Discuss Black And White 80s Comics And Publishers

Comic universes no longer active, Bravura, Continuity, CrossGen, Future, Malibu, Ultraverse... and others that are 'no longer with us' today (or only recently brought back).

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

StarBrand
loosely based on a true story
Re: Discuss Black And White 80s Comics And Publishers

Post by StarBrand »

Very interesting Info on Blackthorne. I didn't realize they were the 5th largest comic publisher at one point.
Also interesting you brought up Steve Schanes' eBay account. I've bought stuff from him in the past, and am currently watching an Enchanted Valley proof of his.
Valiant is the son of the New Universe.

Cully1286
Working on the first full appearance of me

Post by Cully1286 »

Great work here guys. I'll be using these lists for sure. What are some of the titles that flew under the radar but are really good? Not the more popular stuff like Nexus, Zot etc other but other stuff? I'm sure another thread could be started about this.

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

Cully1286 wrote:Great work here guys. I'll be using these lists for sure. What are some of the titles that flew under the radar but are really good? Not the more popular stuff like Nexus, Zot etc other but other stuff? I'm sure another thread could be started about this.
Good question. I'm hoping for some suggestions, as well.

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

Cully1286 wrote:Great work here guys. I'll be using these lists for sure. What are some of the titles that flew under the radar but are really good? Not the more popular stuff like Nexus, Zot etc other but other stuff? I'm sure another thread could be started about this.
Would Ex-Mutants or Fish Police count as having flown under the radar? Maybe Shuriken, too.

Grendel and Cerebus are pretty well known.

I have read several 80s b&w books but it barely scratches the surface, especially when we get away from these longer-lived and better-known characters. That which I have read almost universally reminds me why those characters and companies did not endure.

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

One of the best comic book stories I've ever read is Kafka, which is 80's black and white goodness.

http://www.mycomicshop.com/search?TID=320881" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I bought the first issue, loved it, then bought the Caliber trade.

http://www.mycomicshop.com/search?TID=19805233" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

Xeno-Men #1. Only one issue was published, by Blackthorne. Not positive this was published in black and white. Obscure, but Len Wein. Any comments?

Cully1286

Post by Cully1286 »

Chiclo wrote:
Would Ex-Mutants or Fish Police count as having flown under the radar? Maybe Shuriken, too.

I have read several 80s b&w books but it barely scratches the surface, especially when we get away from these longer-lived and better-known characters. That which I have read almost universally reminds me why those characters and companies did not endure.
I've never heard of Shuriken. Ex Mutants I have but I'm not familiar with it.

Chiclo

Post by Chiclo »

Cully1286 wrote:
Chiclo wrote:

I've never heard of Shuriken. Ex Mutants I have but I'm not familiar with it.
Ex-Mutants bounced around a few companies all owned by Scott Mitchell Rosenberg. I think it started with Eternity, moved to Pied Piper and Amazing before ending back up at Eternity. There were micro-series for a few of the characters and they were involved in the Shattered Earth crossover at Eternity. A few years later, Malibu revived the title in their Genesis line, this time printed in colour.

Shuriken was sort of amer-ime (I think I am using this term right here - American anime) published by Victory comics from a man named Reggie Byers. Eternity printed a second volume and special. Somehow, Shuriken was on the team of All New Exiles that Ultraverse relaunched after the Marvel buyout.

The Malibu/Eternity family put out a bunch of 80s superhero stuff. Some of it is quite readable. Some of it was obviously a cash grab.

newt138
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill
Re: Black And White 80s Publishers

Post by newt138 »

Paradigm38 wrote:Yeah, Caliber was very good, gave us The Crow originally, but I think the best thing they put out was Caliber Presents, great anthology with King Zombie, Crow, etc.. never were a ton on the shelves but great if you can find them.

Caliber also did Negative Burn. Which was a great b/w anthology title. Kind of a more indy version of Dark Horse Presents. Saw someone mentioned Cat and Mouse earlier in this thread. One of the creators,Mitch Byrd,lives in my hometown. Few years back on FCBD he was at the LCS. Went up and talked to him.Then got him to sign some issues of Cat and Mouse. He apologized for how bad the art was in them. I told him thought the art in them was good. It is a fairly fun series. Set in NOLA IIRC.

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

newt138 wrote:
Paradigm38 wrote:Yeah, Caliber was very good, gave us The Crow originally, but I think the best thing they put out was Caliber Presents, great anthology with King Zombie, Crow, etc.. never were a ton on the shelves but great if you can find them.

