ValiantFans.com Board - Since 2004

Message Board Top Level | Main Website | Price Guide | Book Release History | Newest Books |
It is currently Nov 19, 2018 9:43:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:55:43 am 
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:33:31 am
Posts: 1455
Location: Astral Plane
Valiant fan since: VH1 Unity #1
Favorite writer: Shooter/Dysart
Favorite artist: BWS
I believe this has been discussed before but who holds the rights to Defiant and Broadway characters. At one point, I thought I read they were tied to the VEI stuff, however, I think also read they weren't. Anyone know who has them?

_________________
Multum In Parvo


Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on Google+
Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:14:01 pm 
I could be talking poo-doo.
I could be talking poo-doo.
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:47:04 pm
Posts: 8967
Location: Central CT
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Ninjak
Favorite title: Imperium/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Clay Mann
Broadway Video (the parrent of Broadway Comics) was bought out by Golden Books, which was then purchased by Random House (publishing) and Classic Media (film and TV). Thats the same deal that included the Gold Key characters. Dreamworks now ownes Classic Media.

I think Shooter had posession of the Defiant rights and was going to make them part of Broadway, but that never happened before they went belly up. So best guess is Shooter owns the rights to Defiant still.

Someone here probably knows better than me, though.

_________________
Kurt Busiek wrote:
Bull$#!t

Image


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:55:23 pm 
loosely based on a true story
loosely based on a true story
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:49:05 pm
Posts: 16619
Classic Media owns the Defiant properties.


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:55:53 pm 
Still afraid of Gamma
Still afraid of Gamma

Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:07:33 am
Posts: 10
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: Quantum & Woody
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lante
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada
I hate to bump an old thread, but I want to clarify that the Defiant comic Wardancer is owned by Alan Weiss.


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:17:45 am 
loosely based on a true story
loosely based on a true story
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:49:05 pm
Posts: 16619
John Pannozzi wrote:
I hate to bump an old thread, but I want to clarify that the Defiant comic Wardancer is owned by Alan Weiss.


Good point. I'd read that before, but forgotten that he retained War Dancer.


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:22:25 am 
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 07, 2006 9:07:41 am
Posts: 5131
Location: Indianapolis, Indiana
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Don Perlin
StarBrand wrote:
John Pannozzi wrote:
I hate to bump an old thread, but I want to clarify that the Defiant comic Wardancer is owned by Alan Weiss.


Good point. I'd read that before, but forgotten that he retained War Dancer.


I thought he only owned part of it and has never been able to bring War Dancer back because no one wanted to deal with a potential legal mess.

_________________
Image
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:34:54 pm 
Personal shoe-shopper for Atom!
Personal shoe-shopper for Atom!
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:03:35 pm
Posts: 335
Location: Mobile, Alabama
Valiant fan since: 2014
BugsySig wrote:
Broadway Video (the parrent of Broadway Comics) was bought out by Golden Books, which was then purchased by Random House (publishing) and Classic Media (film and TV). Thats the same deal that included the Gold Key characters. Dreamworks now ownes Classic Media.

It would be interesting to see Dreamworks actually do something with the license, but I very much doubt that they will

_________________
Image


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:58:20 pm 
I had the 1,000,000th post on this board and all I got was this lousy custom ranking.
I had the 1,000,000th post on this board and all I got was this lousy custom ranking.
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:35:29 pm
Posts: 956
Location: Alabama
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
I may be in the minority here, but I actually liked Defiant more than Valiant. I think. As a kid I did, but haven't read those stories since they came out.


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:02:07 pm 
Personal shoe-shopper for Atom!
Personal shoe-shopper for Atom!
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:03:35 pm
Posts: 335
Location: Mobile, Alabama
Valiant fan since: 2014
possumgrease wrote:
I may be in the minority here, but I actually liked Defiant more than Valiant. I think. As a kid I did, but haven't read those stories since they came out.

