Ultra rare ...

Comic universes no longer active, Bravura, Continuity, CrossGen, Future, Malibu, Ultraverse... and others that are 'no longer with us' today (or only recently brought back).

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

GGSAE
Getting that sauce across the border ain't easy.
Re: Ultra rare ...

Post by GGSAE »

In case anyone is curious I listed a gold Prime on ebay for $99 or BO. I'll keep you guys posted if I sell it (it's a double from the two that I bought off that one guy). I figure might as well recoup all the costs for the first and make a little profit while the USD is in my favor.

GGSAE

Post by GGSAE »

I don't know if this ebay user is a member here, I got a low-ball offer on the Prime Gold, but then afterwards sent me perhaps the most detailed message I've ever seen.

"Hope you don't mind a few brief comments. I collect Malibu Ultraverse comics and have bought and sold thousands of them. The gold Holograph covers, excepting the Ultraverse gold, were produced between 200-500 each, which is rare if there were a huge market of collectors.

The silver holographs, when they first started showing up on Ebay were selling for $10 to $20 each, but lately, I've seen them go for as little as $3 in small lots.

The golds have over the years, sold for $25 to $50 -- I've never seen one sell for over $50. About 6 months ago, someone listed about 3 or 4 of them for $69 each, BUT they were CGC certified as being over 9.2 out of 10.

CGC certification itself costs about $15, so effectively, the cost of the books was $54 each.

I hope you get $100, because that would certainly raise the price on all the ones I currently have, but I am skeptical. There just aren't that many UV collectors. Good luck.

- wmichaelaz"

I replied back that there have been a few sales of this book raw north of $100, although recently the number available has been high which depressed the sales of some of them.

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]
Valiant fan since: Yes
Favorite character: Yes
Favorite title: Yes
Favorite writer: Yes

Post by depluto »

I don't think he is a member here but he is pretty active on the Facebook Ultraverse page. Definitely one of the big Ultraverse collectors, although he is off on some of his numbers. There were some 100-plus dollar raw golds sold over the last year and the price has settled between $25-50 lately because that dude in Cali keeps listing more copies (not sure how many he has sold ... maybe 30-plus?).

And none of those books were CGC that he is selling ... all PGX. If they were CGC they probably would have sold for more; x-omatic's two CGC 9.8s sold for good money.

But Prime is always going to be a key issue and the last time one was sold was about two months ago for better than $100 (PGX 9.6) and the dude stated then that it was his final copy. It might take a while before the market picks up because just about everybody who wanted one was able to get one over the last year.

GGSAE

Post by GGSAE »

depluto wrote:I don't think he is a member here but he is pretty active on the Facebook Ultraverse page. Definitely one of the big Ultraverse collectors, although he is off on some of his numbers. There were some 100-plus dollar raw golds sold over the last year and the price has settled between $25-50 lately because that dude in Cali keeps listing more copies (not sure how many he has sold ... maybe 30-plus?).

And none of those books were CGC that he is selling ... all PGX. If they were CGC they probably would have sold for more; x-omatic's two CGC 9.8s sold for good money.

But Prime is always going to be a key issue and the last time one was sold was about two months ago for better than $100 (PGX 9.6) and the dude stated then that it was his final copy. It might take a while before the market picks up because just about everybody who wanted one was able to get one over the last year.
Very true, Depluto! And I could have directed him to Zeph's $400/500 (some super high amount) auction which I think is the only other Prime Gold available right now. I might have a deal in place with a boardie here for that book, part of me wants to keep it, but because the USD is so strong right now (everything I sell I get an extra 35-40% relative to the Canadian dollar), I really feel like I should take advantage of that by listings lots of comics. I can buy back the stuff I sold in the future, plus I have the other copy which I'll be holding onto.

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

wmichaelaz, we meet again. Sort of, not really.

That man was once my nemesis.

Tony_H
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: Divinity
Favorite title: Dr. Mirage
Favorite writer: Van Meter
Favorite artist: Braithwaite & Baron

Post by Tony_H »

Thanks again for keeping this thread alive, guys. And thanks to Depluto for your Wordpress CheepUV blog. I've been using both as a resource while tracking down silvers, golds and other things Ultra. Just nabbed a couple of golds earlier this evening. Also, that Brooklyn warehouse of comics I've started going to has tons of UV regulars for $1 each (.50 during sales).

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]

Post by depluto »

I just picked up a few more golds myself. This last year has been really strange with how many of those hit the market. It took me years to put together my first set. I added two more sets over just the last few months and could have easily had more.

