What DUs are you collecting ?

Comic universes no longer active, Bravura, Continuity, CrossGen, Future, Malibu, Ultraverse... and others that are 'no longer with us' today (or only recently brought back).

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

sanman
I can feel the custom bug

Post by sanman »

With Mike Grell appearing at New Orleans Wizard Con my interest in First comics has been rekindled.

I've been working on Nexus off and on, but I've learned my LCS has solid runs of Grim Jack, Sable, Badger, and others--all in VF condition or better and recently bagged.

Not sure if this was a great price but I picked up Grimjack #1-17 and Starslayer #7-19 all for about $16. With my discount thats about 50 cents an issue. I'm thinking a paid a fair price.

Draco
Well I think I talked enough poop...
Valiant fan since: preordered vh1 from start
Favorite character: X-O from vh1
Favorite title: X-O vh1
Favorite writer: Good question?
Favorite artist: ooooh another good question

Post by Draco »

sanman wrote:With Mike Grell appearing at New Orleans Wizard Con my interest in First comics has been rekindled.

I've been working on Nexus off and on, but I've learned my LCS has solid runs of Grim Jack, Sable, Badger, and others--all in VF condition or better and recently bagged.

Not sure if this was a great price but I picked up Grimjack #1-17 and Starslayer #7-19 all for about $16. With my discount thats about 50 cents an issue. I'm thinking a paid a fair price.
ABsolutely dude.
The DU rule is that those books must be 50c or less in bulk buys.
These books will always be 99c or more on ebay as indibiduals etc, but there are plenty of them and high grade too.
Even in the UK i managed to pick up almost an entire run of first comics in high grade from cheap bins.

Im not sure how my checklist is coming on, but it's pretty impressive.

The Grell books are among some of my all time favourites due to the time they came out and my discovery of indy books at the time.

I finally finished my Sable run last year and need one Badger and two Nexus for the lot.

:thumb:

sanman

Post by sanman »

Nice :thumb:

Same here. First was fairly popular when I first started collecting and I thought Nexus and Badger were awesome--still do.

I'm not sure how far I'll go into collecting the whole universe, but I will have complete runs of Nexus, Grimjack, and Badger.

Maybe Sable, but I'm undecided--meeting Grell could influence the decision either way. I'm bringing #1 and #21 to get signed.#21 has a great cover with a lot of white space and will look great:

Knightt
Master of the Dead Universes

Post by Knightt »

From what I have read of Jon Sable so far, I like it. Of course, you REALLY have to get into a 70's mindset upon setting foot into Sable's universe. There is also a certain air of suspending belief as he does some fantastic stuff but in reading comic books, one should be used to that. The art for it's time and even now is VERY nice.

I hope that you post a pic of your signed books, I would bring a book for him to sign as well. I mean, out of RESPECT for what he has done over the years. Those should be a couple of very prized possessions for you, man !!

sanman

Post by sanman »

Knightt wrote:From what I have read of Jon Sable so far, I like it. Of course, you REALLY have to get into a 70's mindset upon setting foot into Sable's universe. There is also a certain air of suspending belief as he does some fantastic stuff but in reading comic books, one should be used to that. The art for it's time and even now is VERY nice.

I hope that you post a pic of your signed books, I would bring a book for him to sign as well. I mean, out of RESPECT for what he has done over the years. Those should be a couple of very prized possessions for you, man !!

I'll take good pictures of everything. :thumb:

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

Knightt wrote:From what I have read of Jon Sable so far, I like it. Of course, you REALLY have to get into a 70's mindset upon setting foot into Sable's universe. There is also a certain air of suspending belief as he does some fantastic stuff but in reading comic books, one should be used to that. The art for it's time and even now is VERY nice.

I have a bound volume of Nexus signed by both Baron and Rude (Baron in 2009 and Rude in 2010). I have the greatest personal connection to it among the rest of my collection.

BruceReville
Why don't we just call ourselves C-Men and be done with it
Why don't we just call ourselves C-Men and be done with it

Post by BruceReville »

Working on Triumphant - CGW - Malibu Genesis - Liar & Immortelle (Which I Have Completed)

newt138
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill
Re: What DUs are you collecting ?