I'd be nice if Shooter would give Dinesh and co the rights to the characters

_________________
Image


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:02:15 am 
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 07, 2006 9:07:41 am
Posts: 5131
Location: Indianapolis, Indiana
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Don Perlin
omega_override wrote:
BugsySig wrote:
Broadway Video (the parrent of Broadway Comics) was bought out by Golden Books, which was then purchased by Random House (publishing) and Classic Media (film and TV). Thats the same deal that included the Gold Key characters. Dreamworks now ownes Classic Media.

It would be interesting to see Dreamworks actually do something with the license, but I very much doubt that they will


Honestly I would be surprised if the head honchos of Dreamworks even knew they owned the rights to Defiant and Broadway characters and given that Hasbro actually briefly thought of buying them for about 100 million probably (which spare change in those kind of deals) says a lot of what corporate Hollywood thinks of Dreamworks' real value money wise. Supposedly Hasbro were talked out of and/or threatened by Disney who owns Marvel and Star Wars two of the biggest franchises on the freaking planet and Hasbro has the toy licenses to both of them, which Hasbro did a day or two after they announced they were considering buying them.


I do think that Splatterball as a "hard" PG-13 (ie like a lot of the recent DC animated films) CGI film might be cool though.

_________________
Image
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:13:17 pm 
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 2:09:24 pm
Posts: 2968
Location: Ack-Ack
I wonder if Lorne Michaels has any type of stake left in the Broadway characters.


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:26:06 pm 
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:33:31 am
Posts: 1455
Location: Astral Plane
Valiant fan since: VH1 Unity #1
Favorite writer: Shooter/Dysart
Favorite artist: BWS
possumgrease wrote:
I may be in the minority here, but I actually liked Defiant more than Valiant. I think. As a kid I did, but haven't read those stories since they came out.


I agree somewhat. At the time Defiant was coming out, I liked it better than Valiant but still not quite as much as I liked the Shooter days of Valiant. But the Defiant stuff was definitely better than the post-Shooter Valiant.

The Broadway stuff was surprisingly good as well or at least I thought so at the time I read it many years ago.

Shooter seemed to be so full of ideas and was a good storyteller. It surprised me that I really didn't care for his work on the Gold Key characters at Dark Horse.

I'd love to see the Defiant characters again in some format. Plasm just seemed like such an out there different idea at the time.

_________________
Multum In Parvo


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:30:45 am 
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 07, 2006 9:07:41 am
Posts: 5131
Location: Indianapolis, Indiana
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Don Perlin
Universal bought Dreamworks so chances are if these characters ever return to comics it might be under Dynamite (sucks!) since they seem to have to get Universal properties like Xena: Warrior Princess and Battlestar Galactica before they get bored with them after 6 months and reboot them and then run them into ground.

I could see a companies like IDW, Boom, and Titan reprinting the original series but they don't seem like their interested in publishing an entire line of superhero comics.

_________________
Image
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:17:54 pm 
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:33:31 am
Posts: 1455
Location: Astral Plane
Valiant fan since: VH1 Unity #1
Favorite writer: Shooter/Dysart
Favorite artist: BWS
I wonder what amount of money it would take just to pry away the Defiant and Broadway properties. They hold such a niche market that I can't see someone like Universal/DreamWorks or the like ever doing something with them. It's a really shame that they are tied in with the Gold Key characters.

_________________
Multum In Parvo


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:19:22 pm 
I could be talking poo-doo.
I could be talking poo-doo.
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:47:04 pm
Posts: 8967
Location: Central CT
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Ninjak
Favorite title: Imperium/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Clay Mann
The Dirt Gang wrote:
I wonder what amount of money it would take just to pry away the Defiant and Broadway properties. They hold such a niche market that I can't see someone like Universal/DreamWorks or the like ever doing something with them. It's a really shame that they are tied in with the Gold Key characters.


If someone cared to look into and Universal cared to sell it, one could conceivably unite Defiant, Broadway AND Gold Key properties...

