Ultraverse sublists

Comic universes no longer active, Bravura, Continuity, CrossGen, Future, Malibu, Ultraverse... and others that are 'no longer with us' today (or only recently brought back).

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Knightt
Master of the Dead Universes

Post by Knightt »

depluto wrote:In fact I do have some uncut sheets and a few T-shirts.

:hm:
Same here on uncut sheets. I think I have one each of the last two card sets, got them in a large 'lot'. I remember seeing a 1st series Ultraverse cards uncut sheet that was signed and numbered but have NO clue as to whom it came from ! Ultraverse ? Advance Comcs ? Dynamic Forces ? I dunno. I remember not being able to get unique Ultraverse 'stuff' during the 'hay day' but now it seems to be coming out of the woodwork.

I can say this with a fair amount of certainty but in an email corespondance with Tom Mason about Malibu/Ultraveres... he told me that the last two days after Marvel bought Malibu, all employees were encouraged to take whatever they wanted, hologram covers, Ultra 5000s, cards, posters that some employees took a few things here and there and what was left over was LITERALLY set on fire and they had this huge bonfire. So, ANY print runs that we think that we know or even books that were numbered for special projects, etc are most probably lower than we think. Tom was saying that hologram books were thrown in the fire, signed posters, U5000 books, stationary, whatever was not thrown in the trunks of cars or in boxes was torched. And he said that the bonfire was HUGE. I can only imagine how 'rare' gold hologram books are in actual remaining numbers, plus all the cool stuff we have found. There were some prototype items that escaped the blaze and a few of us have been very lucky to find them. But there should still be more out there hiding. A good example was about a month ago I went up to Tucson, AZ with tarheelmarine and I found a 'Ultra-Premiere 5000 silver foil' book priced at $4.00, I picked it up real quick like. Not that I needed it but the only other copy that I have ever seen was my own sitting in my box but it was 'marred' with Jim Lee's signature.

Bottom line, the Ultraverse commons are VERY common (with the exclusion of variant covers - and I will add some insider info on that in a minute), final issues may be 'rarer' but the 'chase books' are more rare than the known 'print run' due to the bonfire. So, U5000 books... well, the ACTUAL numbers are well below 5,000 copies, to include silver and gold hologram cover books.

Now onto variant covers... I asked what was the method for figuring out which books were made into variant covers and I was told, 'absolutely no rhyme or reason'. 'We made variant covers just to throw some excitement into the mix. What we DIDN'T realize was that nobody noticed or cared while Ultraverse was in print. In fact, I have never seen any interest until 'three of you guys' (I am guessing me, Brother J and depluto) started asking questions, buying my extra 'stuff' and bringing 'new finds' to light on your message boards. So our stuff is pretty rare in numbers. A good thing is that these low numbers often do not reflect in the selling price of any of the books. so it took 10 years for people to seek them out and feel the thrill of the hunt.

The variant covers initially started in 'full force' with the Malibu books and that can be seen in 'The Protectors'. All direct editions had a super cool looking cover while the newsstand editions had a sub par cover and of course DE books had an image where the barcode should have been while newsstand editions just had the bar code, if I remember correctly there was a difference in the internal paper used as well.

What I have been hunting for here lately is newsstand editions of quite a few Image books. I had always thought that Image was Direct Edition, period. That was until I uncovered Newsstand Editions of Cyberforce, WildCATs, Bloodshot and I think a couple issues of Pitt (I don't know about Youngblood because I wouldnt use those books as *SQUEE*-paper should hard times ever get here.

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]
Valiant fan since: Yes
Favorite character: Yes
Favorite title: Yes
Favorite writer: Yes

Post by depluto »

Draco wrote:
depluto wrote:In fact I do have some uncut sheets and a few T-shirts.

:hm:
Whatcha got good sir, i might have uncovered a few tasty bits.

:thumb:
I'm still in the process of figuring that out ... my collection is stashed across three different parts of my house, including the attic. I've been going through it for a couple of weeks now just to figure out what is where.

:lol:

But if you got good stuff to trade, we will have to arrange a swap.

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]

Post by depluto »

Helluva interesting post, Knightt ... and it was amazing that even when nosam was putting all that stuff on ebay the prices never went crazy. He was a great guy to deal with, really nice about throwing a couple of extra things in the deal for a few extra bucks.