Post by newt138 »

Defiant
Broadway
New Universe
Harvey
Triumphant
Dagger
Star comics
First
NOW

Draco

Post by Draco »

newt138 wrote:Defiant
Broadway
New Universe
Harvey
Triumphant
Dagger
Star comics
First
NOW

I never added Harvey a that is one dangerous addition, a bit like Charlton and maybe a decade or so too old for my tastes. Also over here in the UK you dont see many back issues cheap enough, well more Charlton than Harvey.
I do collect Charlton heroes, but do not have a checklist as such.
What Harvey books are you getting?

I trade as Dead Universe Comics in the UK, which is no surprise to those who know of my legendary Dead Universe habit.
140 boxes and counting !!!

Follow us on facebook :)
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dead-Uni ... 1695270458" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

newt138

Post by newt138 »

Draco wrote:
Broadway
New Universe
Harvey
Triumphant
Dagger
Star comics
First
NOW

I never added Harvey a that is one dangerous addition, a bit like Charlton and maybe a decade or so too old for my tastes. Also over here in the UK you dont see many back issues cheap enough, well more Charlton than Harvey.

Right now I am focusing on the various Hot Stuff the lil Devil comics. But any Harvey comic I find for cheap I pick up.

Draco

Post by Draco »

newt138 wrote:
Draco wrote:
Broadway
New Universe
Harvey
Triumphant
Dagger
Star comics
First
NOW

Right now I am focusing on the various Hot Stuff the lil Devil comics. But any Harvey comic I find for cheap I pick up.

Awesome, i think Harvey like quite a few old Defunct publishers did blocks of titles that fit together and in themselves are a nice little DU.

If you ever come across a checklist for that lot pass it on please good sir.

I trade as Dead Universe Comics in the UK, which is no surprise to those who know of my legendary Dead Universe habit.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dead-Uni ... 1695270458" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

newt138

Post by newt138 »

Draco wrote:
newt138 wrote:
Draco wrote:
Broadway
New Universe
Harvey
Triumphant
Dagger
Star comics
First
NOW

Awesome, i think Harvey like quite a few old Defunct publishers did blocks of titles that fit together and in themselves are a nice little DU.

If you ever come across a checklist for that lot pass it on please good sir.

I have been focusing on the Richie Rich stuff and Hot Stuff books. Have never seen a checklist. But so far I have about 80 various comics. I got 30 issues from the late 80's early 90's Harvey relaunch this year. My younger cousin had found a old box of comics. And let me have them. It was mostly Richie Rich,Hot Stuff and various Hanna Barbara comics. Plus there was 4 of the Harvey Digests in there.

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

Not sure if it is a DU, but I'm almost complete on my Lone Wolf and Cub run. I've been working on it for a few years now. I just picked up like 8 more books. Only a few left.

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

Jay Tomio wrote:Is Continuity like a sweet read?
No. It is the closest thing I have ever seen/read that is a visual representation of what it must look like in an insane person's mind.

I sincerely like Neal Adams's work from back then but for a comic named "Continuity" it is severely lacking the same and well... I wouldn't mind trying whatever psychedelic drug Neal was on when putting this universe together.

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

The Spawn art was created but never usedaaa intended, the reworked art sans Spawn was released in Valeria She-Bat #5, Nov of 1993.

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

The early stuff had a certain charm. I particularly enjoyed Armor.

The longer Continuity ran, the more I agree with Knightt's statement. I don't think I could ever in a hundred years sum it up so accurately or concisely as he just did.

newt138

Post by newt138 »

Besides Crazyman,the rest of the Continuity stuff I have read made no sense at all. But they all have pretty good artwork.

Drift
...and I am a Valiantoholic.
...and I am a Valiantoholic.

