Ultra rare ...

Comic universes no longer active, Bravura, Continuity, CrossGen, Future, Malibu, Ultraverse... and others that are 'no longer with us' today (or only recently brought back).

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]
Valiant fan since: Yes
Favorite character: Yes
Favorite title: Yes
Favorite writer: Yes
Re: Ultra rare ...

Post by depluto »

GGSAE wrote:Man I got a set of those silvers + the ultraforce gold with a BIN for $39.99 and no action....ebay is so funny sometimes.
If I didn't already have like 100 of these I would be on that.

The guy selling the golds didn't do as well on his second go-round, except for a Prime cracking plus-$100.

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

GGSAE wrote:Man I got a set of those silvers + the ultraforce gold with a BIN for $39.99 and no action....ebay is so funny sometimes.
I actually held off on buying these from you because of the heat that was discussed here for these books. I thought you might fetch more on eBay. If you want to do a deal (set your price) off eBay, I'm still interested.
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

GGSAE
Getting that sauce across the border ain't easy.

Post by GGSAE »

lorddunlow wrote:
I actually held off on buying these from you because of the heat that was discussed here for these books. I thought you might fetch more on eBay. If you want to do a deal (set your price) off eBay, I'm still interested.
Well the original price of $45 shipped still stands...I don't know if you're looking to get it less than that, it's probably gonna cost me $15 to ship them. I'm not lowering the price on these off ebay, that's already really low. The only reason I'm selling that cheap is because I've needed to clear space....

GGSAE

Post by GGSAE »

/?mkcid=1&mkrid=711-53200-19255-0&siteid=0&campid=5337361014&customid=&toolid=10001&mkevt=1" target="_blank" blockquote>
depluto wrote:
If I didn't already have like 100 of these I would be on that.

The guy selling the golds didn't do as well on his second go-round, except for a Prime cracking plus-$100.
Being in Canada really hurts me as a seller sometimes. I often list items for lower than anything found on ebay.com and they still take longer than average to sell. I have to be patient as a seller, but I don't understand why some buyers completely ignore foreign sellers.

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

GGSAE wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:
Well the original price of $45 shipped still stands...I don't know if you're looking to get it less than that, it's probably gonna cost me $15 to ship them. I'm not lowering the price on these off ebay, that's already really low. The only reason I'm selling that cheap is because I've needed to clear space....
I wasn't trying to lowball you at all! I was more saying if the price you quoted me before was lower than you wanted to sell them for, that we could discuss a price you thought was fair. I was more referencing the fact that depluto was saying these were taking off.

If no one has bought them, I'm still interested at $45. That seems like a great deal!

GGSAE

Post by GGSAE »

lorddunlow wrote:
GGSAE wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:
I wasn't trying to lowball you at all! I was more saying if the price you quoted me before was lower than you wanted to sell them for, that we could discuss a price you thought was fair. I was more referencing the fact that depluto was saying these were taking off.

If no one has bought them, I'm still interested at $45. That seems like a great deal!
Did you still want these? I sent you a pm and you never responded.

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

GGSAE wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:
GGSAE wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:

Did you still want these? I sent you a pm and you never responded.
Crap! I forgot all about it.

Yes. I'll send payment today.

GGSAE

Post by GGSAE »

Seems like that seller out of the LA area has flooded the market, the price of the holograms have been cheap - great for buyers!

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]

Post by depluto »

GGSAE wrote:Seems like that seller out of the LA area has flooded the market, the price of the holograms have been cheap - great for buyers!
Yeah, they're ticking down in the $30-40 range for his 9.4/9.6 graded ones (for some reason he did them all through PGX). I'm not sure how many he has left but he must have a primary source for these. That's pretty close to my "buy" range. I now have two full sets of golds with plenty of extras.

GGSAE

Post by GGSAE »

depluto wrote:
GGSAE wrote:Seems like that seller out of the LA area has flooded the market, the price of the holograms have been cheap - great for buyers!
Yeah, they're ticking down in the $30-40 range for his 9.4/9.6 graded ones (for some reason he did them all through PGX). I'm not sure how many he has left but he must have a primary source for these. That's pretty close to my "buy" range. I now have two full sets of golds with plenty of extras.
This is like canvas cutie dumping those x-os on the market, but this overall supply is much lower. I just bought two prime golds from a different seller who's listed a bunch recently, the price is really cheap because of this guy dumping his copies. That 9.4 Prime went from what, $150-200? to $90, then $40? Talk about selling it against yourself.....I don't know how many more he has but it is tempting to list more, especially when Joe still has his copy for $500, :lol:

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]

Post by depluto »

GGSAE wrote:
depluto wrote:
This is like canvas cutie dumping those x-os on the market, but this overall supply is much lower. I just bought two prime golds from a different seller who's listed a bunch recently, the price is really cheap because of this guy dumping his copies. That 9.4 Prime went from what, $150-200? to $90, then $40? Talk about selling it against yourself.....I don't know how many more he has but it is tempting to list more, especially when Joe still has his copy for $500, :lol:
I just saw those others ... you're the guy who got those? Good snag!