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

depluto wrote:Helluva interesting post, Knightt ... and it was amazing that even when nosam was putting all that stuff on ebay the prices never went crazy. He was a great guy to deal with, really nice about throwing a couple of extra things in the deal for a few extra bucks.
Yeah, I think he always stashed something in there as an extra for doing business with him and for me at least, they were always things that I either needed or had never seen before !! I think between the three of us, nosam is totally exhausted of anything Malibu/Ultraverse !!!! :lol: (and if not, I want to know how much he wants for it.... hahaha)

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

:twisted:

I just got a new one in the mail today.

Exiles 1 Silver Hologram, autographed. The CoA is from Catalyst Productions and it is listed as #23 of 50.

Draco
Well I think I talked enough poop...
Valiant fan since: preordered vh1 from start
Favorite character: X-O from vh1
Favorite title: X-O vh1
Favorite writer: Good question?
Favorite artist: ooooh another good question

Post by Draco »

Chiclo wrote::twisted:

Exiles 1 Silver Hologram, autographed. The CoA is from Catalyst Productions and it is listed as #23 of 50.
Pretty cool.

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]

Post by depluto »

Chiclo wrote::twisted:

Nice!

robb77
nice one
nice one

Post by robb77 »

sweet :thumb:

Chiclo

Post by Chiclo »

Did a little searching on the bay and turned up a few more.

Prototype 1 from Catalyst Productions. I sure as hell am not going to pay $10+ shipped for it but here it is. Looks like it's of 2000.

http://cgi.ebay.com/PROTOTYPE-1-SIGNED- ... m1888a5ca6

I *think* this one might be the same thing.

http://cgi.ebay.com/SPECIAL-EDITION-AUT ... 53df652599

I dropped a few questions to several sellers listing signed Malibus.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... TQ:US:1123

This guy already got back to me. He is a comic shop and got the autograph at a con in 1994 and made his own CoA, so that probably is not something we'd want in the list. He's got an auction of just an autographed Strangers 1 holo too.

Chiclo

Post by Chiclo »

I ran across someone mildly interesting in my flurry of questions to eBay sellers about signed Ultraverse books and their CoAs.

This is the auction I sent the seller an e-mail about:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0431743140

He has a few signed Ultraverses that I saw for auction.
harryk wrote: Hi, yes it does come with a COA, not numbered as I had it done through my company Universal Heros many years ago a trade show when Malibu was there .
Harry

- harryk

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

Chiclo wrote:He is a comic shop and got the autograph at a con in 1994 and made his own CoA, so that probably is not something we'd want in the list.
I agree... I would like to stick with Company, in-house products and as a nice side collectible the Dynamic Forces stuff (optional).

Chiclo

Post by Chiclo »

Knightt wrote:
Chiclo wrote:He is a comic shop and got the autograph at a con in 1994 and made his own CoA, so that probably is not something we'd want in the list.
I agree... I would like to stick with Company, in-house products and as a nice side collectible the Dynamic Forces stuff (optional).
Yeah, this guy turned out to be a dead end anyway. :oops:

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]

Post by depluto »

Good work Chiclo ... added.

I agree with Knightt that these shouldn't be on the main list but I can keep this sidebar list going.

Draco

Post by Draco »

Any more movement on this guys?

BruceReville
Why don't we just call ourselves C-Men and be done with it
Why don't we just call ourselves C-Men and be done with it

Post by BruceReville »

As per another thread - How about the CD-Romix versions of Hardcase 1 - Prime 1 - & Freex 1?

Draco

Post by Draco »

BruceReville wrote:As per another thread - How about the CD-Romix versions of Hardcase 1 - Prime 1 - & Freex 1?
They can probably be added to the master list seeing as there are action figures on there.

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]

Post by depluto »

Bump ... added a couple of things to the first post.

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]
Re: Ultraverse sublists

Post by depluto »

Bump!

