Who holds the rights to Defiant and Broadway?

DEFIANT and Broadway Comics, created by Jim Shooter after VALIANT in the 1990s.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

The Dirt Gang
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Valiant fan since: VH1 Unity #1
Favorite writer: Shooter/Dysart
Favorite artist: BWS
Who holds the rights to Defiant and Broadway?

Post by The Dirt Gang »

I believe this has been discussed before but who holds the rights to Defiant and Broadway characters. At one point, I thought I read they were tied to the VEI stuff, however, I think also read they weren't. Anyone know who has them?
Multum In Parvo

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada
Re: Who holds the rights to Defiant and Broadway?

Post by BugsySig »

Broadway Video (the parrent of Broadway Comics) was bought out by Golden Books, which was then purchased by Random House (publishing) and Classic Media (film and TV). Thats the same deal that included the Gold Key characters. Dreamworks now ownes Classic Media.

I think Shooter had posession of the Defiant rights and was going to make them part of Broadway, but that never happened before they went belly up. So best guess is Shooter owns the rights to Defiant still.

Someone here probably knows better than me, though.
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

StarBrand
loosely based on a true story

Post by StarBrand »

Classic Media owns the Defiant properties.
Valiant is the son of the New Universe.

John Pannozzi
Working on the first full appearance of me
Working on the first full appearance of me
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: Quantum & Woody
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lante

Post by John Pannozzi »

I hate to bump an old thread, but I want to clarify that the Defiant comic Wardancer is owned by Alan Weiss.

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

John Pannozzi wrote:I hate to bump an old thread, but I want to clarify that the Defiant comic Wardancer is owned by Alan Weiss.
Good point. I'd read that before, but forgotten that he retained War Dancer.
Valiant is the son of the New Universe.

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

StarBrand wrote:
John Pannozzi wrote:I hate to bump an old thread, but I want to clarify that the Defiant comic Wardancer is owned by Alan Weiss.
Good point. I'd read that before, but forgotten that he retained War Dancer.
I thought he only owned part of it and has never been able to bring War Dancer back because no one wanted to deal with a potential legal mess.
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

omega_override
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: 2014

Post by omega_override »

BugsySig wrote:Broadway Video (the parrent of Broadway Comics) was bought out by Golden Books, which was then purchased by Random House (publishing) and Classic Media (film and TV). Thats the same deal that included the Gold Key characters. Dreamworks now ownes Classic Media.
It would be interesting to see Dreamworks actually do something with the license, but I very much doubt that they will

possumgrease
I had the 1,000,000th post on this board and all I got was this lousy custom ranking.
I had the 1,000,000th post on this board and all I got was this lousy custom ranking.
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by possumgrease »

I may be in the minority here, but I actually liked Defiant more than Valiant. I think. As a kid I did, but haven't read those stories since they came out.

omega_override
Valiant fan since: 2014

Post by omega_override »

possumgrease wrote:I may be in the minority here, but I actually liked Defiant more than Valiant. I think. As a kid I did, but haven't read those stories since they came out.
I'd be nice if Shooter would give Dinesh and co the rights to the characters

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!

Post by Cyberstrike »

omega_override wrote:
BugsySig wrote:Broadway Video (the parrent of Broadway Comics) was bought out by Golden Books, which was then purchased by Random House (publishing) and Classic Media (film and TV). Thats the same deal that included the Gold Key characters. Dreamworks now ownes Classic Media.
It would be interesting to see Dreamworks actually do something with the license, but I very much doubt that they will
Honestly I would be surprised if the head honchos of Dreamworks even knew they owned the rights to Defiant and Broadway characters and given that Hasbro actually briefly thought of buying them for about 100 million probably (which spare change in those kind of deals) says a lot of what corporate Hollywood thinks of Dreamworks' real value money wise. Supposedly Hasbro were talked out of and/or threatened by Disney who owns Marvel and Star Wars two of the biggest franchises on the freaking planet and Hasbro has the toy licenses to both of them, which Hasbro did a day or two after they announced they were considering buying them.

I do think that Splatterball as a "hard" PG-13 (ie like a lot of the recent DC animated films) CGI film might be cool though.
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

vikingspawn
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Clinkin' bottles with Aram

Post by vikingspawn »

I wonder if Lorne Michaels has any type of stake left in the Broadway characters.

The Dirt Gang

Post by The Dirt Gang »

possumgrease wrote:I may be in the minority here, but I actually liked Defiant more than Valiant. I think. As a kid I did, but haven't read those stories since they came out.
I agree somewhat. At the time Defiant was coming out, I liked it better than Valiant but still not quite as much as I liked the Shooter days of Valiant. But the Defiant stuff was definitely better than the post-Shooter Valiant.