So now we have two guys dumping a bunch of golds. The new guy just listed seven as auctions after all his cheap BINs were scooped up. The others had connections to that infamous day when Malibu threw everything in the dumpster. Wonder what the deal is with this guy?

GGSAE

Post by GGSAE »

depluto wrote:
GGSAE wrote:
depluto wrote:
I just saw those others ... you're the guy who got those? Good snag!

So now we have two guys dumping a bunch of golds. The new guy just listed seven as auctions after all his cheap BINs were scooped up. The others had connections to that infamous day when Malibu threw everything in the dumpster. Wonder what the deal is with this guy?
Can you share me the story of the guy who bought these from the dumpster, depluto!

Yes I just bought both of those golds, as crazy as it sounds at that price (and what's even crazier is that I made an offer and risked someone hitting the BIN!) I bought each copy to bring my total cost/copy down as shipping to Canada is high but not too bad in bulk.

A year ago and probably even six months ago I would have jizzed my pants over seeing a 9.4 (even if it is PGX) for $40! I just think the constant selling of something that's usually insanely rare has killed the prices on these.....I don't know the backstory with these, so I don't know how many more they have to dump on the market.

GGSAE

Post by GGSAE »

I should also point out that these buys are the first comics (aside from spending $40 on a bunch of Batmans locally) that I've bought in months! I've been in steady, selling mood, which probably is impinging my buying limits.

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]

Post by depluto »

I've heard different versions of the dumpster story, but the generic version is that Malibu used to keep extra incentive comics (holograms, Ultra 5000s, etc.) in a closet to give away here and there. Marvel bought the Ultraverse and a bit later shut down the office in California. All of the extra product was thrown out that day, although some employees were able to cart off all they wanted. But the majority of incentive books ended up, literally, in a dumpster.

GGSAE

Post by GGSAE »

Anybody purchase that last set of golds? I was watching them, but didn't put any bids in.....I'm dealing with that seller on those primes I bought, hope he doesn't screw me!

Tony_H
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: Divinity
Favorite title: Dr. Mirage
Favorite writer: Van Meter
Favorite artist: Braithwaite & Baron

Post by Tony_H »

GGSAE wrote:Anybody purchase that last set of golds? I was watching them, but didn't put any bids in.....I'm dealing with that seller on those primes I bought, hope he doesn't screw me!
I got the Ultraforce #1 for $5. The peculiar thing about the picture of it was that it didn't look like pics of Ultraforce #1 golds I've seen elsewhere. Was a non-gold, non-silver holo variant made of that book? I figured, what the heck? I don't own any copies of that issue anyway. Bidded on the others, but was limited by bills that showed up in the mail this week.

Earlier this year, somebody used an Ultraverse issue as packing material for some Valiant books I'd bought, and I read it and got hooked as a one-shot junkie.

GGSAE

Post by GGSAE »

Tony_H wrote:
GGSAE wrote:Anybody purchase that last set of golds? I was watching them, but didn't put any bids in.....I'm dealing with that seller on those primes I bought, hope he doesn't screw me!
I got the Ultraforce #1 for $5. The peculiar thing about the picture of it was that it didn't look like pics of Ultraforce #1 golds I've seen elsewhere. Was a non-gold, non-silver holo variant made of that book? I figured, what the heck? I don't own any copies of that issue anyway. Bidded on the others, but was limited by bills that showed up in the mail this week.

Earlier this year, somebody used an Ultraverse issue as packing material for some Valiant books I'd bought, and I read it and got hooked as a one-shot junkie.
hehehe interesting way to get hooked! To my knowledge there is no silver holo, but let us know when it arrives, these books are hard to tell by ebay photos whether its gold or silver, I often have to ask the seller to confirm.