Caliber also did Negative Burn. Which was a great b/w anthology title. Kind of a more indy version of Dark Horse Presents. Saw someone mentioned Cat and Mouse earlier in this thread. One of the creators,Mitch Byrd,lives in my hometown. Few years back on FCBD he was at the LCS. Went up and talked to him.Then got him to sign some issues of Cat and Mouse. He apologized for how bad the art was in them. I told him thought the art in them was good. It is a fairly fun series. Set in NOLA IIRC.
I mentioned Cat and Mouse. Looks like an interesting series. :thumb:

rasputin9977
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)

Post by rasputin9977 »

Chiclo wrote:Shuriken was sort of amer-ime (I think I am using this term right here - American anime) published by Victory comics from a man named Reggie Byers. Eternity printed a second volume and special. Somehow, Shuriken was on the team of All New Exiles that Ultraverse relaunched after the Marvel buyout.
I've always wondered, did Marvel/Malibu officially announced that both Shurikens were the same character or is it just a fan rumor? I ask because the Malibu character was Japanese/Caucasian and the Ultraverse character was Chinese. They also had different names.

rasputin9977

Post by rasputin9977 »

StarBrand wrote:
newt138 wrote:

I mentioned Cat and Mouse. Looks like an interesting series. :thumb:
I read them all. Fun series, I would recommend it. Silverstorm and Demon's Tails were fun too.

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

There are 3 of these publishers I'd particularly like to finish my collections of. Renegade, Apple, and Blackthorne. After that I may hunt down others, if it works out.

Chiclo

Post by Chiclo »

StarBrand wrote:There are 3 of these publishers I'd particularly like to finish my collections of. Renegade, Apple, and Blackthorne. After that I may hunt down others, if it works out.
I am not especially familiar with the output of either Renegade or Apple but Blackthorne put out lots and lots of comics and a great deal of it would be better off pulped.

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

Chiclo wrote:
StarBrand wrote:There are 3 of these publishers I'd particularly like to finish my collections of. Renegade, Apple, and Blackthorne. After that I may hunt down others, if it works out.
I am not especially familiar with the output of either Renegade or Apple but Blackthorne put out lots and lots of comics and a great deal of it would be better off pulped.
I have some sort of strange condition wherein I seek to find something really good yet obscure amongst black and white comics. I've had it for years. It seems to be progressive, too. :|

Chiclo

Post by Chiclo »

StarBrand wrote:
Chiclo wrote:
I have some sort of strange condition wherein I seek to find something really good yet obscure amongst black and white comics. I've had it for years. It seems to be progressive, too. :|
A task I might call Herculean but not entirely futile.

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

Chiclo wrote:
StarBrand wrote:
Chiclo wrote:
A task I might call Herculean but not entirely futile.
:hm: :thumb:

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

In 1989 Apple published 3 issues of a title called Timejump War. They were written by Chuck Dixon. I'd like to check those out.

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

Just purchased Roachmill 1-6, which is the entire 6 issue run published by Blackthorne. Awaiting them in the mail!

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

I just read the 6 issues of Roachmill which were published by Blackthhorne. I greatly enjoyed them, and he may end up as one of my all-time favorite characters. I now need the 10 issues published by Dark Horse.

nscc
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite title: X-O/Harby/A+A/Unity
Favorite writer: Vditti/Dysart/FVL/Kindt
Favorite artist: soo many pretty pictures...

Post by nscc »

StarBrand wrote:I just read the 6 issues of Roachmill which were published by Blackthhorne. I greatly enjoyed them, and he may end up as one of my all-time favorite characters. I now need the 10 issues published by Dark Horse.

Thats a pretty big endorsement! Now you have me curious too :hm:

Just did some searches online and Dark Horse Presents seems to have had a few roachmill appearances. #'s 17,28,139. 139 is the first after a 7 year absence!

Thank you Comicvine :D

http://www.comicvine.com/roachmill/4005-45730/
Where are we going and why am I in this hand-basket?

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

nscc wrote:
StarBrand wrote:I just read the 6 issues of Roachmill which were published by Blackthhorne. I greatly enjoyed them, and he may end up as one of my all-time favorite characters. I now need the 10 issues published by Dark Horse.

Thats a pretty big endorsement! Now you have me curious too :hm:

Just did some searches online and Dark Horse Presents seems to have had a few roachmill appearances. #'s 17,28,139. 139 is the first after a 7 year absence!

Thank you Comicvine :D

http://www.comicvine.com/roachmill/4005-45730/

Excellent! I'll have to get those too! Thanks. :thumb:

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

I read somewhere Roachmill ceased publishing because of a threatened lawsuit from DC. I'm curious what happened to elicit such a threat. Maybe I'll find out reading the Dark Horse issues. A character that looked very much like Batman appeared in Roachmill 6 from Blackthorne, albeit briefly. I doubt that was enough for a lawsuit, but it may be a forerunner of what happened in the title later.

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »