Just bought my first crossgen books

Comic universes no longer active, Bravura, Continuity, CrossGen, Future, Malibu, Ultraverse... and others that are 'no longer with us' today (or only recently brought back).

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that
Just bought my first crossgen books

Post by Elveen »

So I just bought Ruse #2-6.

Now I've read a few Crossgen books before I sent them off to some dudes here, but I have never bought any for myself.

I am a bit concerned that I might be starting a "new" area of collecting. I don't have my VH1 reading runs done yet (I'm close, like 10 books), and I know I will venture on to VH2 and VH3. Defiant and Broadway seem interesting, but this Crossgen.... :hm: :hm: :hm: :hm: :hm:

I feel like I might be getting the bug.

Just thought this was the place to share.

dac55
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Re: Just bought my first crossgen books

Post by dac55 »

Elveen wrote:So I just bought Ruse #2-6.

Now I've read a few Crossgen books before I sent them off to some dudes here, but I have never bought any for myself.

I am a bit concerned that I might be starting a "new" area of collecting. I don't have my VH1 reading runs done yet (I'm close, like 10 books), and I know I will venture on to VH2 and VH3. Defiant and Broadway seem interesting, but this Crossgen.... :hm: :hm: :hm: :hm: :hm:

You are DOOMED. :lol:
They are really good read Elveen. And thank you for sending me some.
I like them next to the Valiants. Knightt got me started and I'm glad he did. :thumb:

David

TKWill
Don't squeeze the Deathmate!

Post by TKWill »

I received my first Crossgen book today. I promptly filed it away, don't even know what it was. I hope I forget all about it before the I get the itch.

Knightt
Master of the Dead Universes

Post by Knightt »

Both of you.... joinnnnnnn usssssssssssssssssssss

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

Ahem...

Elveen - Ultraverse....

(TKW may or may not have a large Ultraverse batch headed his way soon)

Elveen

Post by Elveen »

Chiclo wrote:Ahem...

Elveen - Ultraverse....

ok..... tell me.... what are the best books to begin with.

My wife is gonna kill me........

Chiclo

Post by Chiclo »

Elveen wrote:
Chiclo wrote:Ahem...

Elveen - Ultraverse....

ok..... tell me.... what are the best books to begin with.

My wife is gonna kill me........
An interesting question. Ultraverse started with three titles and launched two new ones for several months.

I'd say Hardcase would be the one to start with. Prime, Mantra and Nightman were pretty good, too. Exiles was very good and there are only 4 issues. Rune was done by BWS. UH2 (anything with a cover price of $1.50) was pretty lame all around. It is analogous to VH1 vs. VH2, but Ultraverse really starts sliding downhill around issue 20 across the board.

In Bravura (also by Malibu) I really REALLY recommend Breed (both series) and Dreadstar. Both are very good.

PM me your address and I'll send you some Ultraverse comics. Just don't expect me to send them tomorrow.

slym2none
a typical message board assassin

Post by slym2none »

You can't really go wrong with CrossGen - it's not that difficult a set to put together. Only about as large as VALIANT's, with no variants! The TPB's, esp. the Traveller sizes, can be a pain, and the Sojourn Collected Edition is rumoured to have a print run of only about 1200, but otherwise, thay are there, and from what I've read, and what I've heard about the rest, you can't really go wrong.

:thumb:

-slym (almost forgot about the Retailer Review issues...) :twisted: :hm: :D
Some people spend their whole lives believing in fairy tales, usually because they don't want to give up the fabulous prizes.

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

Chiclo wrote:In Bravura (also by Malibu) I really REALLY recommend Breed (both series) and Dreadstar.
I would really recommend Dreadstar only if you've read the early stuff it'll help you understand it a lot more.

Start with The Metamorphosis Odyssey, The Price, and Marvel's Dreadstar Graphic Novel then read Epic Illustrated #15. That's just prelude.

Then read Dreadstar #1-39, Crossroads #5, then read Dreadstar #40-65, and The Gift First Comics Christmas Special.