_________________
Kurt Busiek wrote:
Bull$#!t

Image


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:50:28 pm 
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:33:31 am
Posts: 1455
Location: Astral Plane
Valiant fan since: VH1 Unity #1
Favorite writer: Shooter/Dysart
Favorite artist: BWS
BugsySig wrote:
The Dirt Gang wrote:
I wonder what amount of money it would take just to pry away the Defiant and Broadway properties. They hold such a niche market that I can't see someone like Universal/DreamWorks or the like ever doing something with them. It's a really shame that they are tied in with the Gold Key characters.


If someone cared to look into and Universal cared to sell it, one could conceivably unite Defiant, Broadway AND Gold Key properties...


I thought those 3 properties were already owned by the same group? It seems that different people keep using the Gold Key license, so there is interest there or they are using them to keep the copyright active.

Do I have that right? Isn't there some copyright law that essentially if you don't use it, you lose it? If so, I wonder how long it would be before they lost the rights to Defiant and Broadway? Or course, maybe I just made this up.

_________________
Multum In Parvo


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:15:13 pm 
I could be talking poo-doo.
I could be talking poo-doo.
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:47:04 pm
Posts: 8967
Location: Central CT
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Ninjak
Favorite title: Imperium/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Clay Mann
The Dirt Gang wrote:
BugsySig wrote:
The Dirt Gang wrote:
I wonder what amount of money it would take just to pry away the Defiant and Broadway properties. They hold such a niche market that I can't see someone like Universal/DreamWorks or the like ever doing something with them. It's a really shame that they are tied in with the Gold Key characters.


If someone cared to look into and Universal cared to sell it, one could conceivably unite Defiant, Broadway AND Gold Key properties...


I thought those 3 properties were already owned by the same group? It seems that different people keep using the Gold Key license, so there is interest there or they are using them to keep the copyright active.

Do I have that right? Isn't there some copyright law that essentially if you don't use it, you lose it? If so, I wonder how long it would be before they lost the rights to Defiant and Broadway? Or course, maybe I just made this up.


You are correct. I was referencing it more because it doesn't seem the owners of these properties even know they have them or care, but an industrious individual (Shooter? Dino? You?) could swoop in and purchase them in an attempt to start up a new shared universe.

I also believe there is still some debate over who owns what rights. There was at one point some confusion over publishing (Random House) vs. entertainment (Classic Media, now Dreamworks) rights for the GK characters. So I'm not certain everything is even all in one place.

And while you do have to renew copyrights for the purposes of using certain names for books, tv, movies, video games, etc, and renew TMs, I don't believe you need to renew IPs. For example, one guy owns the Atlas Comics Character IPs, but not the copyright to the name "Atlas Comics" (which is owned by Dynamite (sucks!)). However, they can't use those characters without licensing them (much to their chagrin, I'm sure). That is why Dino and co. were able to purchase the VALIANT IPs following Acclaim's bankruptcy.

In the past there were laws requiring renewal, which is what led to many Golden Age characters falling into the public domain.

_________________
Kurt Busiek wrote:
Bull$#!t

Image


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:17:28 pm 
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:33:31 am
Posts: 1455
Location: Astral Plane
Valiant fan since: VH1 Unity #1
Favorite writer: Shooter/Dysart
Favorite artist: BWS
BugsySig wrote:
The Dirt Gang wrote:
BugsySig wrote:
The Dirt Gang wrote:
I wonder what amount of money it would take just to pry away the Defiant and Broadway properties. They hold such a niche market that I can't see someone like Universal/DreamWorks or the like ever doing something with them. It's a really shame that they are tied in with the Gold Key characters.


If someone cared to look into and Universal cared to sell it, one could conceivably unite Defiant, Broadway AND Gold Key properties...


I thought those 3 properties were already owned by the same group? It seems that different people keep using the Gold Key license, so there is interest there or they are using them to keep the copyright active.

Do I have that right? Isn't there some copyright law that essentially if you don't use it, you lose it? If so, I wonder how long it would be before they lost the rights to Defiant and Broadway? Or course, maybe I just made this up.


