fabulous prizes.

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

I bought several off a guy at the flea market who has stacks of them for a dollar a piece.

Stacks and stacks of the same 20 or so comics.

But they are arranged neatly.

myron
I do embrace my inner geekdom
I do embrace my inner geekdom
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Pre-Unity Harbinger

Post by myron »

I have some from almost every run but not a complete run of any...
Why waste time learning, when ignorance is instantaneous?

miracle.eli
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?
MEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

Post by miracle.eli »

Of the CGU-based line I have all but Sojourn complete (and a few reprinted issues). Scion is definitely one of my faves until Ron and Jim left on #43 - they should have cancelled/rebooted there.

The books by Tony Bedard are some of the best though: NEGATION, Rt 666, and MYSTIC (with Aaron Lopresti) are all solid. I have to say I was very underwhelmed with Sojourn and Brath, but to each their own.

My pick for art and storytelling has to go to the PATH, until Matt Smith left. Bart Sears turned in some of his best art on issues 0-12, and on the FIRST before that.

I see you've posted over on the http://www.CGCreators.net forum Buff - I hope more people find that board and get involved like the peeps here...

.wil.

Knightt
Master of the Dead Universes

Post by Knightt »

I am WANTING to finish up my Crossgen collection like crazy mad !!! This is what I have left and I am waiting to get them all (well at least all of the Sigil-Centric titles) until I start to read them in earnest.

Here is my current needs list (although I have about six issues at home that I have updated). Can anybody help me out here ? I have a few extras to trade or can buy them straight up, I just want to finish the collection... it's driving me CRAZY.
Knightt wrote:I guess that I will update my 'as far as I know' Crossgen Needs List:

SIGIL-CENTRIC
CROSSGENESIS

MYSTIC 6, 7, 15

THE FIRST 8, 12

SOJOURN 15, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 26, 27, 28, 31, 32, 33, 34

NEGATION 18, 19, 27

THE PATH 0 (prequel) 4, 5, 6, 9, 10, 14

WAY OF THE RAT 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 10, 13, 14, 15
The Silken Ghost 4 (mini-series)

NON-SIGIL-CENTRIC or Code 6

R. A. SALVATORE'S DEMON WARS:
Eye for an Eye 2, 5

KISS KISS BANG BANG 1, 3, 5

BRIAN PULIDO'S LADY DEATH:
"A Medieval Tale" 2, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12,
"The Wild Hunt" 1 & 2

All He-Man

All Dragon’s Lair

All Space Ace

All Snake Pliskin

All Rob Zombie
In reference to The Crossovers, does anyone know the exact print run on these ? I have up to #10 and I do not know if there are more. I have the list as complete as I 'think' is out there but I need to confirm this so that I can update the 'official list' found here:

viewtopic.php?t=7979
Last edited by Knightt on Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:27:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rocket2600
Get those scissors away from my coupons

Post by Rocket2600 »

The Crossovers ran until issue #9. I have that title complete. :thumb:

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

ok sounds about right but I have an Overstreet reading 1-12... :wink:

Is there another shred of information confirming 9 or 12 ? :wink:

Not doubting that you have issues 1-9 because I have that as well but how do you know that you/I have that title complete ?

Rocket2600

Post by Rocket2600 »

http://www.comicspriceguide.com/forum2/ ... hichpage=1

Robert Alvarez has a full run of Crossgen and if there were a #10-12 I'm sure he would have found and posted about them. :wink:

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

Looks good enough for me, but man, I have been looking for an official list for what seems like forever. :wink:

dac55
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by dac55 »

I read them Thanks Knightt. :thumb:

David
Last edited by dac55 on Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:50:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheQuestionMan

Post by TheQuestionMan »

My Top Five CrossGen Comic Pics are:
01. Way of the Rat
02. Ruse
03. Meridian
04. Scion
05. Lady Death: The Wild Hunt

Cheers :D

QM :?

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

I have not read ANY title to completion yet... so I cannot rank them but if I were so far out of that list I would guess that Ruse would be on it. What looks good to me is:

Sojourn
Ruse
The Path
Negation War

I cant wait to finish my needs list so that I can start reading the crap outta these.

dac55
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
books

Post by dac55 »

I think so far mine would be just because I have almost all of these is.

Sigil
Rout 666
Negation

David

miracle.eli

Post by miracle.eli »

Knightt wrote:I have not read ANY title to completion yet... so I cannot rank them but if I were so far out of that list I would guess that Ruse would be on it. What looks good to me is:

Sojourn
Ruse
The Path
Negation War

I cant wait to finish my needs list so that I can start reading the crap outta these.
Knightt-

RUSE is great all the way thru - I loved it, and I did not care for Butch Guice's artwork until that title - Mike Perkins' inking is also superb on this book.