Then read the Bravura series.

leonmallett
My mind is sharp. Like a sharp thing.
My mind is sharp. Like a sharp thing.
Valiant fan since: 2006
Favorite character: Shadowman (Hall version)
Favorite title: Shadowman (under Hall)
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry
Location: hunting down paulsmith56 somewhere in the balti belt...

Post by leonmallett »

Cyberstrike wrote:
Chiclo wrote:In Bravura (also by Malibu) I really REALLY recommend Breed (both series) and Dreadstar.
I would really recommend Dreadstar only if you've read the early stuff it'll help you understand it a lot more.

Start with The Metamorphosis Odyssey, The Price, and Marvel's Dreadstar Graphic Novel then read Epic Illustrated #15. That's just prelude.

Then read Dreadstar #1-39, Crossroads #5, then read Dreadstar #40-65, and The Gift First Comics Christmas Special.

Makes you think that a publisher need to try to gather these books/stories back together to re-publish in a more accessible manner.

h-comics
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
love it

Post by h-comics »

You can not go wrong with Crossgen! I just started about a month ago and I am hook on this Dead Universe.I am almost completing some sets,but the most important about this Universe that it has wonderful art and the reading is great.I read a couple of issue every night if I get the chance.I just wish I would have started on it sooner.

Jesse

Lightning Strike
Silent from '04 to '07, then he strikes!
Re: Just bought my first crossgen books

Post by Lightning Strike »

Elveen wrote:So I just bought Ruse #2-6.

At the time, Ruse was my favorite CG book until Waid left, then it went downhill fast. My favorite CG book though is Negation--great concept, sensational art and very good writing. That book, simply put, is awesome!
If you can find the set for a good price, you'd be doing yourself a favor Elveen. :)

Lightning Strike

Elveen wrote: ok..... tell me.... what are the best books to begin with.
Ultraforce was really good, although I'm biased because Perez is my favorite artist. The "Godwheel" was pretty good too.

Elveen wrote:My wife is gonna kill me........
:lol:

Lightning Strike

Chiclo wrote:
In Bravura (also by Malibu) I really REALLY recommend Breed (both series) and Dreadstar. Both are very good.
Yeah, Dreadstar was really good. Starlin's art was solid as usual.

Lightning Strike

slym2none wrote:You can't really go wrong with CrossGen -

I pretty much agree with that. The sole exceptions being Meridian and Mystic. I just couldn't get into those two CG books.

Chiclo

Post by Chiclo »

slym2none wrote:You can't really go wrong with CrossGen - it's not that difficult a set to put together. Only about as large as VALIANT's, with no variants! The TPB's, esp. the Traveller sizes, can be a pain, and the Sojourn Collected Edition is rumoured to have a print run of only about 1200, but otherwise, thay are there, and from what I've read, and what I've heard about the rest, you can't really go wrong.

If anyone needs a reader copy, a guy at the flea market has a small stack of those for a dollar a piece. I've even got a spare copy myself.

TKWill

Post by TKWill »

Chiclo wrote:
slym2none wrote:You can't really go wrong with CrossGen - it's not that difficult a set to put together. Only about as large as VALIANT's, with no variants! The TPB's, esp. the Traveller sizes, can be a pain, and the Sojourn Collected Edition is rumoured to have a print run of only about 1200, but otherwise, thay are there, and from what I've read, and what I've heard about the rest, you can't really go wrong.

If anyone needs a reader copy, a guy at the flea market has a small stack of those for a dollar a piece. I've even got a spare copy myself.
I would be interested in one. (Dammit)

I will get ahold of you when I get back from Abilene. Also, is that Rai #2 still at Apple? May have to send some money your way.

Chiclo

Post by Chiclo »

ThrillKillWill wrote:
Chiclo wrote:

I would be interested in one. (Dammit)

I will get ahold of you when I get back from Abilene. Also, is that Rai #2 still at Apple? May have to send some money your way.
Probably, I'll look for it next time.

I haven't looked to see what he's got in Rai since I finished off my run (thanks slym).

slym2none

Post by slym2none »

Chiclo wrote:

Grab them all! Consider it rescue... and I'm being super-cereal!

-slym
Some people spend their whole lives believing in fairy tales, usually because they don't want to give up the fabulous prizes.