Tony_H

Post by Tony_H »

The Ultraforce was indeed gold, and a beaut to boot. The conditions of all the books I got from that vendor were as advertised; he seems like a nice guy from his replies to my emails. These covers are a trip! My wife even likes them, and she's not generally a superhero-comic fan. After we remodel the basement, they're going up on the wall.

GGSAE

Post by GGSAE »

Tony_H wrote:The Ultraforce was indeed gold, and a beaut to boot. The conditions of all the books I got from that vendor were as advertised; he seems like a nice guy from his replies to my emails. These covers are a trip! My wife even likes them, and she's not generally a superhero-comic fan. After we remodel the basement, they're going up on the wall.
I'm still waiting on my books, I'll email the seller to see we're they're at, a bit slow in shipping...

GGSAE

Post by GGSAE »

GGSAE wrote:
Tony_H wrote:The Ultraforce was indeed gold, and a beaut to boot. The conditions of all the books I got from that vendor were as advertised; he seems like a nice guy from his replies to my emails. These covers are a trip! My wife even likes them, and she's not generally a superhero-comic fan. After we remodel the basement, they're going up on the wall.
I'm still waiting on my books, I'll email the seller to see we're they're at, a bit slow in shipping...
Got my books today! :clap:

Tony_H

Post by Tony_H »

GGSAE wrote:Got my books today! :clap:
:thumb: Good news, sir! You guys have definitely enabled some fresh addiction here. Last Friday, I got a box-full of VF reading copies of various & sundry Ultraforces & Malibus from a dealer in upstate NY (Exiles, Freex, Foxfire, etc.). So many books, so little time...

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]

Post by depluto »

Hard to believe how many golds are moving this year. A few years back you might see less than 10 a year on eBay.

GGSAE

Post by GGSAE »

depluto wrote:Hard to believe how many golds are moving this year. A few years back you might see less than 10 a year on eBay.
Ya, definitely! I had customs searches on ebay and would have to wait months for something to pop up then hope I could get it cheap. Just like canvas cutie, why sellers with excess stock dump copies on themselves depressing prices is anyone's guess, but it's those moments you have to jump on books as a buyer.

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]

Post by depluto »

I've never been able to figure out exactly how many of these were originally distributed, or how. A couple of the guys who (back in the day) actually sent out incentive covers are active in the Ultraverse Facebook group but it's been a while and nobody talks actual numbers.

At SDCC a couple of years ago the original publisher of Malibu said when they originally printed the silver hologram covers (5,000 each) he paid for 200 each of the gold versions out of his own pocket to give out as rewards or incentives. He would probably know the whole story of what happened. He also has an NDA regarding the sale of the Ultraverse to Marvel. Nobody on either side will talk about exactly why the properties are not being used.

But some of the Ultraverse concepts are pretty cool and would translate well into today's marketplace, or even into films. All of these properties are owned by Disney. It will probably never happen, but if it did, a revival of the Ultraverse in any form would make these some pretty awesome books to own.

I thought when that first guy started selling his golds for big bucks a few months ago that some other sellers would come out of the woodwork, but the fact that the second guy set his Prime golds up with $20 BINs (and then took your offer for less!) means he wasn't really paying attention.

GGSAE

Post by GGSAE »

depluto wrote:I've never been able to figure out exactly how many of these were originally distributed, or how. A couple of the guys who (back in the day) actually sent out incentive covers are active in the Ultraverse Facebook group but it's been a while and nobody talks actual numbers.

At SDCC a couple of years ago the original publisher of Malibu said when they originally printed the silver hologram covers (5,000 each) he paid for 200 each of the gold versions out of his own pocket to give out as rewards or incentives. He would probably know the whole story of what happened. He also has an NDA regarding the sale of the Ultraverse to Marvel. Nobody on either side will talk about exactly why the properties are not being used.

But some of the Ultraverse concepts are pretty cool and would translate well into today's marketplace, or even into films. All of these properties are owned by Disney. It will probably never happen, but if it did, a revival of the Ultraverse in any form would make these some pretty awesome books to own.

I thought when that first guy started selling his golds for big bucks a few months ago that some other sellers would come out of the woodwork, but the fact that the second guy set his Prime golds up with $20 BINs (and then took your offer for less!) means he wasn't really paying attention.
Ya, HAHA. To think I was so cheap I ran the risk of losing both to save $10 total in hindsight is a bit crazy (I also wasn't 100% sure they were Golds). Like all super HTF variants, the screaming deals people get (and we can look at all the Valiant/Acclaims purchased in the Bragging rights thread over the years) are almost always attributed to seller ignorance.