Post by Drift »

Elveen wrote:Not sure if it is a DU, but I'm almost complete on my Lone Wolf and Cub run. I've been working on it for a few years now. I just picked up like 8 more books. Only a few left.
Just the trades or are you doing the First issues as well?

dbngaa
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by dbngaa »

Drift wrote:
Elveen wrote:Not sure if it is a DU, but I'm almost complete on my Lone Wolf and Cub run. I've been working on it for a few years now. I just picked up like 8 more books. Only a few left.
Just the trades or are you doing the First issues as well?
Mostly off-topic, but this reminded me: I sold my complete set of the First Lone Wolf & Cub issues in 1997 to David Mandel, who was a producer on Seinfeld at the time. He sent me a personal check with a letter on Seinfeld letterhead. I sold the lot via eBay and came home a few days later to find an envelope with the Seinfeld logo on it. Couldn't imagine what it was and always thought it was cool. Still got it somewhere...

Anyway, back to the regularly scheduled posts.
This post has been carefully constructed so as to add absolutely nothing to any discussion or topic.

Knightt
Re:

Post by Knightt »

sanman wrote:

I'll take good pictures of everything. :thumb:
Did you get the #1 and #21 signed, Sanman ?

Pics ?

:hope:

QUARTZ
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons

Post by QUARTZ »

I'm looking for any MR. HERO or TEKNOPHAGE comics anyone might have from Tekno Comics. I love the crap out of those, my favorite comic that ended.

SwiftMann
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: Solar
Favorite title: 90s Shadowman

Post by SwiftMann »

My dead universe collections:

Valiant (see sig for 4 missing issues)
Acclaim (missing a small handful)

ABC
Black Bull (although looking to dump Just a Pilgrim and Shadow Reavers)
Capital (will decide if I want to chase the rest of first after I read Whisper [LOVED Badger & Nexus])
C.A.T.S. Studios imprint of Entity (Aster, Harriers, Shaiana)
CGW/Dark Horse Heroes
CrossGen (just a couple missing)
Darkchylde
Event
Hyperwerks (Deity, Saint Angel, Weasel Guy)
Impact (in process)
Tick (missing just a couple issues and original collections of the 100+ out there, but missing plenty of printings of the original series)
"If you think any of these [older comics/shows/movies] do not carry a political content and is not using the medium of science fiction to explore real-world ideas, than you have not been paying attention." - Dan Abnett, VCR #246

Draco

Post by Draco »

SwiftMann wrote:My dead universe collections:

ABC
Capital (will decide if I want to chase the rest of first after I read Whisper [LOVED Badger & Nexus])
CGW/Dark Horse Heroes
Darkchylde
Event
Impact (in process)
Tick (missing just a couple issues and original collections of the 100+ out there, but missing plenty of printings of the original series)
Cool, well that answers my question on the DHCGW thread :)

SwiftMann
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: Solar
Favorite title: 90s Shadowman

Post by SwiftMann »

Draco wrote:
SwiftMann wrote:My dead universe collections:

ABC
CGW/Dark Horse Heroes
Darkchylde
Event
Impact (in process)
Cool, well that answers my question on the DHCGW thread :)
So whats your overall likes for Dead Universes?
Is it just Event that you noticed errors with or ar you making your way through any of the other checklists?
Yeah. I tend to go down the rabbit hole with dead universes. Some random connection to something else gets me to pick up one thing. Next thing I know I need the whole thing, but I generally do one at a time.
"If you think any of these [older comics/shows/movies] do not carry a political content and is not using the medium of science fiction to explore real-world ideas, than you have not been paying attention." - Dan Abnett, VCR #246

leonmallett
My mind is sharp. Like a sharp thing.
My mind is sharp. Like a sharp thing.
Valiant fan since: 2006
Favorite character: Shadowman (Hall version)
Favorite title: Shadowman (under Hall)
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry
Location: hunting down paulsmith56 somewhere in the balti belt...

Post by leonmallett »

QUARTZ wrote:I'm looking for any MR. HERO or TEKNOPHAGE comics anyone might have from Tekno Comics. I love the crap out of those, my favorite comic that ended.
Did you know they are getting collected editions?
VEI - I look forward to you one day publishing MORE than 9-10 books per month