The Broadway stuff was surprisingly good as well or at least I thought so at the time I read it many years ago.

Shooter seemed to be so full of ideas and was a good storyteller. It surprised me that I really didn't care for his work on the Gold Key characters at Dark Horse.

I'd love to see the Defiant characters again in some format. Plasm just seemed like such an out there different idea at the time.
Multum In Parvo

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!

Post by Cyberstrike »

Universal bought Dreamworks so chances are if these characters ever return to comics it might be under Dynamite since they seem to have to get Universal properties like Xena: Warrior Princess and Battlestar Galactica before they get bored with them after 6 months and reboot them and then run them into ground.

I could see a companies like IDW, Boom, and Titan reprinting the original series but they don't seem like their interested in publishing an entire line of superhero comics.

The Dirt Gang

Post by The Dirt Gang »

I wonder what amount of money it would take just to pry away the Defiant and Broadway properties. They hold such a niche market that I can't see someone like Universal/DreamWorks or the like ever doing something with them. It's a really shame that they are tied in with the Gold Key characters.
Multum In Parvo

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

The Dirt Gang wrote:I wonder what amount of money it would take just to pry away the Defiant and Broadway properties. They hold such a niche market that I can't see someone like Universal/DreamWorks or the like ever doing something with them. It's a really shame that they are tied in with the Gold Key characters.
If someone cared to look into and Universal cared to sell it, one could conceivably unite Defiant, Broadway AND Gold Key properties...

The Dirt Gang

Post by The Dirt Gang »

BugsySig wrote:
The Dirt Gang wrote:I wonder what amount of money it would take just to pry away the Defiant and Broadway properties. They hold such a niche market that I can't see someone like Universal/DreamWorks or the like ever doing something with them. It's a really shame that they are tied in with the Gold Key characters.
If someone cared to look into and Universal cared to sell it, one could conceivably unite Defiant, Broadway AND Gold Key properties...
I thought those 3 properties were already owned by the same group? It seems that different people keep using the Gold Key license, so there is interest there or they are using them to keep the copyright active.

Do I have that right? Isn't there some copyright law that essentially if you don't use it, you lose it? If so, I wonder how long it would be before they lost the rights to Defiant and Broadway? Or course, maybe I just made this up.
Multum In Parvo

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

The Dirt Gang wrote:
BugsySig wrote:
I thought those 3 properties were already owned by the same group? It seems that different people keep using the Gold Key license, so there is interest there or they are using them to keep the copyright active.

Do I have that right? Isn't there some copyright law that essentially if you don't use it, you lose it? If so, I wonder how long it would be before they lost the rights to Defiant and Broadway? Or course, maybe I just made this up.
You are correct. I was referencing it more because it doesn't seem the owners of these properties even know they have them or care, but an industrious individual (Shooter? Dino? You?) could swoop in and purchase them in an attempt to start up a new shared universe.

I also believe there is still some debate over who owns what rights. There was at one point some confusion over publishing (Random House) vs. entertainment (Classic Media, now Dreamworks) rights for the GK characters. So I'm not certain everything is even all in one place.

And while you do have to renew copyrights for the purposes of using certain names for books, tv, movies, video games, etc, and renew TMs, I don't believe you need to renew IPs. For example, one guy owns the Atlas Comics Character IPs, but not the copyright to the name "Atlas Comics" (which is owned by Dynamite). However, they can't use those characters without licensing them (much to their chagrin, I'm sure). That is why Dino and co. were able to purchase the VALIANT IPs following Acclaim's bankruptcy.

In the past there were laws requiring renewal, which is what led to many Golden Age characters falling into the public domain.

The Dirt Gang

Post by The Dirt Gang »

BugsySig wrote:
The Dirt Gang wrote:
BugsySig wrote:

You are correct. I was referencing it more because it doesn't seem the owners of these properties even know they have them or care, but an industrious individual (Shooter? Dino? You?) could swoop in and purchase them in an attempt to start up a new shared universe.

I also believe there is still some debate over who owns what rights. There was at one point some confusion over publishing (Random House) vs. entertainment (Classic Media, now Dreamworks) rights for the GK characters. So I'm not certain everything is even all in one place.