You are correct. I was referencing it more because it doesn't seem the owners of these properties even know they have them or care, but an industrious individual (Shooter? Dino? You?) could swoop in and purchase them in an attempt to start up a new shared universe.

I also believe there is still some debate over who owns what rights. There was at one point some confusion over publishing (Random House) vs. entertainment (Classic Media, now Dreamworks) rights for the GK characters. So I'm not certain everything is even all in one place.

And while you do have to renew copyrights for the purposes of using certain names for books, tv, movies, video games, etc, and renew TMs, I don't believe you need to renew IPs. For example, one guy owns the Atlas Comics Character IPs, but not the copyright to the name "Atlas Comics" (which is owned by Dynamite (sucks!) (sucks!)). However, they can't use those characters without licensing them (much to their chagrin, I'm sure). That is why Dino and co. were able to purchase the VALIANT IPs following Acclaim's bankruptcy.

In the past there were laws requiring renewal, which is what led to many Golden Age characters falling into the public domain.


Thanks for dropping some knowledge on me. :thumb:

If I ever win the lotto :hope: , tracking down those IPs will be at the top of my list. For years, I've dreamt up scenarios where I could get ahold of the rights to all those properties :cloud9: and prior to Dino's involvement with Valiant, I used to do the same for those. I've got a mental list of who I'd try to get involved, now I just need to be as savvy as Dino and find a way to make it happen. :D

_________________
Multum In Parvo


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:28:21 pm 
I could be talking poo-doo.
I could be talking poo-doo.
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:47:04 pm
Posts: 8967
Location: Central CT
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Ninjak
Favorite title: Imperium/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Clay Mann
The Dirt Gang wrote:
BugsySig wrote:
The Dirt Gang wrote:
BugsySig wrote:
The Dirt Gang wrote:
I wonder what amount of money it would take just to pry away the Defiant and Broadway properties. They hold such a niche market that I can't see someone like Universal/DreamWorks or the like ever doing something with them. It's a really shame that they are tied in with the Gold Key characters.


If someone cared to look into and Universal cared to sell it, one could conceivably unite Defiant, Broadway AND Gold Key properties...


I thought those 3 properties were already owned by the same group? It seems that different people keep using the Gold Key license, so there is interest there or they are using them to keep the copyright active.

Do I have that right? Isn't there some copyright law that essentially if you don't use it, you lose it? If so, I wonder how long it would be before they lost the rights to Defiant and Broadway? Or course, maybe I just made this up.


You are correct. I was referencing it more because it doesn't seem the owners of these properties even know they have them or care, but an industrious individual (Shooter? Dino? You?) could swoop in and purchase them in an attempt to start up a new shared universe.

I also believe there is still some debate over who owns what rights. There was at one point some confusion over publishing (Random House) vs. entertainment (Classic Media, now Dreamworks) rights for the GK characters. So I'm not certain everything is even all in one place.

And while you do have to renew copyrights for the purposes of using certain names for books, tv, movies, video games, etc, and renew TMs, I don't believe you need to renew IPs. For example, one guy owns the Atlas Comics Character IPs, but not the copyright to the name "Atlas Comics" (which is owned by Dynamite (sucks!) (sucks!) (sucks!)). However, they can't use those characters without licensing them (much to their chagrin, I'm sure). That is why Dino and co. were able to purchase the VALIANT IPs following Acclaim's bankruptcy.

In the past there were laws requiring renewal, which is what led to many Golden Age characters falling into the public domain.