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]

Post by depluto »

By the way, there is only one book I need for a complete Ultraverse collection (including all variants) and that is the Firearm Ultra 5000. If I get that book I am pretty sure I will be the only person in the world with a complete run.

Tony_H

Post by Tony_H »

depluto wrote:By the way, there is only one book I need for a complete Ultraverse collection (including all variants) and that is the Firearm Ultra 5000. If I get that book I am pretty sure I will be the only person in the world with a complete run.
If I find a copy, I'll grab it for you. God knows what's in that comic warehouse over on 41st St--finding anything there is like finding a needle in a haystack!

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]

Post by depluto »

I'll make it worth your while!

:banana:

Brother J
Just trying to be self-deprecating
Just trying to be self-deprecating

Post by Brother J »

How cheaply are you picking up UV gold holo covers for? I still need them, but not interested in paying a whole lot.

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]

Post by depluto »

$10 each for a couple of Freex, $15 for a Hardcase, $30 each for a Prime and Strangers. A little more than I wanted to pay for the last two but you just never know when they'll show up again.

Tony_H

Post by Tony_H »

depluto wrote:By the way, there is only one book I need for a complete Ultraverse collection (including all variants) and that is the Firearm Ultra 5000. If I get that book I am pretty sure I will be the only person in the world with a complete run.
There's a Firearm 0 silver foil on eBay right now. Not sure if that's the one you're looking for, because it doesn't have the "Ultra 5000" logo on it. Just in case, here 'tis: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ultraverse-Fire ... SwHnFV3lkh

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]

Post by depluto »

That's the book that came packaged with the Firearm DVD. It's not too hard to find on the cheap. The Firearm 1 Ultra 5000 is a tough, tough book. As far as I know there have only been a couple on eBay over the last 10 years, both in the same month from the same seller.

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]

Post by depluto »

DVD? I meant VHS. What year is this?

:!:

Tony_H

Post by Tony_H »

Thanks for the info, Depluto. For an Ultranovice, the more history, the better! Just grabbed the last two issues I needed to complete the first Rune series today.

GGSAE

Post by GGSAE »

depluto wrote:$10 each for a couple of Freex, $15 for a Hardcase, $30 each for a Prime and Strangers. A little more than I wanted to pay for the last two but you just never know when they'll show up again.
Those were deals! I still can't believe I nabbed those Prime golds for what I paid. If anyone is looking to trade, I think I need 1 or 2 golds still and have an extra Free-X and Mantra.

GGSAE

Post by GGSAE »

Brother J wrote:How cheaply are you picking up UV gold holo covers for? I still need them, but not interested in paying a whole lot.
I really think the last 4-5 months is the peak in these books supply that we'll see for a long-time.

Shadow_Contact
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)

Post by Shadow_Contact »

Ughhh, I stop looking for about a year and I see you guys got Gold Holo's on the cheap :(

GGSAE

Post by GGSAE »

Shadow_Contact wrote:Ughhh, I stop looking for about a year and I see you guys got Gold Holo's on the cheap :(
I haven't bought anything on ebay in months, but when I was more active I had the app on my phone that snagged me some deals. That's how I pulled the two Prime Golds off that same guy cheap....those two sellers were really working against each other, they should have formed a cartel, haha.

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]

Post by depluto »

Last two golds I tried to buy ... one never made it to me, the other turned out to be a silver.

GGSAE

Post by GGSAE »

depluto wrote:Last two golds I tried to buy ... one never made it to me, the other turned out to be a silver.

Damn that sucks, was the latter advertised as a gold? The vast majority of sellers are ignorant with the difference between silver and gold, the best response I had was: "these are all silver, there's no golds although it would be cool if they made some!" :lol:

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]

Post by depluto »

GGSAE wrote:
depluto wrote:Last two golds I tried to buy ... one never made it to me, the other turned out to be a silver.

Damn that sucks, was the latter advertised as a gold? The vast majority of sellers are ignorant with the difference between silver and gold, the best response I had was: "these are all silver, there's no golds although it would be cool if they made some!" :lol:
Yep, he thought it was gold because of the way the light reflected, I guess. Was very cool about giving a refund and told me to keep the book.

Tony_H

Post by Tony_H »

The Hard Case gold I picked up recently is a PGX "9.2" with more dings than Bonnie and Clyde's last car. I knew what I was getting into, though: happy as I am to have possession of that particular piece of the Ultraverse, there's no way I'd buy something like an old Marvel Conan that's been graded by those clowns.

TravAzz

Post by TravAzz »

I'm new to the Ultraverse variant and hologram game. Does anyone have any extra gold holos they would part with?