And while you do have to renew copyrights for the purposes of using certain names for books, tv, movies, video games, etc, and renew TMs, I don't believe you need to renew IPs. For example, one guy owns the Atlas Comics Character IPs, but not the copyright to the name "Atlas Comics" (which is owned by Dynamite (sucks!)). However, they can't use those characters without licensing them (much to their chagrin, I'm sure). That is why Dino and co. were able to purchase the VALIANT IPs following Acclaim's bankruptcy.

In the past there were laws requiring renewal, which is what led to many Golden Age characters falling into the public domain.
Thanks for dropping some knowledge on me. :thumb:

If I ever win the lotto :hope: , tracking down those IPs will be at the top of my list. For years, I've dreamt up scenarios where I could get ahold of the rights to all those properties :cloud9: and prior to Dino's involvement with Valiant, I used to do the same for those. I've got a mental list of who I'd try to get involved, now I just need to be as savvy as Dino and find a way to make it happen. :D
Multum In Parvo

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

The Dirt Gang wrote:
BugsySig wrote:
The Dirt Gang wrote:
BugsySig wrote:

And while you do have to renew copyrights for the purposes of using certain names for books, tv, movies, video games, etc, and renew TMs, I don't believe you need to renew IPs. For example, one guy owns the Atlas Comics Character IPs, but not the copyright to the name "Atlas Comics" (which is owned by Dynamite (sucks!) (sucks!)). However, they can't use those characters without licensing them (much to their chagrin, I'm sure). That is why Dino and co. were able to purchase the VALIANT IPs following Acclaim's bankruptcy.

Thanks for dropping some knowledge on me. :thumb:

If I ever win the lotto :hope: , tracking down those IPs will be at the top of my list. For years, I've dreamt up scenarios where I could get ahold of the rights to all those properties :cloud9: and prior to Dino's involvement with Valiant, I used to do the same for those. I've got a mental list of who I'd try to get involved, now I just need to be as savvy as Dino and find a way to make it happen. :D
There’s just a ton of individually owned IPs out there too: The Spirit, Atlas Comics, Kirby-Verse (Silver Star, Captain Victory, etc.), Simon & Kirby heroes (Fighting American, etc.), Tower/Wally Wood (THUNDER Agents), Peter Cannon...Thunderbolt! (owned by the Morisi estate). These all see the light of day from time to time as people’s estates license them out, but I often think about what it would be like to gobble them all up and create a shared universe out of it all.

The Dirt Gang

Post by The Dirt Gang »

:thumb: I'd totally be down with that.
Multum In Parvo

Serpentor
My posts can all fit in a short box
My posts can all fit in a short box
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite artist: Bart Sears

Post by Serpentor »

It looks like NBC Universal now owns Broadway and the Gold Key characters. Wouldn't it be great to see such an entertainment powerhouse do something with Magnus and Solar?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DreamWork ... ssic_Media_(2000%E2%80%932012" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

apacseller
Valiant fan since: Harbinger #1
Favorite character: Magnus
Favorite title: Warriors of Plasm

Post by apacseller »

Would be cool to see someone offer to resurrect them (not necessarily buy, but license). Those properties aren't worth anything right now, but if someone got them back into the limelight, or at least active again, they might have some value.

I loved plasm so much as a kid. I think the introspective elements of it (not to say the politics) could be very interesting, but visually, that would be one trippy movie. Tim Burton anyone!!!!???

Zhuge1

Post by Zhuge1 »

BugsySig wrote:
There’s just a ton of individually owned IPs out there too: The Spirit, Atlas Comics, Kirby-Verse (Silver Star, Captain Victory, etc.), Simon & Kirby heroes (Fighting American, etc.), Tower/Wally Wood (THUNDER Agents), Peter Cannon...Thunderbolt! (owned by the Morisi estate). These all see the light of day from time to time as people’s estates license them out, but I often think about what it would be like to gobble them all up and create a shared universe out of it all.
I thought DC bought all of the Charlton characters (including Peter Cannon). Interesting that he's individually owned.

Also, as a head's up regarding Defiant -- I noticed that someone is selling a couple of pages of original art from Warriors of Plasm on eBay if anyone is interested.

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

Zhuge1 wrote:
BugsySig wrote:
I thought DC bought all of the Charlton characters (including Peter Cannon). Interesting that he's individually owned.

Also, as a head's up regarding Defiant -- I noticed that someone is selling a couple of pages of original art from Warriors of Plasm on eBay if anyone is interested.
Morisi had some reversion rights from Charelton, so after DC purchased it they used Cannon for a period of time then he got the rights back. Dynamite most recently had the license, publishing a miniseries and including the character in Masks 2. Not sure if they still hold it or not.