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]

Post by depluto »

:bump:

omega_override
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: 2014
Re:

Post by omega_override »

Knightt wrote:I can say this with a fair amount of certainty but in an email corespondance with Tom Mason about Malibu/Ultraveres... he told me that the last two days after Marvel bought Malibu, all employees were encouraged to take whatever they wanted, hologram covers, Ultra 5000s, cards, posters that some employees took a few things here and there and what was left over was LITERALLY set on fire and they had this huge bonfire. So, ANY print runs that we think that we know or even books that were numbered for special projects, etc are most probably lower than we think. Tom was saying that hologram books were thrown in the fire, signed posters, U5000 books, stationary, whatever was not thrown in the trunks of cars or in boxes was torched. And he said that the bonfire was HUGE.
That seems like a real unnecessary waste considering that Marvel had a mail order catalog time and could have re-sold all of those at a premium facepalm

It's almost like they enjoy throwing money away

leonmallett
My mind is sharp. Like a sharp thing.
My mind is sharp. Like a sharp thing.
Valiant fan since: 2006
Favorite character: Shadowman (Hall version)
Favorite title: Shadowman (under Hall)
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry
Location: hunting down paulsmith56 somewhere in the balti belt...
Re: Re:

Post by leonmallett »

omega_override wrote:
Knightt wrote:I can say this with a fair amount of certainty but in an email corespondance with Tom Mason about Malibu/Ultraveres... he told me that the last two days after Marvel bought Malibu, all employees were encouraged to take whatever they wanted, hologram covers, Ultra 5000s, cards, posters that some employees took a few things here and there and what was left over was LITERALLY set on fire and they had this huge bonfire. So, ANY print runs that we think that we know or even books that were numbered for special projects, etc are most probably lower than we think. Tom was saying that hologram books were thrown in the fire, signed posters, U5000 books, stationary, whatever was not thrown in the trunks of cars or in boxes was torched. And he said that the bonfire was HUGE.
That seems like a real unnecessary waste considering that Marvel had a mail order catalog time and could have re-sold all of those at a premium facepalm

It's almost like they enjoy throwing money away
It was a different time, and one in which Marvel went to the brink of oblivion in 1996. That was the climate in which stupid decisions were made it would seem.
VEI - I look forward to you one day publishing MORE than 9-10 books per month

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]

Post by depluto »

depluto wrote:Aw hell, I am getting so close to finishing this line ... going through all my books and will post a need list in a couple of days. I think it's less than 10 books. Many props to Knightt for keeping the main list updated, I lost a bunch of my crap in a system crash and he bailed me out.

But I'm trying to put together some sidebar lists. Here are all the polybagged issues I know of (these usually have a different price, too):

Polybags
Firearm: 1
Freex: 1
Hardcase: 2, 4
Mantra v1: 1, 2
Prime v1: 2, 4
Solitaire: 1
Solution: 1
Strangers: 2, 4
Ultraforce v1: 1

I also want to make a list of all the DF signed issues. Here is what I have (or others here have found), so help me with any you have seen that are not on this list and I will update:

Dynamic Forces
Firearm: 1 (2000)
Godwheel 0 (250)
Nightman (7500)
Rune: 1 (10000)
Rune 1 Giant Size (250)
Solitaire: 1 (7500), 1 and Hearts (50), Collection 1-5 (75)

And these are the signed comics with Malibu certs that I have (or gathered from others). Please let me know of others:

Malibu (all are 2000)
All New Exiles: Infinity, 1
Lord Pumpkin: 0
Prime: Infinity, 1
Rune: 1
Rune vs. Venom: 1
Siren: 1
Ultraforce: 1

Mantra Ultra Archive: 1 (500)
Prime Printer's Proof: 1

MORE SIGNED CRAP

Beckett
Hardcase 1 (5000)
Prime 1 (6000)
Strangers 1 (5000)

Catalyst
Exiles 1 (2000)
Freex 1 (2000)
Hardcase 1 (2000)
Mantra 1 (????)
Prototype 1 (2000)
Strangers 1 (2000)
Sludge 1 (????)
Exiles 1 silver hologram (50)

Limited Treasured Editions
Mantra 1 (500)

Presentime
Firearm 1 (500)

Atomic Comics
Freex 3 (500)
Prime 2 (500)

The Score Board
Break-Thru 1 (2500)
:bump:

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]

Post by depluto »

Got all nine that I know of.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]

Post by depluto »

And the backs. the Lord Pumpkin one is a little different; the rest are numbered to 2,000 each.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tony_H
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: Divinity
Favorite title: Dr. Mirage
Favorite writer: Van Meter
Favorite artist: Braithwaite & Baron

Post by Tony_H »

Congratulations and thanks for sharing the lists and pics, Depluto. Just last weekend, I graphed out some of the UV books & sets I need to look for at the Brooklyn comic warehouse this spring.