Thanks for dropping some knowledge on me. :thumb:

If I ever win the lotto :hope: , tracking down those IPs will be at the top of my list. For years, I've dreamt up scenarios where I could get ahold of the rights to all those properties :cloud9: and prior to Dino's involvement with Valiant, I used to do the same for those. I've got a mental list of who I'd try to get involved, now I just need to be as savvy as Dino and find a way to make it happen. :D


There’s just a ton of individually owned IPs out there too: The Spirit, Atlas Comics, Kirby-Verse (Silver Star, Captain Victory, etc.), Simon & Kirby heroes (Fighting American, etc.), Tower/Wally Wood (THUNDER Agents), Peter Cannon...Thunderbolt! (owned by the Morisi estate). These all see the light of day from time to time as people’s estates license them out, but I often think about what it would be like to gobble them all up and create a shared universe out of it all.

_________________
Kurt Busiek wrote:
Bull$#!t

Image


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:05:54 pm 
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:33:31 am
Posts: 1455
Location: Astral Plane
Valiant fan since: VH1 Unity #1
Favorite writer: Shooter/Dysart
Favorite artist: BWS
:thumb: I'd totally be down with that.

_________________
Multum In Parvo


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:43:04 am 
Harbinger rank: Shinia
Harbinger rank: Shinia
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:50:49 am
Posts: 113
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite artist: Bart Sears
It looks like NBC Universal now owns Broadway and the Gold Key characters. Wouldn't it be great to see such an entertainment powerhouse do something with Magnus and Solar?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DreamWork ... %80%932012)


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:48:11 am 
Harbinger rank: Aonisaibushi
Harbinger rank: Aonisaibushi
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:45:09 pm
Posts: 207
Location: Eastern PA
Valiant fan since: Harbinger #1
Favorite character: Magnus
Favorite title: Warriors of Plasm
Would be cool to see someone offer to resurrect them (not necessarily buy, but license). Those properties aren't worth anything right now, but if someone got them back into the limelight, or at least active again, they might have some value.

I loved plasm so much as a kid. I think the introspective elements of it (not to say the politics) could be very interesting, but visually, that would be one trippy movie. Tim Burton anyone!!!!???


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:25:40 am 
Personal shoe-shopper for Atom!
Personal shoe-shopper for Atom!

Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:45:34 am
Posts: 338
BugsySig wrote:

There’s just a ton of individually owned IPs out there too: The Spirit, Atlas Comics, Kirby-Verse (Silver Star, Captain Victory, etc.), Simon & Kirby heroes (Fighting American, etc.), Tower/Wally Wood (THUNDER Agents), Peter Cannon...Thunderbolt! (owned by the Morisi estate). These all see the light of day from time to time as people’s estates license them out, but I often think about what it would be like to gobble them all up and create a shared universe out of it all.


I thought DC bought all of the Charlton characters (including Peter Cannon). Interesting that he's individually owned.

Also, as a head's up regarding Defiant -- I noticed that someone is selling a couple of pages of original art from Warriors of Plasm on eBay if anyone is interested.


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:11:46 am 
I could be talking poo-doo.
I could be talking poo-doo.
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:47:04 pm
Posts: 8967
Location: Central CT
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Ninjak
Favorite title: Imperium/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Clay Mann
Zhuge1 wrote:
BugsySig wrote:

There’s just a ton of individually owned IPs out there too: The Spirit, Atlas Comics, Kirby-Verse (Silver Star, Captain Victory, etc.), Simon & Kirby heroes (Fighting American, etc.), Tower/Wally Wood (THUNDER Agents), Peter Cannon...Thunderbolt! (owned by the Morisi estate). These all see the light of day from time to time as people’s estates license them out, but I often think about what it would be like to gobble them all up and create a shared universe out of it all.


I thought DC bought all of the Charlton characters (including Peter Cannon). Interesting that he's individually owned.

Also, as a head's up regarding Defiant -- I noticed that someone is selling a couple of pages of original art from Warriors of Plasm on eBay if anyone is interested.


Morisi had some reversion rights from Charelton, so after DC purchased it they used Cannon for a period of time then he got the rights back. Dynamite (sucks!) most recently had the license, publishing a miniseries and including the character in Masks 2. Not sure if they still hold it or not.

_________________
Kurt Busiek wrote:
Bull$#!t

Image


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group