You've GOT to sell me on Sojourn though -- I can't stand the re-used/lightboxed artwork, and in my opinion Ron Marz has done much better. What's the attraction? I can't figure out how this was CG's biggest-seller...

.wil.

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

miracle.eli wrote:I did not care for Butch Guice's artwork until that title - Mike Perkins' inking is also superb on this book.
SAME HERE...
miracle.eli wrote:You've GOT to sell me on Sojourn though -- I can't stand the re-used/lightboxed artwork, and in my opinion Ron Marz has done much better. What's the attraction? I can't figure out how this was CG's biggest-seller...
Well I think it is a pretty good storyline from what I can tell but it would REALLY be the Greg Land art. I think he added a lot to the title just as he is doing today. When you mention 're-used/lightboxed artwork', what do you mean ?

miracle.eli

Post by miracle.eli »

Knightt wrote:Well I think it is a pretty good storyline from what I can tell but it would REALLY be the Greg Land art. I think he added a lot to the title just as he is doing today. When you mention 're-used/lightboxed artwork', what do you mean ?
The story does get better as it develops; IMO the first two trades are kinda weak in terms of dialogue.

By 're-used/lightboxed' I am referring to Land's technique of using a glass table with a lamp or lights underneath to replicate his own drawings in different panels. Sometimes the size or scale is changed (using a photocopier presumably) but you can see the exact same facial expressions used in multiple panels, and sometimes even the same head on a different character. This becomes more apparent if you read his books in trade form. Additionally, I believe that Land over-uses photoreference, giving his figures a forced pose in most of his work which I do not care for as an artist or a reader.

Just my opinion; I don't have all the issues for this title, but I do have it in trades plus the uncollected comics.

.wil.

Brother J
Just trying to be self-deprecating

Post by Brother J »

All I know is Land draws some hot looking chicks, so he's ok in my book! :thumb:

Just read the first 10 issues of Sojourn and I intend to read up to where I am missing issues at, but so far, I really like it. A real Lord of the Rings type feel to it. The only thing I am fearing is I believe these stories were never completed before the company went belly up. I certainly hope I'm not setting myself up for disappointment with an incomplete story. :(

Bloodshot67
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
Re: Which members of this board read Crossgen comics?

Post by Bloodshot67 »

buff-beardo wrote:I was curious as to how many members of this board collect and read Crossgen comics? I've been picking up numerous issues from their various titles and have been enjoying them quite a bit. So far, my favorite titles are Scion and Sigil. I just picked up a large lot on ebay that I will post when I receive it in the mail. :thumb:
I collect them. I like to read Crux. :clap:

dac55
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Re: Which members of this board read Crossgen comics?

Post by dac55 »

Bloodshot67 wrote:
buff-beardo wrote:I was curious as to how many members of this board collect and read Crossgen comics? I've been picking up numerous issues from their various titles and have been enjoying them quite a bit. So far, my favorite titles are Scion and Sigil. I just picked up a large lot on ebay that I will post when I receive it in the mail. :thumb:
I collect them. I like to read Crux. :clap:
Thats a good one too. ( CRUX )

And welcome to the Dead Universes. :thumb:

David

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

I have completed my run on Crux but dammit, I am going to wait until I have ALL of my Crossgen collection completed until I read it. But Crux is one of my MOST anticipated reads from this Dead Universe.

Brother J

Post by Brother J »

Knightt wrote:I have completed my run on Crux but dammit, I am going to wait until I have ALL of my Crossgen collection completed until I read it. But Crux is one of my MOST anticipated reads from this Dead Universe.
I understand wanting to wait until you have them all before reading, but if Sojourn is any indication of the rest of the line, they probably stand pretty well on their own. Other than the sigil being the source of the baddies' power, there really hasn't been any crossing over in that book. I'm hoping to find the rest of the issues I need soon. My local LCS that usually hooks me up with deals wouldn't budge on these. He wanted $2 a book. I guess it's fair, but I paid .50 each for all the other ones I have, so I was only willing to pay $1 a book tops.

Flinx

Post by Flinx »

Ruse is the only one I've read.

whovianone
...it hurts so much ...my brain hurts!
...it hurts so much ...my brain hurts!

Post by whovianone »

I've read a bit from Meridian, Sigil, Ruse and C. Chronicles. I like all I read, but don't have many long runs. I'm waiting a bit so I don't have to skip around then fill holes in my reading.

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

Flinx wrote:Ruse is the only one I've read.
It looks GREAT. The art looks simply gorgoues and from what I have heard of the stories, makes me very anxious to read them (now that I have a complete run).

But from what I gather, you can read a title and they are stand alone titles ? Is this true ?