Chiclo

Post by Chiclo »

Think I'm headed there Saturday.

Hope they're still there, I haven't been in over a month. But they weren't going anywhere fast...

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

leonmallett wrote:
Cyberstrike wrote:

Makes you think that a publisher need to try to gather these books/stories back together to re-publish in a more accessible manner.
Jim Starlin was able to get SLG to reprint Metamorphsis Odyssey,
The Price, and Dreadstar #1-12 in 4 B&W trades.
The quailty of the SLG trades sucks (basically they look like they were ran off a copy machine especialy the two books that reprint Dreadstar #1-12)

Dymanic Forces did publish 2 trades (and one 1 hardcover) of Dreadstar #1-12 in full color. Starlin said somewhere that he was going to try to re-color The Metamorphsis Odyssey and The Price but he said
due to fact that they were painted it was going to be a while (if he ever gets around to it).

Chiclo

Post by Chiclo »

Sojourn Collected Edition Update:

Now I've seen everything. A flea market having a going out of business sale. There <strike>are</strike> were two flea markets in town, and these comics were at the sad one. There used to be more to it, but the last year or so, they sectioned off the snack bar and the half of it past the snack bar and it was pretty much three booths - one that was all records, one that was all carpet and one that had various stuff, including those stacks of CrossGens. I get there today and there's a sign saying "Going out of business, everything must go, make an offer". So, I'm thinking jackpot. Nope. The dude with the comics was gone, as was his stuff.

So, I went to the other fleamarket to see if Beefcake knows if the guy that had those comics has a booth at the other flea market or not. Beefcake runs the MTG and video game booth and sometimes deals in comics (I've bought him out at least once). Beefcake's day job is a short order cook at Hooters. Sure enough, the dollar rack of comics is back and sure enough there's a jillion CrossGens in there. I was looking through and one of the guys that works/hangs out there asked if I was looking for anything special. I said Sojourn the Collected Edition by CrossGen. He is not a comic guy, so he asks the comic guy and the comic guy asks if that was a Gen 13 crossover. So I pulled out a copy of Meridian, pointed to the logo and said "Published by CrossGen". So, comic guy (whose name I learned shortly thereafter was Gill) says they've got some boxes of CrossGens and that I could go through them. They had two stacks as tall as I was of boxes filled with CrossGen comics. We managed to dig up two Sojourn the Collected Editions and they looked up the prices in the buyers guide. Except they weren't in the buyers guide. So they sold them both to me for a buck a piece. They had a few random other comics, but it was almost all CrossGens.

Funny thing, though - there was a stack of comics sitting on a table. Turns out that was the exact spot that the roof leaked during the last rain storm. Gill was hearbroken. It was random 90s stuff, but he really wanted to hold on to a copy of... wait for it... Thunderstrike 1. I told him I had a spare and next time I came out there I'd bring it with me. He asked what I wanted for it, and I shook my head and said "another comic". A copy of Ultraverse Origins 1 was also in the stack that was ruined. Beefcake thought it was kind of funny because he told Gill to take the comics home with him last week.

My knowledge of CrossGen is extremely weak, but they seriously had boxes on top of boxes on top of boxes of them. Lots of Scion, Negation, Crux. I snagged his e-mail, booda@arn.net in case anyone wanted to send him wants lists.

Elveen

Post by Elveen »

thanks for the effort to get the Sojourn the Collected Edition. I have not been to a "flea market" in some time.

BTW, is a flea market the same as a swap meet? Some times things like that are also called the "auction". Are these all the same?

slym2none

Post by slym2none »

My best description of a flea market is this: think of a bunch of people having yard/garage sales all at once, right next to each other.

Now I know this isn't perfect, as some larger FM's are well organised, but it gives a general pictire.

-slym

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

My definition is a bit different:

People selling junk next to people selling junk.

There is a flea market and then there is the county dump.

I especially stay away from buying comics from flea markets. These folks will stay out in all kinds of weather trying to sell their 'rare comics' so this makes them just one step closer to the elements in my book and when and if I have bought anything from a flea market/swap meet the book smelled like dirt. (shrug)